Kingdom of Gaerdin, 16th century.
When Mistress Hélène Feuillets won the intimacy of the king, Henry III, she thought she could finally be happy. It was common knowledge the king must have a son, an heir to the throne, and he needed to have him soon. Hélène went to break conventions and looked out for the most sought after prize: her son on the throne of Gaerdin. And although the way looked grim and bloody, she continued to tread on the path towards glory.
"He likes to believe this will be a son. He's not getting any younger, and so is the queen. I will bet my life that he is really considering putting Beatrice aside and invest on me, someone still young and fertile." she explained, "He's been playing this game just as you would do it grandfather. Tempus fugit, so he'll strike the iron while it's hot."
Incest, adultery, and power struggle-can Hélène, a commoner by birth, dethrone the current queen, a princess of the enemy kingdom? Or will she fail, never to be heard of again?
This was the story of Hélène, who learned that people can only be good or bad. There was no middle ground. The choice was only to go to Heaven, or to Hell
Copyright © TheSquiress 2013
All Rights Reserved.
No part of this manuscript may be reproduced without TheSquiress' express consent
//note: Technically, this does not go under the Historical fiction category, but for my convenience, it will be placed under it.//
- Chapter 1 - The Victor
- Chapter 2 - Natal day
- Chapter 3 - Preferences
- Chapter 4 - Queen
- Chapter 5 - A Knight Triumphant
- Chapter 6 - Plans
- Chapter 7 - Taken Ill
- Chapter 8 - Confrontation
- Chapter 9 - Previous Lives
- Chapter 10 - A Chance to the Throne
- Chapter 11 - A Mother's Love
- Chapter 12 - Masquerade
- Chapter 13 - Wake
- Chapter 14 - Lip Service and Loyalties
- Chapter 15 - Departure
- Chapter 16 - Reunions
- Chapter 17 - Persuasion
- Chapter 18 - Earthbound angels
- Chapter 19 - Façade
- Chapter 20 - Innocent beginnings
- Chapter 21 - Brother and Sister
- Chapter 22 - The Changing Tides
- Chapter 23 - Dreams That Cannot Be
- Chapter 24 - Quod scripsi, scripsi
- Chapter 25 - Their Last Communion
- Chapter 26 - In Full Bloom
- Chapter 27 - Encounters
- Chapter 28 - Trust
- Chapter 29 - Unfortunate families
- Chapter 30 - Jure Uxoris