It's 1955, and Penny Snow arrives at Black Gables. As live-in secretary to the tycoon Frank Goldhill-Chambers, she meets the rest of the family and staff and soon discovers that all is not well.
At first, Penny has the usual questions on her mind: Why has Estelle Chambers been expelled from every school she has ever attended? Where did thirteen-year-old Jenny Chambers learn to build homemade bombs?
Then there's the mysterious cook, the theiving butler, the flashy gardener and the ex-landgirl chauffeur, each with something to hide, and all with their own reasons to celebrate when their employer is found dead.
The only trouble is, he was murdered - - and even the children have their reasons for wanting him out of the way...
- Author's Note
- Chapter 1: Penny Snow
- Chapter 2: Black Gables
- Chapter 3: Kitchen Gossip
- Chapter 4: An Unconventional Dinner Party
- Chapter 5: The Poison Pen
- Chapter 6: Big Girls Don't Cry
- Chapter 7: Gunpowder Treason and Plot
- Chapter 8: Looks Like The Vagrant Did It
- Chapter 9: Curtains, Smoke and String
- Author's Note: Suspects/Predictions Page
- Chapter 10: The Plot Thickens
- Chapter 11: Secrets and Lies
- Chapter 12: Past and Present
- Chapter 13: Poor Little Fox
- Suspects/Predictions Page (2)
- Chapter 14: Marlene
- Chapter 15: Unravelling
- Chapter 16: Confessions
- Chapter 17: It Was You
- Epilogue: 2012