I am a 19 year old girl with autism. As autistic person there are a lot of things non-autistic people can tell you. Some are out of curiosity while others might be intended to offend you.
In this book I will discuss 11 things that people with autism are tired of hearing from non-autistic poeple. In each chapter I will give a repsonse to these things by adding some experiences of my own life.
Please share your own experiences, whether you are autistic or not, in the comments. I am always curious to read what other people think.
- 1 'You don't look autistic'
- 2 'Everyone's a little autistic'
- 3 'Can't you just be normal?'
- 4 'But you're not thát autistic'
- 5 'You are nothing like...'
- 6 'Autistic people don't have emotions'
- 7 'High functioning versus low functioning'
- 8 'He is weird so he must be autistic'
- 9 'Vaccines cause autism'
- 10 'I rather have a sick/dead child than an autistic child'
- 11 'Autism is a disease that needs to be cured'
- question: autism or autistic?