SERVING UP A STORY is a collection of creative writing tips, exercises, prompts, and essays.
It starts with twenty-five exercises designed to teach you the art of writing "shorts." What, may you ask, is a short? It's a piece of writing that generally doesn't exceed 500 words, and writing one is a wonderful way to get rid of unnecessary detail. It deep-sixes the info-dump of backstory and gets you writing from your heart. In the end, you'll have a tightly crafted bit of writing that will cut to the quick and hit your reader right in the feels. The extra bonus? You can use these little gems later on by fleshing them out to turn them into longer stories. Because the whole story is going to be there: the beginning, the middle, and the end.
When you've made it through the exercises, you can relax with a few (hopefully) humorous essays about the trials and tribulations of writing; the good, the bad, and the ugly. It's all here.
I hope you enjoy SERVING UP A STORY. Happy writing.
- THE MUSE HAS LEFT THE BUILDING!
- SO, WHAT EXACTLY IS GOING ON HERE?
- 10 Sure-fire Ways to Nail your First Draft!
- HOW TO DRESS LIKE A WRITER
- Seventh Book from the Left
- SERVING UP A SENTENCE
- Talk, Talk, Talk
- FIVE LITTLE WORDS
- WRITING WITH HEART
- TELL ME FOURTEEN THINGS
- I REMEMBER
- THE LETTER
- THE BUS STOP
- DEAR JOHN...DEAR JANE...
- STORY FOR A SONG
- TELL IT LIKE IT IS
- THE SET UP
- COULDA, WOULDA, SHOULDA
- JUDGING A BOOK BY ITS COVER
- SOMETIMES IT'S OKAY TO QUIT
- WRITING IS BAD FOR YOU
- PICTURE STORY
- TEN LITTLE WORDS
- WHEN THE WELL RUNS DRY: What I learned from a year-long bout of Writer's Block
- The Time Suck of Social Media
- A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT...SOMETIMES.
- BIG MAC ATTACK
- Being Messy is a Sign of a Creative Mind
- The Importance of the Ugly Man-Sweater
- The Writer's Notebook
- And, That's a Wrap!