Jessie is a twenty first century kinda gal. She's got a newly minted university degree and a plane ticket to Paris. The plan? Celebrate graduation with a week in the City of Love, drink some cheap French wine and kiss as many French girls (or boys, she's not picky) as she can. Only, she never quite makes it.
Mid-Atlantic, a mysterious accident sends Jessie hurtling to what should be a watery grave. Rescued from the ocean, Jessie is lucky to be alive. Only problem? The crew of the ship she's on is convinced it's sailing vessel that just narrowly missed out on participating in the Battle of Trafalgar.
Stuck in Regency-era England, Jessie is left with no choice but to enter into the services of as a maid and companion in return for what shelter her new employer can provide, and resign herself to a life of quiet servitude and forever hiding her sexuality.
What she didn't count on was that her new boss would be Margaret Goodenough - the world famous authoress whose yet-to-be-completed novel was the first lesbian kiss in the history of British Literature, and a clever woman. Clever enough to know her new servant has a secret.
Now Jessie is caught. Margaret's own perception of her place in society is transforming, the text of her novel is slowly changing, and Margaret herself is finally unafraid to embrace her own Sapphic desires. Margaret - and her main characters - are turning into irresistibly headstrong and modern women.
Jessie must tread the tenuous line between finding her own happiness in a world where she is alone, and accidentally changing the course of history. Should Jessie suppress the manuscript, or is her duty to the woman she's learning to love?
What is a twenty first century gal to do?
Cover Photo: Jenn LeBlanc & Getty Images
Cover by: @RodneyVSmith
- Author's Forward
- Chapter One: In Which Jessie Falls From The Sky
- Chapter Two: In Which Jessie Is Unwell
- Chapter Three: In Which Jessie Tours the Ship
- Chapter Four: In Which Jessie Comes To Land
- Chapter Five: In Which Jessie Starts a Brawl
- Chapter Six: In Which Jessie Arrives
- Chapter Seven: In Which Jessie Attends A Funeral
- Chapter Eight: In Which Jessie Goes A Bit Mad
- Chapter Nine: In Which Jessie Meets Her Match
- Chapter Ten: In Which Jessie Loses a Fight
- Chapter Eleven: In Which Jessie Then Wins One
- Chapter Twelve: In Which Jessie Goes to a Wedding
- Chapter Thirteen: In Which Jessie Reflects
- Chapter Fourteen: In Which Jessie Rebounds
- Chapter Fifteen: In Which Jessie Is On Her Way
- Chapter Sixteen: In Which Jessie Meets the Competition
- Chapter Seventeen: In Which Jessie Shares a Truth
- Chapter Eighteen: In Which Jessie Meets Margaret
- Chapter Nineteen: In Which Jessie Makes a Friend
- Chapter Twenty: In Which Jessie Takes Employment
- Chapter Twenty-One: In Which Jessie is Caught
- Chapter Twenty-Two: In Which Jessie Tests Limits
- Chapter Twenty-Three: In Which Jessie Reads
- Chapter Twenty-Four: In Which Jessie Spills the Beans
- Chapter Twenty-Five: In Which Jessie Comes To A Realization
- Chapter Twenty-Six: In Which Jessie is Married
- Chapter Twenty-Seven: In Which Jessie Witnesses History