Adelaide in Ozghard, Book 1: Down the Rabbit...
Somewhere... down the rabbit hole, over the rainbow, and straight on till morning... there is a world beyond the one we know. It is a small island of life, an insulated bubble in a vast, frozen desert. These "Lasting Lands" are home to diminutive gnomes, gargantuan trolls, spellbinding elves, and a secretive family of goblins pulling all the strings. And living among them is an underclass of "Shadows" who look a lot like us.
Adelaide Batiste is a girl with two souls. Her other self―her secret self―is a restless spirit named Ada. Together, the pair make their way across the lightbridge to Ozghard, where a dangerous chain of events is set into motion. Between two worlds, the girls uncover the truth of their past, which leaves them tumbling headlong into an uncertain future.
Continued in Book 2: Over the Rainbow, this story is a loose retelling of both Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, but heavily influenced by Norse mythology. Similar novels include:
* The Wee Free Men (Terry Pratchett)
* The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making (Catherynne M. Valente)
* The Graveyard Book (Neil Gaiman)
* Redwall (Brian Jacques)
* Howl's Moving Castle (Diana Wynne Jones)
Length: 40,300 words, 161 pages
* Watty Winner (2015, "Hidden Gems")
* Fairytale Retelling Community Award Winner (2016, "Terrific Twists")
* Featured (June 2015)
* Wattpad4 Contest Winner (May 2015)