The thirteenth novel in The Shadow Wars.
At the edge of explored space sits a desert world known only as Ash. It supports a minuscule population of miserable soldiers, technicians, and scientists. Why are they here? A year ago, a deep space government probe discovered an ancient alien device of unknown origins. It doesn't belong to the Cyr, it's much older than that.
When all communications are suddenly lost with Ash and none of the teams sent to investigate report back, the government decides to put Anomalous Operations on the case.
Having survived harrowing horror sessions of their own, newcomers Jennifer North and Eric Starck are looking to prove their worth to their new boss, (and to see just how interesting the galaxy really is). Veterans of the strange and unusual Drake Winters and Greg Bishop are just looking to get the job done, as they've got problems of their own to deal with nowadays.
But none of them are even remotely prepared for the unholy hell that awaits them on Ash. It will push them past their breaking point. They will be forced beyond hope, beyond reason, beyond sanity...
- Chapter 01: Socially Awkward
- Chapter 02: Life on the Dauntless
- Chapter 03: Mission Briefing
- Chapter 04: The Calm Before
- Chapter 05: Obsidian Sun Rising
- Chapter 06: Watched
- Chapter 07: Whispers
- Chapter 08: Pain
- Chapter 09: Into Hell
- Chapter 10: The Long Road
- Chapter 11: The Labyrinth
- Chapter 12: Decay & Dementia
- Chapter 13: One Billion Years in the Making
- Chapter 14: The Catacombs
- Chapter 15: Beyond Pain, Beyond Sanity
- Epilogue: Hell & Back