Life doesn't abide by the rules of a child. Sixteen-year-old Ramona knows this.
She's seen it throughout her entire life, from the way she was treated by her birth parents to the way she was thrown around the foster system with nothing but her little brother, Mason, to hold onto. Every bruised cheek and broken bone has slowly shattered Ramona's trust in the system and any foster parent she's ever met.
In the end, it's only Mason she can trust. Her life is dedicated to making his better, and focused solely on sheltering him from the pain of feeling as lonely as she is.
That is, until Ramona gets news one day that may just uproot everything she's ever believed about her and Mason's situation. Everything is about change for Mason, all because of a man named Owen Parker. He wants to take the only thing that Ramona has ever truly loved. He wants to adopt her brother, and there is nothing she can do to stop him.
Though after years of running and years of pain, Ramona knows just how badly Mason needs a home. It's a breath of fresh air for him, a family filled with love, and everything that Mason has never had.
But then, what about Ramona?
She's brotherless, parentless, and alone in a city that has never cared about her. She has to find a way to cope, and she has to find a way to forgive the man who took her little boy from her. But she can't cope, she can't forgive, and she can only bend so many times before she breaks.
Warning: This story deals with mature content that may be difficult for some to read, such as self-harm, suicide, drug use, abuse, depression, anxiety, and sexual harassment.
|#1| - adopted
|#1| - fosterkid
|#1| - fostercare
|#1| - foster
|#1| - suicideawareness
|#1| - recovery
|#1| - comingofage
|#1| - mentalillness
|#1| - strength
|#2| - adoption
- chapter one | beginning of the end.
- chapter two | break.
- chapter three | fire.
- chapter four | bittersweet.
- chapter five | uncomfortably numb.
- chapter six | aching.
- chapter seven | better alone.
- chapter eight | sweet sorrow.
- chapter nine | tension.
- chapter ten | not sorry.
- chapter eleven | drowning.
- chapter twelve | misery.
- chapter thirteen | adrenaline.
- chapter fourteen | home.
- chapter fifteen | too late.
- chapter sixteen | if only.
- chapter seventeen | l i e .
- chapter eighteen | let you down.
- chapter nineteen | crash.
- chapter twenty | pain.
- chapter twenty one | new beginnings.
- chapter twenty two | vertigo.
- chapter twenty three | signs.
- chapter twenty four | lovely.
- chapter twenty five | belong.
- chapter twenty six | catch me.
- chapter twenty seven | hopeless.
- chapter twenty eight | stay.
- chapter twenty nine | cherish.
- chapter thirty | the bad and the evil.
- chapter thirty one | endless nightmare.
- chapter thirty two | before i close my eyes.
- chapter thirty three | tragedy.
- chapter thirty four | before.
- chapter thirty five | nightingale.
- chapter thirty six | after.
- chapter thirty seven | deceit.
- chapter thirty eight | the end of all things.
- 38.5 | between.
- chapter thirty nine | begin again.
- chapter forty | breathe.