In 1866, ships of several nations spot a mysterious sea monster, which some suggest is a giant narwhal. The US government assembles an expedition to find and destroy the monster. Professor Pierre Aronnax, a French marine biologist (and narrator within the story) receives a last-minute invitation to join the expedition.
As the expedition travels south around Cape Horn into the Pacific Ocean, the crew finds the monster after a long search and then attack it, but the ship is damaged with the three main protagonists thrown into the water. They are quickly captured and then meet the enigmatic Captain Nemo.
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea is a classic science fiction novel by French writer Jules Verne and was originally published in 1870.
The novel was originally serialized between March 1869 and June 1870 in Pierre-Jules Hetzel's periodical, the Magasin d'Éducation et de Récréation. An illustrated edition, published by Hetzel in November 1871, included 111 illustrations by Alphonse de Neuville and Édouard Riou.
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea is regarded as one of the premiere adventure novels and one of Verne's greatest works, along with Around the World in Eighty Days and Journey to the Center of the Earth.
Cover done by @sinadan
- CHAPTER 1 - A Runaway Reef
- CHAPTER 2 - The Pros and Cons
- CHAPTER 3 - As Master Wishes
- CHAPTER 4 - Ned Land
- CHAPTER 5 - At Random!
- CHAPTER 6 - At Full Steam
- CHAPTER 7 - A Whale of Unknown Species
- CHAPTER 8 - "Mobilis in Mobili"
- CHAPTER 9 - The Tantrums of Ned Land
- CHAPTER 10 - The Man of the Waters
- CHAPTER 11 - The Nautilus
- CHAPTER 12 - Everything through Electricity
- CHAPTER 13 - Some Figures
- CHAPTER 14 - The Black Current
- CHAPTER 15 - An Invitation in Writing
- CHAPTER 16 - Strolling the Plains
- CHAPTER 17 - An Underwater Forest
- CHAPTER 18 - Four Thousand Leagues Under the Pacific
- CHAPTER 19 - Vanikoro
- CHAPTER 20 - The Torres Strait
- CHAPTER 21 - Some Days Ashore
- CHAPTER 22 - The Lightning Bolts of Captain Nemo
- CHAPTER 23 - "Aegri Somnia"*
- CHAPTER 24 - The Coral Realm
- Part 2 - CHAPTER 1- The Indian Ocean
- CHAPTER 2 - A New Proposition from Captain Nemo
- CHAPTER 3 - A Pearl Worth Ten Million
- CHAPTER 4 - The Red Sea
- CHAPTER 5 - Arabian Tunnel
- CHAPTER 6 - The Greek Islands
- CHAPTER 7 - The Mediterranean in Forty-Eight Hours
- CHAPTER 8 - The Bay of Vigo
- CHAPTER 9 - A Lost Continent
- CHAPTER 10 - The Underwater Coalfields
- CHAPTER 11 - The Sargasso Sea
- CHAPTER 12 - Sperm Whales and Baleen Whales
- CHAPTER 13 - The Ice Bank
- CHAPTER 14 - The South Pole
- CHAPTER 15 - Accident or Incident?
- CHAPTER 16 - Shortage of Air
- CHAPTER 17 - From Cape Horn to the Amazon
- CHAPTER 18 - The Devilfish
- CHAPTER 19 - The Gulf Stream
- CHAPTER 20 - In Latitude 47 degrees 24' and Longitude 17 degrees 28'
- CHAPTER 21 - A Mass Execution
- CHAPTER 22 - The Last Words of Captain Nemo
- CHAPTER 23 - Conclusion