the failings of a surgically healed heart, is a series of autobiographical poems arranged into six thematic parts to form a collection which examines the idea of the collective and how that informs individual.
an exploration of my relationship with the men and boys in my household and how that has worsened, whilst the opposite is true of the rest of my family
an exploration of the immigrant experience and how as the first child of igbo parents; i was the intermediate between the east and west
an exploration of growing up in the catholic faith and an examination of all its faults and hypocrisies.
an exploration of friendship, artistry, sexuality, failed romance, but most importantly self-love and all it entails.
an exploration of how in many ways puberty was a bitter sweet reality check along with everything that it entailed.
a reflection on the worst period of time in my life where, with hindsight, i come to terms with harsh and lovely realities of life and death.
「updates: a new poem every wednesday and friday 」
highest rank: #66 in poetry
- a preface, of sorts
- i. family
- INTERLUDE (i);
- 1 | to be synonymous with sickness/my father
- 2 | the patriarchy within our homes
- 3 | an absense of my father (and everything else that hurt me)
- 4 | the ones who inspire poetry and nothing else
- 5 | an unsent love letter to my mama
- ii. immigrant
- INTERLUDE (ii);
- 1 | mother tongue
- 2 | nigeria is (not) home
- 3 | on feeling foreign in a family of foreigners
- 4 | americanah
- 5 | the failure of the immigrant dream
- iii. spirituality
- INTERLUDE (iii);
- 1 | a retelling of genesis
- 2 | for the bible paintings that white wash the brown people it was based on
- 3 | i question god's intentions
- 4 | on catholic guilt
- 5 | what am i to do if heaven is no better than earth?
- iv. loving
- INTERLUDE (iv);
- 1 | on unrequited self-love
- 2 | to all the friends i've loved before
- 3 | method writer
- 4 | alternate universe in which i am white/desirable
- 5 | for the love of mean girls!
- v. womanhood
- INTERLUDE (v);
- 1 | rebirth/puberty
- 2 | ode to all the angry in my black woman body
- 3 | when i am ungrateful for my roots
- 4 | accidental lessons i learnt from my mother about motherhood
- 5 | feminism is best served sunny side up
- vi. catharsis
- INTERLUDE (vi);
- 1 | when i have fears that i may cease to be
- 2 | la petite mort 'the little death'
- 3 | a working progress
- 4 | the great depression (and anxiety)
- 5 | the author; revised