Kitten (Brian&Leah,1)

By Alwyn_Knighton

He's the guy moms warn their daughters about. Bold, outspoken, and self-confident, Brian O'Brien returns to h... More

Foreword
1. Home Again
2. Stay Away
3. The Legend Is Back
4. Charity Case
5. The O'Brien Men
6. The Invitation
7. Savage
8. I'm Glad You Came
9. The Temple
10. Grounded
11. Movies and Convos
12. The Offer
Characters
BOOK TRAILER
13. His Place
14. Sleepless
15. The Date
16. Call Her
17. Bucket Lists
18. We'll Be There
19. A Rescue Mission
20. Whoa, Tiger
21. Average
22. Eighteen
23. Too Good
24. Like Casper
25. Wanna Be
26. Little One
27. Cockroach
28. Heartbroken
29. Dakota
30. Sick Games
31. Kisses and Blows
32. Regrets
33. Real
34. Get Out
35. Secrets
36. Big Brother
37. Someone Like Him
38. Happy Birthday
39. Tequila and the Stars
44. The Decision
45. Tiger
46. Until This Night
47. The Moon and the Sun
49. Everything but Us
50. Because of Me
51. I Love You
EPILOGUE
40. The Future
41. The Fight
42. A Heart-to-heart
43. Forgiveness and Revelations

48. The Truth

7K 422 386
By Alwyn_Knighton

"Mitchell," Eric repeats, wiping at his eyes.

My voice is small and shaky as I utter, "Yes."

I know that I am staring at the tall, handsome man in front of me with hope. Hope that he might be my dad. Hope that he might be a good person. Hope that he might want me.

But then, he looks at his feet — his boot-clad feet, not me — and says, "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, but I cannot do this."

Eric pivots and marches to the front door, which slams shut behind him. Frozen, I barely register Brian's dad rushing after his friend.

A pathetic, loud sob leaves my mouth. I dart up the stairs, taking two steps at a time, and collapse on Brian's bed, letting the tears flow as my body shakes.

Brian followed me. I feel his arms around me and his tender kisses. He rocks me as if I were a baby and holds me while I break down.

What did I expect? That somehow, I would be the exception to the rule everyone knows, the one that says fathers who abandon their kids hardly ever regret it?

I am Leah Mitchell, a girl raised in poverty by her single, bitter mother. My life isn't a fairy tale. I shouldn't have forgotten that.

"Baby, don't cry," Brian whispers, kissing my hair. "Pops will talk to him; the guy will come around."

"It had to come from Eric, Brian." I sniffle. "And it was clear he didn't want to get to know me. Why would he?"

Brian shakes his head, but a knock on his door doesn't let him speak.

"Come in," says Brian.

His mom walks into the bedroom, holding a tray with food. "Son, give us a moment," she says to Brian. He kisses my cheek, gets up from the bed to exit the room, and closes the door behind him.

"I brought you something to eat," Aria says, smiling. "And I won't allow any objections. While you are here, you're another kid of mine, and my kids are never left hungry."

"Thank you," I say and let Aria sit by my side. She hands me a plate with some meat and salad on it and nods toward it, asking me to start eating.

I'm not hungry, but I do it. A tender smile plays on Brian's mom's lips while she's watching me eat.

"So pretty and kind," she says. "No wonder Brian is head over heels in love."

"Thank you," I whisper. "I don't think he's in love, though, but he cares, and it's enough."

Aria sighs. "That's my stubborn son for you, but he wouldn't fool me. It's way more than caring, Leah."

"Maybe, but I'm not naīve. I mean, what's to love?"

"Don't you dare, young lady," Brian's mom scolds me. "You are smart, beautiful, and have a heart of gold together with that character you shouldn't be hiding. You are worthy of all the love in the world, and I am talking not only about my son but about Eric as well."

"You've seen how that went. He doesn't want to get to know me."

Aria takes my hand in hers and shakes her head. "That's not it, Leah. I'm not going to justify Eric here because he didn't react in a good way, but I am positive he acted out of shock. Let's give him time, shall we? You have a right to be angry, and I am angry on your behalf as well, but I remember that boy we knew when we were young. I have a hard time believing he would reject his own kid."

"I hope you're right," I say. "I would like to at least know what happened, and it's clear my mom won't give me the answers I need."

"You deserve to have them, and Axel and I will do everything we can to make sure Eric gives them to you. Now, I will leave you with Brian. He must be desperate to see you. Patience isn't my son's strength."

I smile, and Aria kisses my cheek before picking up the tray and walking out of the room, leaving a delicate trace of perfume in the air.

Just like she said, Brian enters his bedroom right afterward. "Feeling better?" he asks, sitting next to me.

"Yeah. Your mom managed to calm me down a bit."

"She's good with people, Kitten, and she loves you. I'm glad you stopped crying. Will you spend the night here with me?"

"I can't, baby. Mom knows I came back from the city today. I have to at least say hello before she goes to work."

Brian sighs. "Okay, but can I come over and sleep with you?"

"I was hoping you would," I say, kissing Brian on the lips. He walks me to my house and promises to see me later.

Mom and I make small talk before she gets into her truck and drives to work. I make myself a cup of hot chocolate and call Annie.

"You did it. Oh my God," she says as soon as I filled her in on the events of the weekend in the city.

"Yeah, and it was incredible. So good, I might want to repeat it."

"Say the word, and Brian will be happy to assist you."

"I bet," I say, laughing. "He was so tender, Annie. I didn't even know he would be like that with me. Bella said—"

Annie groans. "Forget what she said. She never made love with him, but you did. There's a difference between banging someone's brains out and making love."

"I know," I say. "Now, I only have to solve my daddy issues, and then my life will stop resembling a poorly made soap opera."

We both laugh. Then, Annie sighs. "He will get in touch, Leah. You should listen to Brian's parents. They know him, and they wouldn't lie to you."

"I hope so," I say. After a quick goodbye, we hang up. I take a shower —hot because Brian fixed the heater — and get in bed.

Brian lies next to me when I'm about to fall asleep. He kisses me goodnight, long and slow, and caresses my hair and my back as he holds me, making me believe that things can take a turn for the better.

***

It's been two weeks since my no-meeting with Eric.

I thought about him every day, hoping that he would appear at my doorstep and agree to get to know me. He never did, and this morning, I am full of resolve to move on.

What propelled me to focus on my future is in my bag. It's a letter from the college in the city where Jim lives, saying they waitlisted me. Aria told me it was still good news. I have other options, but I am hoping to be accepted there even if I have to wait until they make a formal decision.

The financial aid and the grants I can get would be enough to cover my tuition and a great part of my other expenses. I will work, but not having to take out a loan is a huge relief. Gratitude fills me when I think about Brian's mom, who helped me apply for every grant imaginable and gave me pep talks when my confidence was faltering.

I sit through my classes, struggling to focus, and Gavin is to blame. He's been throwing looks full of hatred in my direction for the last week, blaming Brian and me for his father's loss of popularity. There's plenty of time before the mayoral elections take place, but the odds are in Bill's favor.

Brian is busy at the garage, and although Annie offered to drive me home, I chose to walk. The blue sky is cloudless, and the gentle wind feels good on my skin.

I am daydreaming about my college life and Brian as I approach my house. Mom is home, but her truck isn't what calls my attention.

A bike is parked nearby, and I know whose it is.

I make sure to be as silent as I can as I climb the steps of the porch. I don't need to use my key; the door is unlocked. The sounds of a heated conversation reverberate in our old house. Like a thief, I tiptoe along the hallway and pause at the kitchen door. It's not completely closed. My heart skips a beat when I see Eric and my mom.

"Eighteen fucking years, Grace," Eric grits through his teeth. "She turned eighteen. My daughter, my baby, turned eighteen, and I missed her every birthday."

Mom looks at her feet. "I—"

"You." Eric laughs, but it's humorless. "You believed the rumors of someone who wanted to hurt us both. You packed your stuff and left our house without talking to me. You believed I cheated when I never did. There wasn't anyone else for me. Ever. I was and am a one-woman man, Grace. I only loved my Gracie, who didn't tell me she was pregnant and ran away.

"She's been running away for eighteen years because of a stupid assumption, not staying in any town long enough for me to be able to find her.  And look at this," Eric pauses and points to the old kitchen furniture, the worn floors and the windows that do nothing to stop the cold air from entering the house, "is that where you live, Grace? Did you choose this instead of the life I wanted to give you?"

"I thought you weren't faithful," Mom utters meekly, and Eric shakes his head.

"You didn't give me a chance to explain. All my friends knew I had a girlfriend. Tattoos and leather jackets don't equal bad people, Grace. I gave up on that lifestyle for you. I studied and got a well-paid job, trying to prove to myself that I was someone worthy, someone who deserved more than being left behind without an explanation.

"I've only ever loved you, but now I am disgusted. You made the decision for our daughter. She never met her dad. And her dad would have given everything to hold her, and love her, and spoil her like a little princess. She's a woman now, Grace. A beautiful young woman who became who she is without me. I didn't see her grow up because you ran away."

Silence fills the kitchen in the same way rage fills my insides.

I am shaking. I want to break every goddamned thing in the shitty house I cannot even call home. I want to turn back time and be a baby girl adored by her dad.

Turning around, I pad to the front door and exit the house.

My feet carry me to the garage. I halt at the entrance, and Brian's eyes widen at the sight of me. He rests the wrench on the floor and rises to his feet.

"Kitten, what's wrong?"

"Please," I whisper, failing to stop my voice from shaking. "Please, let's get out of here. Let's get out of this town."

Brian doesn't ask questions. Brian doesn't need lengthy explanations. Brian does what I need.

He kisses me on the lips hard and says the words I need to hear.

"Let's go."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34.2K 1.7K 38
Started in 2018 Hardcopy available on NotionPress and Amazon *Rank* 1 * in #boynextdoor *Rank* 1 * in #badboylovestory When shy yet sarcastic Daniel...
93.1K 2.3K 29
|| highest rank - #1 in BeYourself #1 in Fiction (Nov '19) #1 in Ireland ( Feb '20) || Lea...
193 10 10
Tinsley had always been a free spirit, until one side of her face and body got badly disfigured in an accident that killed her best friend. She has a...
18K 430 17
Maya has had a rough past. From her parents dying, to being abused by her step dad, to jumping from foster home to foster home can be a lot for a tee...