Clashing Blades (Levi X OC)

Od Devilish_red

OC, named Ireen, is another childhood friend of Eren, just a year older (or so what they thought). Living in... Více

『 C H A P T E R 1 : NIGHTMARE 』
『 C H A P T E R 2 : PROMISE 』
『 C H A P T E R 3 : BEGINNING 』
『 C H A P T E R 4 : TEST 』
『 C H A P T E R 5 : TRUST』
『 C H A P T E R 6 : MIRACLE 』
『C H A P T E R 7 : MEMORIES 』
『C H A P T E R 8 : ANSWER 』
『 C H A P T E R 9 : SACRIFICE 』
『 C H A P T E R 10 : REQUEST 』
『 C H A P T E R 11 : TRIAL 』
『 C H A P T E R 12 : TRYING 』
『 C H A P T E R 13 : WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE 』
『 C H A P T E R 14 : BETTING ON YOU 』
『 C H A P T E R 15: POTATO 』
『 C H A P T E R 16 : BAD DAY 』
『 C H A P T E R 17 : IT WASN'T MY INTENTION 』
『 C H A P T E R 18 : ARMIN ARLET 』
『 C H A P T E R 20 : HORSES 』
『 C H A P T E R 21 : 2 WEEKS BEFORE AN EXPEDITION 』
『 C H A P T E R 22 : A PROMISE』

『 C H A P T E R 19 : THEIR SECRETS 』

371 16 1
Od Devilish_red

"If I keep yours, will you keep mine?"  】

- - -

Fuck! That could have hit me!

Ireen dashed out the exact moment her eyes saw the coming blade, aiming at her torso. She made a quick flip to the back before pivoting her heels and turned to other direction.

Her impulsive reaction and quick reflexes is what been keeping her safe from getting fatal injury so far, and the ability for her body to cope and sync well whenever her brain screaming danger... She wasn't going down soon.

But that doesn't mean she was free from the red zone.

The rain droplets continue splashing onto her cloak as the storm getting crazier. She got the hood from her cloak pulled forward to block the rain from getting into the eyes. And even in blurry situation she was quick in catching the witty movement of her opponents.

Two of them criss crossed between each other before jumping down, with one of them engaged her directly; blades to blades, while the other one circled around. Ireen pushed the blades away, deflecting the attack when she sensed an approaching enemy from behind, and did back flip before stepping on his back, forcing him to the ground.

The thunder roared loudly as the lighting flashed the opponent's face, making her quivered at the eye contact. Danger, was the only thing ringing in her brain right now.

What the fuck?!

She has lost count on the number of curses that her brain has raked.

She turned hastily. She has no time to reflect on the situation. She has to leave.

Right away.

Ireen heard more of the zipping sound approaching as she shot her grapple to a tree. She let the wire pulled her to the air as she swung in between trees to escape. The heavily pouring rain hitting every part of her body and despite wearing the cloak the water had sipped in and wetted her clothes inside.

She found struggle in breathing and seeing around.

What's going on? Isn't this just a test?! Why are they acting like they really....want to kill me??!

She did a quick turn at the corner but she missed out another person as he suddenly jumped down from above and pushed her to the ground. She fell flat on her face, with one of her blade accidentally detached from it's fitting and flung away.

Mike's boots landed on the ground a second after, exactly in front of her face. He stood tall towering her figure, watching the struggle.

Ireen glared up.

She didn't understand. What's going on?

Another flash of thunder strike as two more of Mike's comrades came down. Ireen fisted her palm, teeth gritted tightly as she eyed the three through her peripheral vision. She tried to stand. But a blade was next to her neck immediately, stopping her.

Her eyes widened visibly. And her heart clenched in ache.

"S-squad leader, why??"

"I told you we have the pass to go all out for the test. And I ordered you to be serious about this. You shouldn't be surprised."

"But I don't get it. This test, almost get me killed..." She stumped at her words as she tried to force herself to crouch on her knees. Her lips were stuttering, and her eyes were shaking. The hostility gaze by him was eating her alive.

His facade told it all. It wasn't a joke. He's truly going all out.

And his strength overpowered hers.

Ireen felt her eyes getting hot. The rain water slides down to her now uncloaked head, sipping into her mouth as she swallowed them.

"Then fight back. You are ordered to do so." Mike said as he pressed his blade even more to her neck.

Ireen suddenly swatted the blade away with her own as she pushed herself onto one foot. The blade in one hand was ready to strike and stab him when suddenly someone pulled her back by her cloak, eliciting a choking sound from her lips.

And everything suddenly seemed like slowing down.

She could see, a crystal clear, how a punch was slowly coming to her face as she was slowly falling backward. She could see each tiny droplets of rain dropping onto her face, along with the tingling sensation from each drop. And she could hear, the lone roaring of thunder from afar that flashed her view.

Random memories flooded in her eyes. And then something inside her snapped.

In a flash her eyes slithered and she grabbed the throwing hand. She twirled her body, grabbed the person's back neck before pushing them to the ground instead.

Lynne coughed from the impact. Her shock was replaced with a loud scream when Ireen pulled her hand out of nowhere, making a crack sound.

The sudden turn caused everyone wary. Gelgar was fast in his steps to unhand Lynne.

Seeing him approaching her Ireen grabbed a fist full of mud and threw it to the male. Gelgar turned to avoid it and Ireen took the opportunity to swing her knife to his face, that no one ever knew she had one kept in her boots. Eyes widened, Gelgar managed to interject with his blade but the force implied behind her hold was strong enough to send his blade flying.

A soft thud was heard as the blade buried into the soft muddy ground.

Gelgar lose focus and he couldn't keep with Ireen's coming attack, spluttering blood when Ireen's fist made contact with his jaw. He tumbled down and Henning came forward to grab her, but received a deadly strike of Ireen's palm right on his chest, knocking him backward.  

Ireen twirled, wet hair dancing along the rhythm, with hand pulling out another knife as she brought it down to strike Henning but thankfully, Mike stopped her. He caught both of her wrist, bringing them to the side to lock her movement but she won't stop struggling to break free.

"Ireen, time out! The test is over!" Mike screamed. He was alarmed by Ireen's stare, and he subsequently tightened his grip. It only caused the teen to trash more.

Nanaba, was quick to apprehend her from behind, wrapping her arms in between her armpits and pulled her backwards.

"Stop it, Ireen. The test is over." She spoke softly, yet sternly. "It's over, we are sorry for putting you in this state."

"Ireen..." Mike's eyes dropped when he saw her weakening.

The two watched her body went limping as it slumped down immediately, energy all drained as her eyes completely shut down. Nanaba shook her few times, yet she wasn't responding. If anything the only good sign was the fact that her chest still rising and falling.

The two veterans exchanged glances watching the recruit's exhaustion face. They stood in silence, conversing through eye contacts, that only the two know about. 

- - -

"No, I'm not leaving..."

"Why??"

"Let's run together...."

"I don't want to hide..."

"Please don't leave me alone... Please don't go.."

"Mom, no....."

"I'm sorry..."

"What...?"

"Mom!!"

"MOMMMM!!!!"

"MOMMMMMM!!!"

Ireen jerked up, small shriek was heard as her body tensed in every possible way. Her palms were clenching the sheets and sweats were running wild down her face. Her breathing was erratic and her wildfire raging face betrayed the silence peace of the morning.

It was that dream. Again. It had happened again. One of her never ending nightmares. She knew what could be the trigger of it.

It must have been the storm earlier.

Those flashes of lightning. Those loud boom of thunder. Those sploshing footsteps in mud. Those darkness and heart clenching situation....

It was familiar. It was the same. Just like the past.

Ireen sighed.

That feelings... That feelings of being chased to be killed under such weather...

"I'm still shaken from it...." She mumbled as she eyed her shaking hands.

The past where she lost her mother. Under the stormy weather, under the loud cries of thunders, under the blinding white flash of lightning... She was still as helpless as her child self even today.

Ireen raked her fingers on her scalp, dragging them down from her forehead all the way back to her nape. And then the fingers rested there as she silently sat back, blowing few fringes away from her forehead while breathing in and out. The smell of medicine and herb lingered in the air but she didn't mind that.

She knew she is in an infirmary room judging from the rows of single beds aligned neatly in the room and the pristine white curtains sectioned to each of the bed forming a small cubicle-like room. At least it was quiet. She appreciated that.

"Hey, good morning."

Or not...

Ireen turned to face the occupant on the next bed.

"I think it's afternoon." She said after glancing at the window.

"About to... But yet to pass 12."

"Lynne-san. Your arm..." Ireen's voice trailed when she saw her arm was bandaged and sling.

"Ohh don't worry about this. Doctor said it was just a twist. Should be good in 4 days. But no pressure to it for the time being."

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be. We pushed you too far. We deserved it."

"Was it really just a test? Were you guys really testing me? Or were you guys...." The green hues darted away from the older female's face, hesitated to finish the sentence.

Lynne caught on what Ireen was trying to say. She felt the pain in the teen's voice. Ireen was damaged, and they made her hurt bleed more.

Lynne turned and got down from her bed, and walked to the red-haired. She sat on the edge, and used her free hand to pull her to her chest. The palm rested on the back of her head as she voiced.

"No Ireen. We aren't going to kill you. I'm sorry. We went too far for the test. But I believed Mike knew what's he doing."

"You mean you don't know why the test is like this?"

"Not really. But I never doubt him. And Nanaba seems to catch on it so if she is not stopping him, I'm pretty sure he has no ill intention on you."

"I don't know, Lynne-san.. I haven't known him well yet to blindly trust him. But Erwin-san said that--"

The sudden opened door interrupted Ireen's words as both turned to look at it. Surprise made it to Lynne's face while Ireen remained calm, at the meeting with the person.

"Erwin's calling for you. Get to his office."

Ireen nodded, mumbling "yes, sir" as she got down from her bed to put on her boots. Levi watched by the door, arms folded as he patiently waited for the girl to get done and put on her jacket before tidying up the bed.

Slightly bowing her head to Lynne, Ireen then turned to the door, leaving along with Levi who took the lead.

.
.
.

It was a silent walk.

Occasionally bumping into their fellow comrades, Levi will receive continuous salute and greetings from them, which he acknowledged with a simple nod or a reprimand if they were slacking. As for Ireen, a simple greetings, a small smile or a nod of head towards each other is enough. But she do received deep glares from 3 girls during one of her encounters, which raised her a question mark at their attitude.

Maybe they are on their period... She thought so..

"How's your injury?"

It was that simple question like this from him that keep her entertained from the boring walk.

"Mentally or physically?"

But she wasn't really in the mood to converse.

A clicked from his tongue reminded that he was still her superior and she was obliged to answer his every questions.

"I'm fine. Wasn't injured. Only muscle strained..."

And it was the first time for Levi too to learn something new about the girl. When she is not interested, or mad, or hurt, her words came short and direct. Obviously the test has leave deep dark fragments in her heart. 

"You did good in surviving."

And that was the last thing said by the captain before the two remained silent throughout the walk. The only sound could be heard was their clicking boots against the pavement floor which surprisingly in sync.

And oddly enough, Ireen noticed that the closer they get to Erwin's office, the stronger the smell of vanilla and....soap, penetrating her nose.

She did a few sniffing motions at the questioning situation, brain scrambling to figure it out.  However, the time was cut short and they had finally arrived. Levi's hand immediately reached out to knock on the door twice.

"Erwin, it's me," was what he said.

And "come in," was Erwin's answer.

Levi opened the door by the handle, had his arm wide opened as he held the door for her, nudging his head to let her to get in first.

Giving in, she walked forward to the door. And when she was just by the door's frame, Levi suddenly called.

"Hold on a second."

She took a quick turn to behind, naturally, to answer to his call. But out of blue a pair of hands suddenly covered her eyes, giving her a short startle.

Ireen backed away to remove herself from the hands but Levi quickly had his palm flattened on her back, doing so to stop her and so she won't be stepping on his foot. This only worsen her worry because she suddenly got a flashback of getting attack from today's test.

A stuttering gasp came out from her lips, body immediately turned to defense mode and ready to trash around when suddenly an oddly fake voice of "guess who~" was heard.

Though confused, she tried to remain calm since she didn't sense any malicious intent from the voice, but out of curiosity, she still brought her palm over the hands, feeling around them.

A pause of silence. Then she looked up in the dark, muttering "Hange-san" as an answer. 

She was expecting her to drop her palms immediately, but it took a while before it happens. But, once she regained her vision back, she got into another surprise. The face that greeted her wasn't Hange, but it was Nanaba instead.

Nanaba was looking down at here, with her gaze narrowed upon meeting her shocking one.

"Why?" She asked the confused teen. "Why you said Hange?"

Ireen stayed silent. Her lips were pressed into a straight line and she could feel the slipping palm of the captain behind her from her back. If there is a way to escape this, no...there isn't a way. Even if she try to lie.

"Your voice... I thought I heard Hange-san's voice but I guess I was wrong."

"I did the voice terribly. I'm pretty sure you can tell it's me even so..."

Ireen gulped. Had she figured it out?

That is when Ireen retracted her gaze from her. It trailed down to her chest, and she spotted the name that shouldn't be there. Written clearly along with the tittle and position in a certain squad, the name of 'Hange Zoe' was seen, sewn right above the left chest pocket.

She found the explanation to her mistake earlier. She was duped.

"Why are you wearing Hange-san's uniform?"

"It is not nice to ignore someone's question."

"And it is not nice to wear someone's clothes."

"Unless they got the permission..." Out of nowhere, Hange appeared, opening the door even more to show her hidden figure behind it, along with Erwin across them sitting on his table while looking at her, with Mike by his side.

Great... Just how many of you guys are here?

"Well, won't you start talking?" The captain behind her growled slightly, being impatient.

"I am here...to see Erwin-san, right? I would like to answer to his call so if you guys please allow me to do so... It'll be great..."

There's no hiding now. They must have suspect a thing.

"Not until you answer her."

And just like that, Ireen's last string that held her emotion snapped, and she found herself screaming.

"IF YOU WANT MY ANSWERS THAN I JUST WANT ONE FROM MINE FIRST!"

Ireen's burst wasn't expected by anyone.

Nanaba was the first to snap from her shock, and she wanted to calm the teen down by putting her palm on her shoulder, but it got slapped away. Ireen had refused to batt an eye on her, as she let her gaze remained on the floor.

"You brat -"

"Levi, stop. Let me do this." Erwin suddenly spoke in his authority voice. He could see the captain's hand reaching to grip the teen's arm, so he interjected to prevent any unpleasant scene.

Levi dropped his floating hand back to his side, releasing a low "tch".

The door was let open even more, and Hange and Nanaba had moved away from the view to let Erwin faced the teen directly. They had thought the teen to get inside, but she remained on where she was standing.

"What is your question, Ireen?" Erwin offered a peaceful negotiation as he remained calm and spoke softly.

Ireen could feel the sense of peace coming within his voice. And she knew he was trying to be gentle with her. But it was hard to remain her composure, especially when anger was bubbling in her heart at the moment.

All of the stressing feelings suddenly got her emotional, and out of nowhere, out of her control, her eyes got watery. No idea what was bugging her, but that definitely what was happening. They probably noticed her slight whimpering form, and no matter how embarrassed she was, she couldn't stop it.

When Ireen lifted up her head so she could see Erwin, she could tell the four person that currently watching her were left speechless, judging from their shocking expressions.

"Can I still trust you? Can I...really trust the Survey Corp?" 

Standing behind the girl, something about her cracking voice shocked Levi. Her voice was so slow, quiet, and feel....hurtful... Like she was being in pain for so long... Being betrayed, mistrust...or misdjudged..

Levi didn't has to see her face to know she was holding back her tears, because if anything her gripping fists told him everything. He doesn't know exactly how to react in this situation.

"Erwin-san..."

Just like Levi who got lost in his thoughts, Erwin snapped back when he was called. He could see her eyes were begging for the answer. He couldn't not answer it.

But he couldn't bring himself to hurt her anymore.

....

"You can trust me always... Ireen.."

.....

"I would like to personally talk to you then." She requested.

Erwin thought about it for a while, before agreeing to it.

"Mike, Levi, Hange, Nanaba, please leave the room for a while."

"Just let them wait outside. I believe judging from your answer, I will have to meet Squad Leader after this." She said while wiping away the tear that threatened to fall from her eyelid.

"Very well then. Come in." And as per requested, everyone made their way outside of the room, while she got in.

Once the door fully closed, the four veterans stood closed to each other as each pondered over on their own thoughts. No one bothered to talk. Some were feeling guilty, some were finding answers to Ireen's behaviour, some was...thinking about something.

It was until at a point when silence was too much to be too akward that Hange decided to speak.

"Do you think he will be fine?" The brunette asked.

"Don't worry, he will. In her last written test I purposely asked if she will kill Erwin over an order but she answered no. She is loyal to him." Mike answered immediately while casting a glance down to the most shortest person among them. And Levi glared back knowing the meaning of the gaze.

But their silent glare was interrupted. "I wasn't talking about her killing him. Erwin is not good in handling emotional people. So how, he gonna deal with her?"

........

Dots finally connected among them, and they went silent at the truth of the words. Shame, the commander has to face this alone.

"Let's hope for the best." That is the only thing Nanaba could say.

- - - 

Ireen took a seat directly in front of Erwin. She still rubbing her reddened eyes, to completely wipe off the excess of her tears. The tissue in her palm was crumpled under her grip after she blew on it.

"Feeling better?" 

"Kinda...."

"Were the tears real or fake?"

Stumped, Ireen looked up. "How could you tell?"

"Never mind that. What is it you want to talk about? It must be very important, right? But first, I would like to apologize for putting you under the test. Maybe we went too overboard with it." Erwin humbly apologized. His thumb played with the other one as he got his fingers interlaced with each other.

"Were you the one came out with the test?"

"No. It was Mike. I only grant him the permission to carry it out."

"And why that kinda test?"

.......

"So you are not gonna say anything too, huh?" She faced down, looking solemnly at her hands.

"Erwin-san, I'm not gonna lie. I wasn't expecting the tears to come out, but that aside, the emotion that I show was the truth. It really hurts me. I feel like my chest is clenching hard, and about to burst any moment. My body trembled out of anger. My eyes feel hot and I feel like screaming. But that will be unprofessional and undisciplined. But any more of such pressure and I might lash out on them," Ireen mumbled out lowly. She took a deep breath, exhaling it harshly before bringing a palm to her forehead. "Especially your lovely ravenette captain. Not to be rude but sometimes him breathing is enough to tick me off."

Erwin wasn't expecting that. Guess her grudge on him was still deep. "I guess he's really hard on you."

"He scold me for not wiping clean his horse's stable. What does he means by that?!! They are already sparkling clean they don't need daily touch!"

Erwin sweat dropped seeing how easily the red-haired getting distracted into a new topic.

"Don't worry about that. I'll, tell him to be more lenient on you."

"Please do so.." Ireen even huffed through his nose.

...

"And? About you want to have a personal talk with me? What is it?" Erwin was back again. To be his casually calm yet stern person.

"What is it are you guys trying to test out of me?"

"I can't tell. You are in no position to know this."

Ireen's eye twitched from it. "Erwin-san, we already at this point of where we knew something is going on about one another. If you don't say anything about it you'll only raise my doubts on you and you won't get any answers for any questions that you want from me."

"Then we just gonna live with questions boggling our mind since none of us are backing down. And even if you get more doubter on me, it won't go more than a bar." He narrowed his eyes.

"And how did you even sure about that?" And Ireen gave the same expression as his.

It went silent for awhile.

"Because I trust you...." But once Erwin gave the answer she was left dumbfounded.

Erwin's declaration made her lips parted slightly.

"After hearing this, will you do anything that possibly hurting us?" Erwin asked her. His narrowed gaze never leaved her still shocking face, before a small smile tugged at the corner of his lips. "I don't think so..."

Ireen was speechless as Erwin continued.

"Maybe there is a reason why you can't say anything to our questions. But so do I. I can't tell you why we carry out the test. But one thing I can tell, we do this to protect what is left of humanity. And if you are here not to put a stop on it, then -"

"There's nothing I have to worry about, for our wishes are in the same direction... Right? That is what you mean, right?" 

Erwin didn't have to say it. Because it was obvious from the glint on his eyes that he was nodding to her query.

"I asked you once, why you become a soldier. And you said because you want to protect the future of the humans within the walls. I can tell that you are speaking the truth, so I believe you. But like I said, you aren't in the right role to know the truth behind our action. We have to follow the military structure. Even a minor slip could bring a disaster..."

"I see.... So in other words you couldn't trust me more than you have right now. I just have to deal with it. This is not something kids will play. You have your role that you need to play, I have a role to follow your order."

"That is not -"

"Fine by me. I will remain in Survey Corp as long as I live, serve under your order, and bring myself to the level where you can trust me like how you trust them." Ireen looked slightly behind her shoulder, referring to the four superiors that currently standing outside of the room. "And since we go this way, I will also hope you understand if there's something that I couldn't provide you with. I don't know what is it, but seems like you are bothered over something, regarding me, right?"

"So you know?" Erwin smiled.

"Only a hunch. I don't know what though."

"Well it was Mike who pointed this out."

"Then I could guess what it was... I'm surprised he hasn't address the things with me himself..."

"So it has something to do with him?"

"To the two of us. And if you want to know more, you may want to ask him himself, after I meet with him later. And whether he wants to tell you or not, that depends on him.. Because this thing might lead to another disaster if it was left to be known freely."

"I see.... so we are gambling with our future at the moment."

"That's right, commander Erwin, sir."

And for the first time, Erwin was left speechless at the tittle that she addressed him. Obvious enough, 'that' thing was serious after all.

- - -

"Hey Ireen.. Ireen... Wake up.."

"What??"

"Why are you sleeping? Aren't you suppose to do your 5 am test?"

Ireen shook her blurry view by blinking few times, rubbing her eyes multiple times to bring a better and clearer view of who dare enough to disrupt her beauty sleep. And she was greeted by the face of the one and the only potato-lover...

"I don't have them anymore. I passed the test..."

"Really? But aren't you supposed to clean captain Levi's horse stall and the communal bathroom in the morning too?" Sasha pondered as she watched Ireen rolled on bed, pulling the blanket even more to cover her figure.

"No need. The punishment was suspended for few days until my injuries heal."

"What injuries?"

My broken heart...

"Just some sprain and muscle ache. Now if you don't mind Sasha, leave me alone."

"Aren't you gonna get up still, Ireen? Don't you have to meet your team?" Mikasa walked near to Ireen's bed side as she sat. Her weight dipped the bed slightly as Ireen turned her face to look at her.

Ireen really missed her friends. They have been separated during the day and only interacted during meal time. She wanted more time with them if anything.

"They give me a day break. So I am free to do whatever today.." But she couldn't forsake the only time she was given a free ticket to wake up late. So she blatantly ignored the needs to meet the others right now.

Mikasa wanted to ask more, but looking at her pleading eyes she could tell she was telling her don't do that. And as to respect her wish, she nodded, and eventually stood up to leave.

"If you still feel the pain go to the infirmary room to get it treated."

"I know, Mikasa. Am not a baby..."

Mikasa gave her a final look before fully turning to the door. Her red scarf swayed following her body as she turned the knob. "Sasha, let's go."

"E-eh?? I'm not ready yet.. My straps are still loose- eh Mikasa.. Wait up!"

Ireen watched as the door to their dorm closed, and the two's voice slowly disappeared. She took a deep breath, then planting her face into her pillow before passing out again.

And when she was awake again, it was half an hour passed 1000 hours, probably a good time to rise and shine. Stretching up, she let her bones loosened along with few popping sound, and yawned widely.

She sat silently on her bed, pondering over on what to do today...

Maybe she should go and meet her official squad leader now. But after telling him the secret that only the two of them should know yesterday, she didn't think meeting him right away is a right decision. Probably she should leave him alone so he could arrange his thoughts on that properly,  because it seemed like he was having a hard time taking in yesterday.

Bothering Erwin wasn't a good idea too... He's probably too busy at the moment. Let's not bother him with paperworks.

Maybe Hange could give her something fun to do. But, according to Eren, that woman was deeply engrossed into titans that she might troubled her with her titan's theory and stuff. Ireen didn't feel like that's a fun thing to do.

Maybe she should meet Eren instead? But that isn't something possible because she has to get Levi's permission first, since he's his babysitter.

Ireen sighed at the thought of that stoic captain.

So to captain Levi??

......

Yup... To captain Levi...

- - -

Three knocks on his office door.

Yet no response...

She knocked again... And it was the same.

Ireen battled with herself if she should just waltz in. Because in her hand currently holds his paper that was passed by one of the commanding officers that she accidentally met on her way to here. She could still hear the nickname he called her.

"Oh.. You are the screaming girl. Lucky to meet you.."

"Screaming girl?"

"Yeah. Words have it you have been running from captain Levi one time, and has been screaming for help. It's been hot topic these days.."

"Seriously??!!"

"Anyways, can you help me pass these documents to captain? I believe you have a great relationship with him right? He's a nice guy I'm pretty sure he didn't bite you after that incident so you two must have make up somehow.."

"But I-"

"Thank you for your help! See you around, screaming girl!"

And just like that.. That guy managed to ruin her mood by a little. But never mind that. She was actually heading to the said captain anyways. So she won't mind dropping the papers for him.

The only problem was, he's not around, and if she simply walked in she might be accused for destroying his office...again..

Sighing, Ireen decided to leave, because she noticed someone were approaching, and it was not Levi because they didn't have his scent. But she halted when she suddenly got called by them.

"What are you doing here?"

Three ladies were staring down at her. One have a dirty ash hair cut in bob style, one is a blonde in two ponytails while the other one has long blonde hair with half of the hair tied in a bun shape.

"I was here to meet captain Levi." Ireen nonchalantly replied.

"Oh really? Are you sure you aren't stealing anything?" The bob-haired girl accused. Her name was Stella, judging from the name sewn on the jacket on her left chest.

Ireen raised an eyebrow watching her acting hostile. She sighed lightly while scratching her forehead. "And what could I be stealing from him?" As she spoke casually to the girl.

She simply grinned, picking up her fingers as she pinched the papers in Ireen's hand. "Like these documents..."

"Yeah right..  Totally believable for someone to have interest on these papers more than any of his other valuable stuff. What benefits I gain from this paper? Pulling a prank so he has to write everything down once again?"

"I don't know.. You tell me.." The blonde with two ponytails spoke next. On her chest her 'Claire' name was written. Ireen took a glance at it slightly before looking into her green eyes again.

"Okey, whatever. Captain isn't here anyways. I have to excuse myself now if you would allow me.."

"And where do you think you are going?!" Claire snatched Ireen's arm, tugging at it slightly before the red-haired snapped it back from her grip. She turned to face them, face looking displeasure as a low growl escaped her lips.

"Ahh! What's with that look? Are you disrespecting me?"

"And why shouldn't I?"

"Don't you know who I am? A mere recruit like you dare to look down on me?!! Don't be disrespectful.."

"Hey you haven't salute us yet have you? Where's our salute?! Or should we drill some lessons to your punny brain?" The other girl, went with the name of Mina joined in.

Ireen eyes plastered a little bit longer on her name on her chest, as she suddenly remembered her friend, Mina Carolina who passed away a month ago. But she immediately knocked off the thoughts as she snorted and rolled her eyes.

The papers in her hand were brought near to her hip as she slightly slanted to the left eyeing the three girls, that currently looking like they want to gnaw on her.

"I don't see you guys as anyone with tittle. I believe you guys are still a cadet. So if anything, a mere recruit like me doesn't have to salute to you three. And believe me when I said that how I treat you guys are based on how you treat me. Best to say, you guys are being cocky as well so I might repay you with the same attitude."

"Tch, you think you can -"

"What's going on here?" The door to Levi's office opened suddenly as the said captain suddenly stepped out, with his hair still damp from the shower and water dropping down his cut. He was in his a little bit greyish collared shirt, no jacket or that off-white cravat around his neck but was enough to show how crazily good looking he was, to the three girls, at least.

Immediately Ireen saluted, bringing the hand with the paper to the back of her body as she spoke quickly in one breath. "I am here to deliver these papers from Sir Artur. He had requested my help for it."

"Tch. And what's the noise all about in front of my office if you only here to deliver them?" Levi pulled out his hand, gesturing to the red-haired to give him the papers, and so she complied.

"I'm sorry, sir. But they suddenly have something to talk about so we stopped for a chat. Sorry for disturbing you.." Ireen nonchalantly spoke as the papers exchanged hands.

Levi gave a slight glare to them, asking for their reasons and the killing look he gave caused them to get so nervous, and spluttering some jumbled up words and excuses that at the end, Levi told them to stop.

"C-captain Levi.. Are you just awake? Have you take your tea yet?? I can help to get some for you if you want..." Claire spoke nervously, and there was a tinge of red adorning her cheeks, while the other two nodded furiously, happily to be in his service.

But what they thought to be a good offer turned him into a sour mood, because instantly, Levi's displeasing vibe increased as he scowled even more.

"Do I look like someone who neglect his duty and wakes up late?" He sounded so angry. Ireen think something spicy gonna happen soon. And she don't want to miss the chance of watching it.

"N-no sir.. But you look like you just showered, so I assumed -"

"Stop assuming things. I was washing my hair because a certain idiot dropped black ink on my head."

"Right.. I'm sorry sir." Claire looked down apologizing, cheeks heated up even more being hit second hand embarrassment.

"If you cadets has nothing else now, go back to your training. Don't waste your time. Every second is important to be utilized for your own growth."

"Yes sir!" The three girls immediately saluted their superiors, eyes still glued on his face and their crimson cheeks were yet to fade.

Seeing Levi turned back behind his door, Ireen immediately called him out.

"Sir, I have a request... Regarding Eren.. Can we have a talk?" Ireen knew the guy doesn't sound in a great mood, so she has to play a 'be nice' card. Because she definitely didn't want to be punished to clean the entire castle, for whatever reason he could think off.

Levi, instead of glaring daggers at her, gave his trademark annoyed glare - which was better since it means she has the chance to get what she wants - and nodded casually.

"Get in, Ireen. Tell me what you want."

Ireen didn't waste a single beat, as she followed him to the office. She closed the door behind her back quietly, not even sparing a glance to the three girls.

Meanwhile those three girls stood dumbfounded, brains were processing at what had happened before each eyes' were bugling out in anger.

He called her by her name while he only called us as a cadet?!! This is unfair!! Their tiny little hearts complaint.

.
.
.

Ireen watched as the captain walked across the room and disappeared into another room, separated by a door attached to the wall. Presumably, it's his bedroom, judging how it almost looked similar like Erwin's office-joined-bedroom. He was out of his bedroom pretty much immediately, but Ireen wasn't paying much attention as she was busy gawking at his office.

It was sparkly clean. Not even a speck of dust could be seen. Ireen knew this was just a temporary room for him, for as long as they lived in this castle until Eren managed to control his titan's power, so that explained why there wasn't much of things inside. But even so, from afar Ireen could tell his windows were perfectly cleaned, and even reflected her blurry silhouette and the sills were free from any dust.

The only mess there was his ink stained jacket and cravat, laid messily on the couch at the side of the room. He had probably threw it off just like that in hurry to wash off the ink from his face and head.

But to top it all, the smell of the room was refreshing. Smell of soap and forest wood. Just like the captain himself.

"Done checking around?"

Leaning against his five feet long office table, Levi eyed the teen sharply. A small towel was hung loosely around his shoulder, used to dry his damp hair.

"I'm sorry, didn't mean to look rude. Just astounded at your cleaning..." She wanted to say obsess but felt like it will only trigger the first world war, "ability... I could never do the same." So she changed the word. And ended with a little praise.

Levi wasn't taking it in, as he only hummed.

"So, what do you want to talk about Eren?"

"I was hoping if you could let me see him today.."

"And why should I?"

"Because I have a hunch you haven't able to make him turn into a titan yet? I was thinking to assist you in helping him doing so, if you are fine with it."

Levi's glare never leave her. It was like he's trying to read her thoroughly, to look for any ill intentions lying underneath. So far he found none.

"What's your plan?"

"I was thinking if we could put him into a little bit of stress? So he could know what he should actually aim for?"

Levi's cocked eyebrow signalled her to continue, as he's interested in listening.

"Like chasing after him with killing intent? When Mike-san's and the squad did so for my test, I was pressured to the end of the road, that I suddenly found the resolve to fight back fiercely and no longer holding back. So if you push Eren to the edge, it will force him to transform into a titan to fight, otherwise he might die by your hands.. Though I wouldn't wish him to be so much in fear from everyone's killing intent." Ireen mumbled the last part.

Ireen's gaze never faltered from his too. She knew that the rule to win someone's over, eye contact was very important. Because it will show how sincere, truthfully and honest you were.

"However there's one drawback tho. I can't be the one pushing him, because he probably won't feel much threat coming from his best friend. So this plan will backfire. And another thing is, he might lose his trust on you and the rest."

Levi didn't speak. But his eyes showed that he was thinking, deeply.

"And that's how you feel with us?"

"Huh??" Ireen blinked twice.

"You said he might lose trust on us. How about you? After the test with Mike, are you starting to doubt us, hate us, or what?"

"I...." Ireen gulped as she rearranged her thoughts. She had thought about this last night. And she had come to a conclusion. She won't doubt herself anymore.

"I trust you.."

Levi widened his eyes at her declaration.

"I mean, I mostly trust Erwin-san. And he trusts me. And also all of you. If he's doing this for the sake of humanity, then I won't ask anything about the test. I am just a recruit, so maybe there's something that I am yet to see. So I hope, captain, you and the rest could teach me well, and have me as your proud soldier."

Like watching the blaze in her eyes set on fire, Levi found the determination lying underneath. A small smirk about to tug at the corner of his lips, but he restrained himself from doing so.  

"You can change that status of mere recruit into something better." Levi stood from his leaning position, as he headed to his room. "Stay with us Ireen, and give all your best. If you can last longer than the average people in here, you will be one of us in no time. And you might know more than what the current commanding officers know."

"Captain.. Does that mean you trust me?"

Levi stopped on his track. He went silent for a bit, but his hand continue to reach towards the knob to his bedroom.

"Erwin trusted you... And I trust his judgement. I don't see why I should doubt you."

His hand laid flat on the knob, but yet to open it. 

"But personally if you asked me, I see me in your eyes. Maybe not much, but that is enough for me to trust myself."

And soon, the door was opened and he disappeared behind it, leaving Ireen speechless.

Seeing yourself in my eyes?? What do you mean by that?!!

[Clashing Blades.] © Devilish_red

Please leave your vote, comment and follow. Thank you so much! •

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

530K 20.9K 123
[COMPLETED] "(Y/N), after everything we've been through, I have become certain of one thing. I love you. Having to stay away from you for so long onl...
402K 15K 25
in which a girl named y/n lives in Marley and is a Eldian. the girl was known for how kind and beautiful she was along with her families bakery- thou...
19.3K 714 30
She's an optimistic aspiring actress, and he's an obstacle she crashed into. She finds him to be a waste of time, he finds her to be a pain in his a...
199 3 25
Hello, this will be one of my first books so I hope that you will enjoy it. Sorry if there are any grammatical errors or any of that sort. As Eren's...