Aikatsu Crescent!

By GrandPrintemps

Amamiya Mai is a normal teenage girl, who lives in a small town located in Japan. One day, she runs into an i... More

「Phase 01」The Light That Shone Like So Many Stars
「Phase 02」Aiming for a Dream!
「Phase 03」Shining! The Celestial Star!
「Phase 04」 Rina's Rival?!
「Phase 05」 Yay! Sweets Festival!
「Phase 06」The Power Of Three!
「Phase 07」 The New Brand? Mai's Message!
「Phase 08」 Go For It! The Prism Colour!
「Phase 09」 Magical Gemstones
「Phase 10」Unpredictable Experience!
「Phase 11」The First Trial
「Phase 12」Aya's Important Treasure
「Phase 13」I Want To Be Cool!
「Phase 14」Sparkling, Lemonade Dress!
「Phase 16」 Fresh ♪ Offtime
「Phase 17」Vivid ☆ Fantasy
「Phase 18」Crystal Manager
「Phase 19」 Midnight Wings
「Phase 20」Full Of Love
「Phase 21」Dream CD Debut!
「Phase 22」Around And Around!
「Phase 23」Miracle Duo ☆
「Phase 24」One Hundred Colours
「Phase 25」Eerie Happenings..!
「Phase 26」Famous ☆ Idol Part One
「Phase 27」Famous ☆ Idol Part Two
「Phase 28」Fluffy Pyjamas Battle!
「Phase 29」Tick Tock, Midnight!
「Phase 30」Kizuna's Bonds
「Phase 31」Story Of Snow
「Phase 32」Looking To The Future
「Phase 33」Monster Girls ☆
「Phase 34」Sparkling Unit Cup!
「Phase 35」Our Song
「Phase 36」Idol Shopping Trip!
「Phase 37」Minako's Dance
「Phase 38」Winter's Ball
「Phase 39」Reaching You
「Phase 40」Dreamlike Shooting Star
「Phase 41」The Devil's Fortune
「Phase 42」Fly High
「Phase 43」Two Lights
「Phase 44」Heart Mirage
「Phase 45」Promise Under The Full Moon

「Phase 15」 Heart Throbbing Fashion Show

113 10 0
By GrandPrintemps

Mai tried her best to not worry. When Tsubaki and Hinata were called to the office, they both ended up with Premium Rares by the end. Maybe it'd be the same for her? Even if Ai explicitly said she didn't feel comfortable working on one yet, when her skills were still rough. She was certain she hadn't done anything terrible though, so she doubted she was in trouble.

She hoped she wasn't, at least.

"Then all I'll ask is that you continue to do so."

That was what the headmistress told her when she went with Kotone to receive the latter's school coord and AiPhone. Something about it felt strange to Mai, as if she had a particular reason to ask... a voice at the back of Mai's head told her that she wasn't making enough progress. It would explain the question, at least... maybe the headmistress thought she wasn't trying hard enough?

It was tempting to run, but she'd eventually be found out. It wouldn't solve anything.

So, she reluctantly knocked, and entered once permitted.

"I'm sure you're wondering why you've called, " Makoto said, tensing the tension. "You've been asked for an exciting offer."

"Exciting offer?"

"You'd have been told this in lessons tomorrow, but every year, the New Stars fashion show is held. It's a tradition for first-years to take part in the fashion show segment, whilst the Celestial Star finishes the show with a performance."

So she was invited to be a model? Mai wasn't sure why she was being singled out like this, but it seemed fun! Another chance to see Rina perform-

"However," Makoto continued, disrupting Mai's thought process, "This year, Rina has requested that you perform alongside her."

...

...Perform alongside Rina?...

...alongside the Celestial Star? The top idol?...

...

...alongside Sachiko's favourite idol...?

"Usually, we wouldn't permit this," Makoto said, "But Rina's shown continued interest in you ever since your audition. She truly believes that this will discover your true potential. As our highest performing student, I have no choice but to trust her," she finished, "Will you accept?"

Mai tried to stop the thoughts racing in her head, and calm down. Even if it was a big step, maybe even too big, she couldn't possibly pass a chance like that up. Especially when the Celestial Star herself had asked her... no matter how much Aya would probably try to dispute it, it was a big deal!

"I accept."

─── 。゚☽: * .♡. * :☾ ° . ───

"Perform alongside Aino-senpai?!" Hinata shouted, once Mai explained the situation to her best friends.

"I'm surprised too," Mai admitted, "But I can't pass up a chance like this."

"Of course not!" Tsubaki was determined, her hands in fists. "It'll be a great insight into her work and thought process; you could learn a lot!" She relaxed slightly, giving a more serene smile. "I'm sure you'll do great, Mai."

Mai smiled back. "Thank you."

The next morning, whilst Tsubaki and Hinata were in their homeroom, Mai was in a meeting with Rina to figure out the details of the show.

"Good morning," Rina greeted the staff, "I'll be in your care today." She bowed, and Mai could have sworn she saw Rina's aura briefly appear. The top idol was radiant - it was no wonder she was so beloved by idol fans. After a moment, the Celestial Star turned to Mai, who stared back for what felt like forever.

Then she realised.

"A-A-Ah! I'm A-Amamiya Mai. Please take care of me," she also bowed, her face burning up. It hadn't even been a minute, and she had already messed up...!

Yet, the staff didn't seem bothered, instead briefly chuckling before moving along. Rina shot Mai a quick, supportive smile, before continuing the conversation with the staff.

"I'd like to propose we sing this song." Rina started playing a song on her AiPhone, and the staff listened carefully. Mai closed her eyes, listening to the melody carefully. It was beautiful; soothing and solemn yet inspirational. Something about it felt like it was speaking to her.

"We'll take that down," one of the staff said, and Rina gave a thankful smile.

"What do you think, Mai-chan?"

The pink-haired girl opened her eyes, placing her hand on her chest. She could hear her heart racing with excitement. "I think it's a beautiful song," she tightened her hand, "so I'd love to sing it with you. I-if that's okay."

"We'll move forwards with this, then," another staff member added. The rest of the meeting continued similarly, with Mai only speaking up when addressed. In comparison, Rina was so calm and professional, continuously making choices that would result in the best reaction from the audience. She wasn't even remotely scared at the prospect of giving her opinion to a large group of professionals, unlike Mai, who couldn't stop second-guessing her own every move.

Once the meeting was done, Mai stood outside of the room, exhaling.

"That was so nerve-wracking..." she muttered.

"You did well for your first time." Rina walked out of the room, striking up a conversation with her underclassman. "We'll meet up for practice this evening - I'll message you the details later. Until then, please work hard by yourself."

"Of course!" Mai bowed, "Good job today, Aino-senpai."

"Good job today to you too," Rina waved, and made her way. Even as she left the building, her aura still shone, every single movement flawless. Even in person, in her everyday life, Rina was, in Aya's words, perfect.

For comparison, Mai couldn't even handle the class' reaction when she walked in late. They were in a lesson room, practising the dance to 'DREAMING', but all focus was immediately dropped once she was noticed.

"Amamiya-san!"

"Is it true that you're performing with Aino-senpai?"

"You're so lucky!!"

"What is she like?"

"Is she as cold as everyone says?"

Mai froze, completely and utterly overwhelmed, as she gripped onto her wrist. She tried to answer each of her classmate's questions - they were good-natured after all! But they were all firing so many different questions and she didn't know half the answers and she wasn't used to so much attention and was it always so hot here and-

Someone stepped between Mai and the crowd. "If you worked instead of bothering Mai-chan, maybe you'd be skilled enough to find out yourself."

Her saviour turned around, and winked at Mai as the crowd dispersed back to their lesson.

"Hina-chan...!"

"You looked like you were about to faint or something," Hinata gave a concerned look, "Don't overdo it."

"You almost sound like Tsubaki," Mai said as Hinata's face morphed into mock horror, "but I'm good. I promise." Her small smile faded as she replayed what exactly Hinata had said, "You're not upset about this, right?"

"Huh?" Then, Hinata looked down, only perking up after a while. "How could I be? They were too scared that the great Hina-sama would upstage Aino-senpai, so they went with the second-best option." She laughed, but it didn't entirely convince Mai. Even with a big chance like this, others were being left behind... it hurt to think about it in that way.

─── 。゚☽: * .♡. * :☾ ° . ───

Throughout the day, Mai was determined to get as much practise in as possible. She had already made a fool of herself multiple times since being asked, and was determined to make sure she wouldn't on stage. Especially not if that somehow damaged Rina's reputation...

...and especially not if there was any chance of Sachiko watching.

Therefore, after lessons, Mai immediately got down to business reading through the lyrics. Figure out what she wanted to convey... what did she want to convey?

"After all we've gone through, it's time to see just how much our reflections have changed," Mai read, muttering under her breath. Change... in such a short amount of time, her life had changed so much. She made new friends, lost old ones, and even became an idol - an idea she thought was long behind her. She'd had so many amazing experiences due to these changes though, and wouldn't go back for the world. Even if she missed Sachiko, their relationship had, well, changed for the worse. Mai decided she wanted to convey that change isn't always a bad thing.

Maybe things could even change again and Sachiko would start being more like the old Sachiko she loved so much. Even if that was wishful thinking, maybe dreaming a bit more wasn't so bad.

Once fairly confident with the lyrics, Mai moved onto the dance. Luckily, the lesson room Rina was to meet her at in a few hours was already empty. Once setting down her items, and warming up, Mai looked at her reflection in the mirror, taking a deep breath. Then, she began to dance. She took mental notes of what needed improving, such as rhythm or tempo, then started again, keeping those factors in mind. Again, and again, and again...

"Mai-chan!"

The next thing she knew, she was on the floor, panting and in Rina's arms. She looked worried but also... strangely angry.

Rina had already arrived? How much time had passed...?

Mai hadn't even noticed she fell, to begin with.

"How long have you been practising?" Rina asked, her tone harsh, and she was visibly concerned. Mai flinched. Not even a month after promising she wouldn't make others worry, she'd managed to worry the Celestial Star of all people.

"I'm sorry. I... I just thought that if there's any chance that Sachiko-chan might watch..." her voice trailed off.

"You shouldn't Aikatsu for a single fan," Rina stated. Once making sure Mai was able to support herself, Rina stood up. "When there's so many supporting you, wanting to see you shine. Both fans, potential fans and the staff working hard to help deliver the best performance from behind the scenes. Focusing all your energy on only one person is selfish, and alienates everyone else."

Mai stayed silent. She was scared that if she said anything, she'd just make everything worse. Even if she agreed. Maybe it was selfish. She just... wanted to make everything with Sachiko right again.

Rina's eyes softened with a sense of familiarity. "But, I understand your feelings. Wanting to reconnect with someone," she knelt to make eye contact with Mai, "When my old unit disbanded, for a while, I thought if I was good enough at Aikatsu then a long-gone friend would want to disconnect."

"Really?"

"In the end, I was wrong. The only way to fix things was if we both communicated with each other, and both made an effort. If one party being skilled is enough to fix a friendship, it's not a real friendship in the first place." She gave a sad smile, "I'm sorry, I was too harsh on you. You're still a child, after all. I was worried but that wasn't an excuse to lash out. I hope you'll forgive me for not being the cool upperclassman you wanted."

"No, it's fine! You're still really cool," Mai insisted, "but, aren't you still one too?"

"Aren't I what?"

"A child."

Aino Rina was only fourteen, despite her mature and professional aura. Technically a teenager, rather than a child, but still far from the adult she attempted to be. Her expression darkened, and she lowered her voice.

"Once you're a top idol, you're no longer allowed to act like a child."

Judging by the volume of her voice, Mai probably wasn't supposed to hear that comment.

So, she refrained from asking for elaboration. It didn't seem like Rina was particularly keen to continue the conversation, anyway. The top idol handed Mai her water bottle, then stood, smiling.

"I'm going to take my turn practising, whilst you finally take a break."

Mai nodded, then took a drink as she watched Rina. The latter managed to get in the zone nearly immediately, her dancing flawless as far as Mai was concerned. Yet, Rina wasn't satisfied, going over it again. Then one more time, still as visibly determined as before. Then she went for her own quick break, sitting beside Mai. She wiped herself down, and took a drink whilst Mai watched in awe.

Even if a little scary, Rina was nice, after all.

Deep down though, there was a big question bothering the younger of the two. She wasn't sure when would be the appropriate time to ask but... she supposed now would be better than never.

"Aino-senpai?"

Rina looked up, and having caught her attention, Mai decided to continue. "Why me? Headmistress Kagamine said you specifically asked for me, but I'm far from the best first-year... I think others deserve this more."

"You have a lot of potential," Rina explained, "I noticed that in your audition. If a chance like this could help you realise your own potential, then it'd give a huge boost to your Aikatsu. Not that the others don't have potential, nor that I don't want to work with them in the future. It just so happened that out of everyone, you caught my eye." She pushed a strand of hair out of her face. "In truth, I see myself in you." She put her bottle down, stood up, and extended her hand. "Do you feel well enough to practise together?"

Mai nodded, grabbing onto Rina's hand. "I'd love to!" She felt fully energised, and wanted to try. Once the music began playing, the two danced together. It was incredibly hard to even remotely match Rina, but Mai tried her best. Aino Rina was light years ahead of Amamiya Mai, but both shared the same passion and desire to make this the best stage they possibly could.

─── 。゚☽: * .♡. * :☾ ° . ───

Throughout the weeks, both Mai and Rina worked tirelessly. They met up whenever the latter had time, to get in as much practise as they possibly could. Not only that, but the Mai still had all of her lessons, Rina's schedule was completely filled with work, and there were still multiple meetings ahead.

Yet, it felt like the big day came in no time at all.

Mai was backstage, listening through the song a final time. After taking some time to consider, she decided she still wanted to convey the idea of change not always being bad. Even if it wasn't entirely dedicated to Sachiko anymore, she hoped somebody would pick up on it and find it reassuring.

"Even from the moon, I'll always be watching you."

Another lyric, which reminded Mai of Rina. Despite being a rookie, Rina had watched over Mai, to some extent. She didn't have to, but decided to anyway. Honestly, Mai appreciated it.

"Mai!"

Mai looked up, and saw her two best friends in the doorway, along with Kotone. Tsubaki was in Prism Tiara's Miracle Jewel Coord, Hinata in Exciting Topaz's Wonderful Soda Coord, and Kotone in Passionate Starbeat's Perfect Stage Coord. Mai's face lit up.

"Everyone!"

"The fashion show is about to start, so we thought we'd wish you luck, in case we didn't catch you after," Tsubaki explained, "You can do it!"

"Of course she can," Hinata interrupted, "She's friends with Hina-sama, after all."

"Yeah, I'm sure that's the reason she can," Tsubaki said slyly, and the three giggled. Once they quietened down, Kotone spoke up.

"I believe you can do it."

"Thank you." Even if Kotone's voice was, well, emotionless, Mai couldn't tell the intent behind the words was genuine. It meant a lot to her.

"Well, we'll be off. Wish us luck!" Tsubaki said, and the three exited.

"Break a leg out there!" Mai called after, waving. Once the fashion show began, she watched from backstage. Tsubaki seemed slightly nervous, but once she found her footing her clothes shone brightly. Kotone was graceful, and made every step with precision. Hinata was, well, Hinata! Bright and maybe a little extra, but made sure everyone was having fun. Sure enough, along with the rest of the first years, they managed to fire up the audience.

She couldn't let all of that effort go to waste.

"Aino-san, Amamiya-san, please go on standby!"

The two idols stood side by side, their cards in their hands. For Mai, Pastel Macaron's Pastel Dreaming Coord. For Rina, the coord she designed to match Mai's, the Elegant Dreaming Coord.

"Despite our difference in popularity, on stage we're equals," there was a determined glint in Rina's eyes, "But that doesn't mean I'll be holding back."

"Me neither."

The two ran to the changing rooms.

"Amamiya Mai, singing with love!"

"Aino Rina, a gentle star in the sky!"

The Crescent Path Stage was a runway, decorated with soft lights along the side. In the back was a crescent moon. The duo walked on stage from either stage, and immediately the audience applauded louder than Mai had experienced whilst performing herself, and the performance hadn't even started yet.

It was, in a way, terrifying. She couldn't back down now, though. So many people were looking forward to this. Tsubaki, Hinata, Kotone. The teachers; the staff; Ai. Rina, Rina's fans. Her own fans.

They all deserved the best show Mai could possibly put on.

Once the applause finally died down, the music to 'Reflection Of The Moon' began to play.

Everyone gather, for the beginning

The beginning of smiles, the ending tears

After all we've gone through, it's time to see

How much, our reflection has changed

Both of their auras appeared, to Mai's relief. Granted, Rina's was significantly larger, but Mai was expecting that. Rina was so into the performance - it was almost as if she had become one with the song. Even from beside her, Mai couldn't help but admire the top idol.

We were once at our own starting line

Full of ambition, knowing it'll be fine!

Nothing could stop our dreams anymore

We were young, ready to take on the world!

Oh, we've grown up

So much since these days have passed

New experiences, and meetings

Have shaped our minds to be so vast!

Oh it's starting now you know

A brand new tomorrow

And, even from the moon

I'll always be watching you

The two performed Cute Live together.

Everyone gather, for the beginning

The beginning of smiles, the end of tears

After all we've gone through, it's time to see

Just how much our reflections have changed.

From the day we first stood on stage

Almost immediately, the brief silence was replaced with exploding applause. It was unlike anything Mai had ever felt before. Her heart wouldn't stop racing, but... it was incredible. A feeling straight out of a dream.

After waving and giving their thanks to the audience, the two went backstage. Rina looked tired, Mai had guessed she practised a lot but-

Before her concerns could take over, Mai was tackled to the ground in a hug.

"You did it! You really, really, did it!"

Mai stayed silent in confusion, before noticing purple hair. She looked up to her attacker's face, and indeed, it was exactly who she expected.

"A-are you crying?" Mai asked, and Tsubaki wiped away her tears.

"N-No!" She insisted, despite the tears beginning to leak out again.

"Between this and the drama," Hinata said, entering backstage, "I think it's safe to say Tsubaki cries when touched."

"I- I was not touched by that drama!" Tsubaki argued.

Hinata shrugged, before lying on the floor beside the other two. They were starting to get looks from others due to their refusal to get up, but were ultimately left alone.

"You were both amazing today!" Mai exclaimed.

"Says you," Tsubaki grinned, "You were easily the brightest star today!"

"Eh? I think Rina deserves that title."

"You managed to keep up to her," Hinata refuted, "that's insanely impressive."

"Only because she helped me!"

"That wouldn't mean a thing if you didn't put the effort in."

"You two...!"

Then, the three burst into laughter. No real reason, aside from joy. They laughed and laughed, until they couldn't laugh anymore.

It was the best Mai had felt in a long, long time.

Words couldn't describe just how much Tsubaki and Hinata meant to her.

─── 。゚☽: * .♡. * :☾ ° . ───

That night, Mai went for another walk to the courtyard. She couldn't sleep, still excited after the performance. Now that some time had passed, it had come clear to her just how huge the gap between the two was... there was a lot to think about.

Rina felt the same way apparently.

"Aino-senpai!" Mai called, noticing her upperclassman. She ran over, "Are you okay?"

"Mai-chan," Rina turned around, with a soft smile. "I'm okay. Thank you for worrying about me, though."

Mai sighed with relief. Then, she looked up to the sky, and frowned.

"There's no moon?"

"Tonight, the moon is in the new moon phase," she chuckled, "kind of like you."

"Like me?" She asked, and Rina nodded.

"I think idols can be compared to the moon at times. For many reasons, but this in instance, the moon may disappear, but over time it gradually becomes brighter and brighter."

"But then it disappears again."

"And another moon is born. Such is the way of admiration," she gave a tired smile, "But there are exceptions to every rule. Even if a new moon has been born, I don't plan on giving up soon." She ruffled Mai's hair, "Goodnight, Mai-chan." She walked away, her aura bright once again. She seemed exhausted, yet still shone enough to leave an impact on Mai.

Aino Rina really was something else.

─── 。゚☽: * .♡. * :☾ ° . ───

A/N: Since I'm nearly at the halfway point in writing (uploads are really behind lol), I might start updating biweekly? I can't promise tho since I start school again soon.

Anyway, thank you to everyone who's reading, voting and commenting and supporting in general! It means so much to me.

─── 。゚☽: * .♡. * :☾ ° . ───

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2K 44 8
- INFORMATION - --------------------- This story was inspired by Akaashi's Moon A YouTuber that does text stories The title of the stories she made w...
811 34 13
"Star light, star bright, first star I see tonight, I wish I may, I wish I might have this wish I wish tonight." In our lives, we all face great chal...
4.8K 159 9
Aikatsu Stars! Fic! Yume, Ako, Laura, and Mahiru all enter Four Star Academy's Team Up! event! Can they win it? What will they win? And where do the...
1.9K 67 15
This is what I was hoping that it would happen when four girls decided to participate in the upcoming event, while Love Me Tear (Karen and Mirai) are...