Callous

Por lliizz15

Life for me was smooth, a bit bumpy, and ambitious. Until Aarib Fahad got his eyes on me. And when a callous... Mais

Authors Note
Bruised Knuckles/1
Dangerous/2
Hey Aarib/3
Couple's stuff/4
Sibling bonding time/5
You deserve more/6
Mob Business/7
Chapter 7/Untold feelings
Chapter 8/ Unexpected Visits
Chapter 9/Too Bad
Chapter 10/A marriage awaits
Chapter 11/seen a ghost
Chapter 12/owing you a favour
Chapter 13/heart of ice
Chapter 14/Consequences
Chapter 15/Jealous
Chapter 16/Friday night
Chapter 17/Whisk you away
Chapter 18/Shattered
Part 2
Chapter 19/Just a memory he was
Chapter 20/Reunion
Chapter 21/Guilty
Chapter 22/Agitated
Chapter 23/Enduring pain
Chapter 24/Vulnerable
Chapter 26/Impulse
Chapter 27/Change of plans
Chapter 28/Childhood sweetheart?
Chapter 29/Selfish, heartless

Chapter 25/Staring could be troublesome

63 8 2
Por lliizz15

Aarib

It was taking every fiber of my being to press my lips together and not—not even by mistake—let the grin slip onto my lips. Because, oh boy, my wife wouldn't like that.

She kept fidgeting in the passenger seat of my SUV immediately after I put the car in drive, chewing onto her bottom lip since the last five minutes, and rocking her right leg up and down since a few seconds.

"Enough," I muttered. "Haya, for the hundredth time, stop getting your knickers in a twist." I took a turn to my west, pressing a little harder on the gas pedal. "It's just a get together."

"Of all the mafia bosses!" she screamed.

Woah.

I glanced at her for a second, catching her eye for a brief moment before I averted my gaze back to the road ahead. Her eyes were wild, fierce. Frightening.

"Haya, you don't have to be scared," I tried to calm her down before she started clawing at me like a wild animal.

It would be a wonderful sight, though. What can I say, I'm a man after all.

"Yeah. Right. Because I have no reason to worry, right?"

I understood the double meaning behind those words. She thought I didn't understand her behavior, the frantic nerves, the rattled nervousness that made her skin break out in goosebumps. She really didn't know that I knew her like I knew the back of my hand. Understood her like she was an open book having all the answers to her actions. I just payed a lot of attention to her in these past months, and these past two days. Now, almost three, as night was finally here.

"You have every reason." First being the bruises to your face. I didn't say that out loud. She wouldn't have liked another reminder of the bruises. "But we can't live our lives getting scared of these filthy men—"

"I'M NOT SCARED!"

"Fine, fine, not scared," I added quickly before she decided to jump out of the car. At that thought, I locked the doors. Just in case. "Just. . ." I searched for a better word. "Nervous. Yes, nervous. You're nervous, baby, and there's no need to be that. There will be more than just mafia bosses. Their wives, children, families. They will be there, too. Everything will be fine."

Or at least I hoped that.

"And you'll meet my friends, too," I carried on, smiling at the thought of introducing such an awesome girl to the crowd as my wife.

Father would be pissed.

And that would just make this night a whole lot of more fun.

"Your friends? You have those?" her snarky remark echoed through the silence that hung in the car.

"Why wouldn't I?" I asked back, sparing her a quick glance. She was staring down at her lap, picking at invisible flecks of dust perhaps. "You think I'm not capable of having friends?"

From my peripheral, I saw her head whip to me and felt the intensity of her gaze lingering on my face.

"I mean—I—that's not what I meant," she whispered, guilt lacing her voice. I didn't mind if she said that. But she surely did. "I'm sorry. I'm just a little on the edge at the moment." Then suddenly, as if remembering something, she questioned in a squeaky voice, "Would Areesha be there, too?"

She wanted her to be there, I could tell.

I shrugged my shoulders. "Not sure. I doubt it. She's always been hidden away, I doubt she'd want to come to any of these parties now. Especially when there was a high risk of my father being there."

"Oh, okay."

I felt an invisible hand grip my heart and shake it vigorously. There was sadness—more like disappointment dripping from that 'oh, okay'. I clenched my jaw, my teeth glued together as we reached the lane to the house where the get together was. Rich, expensive cars, mostly SUV's lined the street that lead to the house on each side, making it difficult for me to find a spot.

Guess I'll just leave it to the valet then.

I skidded the car to a halt just in front of the house that looked something out of a movie—twinkling light, bulbs, green lights, almost every type of glowing accessory decorated the front yard. The entrance that led to the front door was lined with lanterns that gave off a soft yellow glow on one side, whilst flowers and petals dotted the other side.

I snorted a laugh.

Petals?

You've got to be kidding me.

The valet, dressed in a black suit, almost the same height as me came up to my side and opened the door for me, nodding a greeting as I jumped out and straightened my clothing, eyeing the front door of the mansion with a mischief in my mood.

This was going to be fun.

"Good evening, ma'am," the valet smiled with his eyes cast down as Haya approached me, her heels crunching under the gravel.

"Good evening," she mumbled back, shifting her weight from one foot to the other.

"Here," I tossed the car keys at the valet. He caught them quite professionally, as if he did this on a regular. Catching keys, I meant.

As the valet disappeared with a curt nod, I turned sideways and observed Haya. There was a cute wrinkle marring her forehead. I noticed she was eyeing the rose petals with curiosity. She sucked at trying to mask her emotions, what she was thinking, feeling, and while I was very, very grateful that she was like an open book to me, I didn't like that others could read her face just as easily.

I slipped my hands inside my pant pockets, a smile playing on the corners of my mouth.

"Strange, don't you think?" I mused, more at her reaction than the weird decoration.

Staring at the petals for another long heartbeat, she slowing slid her gaze to me.

"Aren't petals sprinkled on, like, honeymoon suite beds, and when there's like a wedding?" she asked me, her arms crossed across her chest.

"Yeah," I agreed with her. "Maybe it's a wedding, then. Or someone's honeymoon." Sarcasm was dripping from my voice.

Her jaw dropped to the ground. "Aarib, please tell me you're joking!" she whisper-hissed. "We can't be crashing a wedding! That's not right." She shook her head as she nervously chewed on her bottom lip while her eyes took in her surroundings and the expensive exterior of the mansion.

It was kind of very amusing she didn't mention the honeymoon part.

"Babe," I called out, wanting to tease her a little more. "Just humor me, okay?"

She jutted her bottom lip out, pouting like a baby. "Humor? What's that?" she feigned innocence.

This girl was just something else, I wondered, laughing quietly to myself.

"Shall we?" I made a dramatic display of waving my hand in front of me, my heart doing a victory dance when a grin broke out on her face, and she gave a little shake of her head, clearly at my very immature behavior.

"I know, I know," I fake sighed heavily as the two of us strolled through the entrance towards the big, mahogany doors that seemed far from welcoming. "I'm a heartthrob."

"You're a what?" she choked out, bursting out with laughter. "A heartthrob?"

"Yeah," I replied confidently. "You wanna argue on that, sweetheart?"

"Not at all."

We stopped short at the entrance, and much to my shock, the doors opened from the inside, but there was nobody to be seen. Huh? Strange. The doors must be automatic, and there had to be a camera somewhere that informed whoever was controlling the automatic system that we stood here. They must also have recognized me, because there was no way they would have given us access to step inside if we were strangers. As per my observations, above our heads I saw a camera.

"Did the doors just open on their own?" Haya pondered, poking her head out to see of someone stood to greet us.

I stepped inside the foyer, my wife just beside me, and answered her question. "Yes, unless it was a ghost, the doors are automatic."

She swatted my arm playfully, and it just made me grin like I'd won a lottery ticket.

The party must be going on in full swing in the back yard, waiters hurrying in and out of the kitchen with trays balanced on their hands and sweat dotting their foreheads, all of them matching outfits and the exhausted expression on their faces. Thundering footsteps sounded from the floor above us, and in the next three seconds I saw my best friend, Sheru, charging down through the stairs as he stopped short in front of us, panting like he did a full workout in the gym like he usually does on a daily.

His mouth formed an 'O' as his eyes took in Haya, literally, literally checking her out—right in front of me.

Uh, excuse me?

He has the nerve to ogle my wife while her husband is standing right next to her, his eyes widening in surprise. And not to mention, I am also his best friend.

He's got quite the audacity, I see.

And clearly no shame.

He might be my best friend, but I was not okay with this.

Who would be?

I cleared my throat. "I think that's enough of staring for today," I narrowed my eyes as he cut his gaze to mine. He looked as if he had forgotten I was here, because a sheepish look crossed his face, and smirked at me, clearly trying to not let embarrassment get the best out of him.

"My apologies," he chuckled. "This must be Haya, I'm assuming?"

"You're assuming?" Haya echoed. "What does that mean? Would he have brought someone else with him?"

Super.

Thanks, you fool!

I silently glared at Sheru, hoping he could see how pissed off I had gotten with him. Let's summarize this: he not only checks my wife out, but plants a seed of doubt about my loyalty with her into her head?

I bared my glued together teeth at him.

He seemed to understand the seriousness of the situation because he quickly added, "Of course, not. Aarib's a loyal pet, you don't worry about that."

Real smooth.

"And," he continued, "If he so much as talks to another girl, I'll make sure I test my boxing skills on him."

Slightly better.

Haya's stance eased, and a weight that I felt on my chest lifted. I could finally breathe properly again, knowing Haya understood it was just a joke. Or so I hoped she understood, because her eyes gave away no hint of what she was feeling on the inside.

"Were you there with Aarib when a few months back he came to my house to check on me?" she asked with curiosity.

He nodded, running fingers through his jet-black hair. "Yep. I have to say, you always rattled his nerves, which is very funny, by the way. And when he saw that pizza delivery guy there, I was afraid I would've had to deliver the rest of the pizzas myself and deliver the guy himself to the hospital," he said and burst out laughing, bending over and slapping a hand to his thigh.

He was very amused.

I wasn't.

In fact, I wanted nothing more than to punch him in the face for his concerning behavior. He must be creeping Haya out, and she hadn't even met the other two clowns yet.

From behind a set of glass doors to my very left, I saw Piero, one of the most ruthless mafias in the world walking straight ahead somewhere, but his eyes fell on me and he stopped, taking a couple of seconds to probably remember why I looked so familiar to him.

A tilt to his head.

Any time now.

His brows knitting in the middle.

Puzzles clicking together.

And then his eyes widened in. . .surprise?

He recognized me.

A drum roll for the man, please.

"Who's that man? He keeps staring at you," Haya whispered to me in a hushed whisper.

Piero's eyes fell on Haya, travelling the full length of her body.

My jaw ticked as I stared at him. "Piero Antonio or some prick about who I couldn't care less. Feroze told me about him once."

She shuddered beside me, and my eyes instantly moved to her. Her arms came up as she adjusted the jacket. I could practically feel the disgust she felt because it was too potent. Too noticeable to be not noticed. Her demeanor alone said that she hated that man's gaze on her.

"I don't like him," my wife expressed her discontent.

"I know."

I instantly grabbed her hand and pulled her behind me; simultaneously Piero strolled towards us with a total ease, almost as if he purposely chose to walk lazily, and he had that creepy smile on his face which widened to a grin when Sheru also stepped forward, my best friend also trying to shield Haya from that man's filthy, sickening gaze because we both knew how repulsive they could be.

I already regretted bringing her along.

Piero opened the doors without any hesitation, walking as if he owned the mansion. The way he stood, all tall and confident, it was all for a show, to let people see how strong he was, whereas everybody knew he was pathetically weak. The strong cologne that I got a whiff of made my stomach churn and I took a tiny step back because it literally made me want to gag on his stupid expensive three-piece dark blue suit.

As you could tell, I wasn't a big fan.

Perhaps, I wouldn't have developed such hatred towards him in the first place if he wouldn't have goggled at my wife with unhidden shame. I guess people don't know that you look once, and then avert your eyes, not straight out check out women, and make them feel uneasy.

Maybe then I would've offered a greeting.

Maybe.

"Ah, Aarib Fahad," he chirped with fake enthusiasm, or maybe it was genuine.

Do you think I care?

He stretched out his arm, offering me hand that I didn't shake. Instead of being offended, he retreated it and chuckled, almost to himself and said, "I had heard rumors about the younger son of Mr.Fahad, and I have to say, you don't do justice to them." His mossy green eyes were filled with laughter. "You're more obnoxious than how the rumors describe you. Tell me, is it her, the pretty lady that is stopping you from punching me at the moment, because I see it. I see how you are urging to beat me."

I was glad my hands were inside my pockets and he couldn't see that my fists were tight, really in the dire need to connect with his jaw. He was riling me up, wanting that I react and create a scene in front of the whole crowd. I didn't really understand why he was wasting his energy on us.

"And your kind words, Piero, didn't fail to amuse me."

He ignored my remark. "She doesn't really seem your type."

"Aarib doesn't have a 'type'," Sheru snapped, shooting daggers at the man who seemed unbothered by our temper. "And he's got quite an amazing wife."

"Wife?" he echoed, quirking a brow my way. "Very interesting. I assume you didn't invite your father on your wedding? He's in a search for a bride for you."

Of course.

Of course, my father would still try to impose his decisions on me.

"And I must say, she's exceptionally gorgeous," he added.

That was enough.

It took me less than two seconds to lunge on that man and grab him by his coat. My body shook with anger as my veins rattled with the heavy dose of adrenaline, every muscle in my body tightening.

"You ever talk about my wife again," I seethed, baring my teeth at his not-so-surprised, amused face, "And I will make sure your children know that you are cheating on your wife. Your wife who is their mother."

Any sign of amusement fell from his face, replaced by a grim expression.

"That's right," I muttered, jerking off Sheru's hand that tried to pull me back. I wasn't done yet. "I don't think your son will like that. And neither your eleven year old daughter."

"Aarib," Sheru's voice, I heard it somewhere in the back of my mind but my rage was too strong. "Hey, stop. He gets it."

Piero's dark eyes darkened further. He shoved me back and straightened his suit, eyes fixed on me that seemed to say game-on. I wanted to scoff, because I knew I had gotten to him good. He cared too much about his children, if not for his wife. And I know I don't threaten people with their family, but as far as I knew cheating was something that needed to be found out—although I wouldn't have told his family.

It wasn't any of my business. And his wife probably—most definitely already knew that.

"Your temper will be no good, boy," Piero grumbled. "Better get it under control. And if you don't want men to stare your wife down, then maybe you shouldn't have brought her here in the first place. How will you prevent every man here from staring at her?" There was a challenge in his eyes, as if he would make sure every male gaped at Haya. "You can't start a fight with everyone."

"If I have to, I will," I snapped back. "Don't underestimate me."

"Never." A dirty grin creeped up on his face, and he disappeared inside another room—the lounge, perhaps—without as much as another glance my way.

Sheru sucked in a sharp breath and shook his head, turning to me. "You want me to take her back to the hotel?"

"That 'her' is standing right here, you know," Haya spoke up. I had almost forgotten she was here.

I moved a step away and turned in her direction—and felt a punch to my chest. She looked. . .hesitant, like, she couldn't decide whether this made her want to stay here or run away.

"Sorry," Sheru called out.

She just gave him a pained, forced smile.

"You want to go back to the hotel?" I whispered softly, searching for her eyes, but she just wouldn't look at me.

Invisible needles pricked at my heart, poking small holes—that's what I was feeling.

"Hey, look at me," I urged. "Please, baby."

Upon hearing my plea, her gaze slid up to lock with mine, and I kid you not, I kid you not that when I saw her eyes glazed, I wanted to tear Piero from limb to limb and take my sweet time doing that.

"It's fine. I want to stay, but I'd like to go to the bathroom first," she breathed, a crack to her voice, like she just wanted to burst out crying and it her a lot of effort to keep the tears at bay.

Peiro Antonio officially made it to my enemies list. I made sure I gave him the top rank, and add in highly-hated with a damn exclamation mark. Actually, you know what? I just highlighted his name with a bright, yellow marker.

He made my Haya cry.

I will make sure he pays for that.

Call me crazy. Call me neurotic. Call me stupid, even. But, don't expect me to not take action when a man stares at my wife. I wouldn't like that.

"I'll take you," Sheru offered. "It's just down the hallway."

A tear gathered at the corner of Haya's right eye. Swallowing my anger, I brought a hand up and caught the tear with my thumb, flicking it away, my gaze lingering on her face, how she was looking anywhere and everywhere except at me.

"Oh, Haya! Aarib!"

We all turned to look at the voice—my sister, Areesha, came sprinting towards us with the goofiest grin on her face, her hair bouncing up and down as she made her way towards us. From my peripheral, I saw Sheru straighten up, as he took in a lungful of air and blow it out after a heartbeat.

"Areesha, why are you here?" I tried to mask the disappointment in my voice but it was just too much there. "And who did you come with?"

"She came with me, brother," came another familiar voice.

I closed my eyes on a heavy sigh, the place suddenly seeming too small.

Of course, he came too.

As if I needed any more of the drama.

Continuar a ler

Também vai Gostar

249 12 18
CHARACTER AESTHETICS FOR YOU LOVELY PEOPLE !!
3.1K 268 45
"He was the definition of what you call bad, he smoked, he broke the law, he drove too fast for his own good.He didn't care because no one taught him...
93.9K 6.6K 34
I don't know if he loves me or not, but I realized my love was real for him... Warning ⚠️ contains SMUT,
43K 4.9K 85
"What else do you want me to say, Mia?" "Did you mean it?" There is a pause and I just-I feel exhausted, the kind that 12 hours of sleep hasn't been...