Borne of Fire

By mstones7

"Let me kindle a flame of remembrance within each of you, so that all those who have fallen may forever live... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50

Chapter 16

1 0 0
By mstones7

High above the North Wood, black clouds gathered in the skies of Kreaton, heavy and brooding, promising nothing good to any who might happen to look up and see them. They lay as a thick blanket from East to West, from North to South. Flashing bolts of lightning did nothing to illuminate the earth below, so dense was their make-up, so unforgiving their payload. No birds flew in that sky, having being terrified into hiding by the Ulrogg war machines which had suddenly appeared where once they and they alone had ruled. The black sky, devoid of anything joyous or peaceful, was an inverted mirror reflecting the feeling of the land below - oppressive and all-encompassing, without hope of escape.

Above the clouds however, a different picture was on display, one which was in direct contrast to that below. Stars twinkled and sparkled, flickering in the black nightscape, waiting patiently as they had done for millennia gone by for the clouds below to pass so they could shine down freely once more. Countless and ubiquitous, silent and unchanging. They had been there for as long as Kreaton had existed and for an age even before that they would be there long after without doubt.

All except one of them.

Not the largest point of light, had anyone been able to see through the clouds they would scarcely have noticed it, being little more than a pin prick in size, but very definitely there nonetheless. Where it hadn't been previously. Nor was it staying there. There were no eyes to see it, nobody to tell of its appearance and even if there were, there would be no way to know how portentous this tiny speck of light could be.

And it was coming closer.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

50.8K 6.1K 170
When she dies of a serious illness, she still remembers her friends from a MMORPG that she had played years ago, and an NPC that has remained in her...
762 87 10
Teenage vampire Lux Erzsebet has more enemies than she can count. A coven hellbent on revenge on her tail, and the enigmatic Fulk Ingelger as her par...
97.4K 4.2K 34
After having successfully defeated the demon Zarged, responsible for the tragedy of the Elf tribe 500 years ago with the aid of the Magic Knights of...
124 16 9
A warrior woman addicted to carnage... A rogue who stopped believing in the right thing a long time ago... A cleric more interested in causing wounds...