The Lightning Thief || Percy...

由 WritingGirl46

From the moment Y/N was created, though she is immortal, she knew she was eventually going to die. What she d... 更多

00 | introduction
01 | the start of a disaster
02 | the math teacher from hell
03 | the fates are stalkers
04 | new york city
05 | the minotaur

06 | orientation and pinochle

1.2K 55 48
由 WritingGirl46

"Where are you going?" Y/N asked, running to catch up to her friend.

Grover slowed to a stop for her. "I'm, uh, going back down to look for some sort of spoil of war from the Minotaur."

It was only the next morning since she'd been down there fighting the monster with Percy. It was hardly considered early in the day, but Y/N was already tired. She probably wouldn't recommend staying up late to kill monsters with your best friends.

Y/N halted next to him at Thalia's pine tree. "Aren't we supposed to stay within camp borders?"

"Well—"

"I'm only kidding. I'm not the fun police," she said, stepping outside of the property.

Grover followed behind. The heavy rain made the grass and mud slick as Y/N's shoes quickly got covered in the sludge. A few times, she'd lost balance and had to run into a tree to keep from fully face planting. The good news was the rain had washed away the monster dust and the gods awful smell. What was left now was the air of fresh rain.

"Hey, are you okay?" Y/N asked after a moment.

Grover sighed. "I... I'm in huge trouble, because I completely messed up with you and Percy."

She touched his arm, stopping both of them to make sure he was listening to her. "No, you didn't. We both made it to camp. What happened to Mrs. Jackson wasn't your fault, okay?"

Grover looked down, unconvinced. "But it was my responsibility, and..." he gazed mournfullyat the pine tree. "I've already messed up before..."

"Look, everyone makes choices for those they love. That was her decision to help the three of us get there safely. You don't have control of the amount of love someone has for someone else. I didn't even know her, but I know she didn't sacrifice her life so we could feel miserably guilty about it. She did it so Percy—and all of us— could have a chance at life."

Grover's eyes welled up with tears, and he suddenly grabbed Y/N's shoulders and wrapped his arms around her. "You're the most amazing friend. Thank you."

She laughed tearily. "Thank you."

He squeezed her one last time before letting her go and stepping away. "Okay, let's find that spoil now."

"Alrighty. Come on," she pulled him down the hill to where she remembered Percy had stabbed the Minotaur. "I think it was this way."

___

In the two fleeting days Percy Jackson was unconscious, Y/N got into a fine new routine at Camp Half Blood. Contrary to popular opinion, she rather liked routines. It provided stability, which was something she missed. Furthermore, being around so many different people and creatures all linked to Greek mythology made her feel like she was back at home.

Annabeth was busy for most of the two days. Y/N quickly learned that Annabeth was special to Chiron. He treated her like an extension of family, and a substantial fraction of the daughter of Athena's time was spent in meetings with Chiron about things Y/N wished she could be clued into.

Between pretending to be a beginner at sword fighting and archery, Y/N spent most of the day hanging out with Grover, wether it be checking up on Percy or wandering around the strawberry fields as he sulked over Percy. Other times, the satyr would be in the woods of camp, and Y/N would spend her time alone, reading or napping the rest of the day away or simply worrying for her best friend, who had yet to recover.

Y/N and Grover were chatting on the porch where Percy had been moved to for fresh air, Grover leaning against the porch railing and Y/N sitting atop the railing, holding onto one of the wooden posts to keep herself from falling backwards.

Her attention was diverted from the conversation as she heard Percy stir. He blinked a few times as his eyes adjusted to the blazing summer sun while Y/N hopped down from the banister but waited for Percy to say something first, letting him gather his bearings first. He swallowed dryly before glancing at the glass of nectar on the side table.

Percy reached for the glass and underestimated his state and nearly dropped the cup. With lightning reflexes, Y/N leaned forward, catching the glass over his hand.

"Careful," she said softly.

He glanced up at her with those familiar sea-green eyes, but he didn't say anything. His eyes searched hers, asking her a silent question. Is this real?

"You saved my life," Grover said. "I... well, the least I could do... I went back to the hill. I thought you might want this."

Y/N quickly dropped her hand from atop his and stepped back as Grover placed a shoe box into Percy's lap. Percy looked a bit sick, like he already knew what was in the box.

Slowly, he opened it and stared at the black and white horn inside. The tip of it was stained with dried blood. Y/N wasn't sure if they should've given it to him so soon.

"It's a spoil of war." Y/N took the forgotten glass from Percy and set it back down so he could examine it. "Uh, like things left behind after the monster disintegrates."

"The Minotaur," he said in reference to the said monster.

Grover tensed nervously. "Um, Percy, it isn't a good idea—"

"That's what they call him in the Greek myths, isn't it?" Y/N could tell Percy was getting frustrated as he demanded, "The Minotaur. Half man, half bull."

"Percy, you've been out for two days," she tried to move the conversation. "How much do you remember?"

"My mom. Is she really..."

He looked past the both of them at the beautiful scenery before him. The grass was a healthy green with little flowers, and spread across the valley were acres of sugary strawberries. The world was bathed in a hazy sunlight, bringing out the vibrant colors. It was beautiful, and Percy was upset. The world shouldn't look this lovely without his mother in it.

Y/N wasn't sure how to handle his question. She shifted uneasily. She'd never been comfortable with death. The other immortal beings seemed quite used to the idea that everything around them was impermanent but not Y/N. It only made her scared.

"I'm sorry," Grover sniffled. "I'm a failure. I'm—I'm the worst satyr in the world."

"Hey, now—" Y/N began, trying to stop him from beating himself up.

He stomped his foot against the wooden porch, causing his shoe to come off, exposing his hoofed foot. "Oh, Styx!"

Grover fumbled with the styrofoam that kept his hoof in place as he shoved his foot back into the shoe.

"It wasn't your fault," Percy answered genuinely.

"Yes, it was," Grover lowered his head. "I was supposed to protect you."

"Did my mother ask you to protect me?"

"No, but that's my job. I'm a keeper. At least... I was."

"We can fix this," Y/N interjected, confidently.

He looked at her with sad eyes. "How though?"

For a moment, she considered pulling the I-have-some-pretty-important-connections card just for him, but she knew better at the moment.

"But why..." Percy tipped his head back slightly, sudden dizziness overcoming him.

Y/N helped him with the glass, bringing the straw up to his mouth.

He recoiled at the taste, not expecting it to be warm when there were ice cubes, but quickly came back and finished the whole glass. Y/N remembered the first time she'd had the drink. She'd done the exact same thing.

"Was it good?" Grover inquired.

Percy nodded.

"What did it taste like?" Y/N added.

He suddenly felt guilty. "Sorry, I should've let you taste."

"Oh, no!" Y/N quickly reassured. "That's not what we meant. I was just wondering what it was for you."

Percy smiled ruefully. "Chocolate chip cookies. My mom's. Homemade."

"And how do you feel?" Grover asked.

"Like I could throw Nancy Bobofit a hundred yards," Percy said with feigned seriousness.

Y/N laughed. Only Percy would make a such a comment after nearly dying.

"That's good... That's good. I don't thing you could risk drinking anymore of that stuff."

Grover took the empty glass from him and set it back on the table carefully like it was an explosive. "Come on. Chiron and Mr. D are waiting."

___

To be clear, Y/N didn't dislike Dionysus.

Despite his dry humor and distaste for adolescents, Y/N considered him a good acquaintance. Not a friend, not an enemy. Just another immortal living out the rest of eternity.

Percy still seemed pretty out of it, and Grover offered to at least hold the horn, but Percy seemed pretty protective of the minotaur horn, and Y/N didn't blame him.

The porch wrapped around the Big House, and as they walked around the other side, the beautiful shore of Long Island came into view. She noticed Percy seemed entranced with the glittering of the water and the ancient Greek architecture. It was the afternoon, so the camp was filled with kids all in the signature bright orange t-shirts like the one she too was wearing. It really was a sight to see the satyrs and demigods all running around, playing in the sand volleyball pit, canoeing, shooting with bow and arrows, and learning how to ride the pegasi.

Sitting at a card table near the front door of the Big House was Mr. D all decked out in a Hawaiian shirt, Chiron in his wheelchair, and Annabeth was leaning against the banister, overseeing the game.

"That's Mr. D," Grover murmured to Percy, giving him a quick cliff notes. "He's the camp director. Be polite. The girl, that's Annabeth Chase. She's just a camper, but she's been here longer than just about anybody. And you already know Chiron..."

"Mr. Brunner!" Percy exclaimed.

The man turned and smiled. "Ah, good, Percy. Now we have four for pinochle."

Chiron offered Percy the chair to the right of Mr. D, who, unsurprisingly, looked at him with bored, bloodshot eyes. "Oh, I suppose I must say it. Welcome to Camp Half-Blood. There. Now, don't expect me to be glad to see you."

Mr. D didn't acknowledge Y/N uniquely. He kept the same blank, uninterested look on his face.

Percy looked a bit uncomfortable. "Uh, thanks." He scooted his chair a little father from him subtly.

"Annabeth," Mr. Brunner called, and she came forward. "Annabeth, my dear, why don't you go check on Percy's bunk? We'll be putting him in cabin eleven for now."

Y/N was pretty excited at that. The cabin was overcrowded, but she was elated they'd be cabin buddies until he got claimed.

"Sure, Chiron," Annabeth said.

She regarded Percy, sizing him up exactly like she'd done with Y/N. She eyed the Minotaur's horn in his hands.

"You drool when you sleep," she said simply, and sprinted down the stairs and towards the cabins.

Y/N nudged his arm. "Don't worry. She'll warm up to you."

"So," Percy said awkwardly. "You, uh, work here, Mr. Brunner?"

"Not Mr. Brunner. I'm afraid that was a pseudonym. You may call me Chiron."

"Okay, and Mr. D... does that stand for something?"

"Young man, names are powerful things. You don't just go around using them for no reason."

"Oh. Right. Sorry."

"I must say, Percy. I'm glad to see you alive. It's been a long time since I've made a house call to a potential camper..." Chiron glanced at Y/N. "Or rather two campers. I'd hate to think I've wasted my time."

"House call?"

"My year at Yancy Academy, to instruct you. we have satyrs at most schools, of course, keeping a lookout. But Grover alerted me as soon as he met you. He sensed you were something special, so I decided to come upstate. I convinced the other Latin teacher to... ah, take a leave of absence."

Percy thought about it for a moment before he vaguely remembered a different Latin teacher, who'd disappeared after the first week of school.

In fact, the whole entire school year had been very strange when he really thought about it.

Chiron continued, "I'd originally came to just teach you, but then I was informed of you too, Y/N. Grover detected something different about you. What did you say, Grover?"

Y/N looked at Grover with as much of a neutral expression as she could muster. This could be bad.

Grover cheeks flushed pink. "Uh, sir, I'm really not sure if I—"

"Ancient. Yes, that was the word." Chiron concluded.

Y/N faked a confused expression. He isn't wrong.

"So you came to Yancy just to teach us?" Percy asked.

"Honestly, I wasn't sure about you at first. We contacted your mother, let her know we were keeping an eye on you in case you were ready for Camp Half-Blood. But you still had so much to learn. Nevertheless, you made it here alive, and that's always the first test."

Y/N didn't think that seemed very safe, but she decided against saying that observation aloud.

"Grover," Mr. D said impatiently. "Are you playing or not?"

"Yes, sir!" Grover's hands shook as he took the fourth chair, obviously afraid of Mr. D.

Y/N leaned against the railing and tilted her head back to feel the sun against her face. For a moment, Percy was distracted at how ethereal she looked as he again thought he saw a hazy glow surrounding her. The sight always came and went to quickly that he was sure he was going crazy.

She looked completely relaxed, like she'd been at camp for years and years. While Percy was internally freaking out, trying to process all the different things that were going on, Y/N was calm and attentive.

That was one of his favorite things about her. She was always very level headed and genuine about everything she did. Her ability to make it seem like you were the only one to exist to her was so unlike anything he'd ever seen before. She put her whole heart into everything, but also never let that make her a soft target.

Out of all the miserable things that happened in the very short amount of time, he was grateful he still had Y/N and Grover. All he ever needed was his friends and his family.

___

2429 | unedited

sorry for taking so long to update
anyways, i realized i did a terrible job setting up grover and y/n's friendship as well, so i hope that gives you a sense of their relationship too
bc like i want them to all be friends and i was kind of focusing too much on just percy and y/n
i hope you feel free comment and make random stupid remarks bc those honestly make my day!!

继续阅读

You'll Also Like

26.6K 1.3K 48
"𝙒𝙚'𝙡𝙡 𝙛𝙖𝙘𝙚 𝙞𝙩 𝙖𝙡𝙡. 𝙏𝙤𝙜𝙚𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙧." "𝗧𝗼𝗴𝗲𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿?" "𝙏𝙤𝙜𝙚𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙧. 𝙔𝙤𝙪 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙢𝙚." || Percy Jackson and The Olympians ||...
1.4K 68 15
Rhea Harroway is not a hero. Heroes don't live their lives with an unknown heritage. So Rhea makes her peace with spending an eternity in Cabin 11 a...
21.3K 620 69
Book One Y/n L/n isn't like most demigods. Being a daughter of Poseidon makes her an outcast, especially since the Big Three swore to never have chil...
21.2K 981 35
'𝘋𝘦𝘴𝘤𝘦𝘯𝘥𝘢𝘯𝘵 𝘰𝘧 𝘈𝘳𝘪𝘴𝘵𝘰𝘴 𝘈𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘪𝘰𝘯, 𝘤𝘩𝘪𝘭𝘥 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘶𝘯, 𝘞𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘣𝘭𝘰𝘰𝘥 𝘰𝘧 𝘢𝘯 𝘦𝘭𝘥𝘦𝘳 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘢 𝘧𝘢𝘵𝘦...