a foul place is where i love...

由 Tidela471

After the war ended, Harry Potter was ready to live a completely normal - well, as normal as things could be... 更多

Introduction
Prologue
One
Two
Three
Four
Four (The Real One)
Five
Seven

Six

1.1K 40 49
由 Tidela471

Update for week May 17 through May 24.

—————

"What is it?" James demanded as Sirius led them down the hall, Lily not far behind.

"We need to regroup," his friend simply replied, heaving open a heavy, metal door.

James was all too familiar with the room beyond from his experience as both an Auror and Order of the Phoenix member. It was as cold and musty as the rest of Nurmenguard Prison, but when compared to the many dark, damp cells spread throughout, it was easily the nicest room. A large, stone table littered with papers and files and candles rested in the center, surrounded by metal chairs. The only decoration adorned the left gray wall—a thick pocket of mist shaped like a rectangle, showing footage of one seething Harry Potter in his cell.

Besides James, Lily, and Sirius, six others were there: Isaac Colbert and Amelia Jackson (who both had aided Sirius in Harry's capture, apparently), Gawain Robards (the head Auror), Remus Lupin (one of their best friends), Kingsley Shacklebolt (Auror and Order of the Phoenix member), and ... Albus Dumbledore.

James didn't know how Dumbledore had gotten here so quickly, nor did he question it. He'd known the Hogwarts headmaster since he had been a First Year student at his school, and after joining the Order of the Phoenix, James trusted Dumbledore with his life. He would be lying if he said he wasn't relieved to see him there—not while he knew of his great wisdom and power, and especially not after Harry's reappearance the year before.

"James, Lily," said Dumbledore solemnly, his blue eyes sad and face appearing older than ever, "please have a seat."

James and Lily did as he said, seating themselves in two chairs nearest to them, while Sirius closed the door and took up a third on James's right.

"If you would be so kind as to start at the beginning, Gawain," said Dumbledore politely, quietly, as he adjusted his half moon spectacles.

"As you all already know," began Robards, his balding brown hair gleaming in the candlelight, "Potter was captured today in a clearing just off the Forest of Dean at roughly 15 hours. My Aurors had been answering to another Death Eater heist on the town of Ross-on-Wye, although now we know that they hadn't attacked any Muggles and had robbed some of the hidden wizard businesses in the area."

Robards sighed heavily, then waved his wand at a paper in front of him. The mist footage of Harry's cell got smaller as several images of obliterated buildings and shops appeared in the remaining space. "We aren't entirely sure if Potter had taken any part in the heist, although I have a hunch that it was mere coincidence. Usually Potter is apart of ..." he shot an apprehensive look in James and Lily's direction, "larger crimes. He's too close to You-Know-Who for a foot soldier's job. But we aren't ruling out the possibility; things have been strange these past few months.

"We've been carefully monitoring his activity these past five hours. He woke approximately two hours ago, and was immediately interrogated by Colbert"—he nodded in the direction of said Auror—"and continued to monitor him throughout that."

Robards waved his wand once again, and the mist pictures swirled into another scene of Harry in his cell, this time accompanied by Colbert. "We ... weren't expecting any of what we heard," he finished quietly.

With another wave of his wand, the image of Harry and Colbert began to move.

"Listen, Ebenezer Scrooge," mist Harry hissed, jerking his torso backwards to release Colbert's grip on him, "Voldemort took everything from me at the age of one. He murdered the only family that loved me. He left me as a lonely, miserable child, and then proceeded to kill and hurt the people I'd carefully gathered and grown to love." Nausea welled in James's guy as he tried to wrap his head around Harry's words. "It is because of that bastard that I became a warrior, a soldier, at age fourteen - or, hell, really it was age eleven - and never had more than a year to be a child in the years prior. And now I've killed him, and he'll never hurt me or, most importantly, anyone else ever again."

The mist paused, leaving the room in a shocked silence as everyone seemed to contemplate Harry's words. James felt Lily's grip on his hand tighten, and he glanced over at her to see her pale face, her green eyes that looked so exhausted. He knew she felt the same way he did, seeing their son like this. Would it ever end? This endless cycle of having Harry, losing him, and then getting him back only to be hurt again?

After a few moments, Sirius cursed softly beside him, drawing everyone's attention. "What is wrong with him?" he asked, seeming unnerved.

"I don't know," James said hoarsely, his voice not feeling entirely like his own, "but he was saying similar things to us when we were in there."

"Perhaps he's just ... lost it," offered Amelia Jackson. "He hasn't been seen or heard from in a year after a disaster that everyone believed had killed him. He could have easily gone mad from it all. He was already on the brink of it last year."

"Perhaps," considered Remus, examining Harry carefully. "While he was definitely twisted around last year, he wasn't like this. To Harry, everything seems to be a game that he gets to control as he pleases, yes, but he prefers to do it through strategic trickery—much like You-Know-Who—and not through desperate acting. Before, he would have never stomached pretending to have any sort of care for James and Lily, nor any hatred for his master." He shot James and Lily an apologetic look at this, which James pretended to ignore. "Whatever he's trying to say, it seems to me that he actually believes it."

It was Colbert who intervened this time. "Well, whatever he's playing at, it's definitely not true," he gritted out. "If You-Know-Who was dead, we'd know by now. We shouldn't believe a single thing that comes out of Potter's mouth. He could be trying to throw us off to save his own hide."

Dumbledore, who had been watching and listening to them in calculative silence, cut in, "Your argument, Isaac, is not invalid. And I do not expect any less of you to be distrusting of Harry." The whole room seemed to wait with bated breath as they waited for Dumbledore to continue. "I must agree with Remus. This Harry and the Harry we met a year ago are not one and the same. Until we can understand all that has happened to him this past year, we cannot simply accuse him and put the situation to rest. Not yet. We need more time to find out the whole story, lest we fall into Voldemort's trap."

The atmosphere grew cold at the name, but, once recovered, Robards sighed heavily. "I understand your reasoning, Albus, but the Minister won't have it. And neither will the public. The law is the law, and Potter has committed some serious crimes. They will want to administer the Kiss by the end of the week."

Suddenly, every bone and muscle in James's body went numb, and the room seemed to do a 360. The Kiss. The Dementor's Kiss.

Lily choked out a sob beside him.

He should've known—some deep, dark part of him had known. But he hadn't let himself prepare for it, consider it.

The Dementor's Kiss.

The ultimate death.

As much as James knew Harry would need to be punished, had only hoped that he would get put out of his misery, that it would all just end, he hadn't ever imagined the Kiss as that punishment as much as he should've. He had always had the quiet hope that if Harry couldn't find peace here, he could find it elsewhere. Even if he died in a cell in Azkaban. But with the Kiss ... there was no chance of that. Harry's soul would cease to exist.

James barely felt Sirius's hand on his shoulder, barely noticed how all eyes seemed to fix on him and Lily.

James heard Lily take in a shaky breath beside him, then watched as she stumbled up from her chair. "I'm ... I need a moment."

Without waiting for an answer, she began to make her way to the door, and James immediately stumbled from his chair to follow her.

Now alone in the dark, torch-lit corridor of the prison, James immediately enveloped Lily in his arms, his vision blurring as she sobbed heavily into his shoulder.

James gently rested his head on top of hers, brushing her beautiful red hair with his fingers. They were both trembling as they held each other. "M-My baby," she weeped quietly, "my baby."

It was James's turn to sob.

"What did they do to him?" she continued.

They destroyed him.

James held her tighter.

He wasn't sure how long it had been before they'd finally calmed down, yet still held onto each other, not quite ready to face the pain the world still had to offer. Eventually, the conference room door opened, and Sirius alone emerged, his face solemn.

"What is it?" asked James.

"Dumbledore wants to question Harry himself."

————

And done. Your weekly dose of angst.

Thanks for reading and don't forget to comment! Next update will be Wack-A-Harry.

繼續閱讀

You'll Also Like

112K 3.7K 31
The war had lasted years too long and Harry was left alone, the only one to survive on the battle field. He couldn't take it. But Death had different...
8.8K 806 20
BOOK 3 OF THE GIRL WHO SAW TOMORROW - Make sure you have read the first two. ❝No one, no matter how great, can know of their own Destiny...❞ As the w...
581K 20.6K 29
Harry died at the age of 157. After he had killed voldemort he was thrown away from everyone he thought loved him. They had betrayed him after the ha...
193K 4.6K 38
Harry Potter Fanfiction Note: Harry Potter is not my property, it's the beautiful creation of J.K. Rowling's Its been 3 months since the war. All tho...