Closing Time

SydCarv

The entrance of a stranger into her bar brings Ryleigh a flood of problem- Demons, Angels, Hunters... and an... Еще

1.
2
3
4
5
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26.
27.
28.
29.
30.
31
32.
33.
34.
36.
37.
38.
39.
40.
41.
42.
43.
44.
45.
46.
47.
48.
49.
50. (End of Part 1)
Part 1 - Epilogue
51. (Part 2)
52.
53.
54.
55.
56.
57.
58.
59.
60.
61.
62.
63.
64.
65.
66.
67.
68.
69. (End)
Epilogue
Sneak Peek
Epilogue II - Unwanted Flashbacks
CHECK IT OUT!!!
Extra Content: Q&A Call!

35.

1.6K 135 9
SydCarv

No reply. Not even an eye twitch. Just dead silence.

I tapped the bar. "Excuse me, guys. I just asked something."

Some of the demons looked away from me, shifting uncomfortably in their seats. The angels turned away on a more indifferent note. Both their reasons for ignoring me were obvious. The demons were scared of Lou's laid down laws and the angels didn't care.

I looked back down at the bar, feeling my heart sink further. I couldn't leave unless one of them transported me out of here. And I needed to get out. This was killing me. "Someone... please..." I whispered.

I hated this. I was dependent on demons for help again in a situation where I had no control. This felt awful. This has to stop. I need to get away from this world.

"Ryleigh..." I looked up, trying to fix my face as I met Axel's eyes. "What happened?" He asked softly, sitting down in front of me. "What's the emergency?"

"It's... a long story. It will take a while to explain." I raised an eyebrow. "I know I've already offered a few drinks on the house because I owe you for the coffee, but can I offer some more for helping me out?"

Axel laughed easily, turning away from me. "You didn't need to offer something. I was going to help you."

"Yeah, but..." I shrugged as I turned around to rummage through my bag. "It's kind of habit at this point."

"Relax. Where are we going?"

I pulled out a small purse, opening it and tugging a card out of it. Axel's eyes went to it as I slid it in front of him. "Here."

"That's not far. I could take you there on my bike." He threw me a concerned look. "Travelling like this cannot be good for you."

"It's the only way for me to get out of here." I tapped the bar uneasily as he read through the address. "Drop me a block away from here and wait. The doorman can't see me appear out of thin air."

"Why not straight to your place?"

"My boyfriend would ask questions."

"Your boyfriend?" He raised an eyebrow, looking up from the card. "That's your emergency? A booty call?"

I ignored the snickers around the bar, shaking my head vigorously. "No! It's something else! It's a long story, I-I can't explain it right now." I placed a finger on the card. "Can we go?"

"Sure. I see you're in a hurry." He held out his hand. "Anytime, Ryleigh."

"Great." My other hand to move to put up a placard on the bar. "Be back soon." I mumbled half-heartedly as was written on it. My other hand didn't hesitate to slide into his. And the moment it did, we were gone.

The bar vanished into darkness and Axel's form dissolved. All I could see was a swirling darkness with the sense that eyes were on me. Several eyes were on me. Whispers penetrating not my ears, but my head. I looked down at my hand. My body flickered a dull white, no sign of any essence which indicated what I was.

And above all, it was cold. It was freezing. However, the trip didn't last long. What felt like moments later, the darkness dissipated to reveal an alley barely a block away. Axel was staring down at me, the black in his eyes dissipating. "How do you feel?"

I frowned, already turning away from him. The urgency in my belly was strong now. "Of course, I'm fine. What else is supposed to be-ugh"

I was yanked back with a tight grip around my wrist. Stumbling back to where we'd just appeared, I threw a glare at Axel. "What?"

He sighed, raising his hand to rub my lips. "Your lips are blue. There's frost on the ends of your hair. It's best you avoid looking like you've stepped out a Siberian winter."

I reached up to grab his hand and move it away from my face. Now that he said it, my lips did feel very cold. I turned again, heading towards the alley's exit as I ran a hand through my hair. "The running will warm me up."

"Whatever you say." Axel mumbled behind me. I could hear his feet fall in time with mine. "Am I coming up with you?"

"No. Wait in the lobby or outside." I replied curtly. I could see the warm light flooding out my door, highlighting Onoda's silhouette.

"Whoa... you live here?" He mumbled to himself.

"Yes. It's a friend's apartment."

Onoda heard my voice, turning to look as I approached the stairs. Surprise passed through him. He quickly tipped his hat. "Good morning, Ms. Ryleigh. Wh-"

"Onoda, Axel. Axel, Onoda." I exhaled harshly as I reached the top of the steps, pausing to get some more words out. "Let him wait here, or in the lobby. I shouldn't be long."

"Hey." Axel replied casually behind me as I dashed through the doors. He didn't follow. The receptionist glanced up at me, also surprised at my hurry and early appearance. I'd been coming back at almost 3 AM everyday for a week now.

The lift dinged open, I pressed my floor and let the door close behind me. The tapping of my foot was extremely loud in the enclosed space. I tried to relax the worried look my reflection was showing by taking a few deep breaths. It helped slow my racing heart down.

Shaking my head, I exited the lift on my floor, starting to feel some kind of regret at doing this. I trusted Trace, so I should have no problem in leaving him alone in my apartment. If I burst in now, he would feel that I don't trust him... but then again, he's been very understanding about my reservations about my private space. He's listened me through everything I've told him. He'll... He'll understand, right?

I hesitated a bit before sliding my passkey through the reader. I entered the passcode, hearing the door click open. Exhaling harshly, I pushed the door open, stepping in and looking around the place.

An almost immediate sense of relief formed in me as I entered the apartment. It wasn't the familiarity but the fact that everything seemed untouched at first glance.

My eyes flickered to the laptop sitting on my kitchen island. It's charging cord was connected and the screen was set to a familiar blank one with the words 'Video Chat Ended' on the screen. He was done? Already? I thought it would take him an hour.

"Trace?" I called out softly, my hand curling into a fist by my side. Is he in the bathroom?

I reached into my purse, pulling out my mace and my mobile. It was set to speed-dial Onoda if I needed him. My heart was in my mouth. And it started up a very dangerous pace as I noticed light streaming out of my bedroom.

All the other doors were also thrown wide open, lights on in those empty rooms too. Did I leave those on? I don't even go in those rooms.

My feet felt like lead as I forced myself to walk towards my room. It felt awful. I felt awful. My gut was screaming to turn back, my heart was pounding out of my chest and I felt on the edge of a breakdown. A breakdown I hadn't had since Lou had forced himself into my life. It felt like a piece of me was dying. I don't want to see what's there. I don't want to see Trace doing what I think he's doing. I want to be wrong. I want to feel guilty for not having trusted Trace. I... I...

I wanted to not hear the sounds of frantic movement in my room. My throat was closing up as I took the last few steps till my bedroom door. My heart squeezed itself so hard as I looked inside. It felt like it would shatter.

My closet was thrown open. My bed was unmade. Clothes were strewn about, drawers thrown open with their contents dumped on the floor and... Trace stood in the middle of it all. His hands moved quick as they tore open a set of old backpacks I barely used. He hurried theough it, yet methodically managed to go through every compartment and every zip that could be opened. His familiar blue aura was clouded with shades of grey and a yellow that disgusted me.

I took a step back as I felt my legs go numb. The wall luckily caught my back as I felt my world reel. The resounding thump as my limp body hit the wall finally gave Trace pause. He was quiet for a very long moment, still for a very long moment. "Ryleigh?" He called out, right as the grey bloomed to its full extent in his aura. It was dark, dark blue... so dark in some places it could be mistaken as black. I guess I should feel relief that he isn't a demon, but I've always known that.

I couldn't say anything. My body didn't respond. My hand shook as I pressed it to my lips as to choke down a sob. The sound was loud enough to make Trace turn around with fear in his eyes. "Ryleigh..." He exhaled, the same fear in his voice.

I slid down the wall. My legs had finally given up as I maintained eye contact. "Trace..." I whispered through the blockage in my throat.

He dropped the bag, eyes wide as he turned around. His steps were slow and careful as he walked towards me, body low as if he was approaching a cornered animal. "Ryleigh, I-I can explain just..."

My phone vibrated in my hand as Onoda picked up. My hand had moved on its own to dial him. I hadn't even realised it. "Yes, Ms. Ryleigh?"

"Onoda,—" my voice was surprisingly stable as I spoke to him, "—I need you to come up here and escort Trace from the building." Trace's jaw tightened, the muddy grey swirled with pale yellow. "Have him blacklisted. If you ever see him around the premises, you're welcome to call the police."

"Yes, Ms. Ryleigh." He replied easily. I heard the lift ding as he called it. "I'm heading up now."

"Thank you, Onoda."

I let my hand fall back to floor as Onoda cut the call. Trace stared at me, frozen in his position with a pained look on his face. "You were never supposed to see this." He finally whispered.

I stared up at him blankly. "I wish I hadn't either."

"Ryleigh, I-"

"Get out, Trace." I cut him off. "Don't let me see you ever again. Don't call me. Don't text me. I don't want to hear an explanation."

Trace grimaced, desperation taking residence beside the pain on his face. Desperation is... orange. "Ryleigh, please. I can explain. This is-"

"Get out." I repeated, raising my arm to point to where he'd kept his laptop. "Take that shit and leave. I will not repeat myself."

I let my head fall back, closing my eyes as I rested against the wall. Trace didn't say anything. I felt the vibrations from the floor as he finally decided to move. The sound of him packing up his stuff was loud in the tense silence.

I exhaled loudly before I pushed myself back up on my feet. Trace turned to look at me as I stood up. "You can put the mace back in. I'm not going to hurt you."

"Yeah. What's the point of it?" I turned to put it back in my purse. "You've already done that."

I looked back up to see Trace's face twisted in pain. "Ryleigh, I..."

Trace trailed off, probably unable to find the words to apologize for breaking my trust. I just felt hollow. My eyes were glued to his blankly as I waited for him to continue.

There was a quick rap on the door. I'd left it open. Onoda pushed it gently, standing at the entrance, but not walking in. "Mr. Adkins, I've been asked to escort you off the premises."

"Yeah, Onoda." Trace finally broke eyes contact. He looked down at his bag as he zipped it up. "I was here when she made the call. Can I have a private moment with her?"

Onoda glanced at me. I hesitated before I gave a quick nod. "Stay there. He'll be out in a minute."

"Thanks... Ryleigh." Stop saying my name.

Onoda nodded. He took a step back out and turned his back to the open door. Trace didn't look at me as he started to soeak. "I... I didn't want to do this. I just want you to know that... I wasn't going to steal from you. I was... I was looking for a-a drive in a hoodie I gave you." He swallowed. I guess lies make his throat dry. "This has gotten way out hand. I care for you. My feelings for you are real. I just... I just hope you give me a chance to explain myself in the future, if not now." He turned away and slung his bag over his shoulder. "Goodbye, Ryleigh."

I observed his aura blankly but my eyes had nowhere to go. The muddy blue aura was barely visible through the pink and other colours now. I'd never figured out what those meant. But I don't think it's anything nice.

He hesitated as he took the first step away from me. He probably expected a reply. But I didn't have one. I felt blank inside, hollow, defeated. I hadn't trusted anyone this much in a very long time and this had happened. It almost felt cruel. I'd requested this apartment because I'd wanted security. Security from peeping landlords, from stealing boyfriends with a key to your apartment, from break-ins, from roommates, from... Security from everyone but myself.

And here I was.

In a swanky apartment which requires a passcode and a keycard to enter, with a receptionist who logs all visitors with ID and a doorman trained to kick out intruders if asked and yet... it was me. I was the one who'd let him in here.

My head turned to side to look over my room once more. It was a mess. And I didn't know why. What was Trace looking for? Had he dropped any clues about it while we'd been together? Had there been anything off about him when he came over?

Was I just dumb?

When I'd walked in, Trace's aura had been a dark blue with flashes of black and yellow. The moment he heard me, the aura flashed bright yellow and pink. Those colours almost overtook his general blue aura.

The yellow and the pinks... Those had been for almost the entire duration of our relationship. Or so I think anyway. My first date with him after I'd been resurrected had been occupied with these colours. And there was no definitive answer as to what these colours meant because all online sources were different! Every damn site had a different explanation for different colours! I'd tried to do my research, but it was frustrating when no two sources were the same.

What was it? What had he been looking for?

That drive? Not possible. I always checked the pockets whenever I wore one of his hoodies. The aura had been so muddy with that dark colour that I'd barely spotted the lie from it.

My eyes shot open wide open and moved to the ceiling. Apart from that shitty excuse, there could be only one thing he was after.

He was here for the... weapons? Those empty, useless weapons in my false ceiling? It can't be anything else. I don't store cash, I don't store drugs, I don't have any expensive jewellery or...

Was he just a run-of-the-mill robber? Did he need money so he was looking for something to sell? The apartment wasn't mine and neither were the expensive appliances here. It would be no skin off my back if that bastard's apartment was ransacked. In fact, he probably deserved it.

But I do rather like this place.

I sighed and glanced up at the clock. I'd been up here too long. It's time to head back. The door was pushed shut and I turned away from my room to head back out the door. It beeped as it locked itself. The passcode changed every few weeks. I'll add in a request for an early change at the desk when I come home.

Axel stood by the receptionist's desk when the lift dinged open. His eyes flickered to me before he turned back to the receptionist. She giggled before she reached out to grab the phone Axel held in his hand. I stood a fair distance away and stared up at the chandelier as I waited for him.

"Anna..." Axel laughed easily as the receptionist giggled again. "You're free in the morning, right? I'll call you."

I turned to look at him as he walked up to me. The flirty look on his face immediately morphed to one of curiosity. "What happened? Your doorman left so fast after your call."

"I needed someone escorted off the premises." I replied blankly as we walked towards the exit together.

"Your boyfriend? Damn. What was he doing when you went up?"

"It's none of your business."

"Come on." Axel nudged me, a sneaky grin on his face. "You can tell me. I won't talk about it."

I gave him a dry look. "Shut up. Text that girl or something."

Axel laughed easily as he held the door open for me. "Ooh, seems like you're feeling jealous."

"You got me." I shrugged, voice absolutely blank. "I thought I was special. Guess I was wrong."

"You don't have to sound that bummed out about it." He exhaled, dejected at my lack of enthusiasm. "So, I'm guessing you're single after what happened."

I pressed my lips together. Technically, yes. I couldn't look him in the eye or be around him after what happened. But I needed answers. "It's... complicated, to put it in a mild way."

"How 'mild' is this?"

"I don't know what scale you want, but it's in the best terms I can put it."

"Ouch. He really fucked up, didn't he..." He trailed off. I knew he was fishing for details. "What did he do?"

"None of your business."

"You could make it some of mine considering the fact that I brought you here and you owe me."

I rolled my eyes, looking at him sideways. "You just said I don't owe you anything."

He shrugged, flashing me a toothy grin. "I lied."

I narrowed my eyes. "He was chatting with a cam girl."

Axel's eyes widened in surprise. "Really?"

"No. I lied." I returned his grin, before I let it drop almost immediately. "Stay out of my business, Axel."

"Fiiine!" He threw his hands up. "You're so hard to deal with. If you won't give me details, atleast give me a date."

I scoffed. "Dream on. I don't date or sleep with customers."

"But you're sleeping with Lou and Mike, right?"

Disgust passed through me. I threw him a harsh glare. "No. Never. Lou wishes, and Mike couldn't care less."

"Fine, fine." He held up his hands in a sign of peace. "Calm down. All I'm saying is that the chemistry is clear."

"Just talking to someone doesn't mean it's chemistry."

Axel smiled charmingly, bumping into my shoulder. "What about us? I think there's chemistry."

"I would bet a month's salary on the fact that you said the same thing to Anna back there."

Axel chuckled. His head fell back to stare up at the night sky. "You're quite sharp. Nothing gets past you, does it?"

"Not true." Clearly. Today was the best proof. "I'm not a wall, Axel."

"You might as well be." He shoved his hands into his pocket and shrugged. "You're practically untouchable to us demons. You seem so... unattainable."

I threw him a confused look. "You're not making any sense."

"I'm saying you're always so distant." He looked down at me. "So professional with everything. Even if the way you talk to other demons seems casual, it still feels very much like just a part of your work. Like you're not you when you're working."

"Probably." I shrugged. "I've been working as a bartender for about five years now."

"Oof. Ever considered a change in career?"

"With what resume?" I raised an eyebrow. "Besides, I like bartending. It's creative, it's fun at times, and I learn a lot about people."

"You like people, do you?"

"Yes." A bad taste formed in my mouth. "Even if it's not been the best for me at times."

"Is this... in reference to your possibly-ex boyfriend?"

"Partly." I stopped and turned to look up and down the street before I held out my hand. "Alright. It's clear. Let's go back."

"Sure." He reached for my hand. "By the way, your skin is very soft."

Something crossed through my mind and I snatched my hand back right before he could touch it. He raised an eyebrow. "It's just a compliment, no need to act that rude."

"No. Not the compliment." I paused. "Actually, thank you for that. But I need something else from you."

Axel raised his hand to scratch his head instead, dark eyes fairly torn. "Listen... I can't just do you free favours upon favours. I am a demon."

I groaned. Both my hand went behind my neck and my fingers meshed together as I racked my brain for something to offer. "I... I don't have anything. That apartment I live in isn't even mine. What do you want?"

"It was just a date earlier for being your taxi service, but with this." He smirked. "How about a night with you?"

I had no choice. "Fine! Yeah, sure. Whatever. A night with me." Surprise crossed through his face at how easily I'd accepted his bargain. "My turn. I need you to contact Lou for me. It's something urgent."

*****************

AUTHOR'S NOTE
Oh-ho-hooooo, Trace messed up! He finally showed his true colours! All your suspicions have been confirmed.
But what's his purpose? What's he doing there?
Stay tuned to find out more! The long wait is going to pay off!

Vote and comment!

Продолжить чтение

Вам также понравится

18.4M 436K 65
𝐒𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐭𝐨𝐨 𝐜𝐥𝐮𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐬𝐬. 𝐒𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐭𝐨𝐨 𝐧𝐚𝐢𝐯𝐞. 𝐒𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐭𝐨𝐨 𝐢𝐧𝐧𝐨𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐭. 𝐁𝐮𝐭 𝐬𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐤𝐞𝐲 𝐭...
His Little Angel katttt

Подростковая литература

169 0 38
"I don't know, Angel, I don't know. I thought you forgot about me but when you stood up to me unlike the boys, I knew a little girl who was clueless...
356K 15.4K 84
Now Complete! *** It begins with sultry dreams, a shadowed apparition relentlessly seeking the sweet heat of her body no matter how Sable resists. Po...
74.5K 1.5K 30
I closed my eyes and swallowed hard. What if I wasn't good at this. I pushed the thoughts out of my head. This was the time for me to show him I'm ju...