The Expansion

Autorstwa ahmadrezaemami2624

It has always been hard to me to believe historical stories such as Noah's Ark accommodating a pair of all li... Więcej

18 thousand years ago, Venus:
The appointment day
The interview
Farewell to relatives
New friends
The Journey to the Earth
AgAin

The Noah

5 1 0
Autorstwa ahmadrezaemami2624

Except for the time I should go to the restroom, I never turned my eyes from the tablet. I didn't realize when my friends fall asleep, and I couldn't remember when I nodded off.

I opened my eyes hard. It was 10 in the morning. I found myself on a sofa with a blanket on my body. Thomas had left a note reading, "I didn't manage to wake you up, we are going to work."

I took my stuff and went home. I didn't even think about going to work. It was the first time to feel I'm on the right path. Nothing seemed to be a matter of importance to me. I wanted to obtain all the information available on the issue and find a way to approach Noah Company by hook or by crook.

My phone rang several times. I had not paid attention to it by the time Stephen came to my place. "Are you OK Adam," he asked. He added, "They called me from your company, asking about your whereabouts. Where the hell are you?"

I didn't bother to open the door. I told him over the door phone, "Tell them I won't come, I'm OK, I need to be alone for some time."

It wasn't the first time I suddenly decided not to go to work, so Stephen didn't get surprised. "Don't put too much pressure on you, and keep us informed," he asked.

I became really crazy. As I walked, I imagined I'm in the space on a spacecraft. I was talking to the home appliances.

An article read, "The stem cells of the best and genetically modified species of animals are being kept at the spacecraft's genetic bank. If any sign of life is found on Earth, they will clone all creatures, so that they could reproduce all animals and plants on Earth. As for human cloning, all scientists believe that it is wrong to clone human being to transfer him to Earth. If Earth has the capacity to house human being, just healthy and competent people should primarily be used."

I told myself if they intend to send some individuals to Earth, they should find some people who are perfect in all aspects, so I am the right option. "My IQ is 140. I have a relatively good appearance. I am 180 cm tall, and I am an athlete. Who else can they select?"

My illusion made me break into a grin, but in my heart of hearts, I knew that this thought had not crossed my mind groundlessly and that I'd been selected for this task!

I was well prepared to work for Noah Company, being ready to undergo any test and hard conditions to be recruited by them. I felt my life would become meaningful if I got hired by them, and I would get rid of this frivolity forever. From then on, I began to work out strenuously, stuck to an appropriate diet, and even registered in an online university in aerospace, reading articles from morning till night.

One year elapsed, and I did it round-the-clock. I kept myself aloof from my friends. I received a lot of messages from time to time. They either expressed concern about me or complain about my unwillingness to visit them. Ignorant about what was going on around me, I frantically strove for my goal.

One day, a message came from the university notifying students that Professor Noah had made it to Venus from Earth and that he was going to take part in a conference about "the possibility of life on Earth" and deliver a speech. All aerospace students and scientists had been invited to participate in the conference. I was extremely glad. I'd always longed to see the Professor closely.

There came the conference day. I was among the first people to arrive at the venue. I made every effort to find a seat in the front row.

The venue was full of noted figures. Being a part of such a community, I was floating on air. I took a look at the people around me - a 20-year-old youth in the middle of several middle-aged people. They all were at least 40 years my senior.

I worried that someone would tell me why I had come so close! It tried my best to be well-mannered. Everyone in the audience stood up in respect and clapped upon the arrival of Professor. I was so excited! I was all of a flutter, clapping so hard that one moment I realized those who were around were looking at me with surprise.

He talked about new research on the release of carbon dioxide trapped beneath the ice on Earth, a task that was required an in-depth powerful explosion. He noted that the ocean surface was frozen to the depth of 200 m and that they had been after a solution to cleave the ice covering the ocean.

He went on, "There are several ways to reach that depth, but they are costly and time-consuming. There is no other alternative to save humankind for the time being. After the last year's disaster which took the lives of many people, the North and South Pole Government were committed to fund the project by any means." The Professor said, "This might be the only way to save mankind and all are required to help." The audience clapped for one minute as a sign of approval. One person in the crowd shouted, "Professor!"

Silence reigned. He asked a question; I was also eager to know the answer to it.

"When will the program to send humans to Earth become operational and what conditions should the volunteers fulfill?"

The Professor smiled and said, "It seems that you hanker after that." The audience burst into laughter.

The Professor replied, "Our priority is to find a way to heat up Earth; otherwise, it is meaningless to send humans to Earth. But, we are planning for it too. In the next conference, I'll talk about it. You should be aware that the first people traveling to Earth will be recruited voluntarily, and, after getting through a backbreaking process, they will be sent to Earth, and there will be no way back! It's a trip with a one-way ticket!"

This statement made me laugh unintentionally. "How fantastic," I shouted.

My remark caused a commotion. It sounded that others do not agree with me on it. Seemingly they liked to just take a visit and return!

Everyone was making a comment. "If you traveled to Earth and its conditions got worse, you would not be able to return," a guy said. Another guy praised my valor but he said, "A no-return journey is equal to death!" "And I don't want to die," he added.

I found this strange. I didn't think about these issues. I was worried that everybody would like to go to Earth, and I would miss my turn.

The Professor went on to say, "Youth under 25 years of age will take priority."

A buzz of excitement began all round again. Those who initially said nobody would go on a no-return journey were complaining about "sending people who will be under 25 years of age."

The Professor said, "I won't elaborate on the issue. Well-prepared volunteers should devote attention to their health and competency. If we find Earth a secure ground and have the opportunity, we will transfer the whole population of Venus to Earth. So nobody should get disappointed. Now I announce that the Venus community should get ready to make it to Earth."

The audience gave him a standing ovation.

I had a good feeling at the end of the conference. I felt that I would be the first person to board the Noah Spaceship. I told myself many people would be frightened to do so and that many others would miss the trip for their age. Swelled with pride, I smiled and decided to devote further time to my improvement. I went to the old café. It was afternoon, and all guys were probably out there. When I opened the door, Elias was the first man to react, shouting, "Look, who's here." "Man! Take the liquor," he asked. Everyone cast a look at me. I dropped my head with a smile on my face, walking past the rows of chairs to reach others. Stephen and Madison were sullen and unwelcoming for my failure to answer their call for a while. But Thomas, Sophie, and Emily behaved as usual and Elias was crazier than ever.

Elias lit two cigarettes and offered me one of them. "Come and sit next to me," he said. "Tell me where you've been," he added. I accepted his offer and sat down. We had been talking by the time a piece of music was played. Madison pulled Stephen's hand and said, "We went dancing." Others did the same and insisted that I should join them. As I had been tough on myself for some time, I joined them too.

We enjoyed ourselves far into the night. Then they told me how everything was going.

I slept until noon, still dreaming of my journey to Earth.

I pushed ahead with my physical exercise and study. With the passing of time, I was waiting for the return of Professor Noah from Earth, wishing he would take me to Earth on his next expedition!

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

17 0 7
Hi there, I'm JD, a 31-year-old Venezuelan-Spanish Economist living in Barcelona with my Russian (pro-peace) wife Anna and our two kittens; we met in...
75 0 45
Ami: "We may be in different worlds, but we share the same moon and stars." This is a sci-fi love story, dedicated to those people who had to depart...
336 72 28
Having faith in something that literally isn't there but is is tiring. Also, the world hates you and you have to fight against the one thing you can'...
116K 11.4K 135
Thousands of years have passed since mankind's extinction, now the remaining society of Humanoid robots on Mars and Machine-like robots on Europa are...