The will of the Gilbert's (An...

By calebdouglas74

33 year old Brantley Gilbert is happy being away from the whole world. He likes being up on his mountain. Bu... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39

Chapter 21

298 14 5
By calebdouglas74

A/N

The school house and the church is the picture on the top of the page. This is where Doc Addison, Luci, Mrs. Cobb and the other women are taking care of the sick. 

Luci's Pov 

I was sitting at my desk at the school. Doc Addison and Mrs. Cobb are helping with a young woman who is sick. Brantley and Otto need to be getting here quick. So far we have lost 10 people from this fever. Don't help that it is only 12 degrees outside. More then half of the town is living in this school. We have 7 rooms all together in this school, and every single room is full with sick people. Poor Sally Matthews is dealing with a lot right now, but she still had time to watch over my Lydia for me when I need to help Doc Addison. I got up and looked outside of the window and I saw more people coming in. At this rate we will loose over half of the town if Brantley and Otto don't get here soon. They have been gone for 4 days now and with all the snow we are getting it will be that much harder for them to get to us. 

I walked over to my desk to get ready to sit down when the door opened up and I saw Rev Meyers walking in. I looked at him and I knew he was sick. 

"Rev Meyers are you okay." I walked over to him. Before he could say anything he couch up blood. 

"I'm sorry sorry Luci." He told me. 

"Don't be. Your sick. Come with me." I said to him. I walked out of my classroom and saw Mrs. Cobb sitting down crying. 

"Mrs. Cobb is everything--" Mrs. Cobb cut me off. 

"Yes. Rev Meyers you need to lay down. Luci over there. I'll go and get the doctor." Mrs. Cobb got up and walked down the hall way to get Doc. 

"Now Rev Meyers I need you to get better. You are the only minster that my Brantley likes." I told him. He coughed again. 

"I'll try Mrs. Gilbert." Rev Meyers told me. Doc and Mrs. Cobb walked over to us. 

"I'll take care of Meyers here, ladies please go and sit down. I can't have my two best nurses getting sick on me." Doc said to us. 

"Well now that you said it Addison, I think I will sit down for a few. Luci, can I talk to you for a minute. In private please." Mrs. Cobb asked me. I looked up at her. 

"Yes ma'am. Don't worry Rev you are in good hands. We are blessed to have a great town doctor." I told him. Mrs. Cobb and I walked out of the room. I followed Mrs. Cobb into my classroom. 

"Mrs. Cobb is everything okay." I asked her. 

"No dear Mr. Cobb is getting sick." Mrs. Cobb broke into a crying spell. I wrapped my arms around her. 

"Where is he at? I can go get him--" Mrs. Cobb cut me off. 

"He's off with the men getting more wood. Oh Luci what will I do if my Percy is called home. I can't live with out that man. He's my only love." Mrs. Cobb said to me while she was crying her eyes out. 

"Maybe he don't have---" Mrs. Cobb cut me off. 

"He does. He's had it since yesterday. But there's not enough meds for everyone so he just takes whatever we have." Mrs. Cobb told me. 

"Dear God we need that medicine so bad." I said to her. 

"Luci, I'm going to ask you one time and if you say no that's fine. I'll just leave it to the good Lord to help me try and find one of my sons, but if Mr. Cobb pass on could I live with you." Mrs. Cobb asked me. I looked at her. 

"Mrs. Cobb you don't have to ask me that. But won't one of your sons want you to live with them." I asked her. Mrs. Cobb smiled at me. 

"My boys and my Percy never really got along. That's why they all moved out by the time they was 18 years old. I wrote them, but they all don't want us. I don't blame them they got there own lives to live and 2 of my sons are well, they like to gambler and be with working girls." Mrs. Cobb said to me. I smiled at her. 

"I bet they would love Miss Opal White." I said to her. Mrs. Cobb laughed a little. 

"But if something would ever happened to Mr. Cobb, Brantley and I would love for you to live with us. You are the only grandmother my daughter knows. Plus you have a special way with her that Brantley and I don't." I told her. 

"I'll pay my way to live with you. And I will help you with the raising of your children. I just don't know how to be alone. I'm sorry for that but I was so young when I married Percy and--" I cut Mrs. Cobb off. 

"You will always have a home with Brantley and I. With one child or if we have all 6 of our children." I told her. She looked at me. 

"6 children." Mrs. Cobb asked me. I smiled at her. 

"Yes ma'am. I've always wanted 6, so that's what I want. Plus Brantley is okay with that number. As long as he has a son to carry on his name he is fine." I told her. Mrs. Cobb wiped her tears away. 

"I understand if you needed to speck with Brantley over this matter---" I cut Mrs. Cobb off again. 

"Brantley will listen to whatever I tell him. He might be the man, but I run my family." I told Mrs. Cobb. 

"Thank you Luci. You are really the daughter I've always prayed I would have. Your mama did a great job with you and when it's my turn to go home I'll be having a long talk with your mama. I know she is proud of you and Ms. Lydia." Mrs. Cobb told me. 

"Thank you Mrs. Cobb. Mama was one strong woman. I only wish she was here with me and my family." I told her. She gave me a small smile. 

"She is here. Looking at you I can only imagine what she was like." Mrs. Cobb said to me. I gave Mrs. Cobb a hug. 

"I do love you Mrs. Cobb." I said to the older woman. Mrs. Cobb gave me a kiss on my cheek. 

"I love you too. Now let's go and help Doc Addison. I need to keep this mind off of my old husband. Lord help him." Mrs. Cobb walked out of my classroom. 

"Dear God, please let Brantley and Otto get home before it's too late. Amen." I said a small prayer. I walked out of my class room so I can help with the sick.  

I made my way to one of the room where we have some of the townspeople who are sick. I was doing everything I can to make everyone at ease. Without any meds a lot more people are going to die. After I was done in this room I walked over to the wood stove so I could put a few more logs in there to make it warmer. Doc Addison we need to keep it as hot as we can so the fever will brake. I thank God that my Lydia is away from all of this sickness. 

I walked over to where Rev Meyers is so I can cheek up on him. I saw he was sleeping so I wipe off the sweat from his face with a cool rag. Whis Brantley and Otto get here soon. Over half of the town is here sick. I was saying a pray when I looked up and saw Miss Opal White standing there looking at me. 

"Miss White are you okay?" I asked her. I really don't like this woman at all, but if she is sick she has come to the right place. 

"No. I was hoping I could help in someway. I walked from the Cobb's Store and that Matthew's girl, you know her you are allowing that child to watch your daughter. Where is your husband at? I need to talk to him." Miss Opal White said to me. If I could get by with killing this woman I would do just that.

"For one, thank you but we don't need your help. And second I trust Sally Matthews with my daughter unlike you, and why do you need my husband." I asked her. Miss Opal just looked down at me. 

"Well, if you please excuse me I have some things I need to do for Doc---" Miss Opal cut me. 

"Just tell Brantley if he needs a real woman---" I cut her off. 

"Well thank you Opal but I am Brantley's wife and the mother to his daughter. So if you don't need any type of medical help then you should be leaving." I told her. She might be a good 6 inches taller then me, but Brantley is my husband and I won't let some 2 cent whore brake up my marriage. 

"Have a good day Mrs. Gilbert. If your not careful you will get sick and then I will move in and raise your daughter as mine---" I cut her off by slapping her across her face. 

"You will never raise my daughter Opal. I think it's time for you to leave right now." I said to her. She walked closer to me. 

"I think you and that bastard baby---" Mrs. Cobb cut Opal off. 

"Luci please come with me. I need your help." Mrs. Cobb said to me. I looked up at Opal. 

"Have a good day Miss Opal." I said to her. I walked passed her. 

"I just stopped by to give you a hand Mrs. Cobb." Miss Opal said to Mrs. Cobb. 

"Well, thank you Miss Opal but we don't need your help. Why don't you go back to the saloon and see if they need your help. Hmm." Mrs. Cobb said to to Miss Opal. Miss Opal gave Mrs. Cobb and myself a nasty look before she walked out of the School house. I looked up at Mrs. Cobb. 

"Mrs. Cobb I am so sorry about---" Mrs. Cobb stopped me. 

"I heard everything. And I am sorry for not beliving you when you told me about her. Will you please forgive me." Mrs. Cobb said to me. I smiled at her. 

"Yes I will." I said to her. Mrs. Cobb pulled me into her arms. 

"Also I like the slapping you did on her face." Mrs. Cobb said to me. I looked up at her. 

"Brantley would be proud." I said to her. Mrs. Cobb was about to say something when one of my students ran into the room. 

"Mrs. Gilbert, Mrs. Cobb it's Mr. Cobb." Young Martin Lewis said to us. 

"What about Mr. Cobb honey." Mrs. Cobb asked him. 

"He's here with Mr. Gilbert." Martin said to us. I took off running to go outside. I stopped at the door. Thank you Lord. I smiled at my husband. I'm so glad he is here. 

"Okay Otto get all of these boxes to the doc right now. We have a lot of people needing this meds." Brantley said to Otto. 

"Yes sir. Then I'm going to Sally's place. Is that okay sir, or do you have more work for me." Otto asked Brantley. 

"Nope your good." Brantley looked over at me. He smiled at me and took off running to me. I opened up my arms and he picked me up and gave me a much long needed kissed. 

"I am" Brantley kissed me again. "Never leaving." Brantley kissed me again. "You and Lydia again." Brantley said before he kissed me again. 

"Good. Because after this you are never leaving my sight again you hear me Mr. Gilbert." I said to my husband. 

"Don't worry about that Darlin. I've missed you so fucking much." Brantley said to me before he kissed me again. 

"Now that we got the meds I want you to get in bed right now Percy" Mrs. Cobb said to her husband. Poor Mr. Cobb was looking really bad. 

"Yes dear. Brantley my boy here is your money." Mr. Cobb said before he went into a couching fit. 

"Thank you sir and Mrs. Cobb for taking care of my girls." Brantley said to Mr. Cobb and Mrs. Cobb. 

"You don't have to thank us Brantley. You all our always welcome at our place." Mr. Cobb said to us, before he and Mrs. Cobb walked into the school. Brantley walked over to Otto and gave him his share of the money. 

"Remember what I told you right Otto?" Brantley said to Otto. 

"Yes sir. Thank you again. Mrs. Gilbert." Otto said to me walking back inside the school house with more boxes for Doc Addison. I looked up at Brantley. 

"You ready to go and see your daughter." I asked him. 

"Yes. And I'm ready for bed." Brantley said to me. I smiled at him. We walked back to the store so we can see our daughter. I'm so glad Brantley and Otto are back. I'm ready for spring to get here now. But tonight I will be sleeping all night knowing the fact my husband is home and back in my arms again. 

A/N

HOPE YOU ALL LIKED IT. 

PLEASE COMMENT, VOTE, SHARE. 

UPDATES SOON. 

THANKS FOR READING EVERYONE. 

HAVE A GREAT NIGHT.  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

448K 10K 48
Harley Knight... Rising country star. Daddy's little girl. Brantley Gilbert... Country outlaw, bad ass biker. Two people, one tour.
3.1M 58.4K 73
After years of insults and backstabbing from her best friend, Faith, Hailey's got a wicked plan for revenge - and it involves Faith's devastatingly a...
30.5K 992 27
Laid Back Ride is the first story in a 3 story series. Starting with this one, Then following up with My Kinda Crazy, Then Eventually leading into th...
171K 5.2K 59
When Darci left North Carolina to move into her granparents house in Georgia, she left everything behind that she had ever known. But being impulsive...