Battle Of Retention

Bởi glitter_xxxlicious

Demons, a merciless, atrocious, most despised species inhabiting the Earth, once dominated over humans for ce... Xem Thêm

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘Introduction∘∙⊱⋅•⋅
Prologue
Chapter 1: The ridiculous duties of an earl
Chapter 2: A stroll to the wild side
Chapter 3: Meeting the cause of all her future miseries
Chapter 4: I tried, but it didn't work out so whatever
Chapter 5: Being social ft. My embarrassing friends
Chapter 6: I can't believe you've done this, punk
Chapter 7: A so called 'serious' discussion with the king
Chapter 8: Haunted by his past; trying to overcome for the better
Chapter 9: Sudden arrival of their issues
Chapter 10: One who can't control emotions, and one who can't show them
Chapter 11: It's sad when you feel alone in a room full of people
Chapter 12: A tragic past too painful to remember
Chapter 13: I'm taking a break, thank you very much
Chapter 14: Surrounded by fools
Chapter 15: About to invite his own death
Chapter 17: The one with the mentality of a child
Chapter 18: Gaining more foes, day by day
Chapter 19: Creepy felines, shirtless idiots
Chapter 20: THIS IS WAR, PEOPLE
Chapter 21: Partnership is for losers
Chapter 22: A secret left to unveil
Chapter 23: What one deserves
Chapter 24: It's okay to cry sometimes
Chapter 25: A monster can never be good
Chapter 26: The once dominant, now insulted
Chapter 27: An indecisive mission
Chapter 28: To be alive
Chapter 29: The evening
Chapter 30: Exposé
Chapter 31: What a dunce
Chapter 32: Identify revealed
Chapter 33: Noah Desmond is a bad boy and he knows it
Chapter 34: The unimaginable coming to reality
Chapter 35: Angels who do not fight

Chapter 16: Socialising can be exhausting

115 14 9
Bởi glitter_xxxlicious

The Adriel household's maid, Luna, guided her respective master and his acquaintance to the living room. The room was rather brightly lit with the modern and confusing paintings hanging across the walls. Thick vanilla curtains hid the long glass windows at the centre, leaving just a shy peak of the city beyond. The Adriel's butler rushed out to open the curtains, bringing the familiar sound of the metal rails above, whilst the view appeared as fast as any modern locomotive.

"Please take a seat, madam." The sweet maiden offered with a cheerful beam.

Alexander's cold, robotic voice thanked the maid, politely but emotionlessly. While Zane explained the issue to his butler, she attended Alexandra's wounds. She first attempted to clean the cut on her cheek, but that took another turn.

"I can do that myself, if you do not mind." Alexandra declined, moving away from her.

"I'm afraid not, miss. I am merely following my orders, and I cannot allow our guest to do it when I am here."

Alexandra chose to restrain her objection, and allowed her to continue. Zane collapsed on a couch just beside them, flabbergasted and bamboozled with everything going on. A heavy silence settled over them, thicker then the uneasy tension present. Zane's unsettled eyes glanced unceremoniously around and tried to avoid catching Alexandra's petrifying gaze-until Alexandra broke the silence.

"Mr Adriel, I'd like an explanation for what occured previously."

"I'm not so sure myself. They called themselves HAVOCs, but I've never heard of anything as such. What about you?"

"No data about them has come to my attention, I believe. I do remember them speaking of your family, why is that exactly?"

Zane went blanch, reminded of his family's tragic death. His heart ached with remorse, knowing he was unable to save them.

"I don't know how they know my family...they died when I was a kid."

"I see, that is unfortunate." Alexandra remained poker faced, unable to portray any sorrow.

"Yeah, I suppose. It's been so long I don't really miss them..." Zane's lips cracked into a woeful smile.

The pin drop silence returned once again, this time twice as uncomfortable. Now the head housemaid, she was quite the talkative one- and that was not helping.

"Um miss , if you don't mind me asking, how did you meet master Zane?" She queried reluctantly.

Alexandra let out a vexed sigh, exhausted to explain it all. Instead she glanced over at Zane, signalling him to take over. Feeling threatened to an extent, he told her everything.

"I see, so you are the lady who rescued master? I am forever indebted to your kindness."

"It was nothing, really; just my duty." Alexandra humbly shook her head.

Sudden Zane decided to join the conversation, unnerved by the serious aura Alexandra radiated.

"I still can't accept how you literally eradicated that thing with so much ease. You seem so weak and vulnerable, but do mind me."

Alexandra stared at Zane, almost looking right through his soul. They were like two pools of blood, cold and perturbing.

"Please do not judge me by my appearance, Mr Adriel. It is revolting and offensive. I may not seem physically strong, but I have intelligence and knowledge. That's all I need."

"Alright I'm sorry, there's no need to get so serious."

"Pardon me, but you yourself are a coward. Do try not to be so full of yourself."

"That's not-" Zane flushed with guilt.

There was no way he could've beat the earl in a debate. Therefore Zane found himself laughing with defeat, surrendering to Alexandra's fury.

Meanwhile, Sierra witnessed the entire thing as she observed them attentively. A sharp pain hit her chest, seeing Zane speaking to someone else apart from her. Not wanting to ruin the atmosphere, she simply walked past the halls, ignoring them with a heavy heart.

══ஓ๑⊶❈⊷๑ஓ══

Time flew by as the noon changed to an idyllic evening. The sun poured out it's brilliant hot oranges and reds into the horizon, as a pot of molten lava. A thin layer of sun ray fell upon the Adriel mansion, making it appear almost like a glowing block of ivory. Flocks of birds journeyed across the heavens, back to their respective shelters in secretive areas of the city.

Alexandra Allura was yet to take her leave, but was stopped by by Zane Adriel, the owner of the estate. As a token of his hospitality, he proposed a small house tour-as Alexandra did in his presence. The housemaid, Luna, was ecstatic to take the honour, and instantly volunteered to lead them around. However a strong defiance came from their respective guest, who still couldn't open up to them. Nevertheless, Zane managed to get her consent, which was easy due to the fact that she couldn't quarrel with him in the crowd. A small introduction was held for her, keeping in mind she had saved Zane once.

"Alright everyone, allow me to introduce Miss Allura. She was the one who saved me from those thugs I told you all about." Zane explained, almost casually.

"A pleasure." Alexandra bowed elegantly to portray her gratitude.

Gouts of gobsmacked whispers and mumbles erupted between the servants trooped together. Sudden queries were received by Luna from the other servants, who were rather intrigued to know the answers.

"Do you know this lady, Luna?"

"She seems so polite, are you sure she is the master's friends? I mean master's every friend is chaotic as heck."

"What happened, master Zane? You seem tired."

"Calm down, guys. She's not my friend. And a few assailants was onto us, and we ended up getting hurt. But nothing serious happened, don't fret." Zane giggled, amused by the worries of his servants.

"You know this is the second time the earl Allura saved master's arse. Couldn't be any more cool." Zane's butler added, giggling mischievously.

Zane's cheeks flushed with embarrassment, reminded of how pathetic he appeared in front of his guest just previously. Though a part of him already knew he were to become the laughing stock sooner or later.

"Come on, guys...stop that. I know I was careless." Zane pouted, cheeks beet red.

Delirious giggles echoed around the hall, creating an euphoric atmosphere all around them. Sierra Adams joined the laughter, not quite elated herself.

"Hey where were you?" Zane turned to Sierra, who seemed unpleased herself.

"That's not important, Zane. Do continue with whatever you're doing." A sweet smile formed on Sierra's alluring face.

"Ah, yes. Luna, could you show her around while I attend with Sierra for a bit?" Zane requested, pointing at Alexandra.

"I don't desire to see y-"

"Why, it would be my pleasure!" Luna interrupted Alexandra deliriously, almost squealing.

"B-But I don't w-"

"This way, Miss Earl. It won't take too long!"

Luna's smile had 'innocence' written all over it; something Alexandra wasn't able to defy. Just as venerable as humans like Luna were, they could still silence Alexandra in no time. Maybe it was their purity that weakened the Demon; some kind of immunity that they had.

The house was grandly decorated with modern amenities that brightened it further. The windows were bound with frames of platinum. A delightful fragrance of gardenia diffused to several areas of the entire house. The pleasant atmosphere was somewhat unnatural and tedious to the earl who was brought up in a world of maligncy and misanthrope. Even after years, it couldn't change for her.

"Miss Earl, if you don't mind me asking, are you British?" Luna queried out of context, astounding her.

Alexandra pondered about the question, bewildered whether to answer or not. Technically, she wasn't even human; let alone British. However, before arriving to London, Alexandra cunningly arranged a fake identity for herself as the predecessor of the Allura clan.

The 'Alluras' themselves weren't nonexistent. The Alluras used to be an influential and flamboyant clan back in the 18th century, but after the Demon rule era came to an end, most of them disappeared without a trace. Their family name was a suitable cover-up for Alexandra while she settled in among humans. Surprisingly, no-one questioned her hereditary, thanks to the fake documents and wills that confirmed it all.

"Indeed I am." Alexandra nodded reluctantly.

"So you're really an Allura? Mind my statement, but I thought they were all slaughtered by Demons?" Luna frowned, flabbergasted.

"That is true, young maiden. My parents lived overseas during that period. They survived it all, you see. Hence, after their death, I was the only heir left."

No hint of guilt arose within Alexandra as she explained something that was entirely untrue. Alexandra had it all planned beforehand, knowing it might be necessary. But who knew she so well at manipulation.

"That is unfortunate, miss. I'm so sorry." Luna croaked, genuinely pitying Alexandra.

"Do not worry yourself with it. It never mattered to me nevertheless."

Luna couldn't avoid Alexandra's apathetic demeanor. It was a mystery how she managed to say all that with a straight face-which was rather difficult even for the toughest of men.

"Is this all? I'd like to take my leave now..."

Right as Alexandra prepared to leave, she almost bumped into the person who suddenly appeared behind them. Fortunately, her quick reflexes came in handy, and she reacted with an unfriendly glare.

"My apologies for alarming you, ladies. I didn't notice where I was going." The lean, intimidating male apologized chivalrously.

"The fault is equally mine, fellow gentleman. It was foolish of me to halt midway."

"Oh dear, your courtesy is amusing. Who may you be?"

"Oh hey, Ralph! When did you come over?" An excited chirp echoed around the hall as the speaker rushed to them.

"Greetings, Lord Adriel. I returned just a while ago. I was looking for you when I met this kind miss here."

"Oh, so there hasn't been an official introduction yet, I believe?" Zane beamed.

"No please no need for tha-"

"Ralph, this is Earl Alexandra Allura, the one who saved me previously. And Alexandra, this is Ralph Landers, an old friend." Zane introduced with an innocent smile.

Alexandra rubbed her forehead, exhausted to protest at all. Ralph's eyes crinkled sweetly as he lend his hand to her. She shaked it reluctantly, however still annoyed. Ralph detected a malevolent aura immediately, astonishing him even further. Eminent doubts began to rise within him and suspicions about this woman's identity perturbed him.

"If you don't mind, gentlemen, I'll be guiding miss Allura to the door now." Luna intervened with a raised hand.

"Oh you're leaving? Well, I hope this tour was to your liking!" Zane gleamed warmly.

"Satisfactory, thank you. Farewell, Mr Zane Adriel. Hope we don't have to encounter again."

"Same here." Zane chuckled.

"Miss Allura, it was a pleasure meeting you." Ralph added.

"Likewise, Mr Landers."

With that they separated from each other, leaving Zane and Ralph behind to chat. Ralph's mind was dissarayed but full of anticipation, to find out whether what he assumed was true-Alexandra being a Demon.

"Lord, this woman, did you sense anything queer from her?" Ralph inquired as they strolled past the hall.

"Apart from her aloof and creepy personality, none." Zane giggled.

"Oh? Well then, I'll make sure to find that out..."

══ஓ๑⊶❈⊷๑ஓ══

Astrid Kestrel's mind dissarayed with thoughts of the esoteric, peculiar gentlemen she previously encountered with. His proposal was suspicious, but intriguing. What kind of relationship he shared with her father was out of her understanding. Of course she was thirsty for vengeance, therefore rationality was at the end of her list. Mental exhaustion lingered around her, unable to come to a conclusion.

Tired of everything around her, Astrid drove to visit her father at the cemetery-away from the city commotion. The cemetery whispered under the sallow moon, a frigid wind rustling newly browned leaves, each of them becoming more crisp as the chills draws closer. She moves across the cold earth tiptoeing, her feet faster than any ballet dancer on any stage in the world. Her heart accelerated as her scarf beat against each passing stone and her face will remain rigid until she bursted into the street on the other side, sucking in air like she's never really breathed before.

She collapsed right in front of her father's grave which stood out with colourful flowers. An eerie silence surrounded the cemetery along with the chilly wind blowing softly like whispers asking Astrid to leave. But she was persistent. She was just seeking her deceased father's guidance; foolish yet painful at the same time.

"Father, life is difficult now. Without you, it's hard to hold myself together." She spoke, throat dried and an inferno rising in her heart.

The submerged anguish gradually came to light through Astrid's tears that refused to come out. The uncontrollable sobs broke Astrid far worse than before. For this time, no-one was there to lend her a shoulder to cry on.

The atmosphere darkened further, when a hand patted Astrid's head softly. Astrid's expression switched to a look of terror. She stood defensively, ghastly with tear marks on her cheeks. It was that gentleman from before, to her surprise.

"You, again?" Astrid paled indifferently.

"What? You look like you've seen a ghost!"

"Uh..."

"Oh blimey! How ironic, we're at a cemetery of course!" The male laughed loudly, breaking the silence rudely.

"Please, the dead lies here. Show some respect. Why are you even here?"

"Why, I told you I'll meet you soon didn't I? This place seemed most suitable, you see. Don't fret though, I have no ill intentions." He smirked audaciously.

"Well, what do you want now?"

"Well, I come to propose another offer. I say, you don't have to do a lot. If you just do what I instruct you to, the culprit will be found in no time."

"How will this benefit you? There's no way you should help me without a purpose. What's your price?"

"You're correct. You are aware of things beyond me, and acquaint to people who might come useful."

He bounced closer to Astrid with perfect flamboyance, alerting her to step back. However, she couldn't. A fatherly ambience radiated from him, soothing Astrid's mind unknowingly. He raised his arm and stroked her hair with smiling eyes that gave comfort to her.

"I promise you, kid, I'll find the killer. No matter what, this cruel world will change."

"What do you mean, 'change'?"

A sweet chuckle escaped his lips as he hid it behind his coarse palm. His eyes suddenly hinted the melancholy he suffered from, but it was not evident.

"You will know with time, child."

Astrid narrowed her eyes at him doubtfully. He slightly reminded her of her father, but that was probably her mind playing tricks.

"Mister who are you, really?"

"Bloody hell, I forgot! Mind my manners. I am Stephen Homer. I work for his majesty." He replied proudly as he took off his hat and bowed.

"Ah, I see. Makes sense..."

"Alrighty, then. See ya, kid." Stephen turned around to leave as his hand still waved goodbye to Astrid.

"Hey wait! What's your reason for catching the culprit? What's your story?!" Astrid yelled loud enough for Stephen to hear.

He halted abruptly, his carefree smile fading in an instant.

"I've lost, too."

Stephen Homer

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

257 84 15
Back to college, and it's like I've enrolled in a survival course I didn't sign up for. My hometown's not just quaint-it's a battleground for angels...
288K 6.7K 70
"You know I can't just let you go." He says. "You have no choice" I weakly say with tears falling. "I'm not letting you go. I just can't allow you...
20.2K 884 13
Angels vs Demons in modern day London. Grounded to Earth, angels have been battling demons for centuries. Camael believes that this year will be a t...
90.1K 1.1K 25
In a world full of zombies and mutated zombies Y/N and his companions goes through the depths of hell. Will they survive?