Concealed (Unbound, Book 4)

由 SashaLeighS

After regaining her memories, Nora outed the prankster and stripped the Larkin family of their abilities. She... 更多

Author's Note
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Author's Note
Update
Revealed (Unbound, Book 5)

Chapter Nine

804 68 2
由 SashaLeighS

The rest of the week dragged on. I managed to miss fifth period every day, thanks to the excuses from Devland after Monday. Eventually, I knew I would have to return, but I was determined to wait until the dreaded testing that Mrs. Hendrey had said would happen at the end of term. Since she couldn't really teach me anything, I'd wait until then. It was only a couple weeks away and then I could be placed in another level during my final semester of high school.

First, I had to get through the dance that Maible wouldn't be quiet about tomorrow.

I walked to the parking lot from the running track, where I'd spent fifth period clearing my head. Calin had said that he had a surprise for me so that we could start the weekend on a good note for a change, but right now, all I wanted was a cold drink and a shower. After a week of early nights sleeping like the dead, I felt energized enough to go for a run. Now, I felt sated, though oddly rejuvenated. At the very least, I could call upon fire.

If I could spend the evening in books looking for a cloaking spell before having to help with decorations tomorrow before being stuck appearing at the dance, I may even have everything I need to help Maible. Energy, hopefully a cloaking spell, and a willing participant. At least Maible hadn't spent the entire week bugging me about when I'd be able to help her. That helped me regain some of my energy since I hadn't used it placating her.

Walking up the final set of stairs to the parking lot, I caught glimpse of Calin and Maible waiting beside my car, which we'd taken this morning so that there would be more room. I crept up from behind. Calin's eyes darted to me and I put my finger to my lips as I came up behind Maible. He looked back at Maible as I jumped forward, screaming hello as I poked her in the side.

"What the—Nora!" Maible jumped and spun around, swatting with her hand, but I had already moved away to stand behind Calin as I laughed.

"Ha! You should have seen your face!" I giggled and let Calin block Maible as she reached out to hit me again.

"You better be nice, or I won't help Calin with your surprise."

"Hey! That's a favor for me, not her!" Calin stepped to the side, keeping me away from Maible, but laughed. "And don't ruin it."

"Whatever." Maible rolled her eyes and then glared at me. "You are not getting your surprise until you get a shower, Nora. Did you run all afternoon?"

I shrugged. "Half of it."

"Okay, okay." Calin held up his hands as though he was playing mediator. "Let's drop Nora off so she can have a shower and I will grab my car to take Maible home. After you are ready, Nora, drive to Maible's and I will meet you there so that we can give you your surprise. Agreed?"

Maible nodded and I shrugged.

"Good. Now, get in." Calin gestured to the car and stomped away.

I looked at Maible and we both grinned. Obviously, Calin hadn't much experience with girls if he thought we needed him to play peacekeeper. If Maible wasn't right about my needing a shower, I'd be willing to play it out longer just to see him uncomfortable for a while. It was fun.

"Come on," Maible said, and started to follow Calin. "I promise that you don't want to lag behind once you find out what the surprise is."

"Can you tell me now?"

"Nope," she said, popping the p.

I got in the car and turned to Calin, who started navigating his way out of the parking lot as soon as our doors shut. "What is going on, Calin?"

He grinned, looked at me and back to the road, but stayed quiet.

Maible laughed from the backseat. "Okay, Nora. You are not learning anything until you go home, shower, and come to my place. You'll need to tell Devland that you're staying at my house tonight. Think you could pack a bag with overnight clothes and stuff?"

"What?" I looked between them. "Why?"

"Cause you are coming for a sleepover," she said.

"Why? I'm not decorating for the dance tonight, Maible," I said.

"I know that!"

"Then what?"

"Can you trust us and wait?" Calin finally asked, interrupting our exchange. "Tell Devland that you are sleeping at Maible's, pack a bag with PJ's and whatever girls need, and then meet me at Maible's."

"Am I going to have to sneak back into the Manor or am I actually staying there? This all seems very... fishy."

Calin turned into the driveway of the Manor and parked behind his car. We all got out of my car and he rounded the front, stopping beside me and holding out my keys.

"I promise, you won't have to sneak in and it is truly a sleepover. It'll be fun."

"Are you sleeping at Maible's?" I snatched the keys from him, fisting them as I crossed my arms.

He laughed. "No."

"Then?" I shook my head. "I'm so confused."

Calin grabbed my shoulders and turned me towards the door, leaning in to whisper, "You'll like my surprise, Nora. Go. Get showered and changed, pack a bag, and meet me at Maible's. I swear, the faster you do this, the happier you will be. Don't worry. I talked to Mrs. Renaldi and she will stop by to take care of Onyx for you."

Before I could say anything else or demand an answer, Calin pushed me towards the stairs leading to the front door. For once, he didn't wait to ensure that I got inside. Calin and Maible must have ran to his car. A moment later, the doors slammed, and the car sped away, taking my argument with them. I sighed and stomped up the stairs. Whatever they had planned, it better be worth it.

*****

Forty-five minutes later, I was showered and packed. I slung an overnight bag over my shoulder and went downstairs to Devland's office, but he wasn't there. I didn't see him in the dining room, either, so I went back to his office and wrote a quick note to explain my absence. Hopefully, that would satisfy his desire for me to check in if I planned on not coming home.

I wasn't willing to wait for him to make an appearance to ask permission.

Leaving the note on the top of his desk, I went out to my car, not once looking back as I drove away. If I was staying at Maible's and Calin wasn't, how was this a surprise from him? I hadn't packed to stay in the clearing again, though I wouldn't be opposed to it. Still, they were acting off. I couldn't wait to find out what they were planning. Since I had my car, I could leave if it wasn't something that I was okay with.

Parking my car in front of Maible's, I grabbed my bag and went to the front door, tapping my foot as I waited someone to answer the doorbell. It was hot out and I would need another shower if I had to wait longer than a couple of minutes. Shifting my weight, I raised my hand to knock just as the door opened.

"Finally!" Maible rolled her eyes and reached out, yanking me inside. "Hurry up. Calin's ready to go."

"I'm sorry?" I asked, nearly tripping over her entryway rug as she continued to pull me along with her to the kitchen. "Where are your parents?"

"Oh, they took the kids to the splash park," Maible said over her shoulder.

"Okay, then where is Calin? Why am I here?"

"He's right here," Maible said and we entered the kitchen, where Calin was standing at the kitchen table with a cooler that he appeared to be putting food into.

"What are you doing?" I asked in lieu of a greeting, pausing in the entryway.

Calin looked up and smiled. "Hey! You ready to go?"

"Go?" I looked between them. "Go where?"

Calin glanced at Maible. "You didn't tell her?"

Maible shrugged. "I didn't want to steal your thunder. You arranged this. I am just playing decoy."

"Of all the things you decide to keep a secret about." Calin shook his head and went back to packing the cooler.

"Decoy for what, exactly? Why are you packing food, Calin? Where are we going? Don't we have the dance tomorrow night?" I looked at Maible. "I thought you wanted help decorating for the dance?"

"Oh, but that's already done," she said, smiling sweetly. "Don't worry, if Devland calls, you'll either be sleeping or showering or decorating."

"But?"

"You totally won't be here," she said.

"Okay, if one of you don't tell me what the hell is going on, I'm leaving." I crossed my arms and looked at both of them, hoping Calin would glance up to look at me in return.

He placed the last of what he planned on packing in the cooler and secured the lid, locking the handle in place so that it was upright. Finally, he turned to me and smiled. More than his grin, his eyes were lit up, and he truly seemed happy.

"What's going on, Calin?" I asked again. "I wrote Devland a note, which you know he is going to flip his lid over, so I need a reason to want to get into another confrontation with him."

"Well, I know that you've had a rough week, recovering from everything," he said, not moving away from the table. "Plus, you've been through a lot before that, what with the whole memory ordeal and Duvessa. Not to mention the time you weren't given to grieve over your mother."

"And?"

"I thought it was time that you had a night to relax." He shrugged. "You called your friend from Briarville and I realized how much different you are with her. Maible and I talked, and she told me it's probably because you've known her your whole life. She is your family."

"Her family is my family," I said, including Aiden and Aubrey-Lynn.

"Right." He nodded.

"So, what?"

"I have Nancy's number since we called, so we've been talking this week. She helped me make a surprise for you. Or, at least, Maible came up with the idea and Nancy helped me organize it. She was the mastermind behind this whole decoy agenda."

"We are doing something Nancy suggested? Do you have any idea how wrong this can turn out?"

"It won't." Calin laughed and picked up the cooler before started across the room. "She's ingenious, you know?"

"Uh..." I tilted my head, hoping that there would be some sign that indicated he'd been hit over the head. No idea that Nancy came up with was sane.

Party?

Blind Date?

All bad ideas.

"You honestly have no idea?" Maible finally interjected, and I turned to her. "I told you that I had an idea to solve your problem contacting Briarville!"

"How about we take the surprise out of this and you tell me?"

Maible turned to Calin and raised her eyebrow. "I don't think she is getting in the car if you don't spill it, Mister."

"I—"

"She's right." I crossed my arms.

Calin stopped in front of me and smiled. "Nora, we are going to Briarville for the night. If we leave now, we will get there for a late supper. Aiden and Aubrey-Lynn said it was okay, and Nancy is expecting us. Her boyfriend—Jules? –is going to be there, too."

"Are you serious?" Something blossomed in my stomach and stretched into my chest. It had been so long since I'd been truly happy, I almost didn't recognize it. My leg twitched as though my muscles were trying to remind me to move.

Calin nodded and appeared to be biting his cheek.

"Why aren't you out the front door already?" Maible asked.

"Right."

I sucked in a breath and pivoted, though I didn't move until Calin nudged the small of my back, giving me the push forward that I needed.

Sure, I knew it was probably a bad idea. Somehow, Devland would figure out I left, but I didn't care. By the time he realized I wasn't here, they'd devised their plan so expertly, it would be too late for him to stop me.

My steps quickened as we made our way to the street and I nearly hopped in place waiting for Calin to unload the cooler in the backseat of his car and unlock my door. I watched him over the top of the car as I waited, unsure how I was ever going to thank him. I couldn't believe he'd contacted Nancy behind my back to arrange it.

Finally, I was headed home.

The only thing that dampened my elation was knowing I'd have to come back.

A/N: Dedicated to @AllyAnderson7 for reminding me to update in the most polite way! I hope you like Calin's surprise.

繼續閱讀

You'll Also Like

590 48 18
Maie DeNill thought life was going to simple, and easy. But life as a Witch is never, simple, or easy. And unbeknownst to Maie she has the mother o...
2.3K 254 38
Fresh from his encounter with the witch who sought to enslave him, Victor Grant thought the worst adventure of his life was over. The time had come t...
66.7K 5.3K 56
Robbed of her past, Nora tries to recall who she is and where she came from, though nobody will tell her what happened to cause her to lose her memor...