A SON'S RESTITUTION

By sakuralou2689

Carol Danvers-Montmartre/Captain Marvel faced controversies, deaths, and accusations which she couldn't handl... More

BOOK I: Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
BOOK II: Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
BOOK III: Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48

Chapter 6

55 1 2
By sakuralou2689

(A Month Later: The White House, Washington DC, 9:00 AM)

Carol Danvers or Captain Marvel had another follow-up meeting with the Head of State. She flashed a holographic screen of the globe in the Oval Office as he intently looked and carefully studied it.

" We call it the Planetary Defense Shield, Mr. President, " she explained. " An impenetrable force field designed to stop the earthbound flow of extraterrestrial travel...hostile or otherwise...in its tracks. "

" Colonel Danvers, when you say impenetrable? " he asked.

" We need to do the field testing. But on paper, it looks like Galactus himself couldn't bring this thing down, sir. It will perform as advertised. And that's important given where we are right now. "

The President seemed to be interested and kept listening, however he was considering the other officials who would hear from this proposal. He put his hands on his pockets and continued thinking. Carol was waiting for him to agree with it. Then, she recalled an incident where she, Rhodey, and her teammates were in space to defeat Thanos which it caused a great problem. The Inhuman boy, Ulysses Cain had foreseen that day as it was fulfilled.

" The last Civil War started because Thanos and a Celestial were able to just show up and not see a single bit of resistance until they made landfall. And we're looking at this Chitauri fleet which is the largest single alien army to ever come our way, even bigger than the annihilation wave. Getting closer every day, we need to be ready, Sir. "

" Hmmmm... It's certainly an intriguing proposal, " he answered. " But I need to consult with Congress and Steve Rogers. "

Carol felt very perplexed which she remembered the day when the President was so eager to hear about her request. This time, he became uncertain to decide and execute such plans and proposal.

" Wait a sec, you had given me your blessing to ask anything before. How come you need anyone's help? Is this something's fishy going on here?! " she thought and calmly replied. " With all respect, Sir. I don't think that's a good idea. You're aware of the politics at play, here. This technology was brought to me by Maria Hill, the former director of SHIELD. No one admires Steve more than I do, but I'm concerned he might be a bit biased against it. But beyond that, if we're going to move forward with this, I need to have complete autonomy. I need to know that Steve might be the authority down here, but I'm in charge up there. "

" Well...I... "

" Look, Mr. President. The last time I was here you asked me what I wanted to do going forward. You put a lot of impressive options on the table. And I told you I'd been thinking about the future. Well, this is it, " she smiled and kept convincing. " This is our future, one where we control our destiny. "

(Two days later: Capitol Hill, Washington DC, 10:00 AM)

The sea of crowd and mediamen flocked around at one of the most prominent places in the nation's capital. The event was televised which Captain America or Steve Rogers stood beside the government official. The patriotic Avenger swore an oath and proclaimed as the succeeding SHIELD Director for his second term.The other heroes attended and witnessed his oath taking ceremony. Standing beside the official, Colonel Carol Danvers also came to this event. Somehow, she felt very uneasy even she remained calm at this moment.

Moments later, Steve stood on a wooden podium which it has a SHIELD emblem on it. He took a deep breath to pacify himself and faced in front of the crowd. The people were tuning in to his speech.

" I understand how you feel, " he said. " You're looking around you at a world you don't recognize anymore. A world that doesn't seem to make you sense anymore. I've been there. When they pulled me out of the ice, I woke up to so many changes...some amazing: new technologies that made our lives easier, advances in human rights, and a growing yearning for peace. But others were terrifying. Doomsday weapons, people being born with strange abilities they couldn't control. Gods walking on Earth. What I learned...what made me cope with that...is an understanding that the more things change. The more they really do stay the same. That there are values we hold...beliefs that we have...that are timeless and remain true in the pace of any threat. And we do face some threats now. Perhaps more than ever before. They've become more insidious. "

" This new HYDRA and its terroristic attacks have made Americans afraid to congregate in public and distrustful of their own neighbors...while they spread the message of hate to the most vulnerable among us. Unknown monsters from beyond the stars fill us with a sense of omnious dread, making us question our place in the universe. And then, there are the monsters we know all too well...the ones we've struggled against for so long...the ones who would seek to tear down everything we've worked so hard to build. "

" Faced with all of this, you turned to us and this is where it is high time with someone was honest with you...WE LET YOU DOWN. " Steve glared at the Colonel Danvers and continued. " When you needed us the most, we let ourselves get distracted by our own... PETTY SQUABBLES AND THIRST FOR POWER! "

Sitting beside Monica Rambeau, Carol's face grimaced and crossed her arms. She became more uninterested to listen. Those harsh truthful words from Steve Rogers had roasted her ego. The memories of that troublesome battle had returned to haunt her again. She became so uneasy as her monstrous skeleton was terrorizing her mind. The so-called future turned mistake she believed, reminded of how the Avengers failed tremendously.

" I could have died more than a week ago. No one even listens to me right now! "
the blonde half-Kree woman angrily thought. " Steve is blatantly pointing at me as a damn failure! Why do I need to attend this crap?! "

" Whether it was through carelessness or corruption, we failed you. And we let these dangers get much too get close to our doorstep. But I am here to promise you now, that it will never happen again. I speak for everyone serving under the SHIELD banner and everyone from this platform. When I say that, from this day forward, we are going to redouble our efforts. We are going to reaffirm our solemn commitment to you...to protect this country and this world from all those who would do us harm. People will feel safe again. Now, I understand the enormity of this movement, never in our history has one person been trusted with this much power. And truth be told, I was reluctant to accept it. I didn't ask for this role nor did I seek it. In fact...I wasn't even my own first choice. "

" But when I looked at the challenges before us and the defeats that preceded them, I realized there was no decision to be made at all. That none of us could afford to do so less than everything our abilities allowed. And so I accept this position with a heavy heart. And a desire to see its authority and reach diminshed the moment it is no longer needed. Until that day, though, I will work to honor this sacred trust that you have placed in me. To use these powers responsibly and in keeping those values we hold so dear. Because I believe that's really what this is all about, not just to avoid catastrophe or destruction, but to use these adversities to make ourselves something stronger. To forge something great from the fires they would see burn. "

" That's my call to all of you to assemble. Assemble under one banner, from the Avengers to SHIELD to the United States and our allies to the World Security Council and the United Nations, to every man, woman, and child who believes in good on this Earth. Let's not just seek to survive these tragedies. Let's build something better, something nobler, something truer in the face of them. Let's not just save the world, let's prove this is a world worth saving! "

Everyone applauded and cheered at Captain America's long speech, except for Carol who never reacted at the event. She was not pleased to attend this event, but she had no choice for the sake of her fellow Avenger.

(HOURS LATER, THE WHITE HOUSE)

The chattering and murmuring had wandered around the place. The clanging of champagne and wine glasses was a symbol of success and celebration when Steve reinstated his position as a SHIELD Director. Everyone congratulated him after the speech.

Unexpectedly, the crowd was surprised to see the young green giant named Amadeus Cho went battling another humongous being. They clashed against each other when they caused such damages inside the room. Steve felt disappointed at the two and stood in between them to pacify the trouble they made. Carol interrupted the riot, putting her both hands on her waist and glaring the young Hulk. Amadeus angrily grunted and walked away as he kept on ranting.

Steve sighed in relief, saw his friend, and decided to talk outside the party area. Finally, this could relax himself after all the overwhelming events which he had been through.

" Carol, you changed, " he smiled.

" I have to get back to the office, " she said.

" Before you go..."

" We should talk. Yeah, it's been a big week. "

The two went to the balcony as the dark clear and starry night sky greeted them. Carol recalled those days when she visited the President in the White House about her future strategies in protecting the planet and those days she saw her future. Steve intently listened at the entire discussion and became too skeptical. He raised his eyebrows in doubt which he found them too unbelievable and ridiculous on what she had said.

The memories of that great Civil War were still fresh on him, even the day when Tony Stark almost met death. Steve couldn't comprehend too much from her as he heavily sighed and frowned at her.

" You're angry with me? " she asked raising her voice.

" No, that's..." the SHIELD Director paused, thinking of his words. " That's not true. "

" What would you call it, then? "

" DISAPPOINTMENT..."

" Oh god, " she sighed and placed her arms on the railing bars. " Give me, angry. "

" Carol, look around you, " Steve seriously spoke while looking at the view of Capitol Hill. " You won. The President gave you a medal. People are cheering for you. "

" Yeah, down there. Not in here. "

She won, but deep inside she was hurting and failing from what she had done. Her boyfriend and few of her friends tried to redeem her a little bit despite of the tragic incident she had caused. Most of the heroes and SHIELD agents were angry towards her. Carol was really uncomfortable in meeting them again, however Steve was trying to understand her and find some ways to cope up.

" That's because our friends are still at each others throats, " he continued. " You've told them to stop fighting, but you haven't given them a reason to. Consider figuring out how to bring them back together again. "

" Steve, the Soft Sell. You know it's not my specialty. It's just not how I'm built. "

" For good leaders, there are always more concessions in victory than defeat, Carol. "

" They'll come around, " she frowned and crossed her arms. " Once they see how we get things done, once we start notching some big wins, this will all take care of itself. "

" It won't but while we're talking about the job."

" Uh-oh...Maria Hill. "

" I've already told you guys.I have no idea where she is! "

" You really expect me to believe that?! "

" It's the truth! " Steve angrily exclaimed.

" She showed up, gave me the plans for the defense shield, and ran-off. To be totally honest, I was really pretty relieved to see her go. "

" And yet, now you're going to make her mistakes, for her! " he sternly stressed his words.

Carol remained silent as she committed another terrible act according to Captain America. Strike two for Captain Marvel. What if her future son will find out the painful truth from his mother? He will even get frustrated and pissed off at her if he learns more and troubleshoots them thirty years from now. This time, she felt being cornered and nagged by her father-figure. She took a deep breath to calm herself before speaking and thinking not to cause anymore trouble again.

" The shield is a good idea, Steve, " Carol said.

" It really isn't, NOT EVEN YOURS! "

" Well, technically, Hill found it in the vault of a decommissioned version of your organization, so legally, it's kind of a gray area. "

" Cutting us off from the rest of the universe! Isolating us...That isn't a defense! It's a message, you know exactly what we'll be saying to every living thing on both sides of it! "

" Cap, I don't know if you noticed, but there's a war coming, " she explained. " The Chitauri fleet is gonna be in our solar system, soon. "

" And when they would come, we need to be ready for them. But we've faced these things before. "

" This isn't before though, is it? "

" No, we didn't give up the things. We believed in those times. "

" Thanks, I caught your speech, " she hissed and rolled her eyes. " I'm sorry it's been a long month. "

" No, it's fine. I don't mean to lecture. "

" Heh, liar..."

" It's just...this is exactly what you just did with Ulysses, " he sternly replied. " You think there's some amount of effectiveness that allows you to divorce a solution from the morality of it. It doesn't work that way, Carol. If something is wrong, it's wrong whether it succeeds or not! We can't just become slaves to ends and means. It still has to stand for something and it can't just be surviving! "

Carol couldn't utter another word as she again heard of those mistakes she had done. The monster inside her was haunting in her mind which Steve reminded her. Now, the defense system which she had planned for was another potential issue if it came to the worst case scenario. Possibly, she would be put into blame for a number of times.

" That shield will put a ceiling on the best dreams we've ever had. If you build, you will regret it for the rest of your life. But it's your call, I can't stop you. I know you're glad to finally steering the ship, Carol. I just wish you just watch where it's headed. "

" Wait, Steve..."

Steve immediately left her when Carol was about to catch him. Tears flowing from her eyes, she couldn't take the argument and those haunting flashbacks that mentally impaling her.

" Why did I return to life when everybody hates me? " she thought and wept. " I'm trying to redeem myself not just for anybody in this world, but for my future son! "

(SHIELD HELICARRIER ILIAD, 11:00 PM)

    Agent Chris Halsey assisted Director Steve Rogers from the hangar to Tony Stark's room. He left his blond superior and heavily sighed in looking at him and the unconscious one from a distance. The dark haired SHIELD agent walked along the hallway as he saw his fellow operative who has a green hair.

" Halsey! Hey! " he called the agent.

" Christopher, what are you doing in the middle of the night? " Halsey asked and scratched his head. " Aren't you supposed to get some slumber? "

" No, I'm used to it. By the way, I've been thinking for a month about the defense system which Miss Hill gave to Carol, " Christopher Knightfall said. " How exactly could it work? "

" It's some sort of a defense system, " Halsey explained. " I don't even know if it's going to happen. You know that Civil War problem had rattled us for a month. Paul has been visiting Mr. Stark ever since. Now, it's Cap. "

" I see, " his friend nodded.

" Any news about Barry Crawford or his men? "

Knightfall remained silent and kept composing his thoughts to recall those incidents with that murderous HYDRA Agent and his colleagues. Halsey kept waiting for an answer as he leaned on the wall and crossed his arms.

" Well, I have heard they got away to Sokovia few weeks ago. "

" Who told you that? "

" It's from a freelance mercenary named Allen Stroud, " the green-head agent answered. " Barry goes along with Pagan Min and Helmut Zemo. You know they're looking for new weapons and some recruits for HYDRA. "

" Man, that's really shady, " the dark-haired commented and raised his right hand in interjection. " Well, Fury and Hill fled away, do you even think we've got undercover HYDRA agents here? I'm hearing such rumors circulating here. "

" Yes, I think we have. They're really great in playing safe here, but eventually we'll catch them. Especially, Crawford who killed Carol, but now, he still wants to take down her life. He's going to try harder to end her. "

" I see, I see. " Halsey nodded. " We've just need to keep on guard with them. "

" Right, they can be anywhere and anytime spying on us. It's gonna be a difficult time, but we will take them down. "

Knightfall suspiciously glared at Steve from a distance as Halsey curiously looked at him.

" Christopher? Why are you looking at him like that? "

" You know I'm having a bad feeling about Director Rogers, " he said. " There's something else. It's not really the one whom we know. "

" What do you mean? "

" I'm afraid he might do something bad. "

(Ultimates/SHIELD Triskelion HQ, Washington DC, 3:00 AM)

    Carol spent hours working and being sleepless. She drank more cups of coffee as she spent reading the files which Maria Hill left her. She focused on finding such flaws and benefits of the Planetary defense system.

She stood up and saw a box near her desk which she never realized it was placed there all along. The blonde half-Kree woman carefully opened it. Taking off the masking tape, she widened her eyes to her surprise. Carol saw a broken Captain Marvel action figure doll splattered in red food coloring symbolizing as blood. She trembled in fear as she never wanted to see it.

Inside the box, there were letters written in red ink when she took one by one and began to read. She was weeping and shaking in fear. 

" DIE CAPTAIN MARVEL, DIE! "

" YOU DESERVE TO BE IN ASHES! "

" YOUR FUTURE IS DEATH BY YOUR OWN TOTAL BLOODSHED! "

Suddenly, she heard her phone ringing as she was afraid to answer. It must be her stalker who tried to bother her. She was stepping back from it, but she saw her boyfriend's name flashing on the screen and picked it up. 

" H-Hello? " she tearfully answered. " M-Methie.....I n-need you..."

" Carol, you don't sound so good. Is there something wrong? " a male voice replied.

" I-I couldn't get to sleep....all night. Steve and I had an argument earlier. Now, I'm having another death threat. Methie, I can't stay here any longer! Please just take me with you! "

" Carol..." Methu-Selah sadly sighed as he sensed his girlfriend's despair. " If only I could visit you again there. Well, I have more responsibilities at the university. Perhaps, I can visit you every weekend or so. Just hang in there. "

" I wished you were here! "

She was crying over the phone as the Kree Eternal wanted to hug her physically. Instead, he listened to her.

" It's okay to cry, my Starling, " he assured, comforting over the phone. " Please close your eyes and imagine me hugging you. "

Carol was in her silence while weeping. She followed his instructions and felt the warmth from her boyfriend's words. His voice was love to her ears. Moments later, the couple spent talking over the phone as Carol began to speak of her engagements and also started expressing her feelings. In her darkest times, Methu-Selah and Carol remained together despite of the hardships she had.

(Note: Some scenes in this chapter are based from Civil War II: The Oath by Nick Spencer as I put additional narratives and scene. This is the final chapter of Book 1. )

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.5K 126 23
After leaving Winter behind after finding out the truth, Blaire Carter tries to forget what happened to her, and everything she thought she knew. Two...
1.4K 27 20
Lexi Grace, Kree child, gets brought down to Earth by Carol Danvers. Her memories disappeared when she was brought to Xandar. Fury hides her so she c...
1.7K 12 25
Book 1:Your life was normal, when you were 10. But what happens when your dad doesn't know you exist, and you need his help. Your life can change i...
571K 12.8K 133
Chloe always knew that her mom was somewhere out there in the world. But being hydras experiment toy, she never actually thought that she would ever...