Across The Paper

Від HoppeWorld7

Yoohyeon discovers diaries written by a stranger called Bora and finds out about a certain love connection th... Більше

Part 1: Prologue
Part 2: Overalls
Part 3: Fireflies
Part 4: Bonbon Candies
Part 5: Prunus Festival
Part 7: The Echoing Bridge
Part 8: The Monument
Part 9: Since When
Part 10: Sunflower
Part 11: A Lover not a Fighter
Part 12: A Lover AND a Fighter
Part 13: Breaking Out
14: Towards the light that is you
Part 15: Shatter Me Completely
Part 16: A sky with no ceiling
Part 17: The Sinner and The Saint

Part 6: Calvados..?

2.1K 87 31
Від HoppeWorld7

It seems that a few of you guys got confused in the early chapters, so let me explain.

The text that is written sideways, like this, is Bora's diary(that Yoohyeon is reading) written in 1846, and it shows us Bora's POV of the story.

The normal text indicates today, 1858.

---

Everyone started to go home after it started to rain. It wasn't fun, really. I was disappointed to go and miss the fireworks. After all, that was the one thing that sounded fun in spending the whole day with Seonghwa.

Now, I don't say this because he's a bad guy. No, he's very nice, even. I would have just... liked to spend this festival with honesty and not pretending that I was trying to get close to him because of my father.

Oh, remembering about my father... I knew he wanted to tell some kind of speech in front of the villagers and I was sure he would be disappointed, too.

Well, it's not like he ever told me what the speech was about, though...

But jumping to the most important thing... Right when I was going back to my house along with Seonghwa, I suddenly remembered that one of my father's close friends (or colleague, I'm not really sure. It was always hard to differentiate those two words when it came to my father) has his own circus. He lives in town, not too far from this village.

He has business in Japan, too, I've been to his circus so many times when I was a kid.

And now, thinking about it... He always bragged about how his tents were waterproof.

I mean, bragging for businessmen was always no surprise, but his was particular.

He talked about it non-stop, knew no limit.

Ah, I went off-topic again. I really have to stop doing that, or else this diary will be done in only a week.

I have written about only two days so far, but with all the details and conversations, I already filled more than 20 pages!

Off-topic again...

Anyway, after getting home, I asked my dad if he could contact his brag-lover friend so he could give us that waterproof tent so maybe!! - we would take all the food and tables inside(it's a really huge tent) and the festival would continue there!

It was the first time he agreed to me without me begging for it for hours.

Well, of course, he had this very much important speech to make, too, so that might be another reason.

In an hour or so, my dad's workers were already trying to fix up that tent.

It was raining heavily, so they were all wet in the end, but I helped them lift it up(much to my dad's annoyance) so my clothes were also drenched!

Before I changed my clothes and got back to the centre along with Gahyeon holding up an umbrella for both of us, trying to keep up with my fast footsteps, villagers were already inside the tent, decorating the tables and bringing in the food.

I was proud of myself, to be all honest.

And the important thing was that the festival would continue!

"I heard this was your idea," I sensed Seonghwa from the back, so I stopped the talk I had going on with Gahyeon and turned around. The latter bowed her head down to him and walked away without saying anything.

I sighed "You could wait before I would finish the talk with Gahyeon."

He furrowed his eyebrows in concern, searching for Gahyeon with his eyes "I'm sorry, I thought she was your maid?"

I touched the inner side of my cheek with my tongue, letting out a scoff "And that makes you think that you can intervene in our conversation?"

He touched his neck, looking very much worried "Well I- I apologise, I didn't mean to offend you in any way."

I looked into his eyes and knew that he did not have any bad intentions. He was just raised this way, maids not being proper human beings to them.

I sighed out once again and nodded my head "Yes, this was my idea. Do you like it?" I asked as I took a look at the inside of the tent. People were chatting with each other, drinking alcohol, tasting food and fruit. Everything was back to its place.

Seonghwa nodded his head "Yes. It was a great idea. I was pretty sad that the festival would not continue, but you made it happen and made so many people happy. Including me." He said with a smile;

I just nodded my head along with a smile, looking around, trying to fix my gaze toward the wet umbrellas that were arranged in the corner of the tent.

I'm usually not this awkward, I swear. I just never really went along with boys, and their compliments always stayed dry and corny for me.

"Do you want to dance?" He asked out of a sudden, taking me aback. I glanced at his hand straightened in front of his chest, waiting for me to take it.

"I'm not sure," I said honestly, looking around a bit. Then I caught my dad's eyes. He was glancing at us from the corner of the room, looking at my every action. As I sigh, I glance back at Seonghwa once again, taking his hand. "Well, alright. I might warn you though that it's been a while since I last attended my dance lessons... so be careful of your feet."

Seonghwa chuckled at the remark, taking my hand rather softly and leading me to the dance area where a few more couple of people were already dancing.

We stood in our positions, his fingers tightening on my ribs. The slow music was growing on me and my body in an instant, the soulful sounds of violin roaring down my spine.

His left foot came forward out of a sudden without any warning, surprising me as I chase him back with mine. I looked up at his face which had an ironic smile before I scoffed.

He was challenging me, huh?

I slid my right foot forward, chasing his retreating leg with mine as I moved my left one in a smooth motion, sliding across the floor.

It is right that I haven't been to my dance lessons for a while now, but it's not like I totally forgot how to.

Seonghwa laughed quietly as we stopped, toe to toe, and he pulled my hips close to his, making me gasp out. "Are you challenging me right now?"

I smirked, lifting my eyebrows "You were the first one who started it, so don't play dumb now." I whispered and made a quick turn as I took his hands off of my waist, stepping back with a traditional classic arc and finishing our small dance with a glare. "And don't you even think you were the dominant one in this dance, Seonghwa."

I read out the shock that was placing itself on his face, walking away toward the tables to find a seat somewhere in the darkness. There I saw one particular person looking toward my direction throughout the whole dance. I strolled toward them with light steps, still arranged with the music, before I stopped in front of the table.

"I see you're having a good time, Miss Bora," Siyeon said while sipping on her wine, one side of her mouth going up in a smirk.

I looked down at the full glass that was placed on the table between us, taking it in my palm and drinking it in one go.

Siyeon looked at me with her eyes round, taking her shocked gaze from me to that glass before mumbling out "You know that was double Calvados, right...?"

What can I say?

I didn't even know what Calvados is.

Looking at it before drinking it, it wasn't looking too strong. But after I drank it straight in one gulp, then I felt like my throat was on fire and started coughing like crazy.

"O-Oh my god... Here, drink this." Siyeon handed me a bottle of water as she took me to the darker side of the tent, maybe thinking that it would embarrass me to be seen like that.

But in reality, everything I was thinking about at that second was that I would never drink Calvados ever again.

What even is Calvados, for god's sake...

"Are you okay, now?" She asked worriedly, taking a look at my face, which was most probably fully red by then.

I took a breath and nodded my head, "What in the hell was that." I pouted, not really liking what I drank.

Siyeon looked at me with the inner side of her eyebrows lifted up, before she cracked in laughter. "I see you are not that strong with alcohol, after all..."

I glanced up at her with a glare, as she laughed again, sitting down on the long chair standing up against the wall. I sighed as I took a seat beside her, finally being able to breathe again.

"I see you finished the work in the fields?" I asked without looking at her, glancing around to spot my parents but with failure. I guessed that they might have been talking with some guests in the corner of the room hidden from my eyesight.

"Well, you told me to meet you after I was done, so here I am." Siyeon answered, sipping on her red wine once again before taking her gaze toward me "Did you want to tell me something?"

I wrinkled my eyebrows, thinking about the question before giving out a shrug while taking a look at her. "Not really, I just wanted to spend time with you? Hm... To get to know you." I smiled after finding the proper words for it.

The blonde girl nodded her head, darting her eyes to the ground "Well... I guess you get to know every maid of yours beforehand?"

I could feel how my face grimaced at hearing that inquiry, taking a breath through my teeth and looking up at the ceiling of the tent.

I decided not to answer.

I heard her sigh beside me, playing with the hem of her fabric pants. "Forgive me, I didn't mean to say it like that."

I just hummed as a response.

"You see... I always witnessed how bad my father's master was to him; how mean, and unfair. So my affection toward them is pretty poor, but I can see that you, Miss Bora, are different from every one of them." She said with a tint of apology in her tone. "That's why my remark could be... A little harmful."

I stared at her and saw the frankness in her eyes. That honey-coloured gaze was full of honesty, and I could feel it only by the look she gave me by then.

There was this hidden understatement within her gaze that met mine. And that was the first time I felt understood. The first time I was looked at as a normal person and not someone ranked higher than anyone.

"Siyeon, it's alright. You didn't say anything wrong. Everyone naturally expects me to be arrogant, because that's what I have to be with my title, right?" I said with obvious mockery. "But no, it's not even about being kind. Everyone should have the ability to know that grand clothes mean nothing since it's the person inside the clothes that ought to be judged."

She gave out a nod, her golden threads of hair grazing her clothed shoulder. "I respect you and your opinion, Miss Bora."

I smiled, as we stayed quiet for a few more minutes, being busy looking at the villagers dancing and having fun.

"You mentioned your dad. Is he here right now?" I asked Siyeon to start the conversation.

"No, he's currently in the town nearby. He is usually selling his handmade jewellery there on weekdays, and it's hard for him to get back here when it's late at night, plus it's heavily raining right now." She explained, sulking her lips out a little. "After my mom passed away, he has been trying his best to make money by that, while I'm usually working in the fields, helping farmers and getting finances from that."

I nodded at her a little as a sign that I was being attentive "I'm sorry for your loss, Siyeon."

She smiled and shook her head "It's okay, you don't need to be sorry. Sometimes, I feel like even I'm not sorry about it. Don't get me wrong, it's just that... I was too young to even comprehend what happened, and it was already too late when I realized that my mother was no longer alive."

"How old were you when... that happened?" I could see that even if she was saying that it was okay, she was still hurt talking about it.

"I was 5... I don't remember her that clearly, but I will never be able to forget her smile." She talked with a sudden change of her tone. A sweet and nostalgic technique of the way she talked out those words. "Even my father told me that he fell in love with her because of her smile. Of course, there were many other reasons, too, but from the first time they met, it was my mother's smile that caught his attention."

I glimpsed at her and tried to imagine what her mom would look like. If Siyeon had her smile, if her mother also wrinkled up her nose while talking, or if her eyes were also disappearing into two crescent moons while smiling.

I wondered how that woman tended to smile to make a person completely fall in love with it.

"He actually was not going to stay here; He came here from Sweden just for a month for his survey, but then... My mom got pregnant. And since they both loved each other so much, my dad decided to stay and marry her."

I smiled while listening to her, loving how full of affection her eyes were while talking about her parents. "That's such a beautiful story, Siyeon."

She grinned, nodding her head before chuckling a little. "Milady, I'm sorry, I'm sure I talked more than necessary."

"Not at all! I am happy I was here to listen to you. I already know more about you even if it was just one story about your parents."

Siyeon gazed upon me, her lips curving into a smile. It looked as if she wanted to tell me more, let on about her life story as I listened more and more to her, but I saw in the look of her eyes that she chose not to. She just looked at the few people chatting in front of us and let out a sigh.

I, correspondingly, seized my gaze toward somewhere else, merely not being sure toward where, though.

That was the moment I noticed my father going up on that tiny stage, probably two or three stairs height.

He coughed and holding up the glass in the air, he received people's attention by clicking the fork against it a few times.

I stood up and looked at Siyeon, while she nodded her head, declaring that she understood that I had to leave and that she was better off staying there. So, I gave her a small smile and walked toward the stage, standing next to Seonghwa who looked down at me and chuckled a little, then turned her head toward my father once again.

I really wanted to know what was that important for him to say in front of everyone.

He took a look at the people willing to listen to him with a small smile, starting his speech. "I am very glad to be here with my family tonight. I want to thank all of you for your kind hosting, and I want to share my feelings and thoughts that I've been having for a while now." He said, looking at my mom for a brief second before continuing. I followed his gaze, noticing the discomfort in my mother's expression.

I frowned my brows, already feeling the questions appearing in my mind but decided to just listen to my dad and see what all of this was about.

"I was born and raised here, in this small village. I was only fourteen when my parents decided to go to Japan, and after that, it is my first time coming back. I am so honoured to be standing in front of you all," His words echoed through the whole room, the guests smiling at him as he resumed. "It's such a small village, yet the people here are so close to each other, it makes my heart warm to see all that. I'm also thankful for the kind way you people met me and my family, I haven't been here since I was a kid, but everyone treated me as if I was living here for my whole life..." He said and let his face down, letting out a breath "Now for the main reason I came here... This place is surely known for the cherry trees that are everywhere. And I'm actually very surprised at how you all don't use that as privilege."

I tilted my head, not liking where this was going.

"And because of that! I'm here, as a businessman, to suggest you all a good idea. I'm here to guide you all toward the better.

.

.

.

What if... Me and my partnerships built up a cherry factory here?"

I let out a shocked scoff, also hearing people's confusing sounds all over the area. I stared at Seonghwa's mom in the distance, having a satisfied smile on her coloured lips.

My dad put a smile on his face and continued talking "Of course, everyone will receive money for their territory and would receive finances for the distress. And, of course, a new house in the village next to this! Come on, people, we all know this village is not going anywhere but downfall, and my heart hurts watching that. This whole village is a size for one small station in a small city, and not more than 100 people are living here. Now, I'm saying all of this not because I seek for money, but because it pains me to think that my hometown is getting weaker... So, I'd like to buy the whole territory and pay you guys for--"

"What are you even saying!!" I demanded in a tone that managed to be both commanding and unsettled while also carrying what can only be called deep horror. I felt Seonghwa panicking beside me, putting his hand on my shoulder to keep me from shouting once again.

I glanced around the people with shock all over their faces, not understanding what was happening just as much as me. I then looked back at my father, who was giving me hints to shut up.

What was even going on in his mind?? He wants to buy this whole village and make it part of his business?? A cherry factory??? Is he even on his right mind?!?!

"You knew this all along, didn't you?" It was a second after I hear a familiar voice from my back that I turn around, meeting with her honey eyes now darkened in the shadow of her furrowing eyebrows as she looked at me with obvious hatred.

I was frozen to my spot; body and mind overtaken by horror-induced paralysis.

"N-No! Siyeon, I didn't have a clue!!" I yelled out desperately, everyone and everything going into chaos around me as I tried to focus only on one figure, which glared at me with a noticeable change on her face toward me.

Of course, who would believe a person saying that they didn't know anything about why they came here in the first place along with her family, didn't know what her father's plans were out of everyone.

And siyeon didn't believe me either.

She turned her back toward me and started slowly disappearing from my eyesight.

I called for her a few times, but she didn't turn around.

"Bora, wait! Where are you going??" I heard Seonghwa calling after me before I ran out of that tent right under the rain, feeling how my hair and skin was already getting wet.

But it's not like I cared. My mind was going to places at that moment, not making me think logically.

It wasn't like I would catch Siyeon when she ran away with a horse.

But I still ran after her. Screaming her name.

How would she feel?.. After telling me how she and her father lived, how this village was literally everything they had... My father comes out with a speech that he wants to ruin everything the people have built here. The beautiful scenery of the cherry trees, the beautiful river and that small lake under the mountain. A big old tree on that mountain holding such a big meaning to everyone. The fields, farms... It's right that the whole village is tiny, but it's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen in my life. The most beautiful place I've ever been and most probably I'll ever be even in the future.

In the end, I wasn't able to reach her, losing her in the darkness as the horse sounds also halted.

I went home walking. I was totally drenched when I arrived. Gahyeon, who had already came home, told me that I must have a terrible cold the next day.

But I just couldn't think about anything else other than what my father said.

That's why he wanted me to marry Seonghwa in the first place? That's what my dad's and Seonghwa's mother's plan was? Did Seonghwa also know about everything this??

I'm too annoyed right now. More than annoyed... Maybe disappointed too; in my father.

...did my mom also know this?

I'm not sure if I'll be able to sleep with all this new information tonight.

And most of all... I feel so bad for Siyeon.

I don't know why, but I feel like I betrayed her.

...Even though yesterday was the first time I met her.

---

Yoohyeon felt how her mouth was literally open when she finished reading. She's a fast reader, so she was done before Minji would even come back.

She wondered what would happen next, what would Bora do, and how she would convince her father not to build that cherry factory here.

Convince because... Looking around right now, Yoohyeon knew that it was still that village Bora was writing about, so her father must have not built up that factory back then.

She decided to put the diary in her backpack once again and continue reading once she was back home.

She was waiting for a few more minutes and Minji was back in no time. She was holding the flowers she gave Yoohyeon this morning, probably deciding to bring it back after taking the horses home.

They then went back to the festival hand-in-hand, deciding to walk around before the fireworks started.

"Is there anything wrong, Yoohyeon? You seem like you're somewhere else with mind." Minji stopped walking at some point, taking a worried look at Yoohyeon.

The mentioned one snapped out of her dreamland, turning to the older woman "I'm sorry, I was thinking back at the book I'm reading."

Minji just chuckled, continuing the road "I'd love to read that if it's that interesting."

Yoohyeon gave out a small smile not reaching her eyes "Yeah... It's really interesting."

They walked around the festival a bit more before the fireworks started, and Yoohyeon suggested that it would be good if they went up that small mountain and watch the fireworks from there, sitting under that tree.

And that is exactly what they did.

Minji was shocked to learn that Yoohyeon knew about this place, which was one of her favourites. Yoohyeon told her how she found this hill after their very first meeting, when she wandered around and came to this tree.

They sat there for a while, watching the colourful fireworks lighting up the sky and enjoying each other's company.

After that they had fun, walking around and eating sweets before midnight. Then Minji followed Yoohyeon to Siyeon's house, them stopping in front of the gate, right when they met each other in the morning.

"Thank you so much for this beautiful day, Minji. I enjoyed every part and second of it. Starting from riding the horses and dancing in front of you in the grass, finishing with seeing the fireworks and eating every kinds of sweets that we could find." Yoohyeon chuckled, making Minji do the same, too, as she played with the flower bouquet in her hands.

"I enjoyed it too, Yoohyeon. And this day made me realize that it would be lovely to spend another days with you again." Minji told with a sheepish grin on her face, making Yoohyeon giggle.

"Well, your wish will come true because I still have a whole month that I'm going to spend here."

"And some of those days with me, right?" Minji asked cheekily.

"If not all, then yes."

Both woman laughed.

"I better be going now before Miss Siyeon gets angry."

The black-haired woman nodded her head with a smile, the threads of her hair shining under the moonlight "Alright then, Yoohyeon. Have a good night and I hope I'll see you tomorrow, too."

"I hope, too, Minji." Said the brunette girl before opening the gate and walking in the garden.

"Oh, and don't forget to put those tulips in the water!!" Minji yelled from behind, followed by a light laugh from Yoohyeon.

"I'm going to do that first when I walk in the house!"

And like that, Yoohyeon entered Siyeon's mansion, while Minji started walking back to hers where her mother was waiting for her.

After walking in, Yoohyeon goes straight to her room(after putting the bouquet in the water, obviously), saying only goodnight to Siyeon as goes to bed to start reading the next day of Bora's diary, dying to know more. Though she didn't notice that Siyeon looked a bit gloomy and dark before she would do so.

To Be Continued

Hello, my dear readers. I apologize for the long delay of the new chapter. I just entered my last year of school and it's so messy, I have so much to study. I hope you enjoyed reading this chapter, though! I tried to put a lot of work into it whenever I had time.

If you have anything you want to see in the next chapters, be it minimalistic or something big, you can totally recommend it to me down in the comments or dm me!

That's it for today. Thank you all for reading and have a lovely weekend<3

P.S no fanarts for today:((

Продовжити читання

Вам також сподобається

537 36 2
Vying for the crown is their main goal. Chaos ensues when Minji and Yoohyeon both wanted to be a prom queen. Will one of them get the crown? OR Wil...
29.9K 1.4K 23
A story about two girls with completely different stories but with one wish - to be loved. What will happen when they'll meet? Will it be an easy lov...
58.9K 2.1K 27
"Who am I? Is this the world that I used to live in? Why all thing doesn't feel right?" This is fanfic about Mina that has lost her memories because...
7.6K 445 13
Siyeon Pov. I don't know what I was thinking. This was a complete stranger girl whom I had seen for the second hour in my life. What was wrong. And I...