The Ardent and The Bard

By smzipp

Ever wonder where your dreams go when you wake? Imagine if they drifted off, coalescing with the dreams of ot... More

Introduction
Chapter 1: Of Blade and Chain
Chapter 2: Feast and Friends
Chapter 3: Father and Son
Chapter 5: Among Gods and Immortals
Chapter 6: A Lake and Lovers
Chapter 7: Rage and Confusion
Chapter 8: Theory and Facts
Chapter 9: Unseelie and Unwise
Chapter 10: A Festival and a Fight
Chapter 11: Unknown and Unsuspecting
Chapter 12: Storm and Sonar
Chapter 13: Nightmares and Dark Thoughts
Chapter 14: The Creature and it's Domain
Chapter 15: Swig and Stealth
Chapter 16: Remembrance and Revelation
Chapter 17: The Master and His Realm
Chapter 18: Memories and Pain
Chapter 19: The Ardent and The Bard
Chapter 20: Rest and Resolution

Chapter 4: Dragons and Dreams

7 1 0
By smzipp

Minceraft got the fire going. He had promised Sierra he would after all.

"The Masks of Lucidity provide the wearer for complete control of their dreams. A paired set will allow two people to share one another's dream," he said.

"It will provide us an added level of stability in Aisling'Am" Cole sipped tea from a red cup.

"Normally the realm is a swirling mass directed by the subconscious thoughts of those in it. The masks will allow us to repress such thoughts and keep the realm within our control."

"Makes sense" Shade stared into the fire, "but why do you own them Minceraft?"
An awkward silence fell across the room. Shade detected discomfort and anxiety on the two souls before him.

"They were a gift from me" Cole finally spoke.

"That doesn't answer my question" Shade said.

"Sierra is mute" Minceraft said. He would not look at the scarecrow. "She is also less than a foot tall. We are...incompatible for many things that come naturally for other pairings."

Shade suddenly got the gist of what he was saying "Oh...I see..."

Minceraft cleared his throat. "You are free to take the masks. Sierra and I can live without them."

He turned away from the fire, "She'll be put out about it. I'm certain it will all be for show. She likely won't have the energy to get too worked up about it."

"I'll return the masks when we're done. Shouldn't be more than a few days. Time moves slowest in Aisling'Am" Cole said, standing up.

"Thank you" Minceraft said, his eyes finally making contact with his father's "Will you stay for dinner?"

Cole regarded his son. "Why not? It has been a while since we last talked. Do you mind Shade?"

"I don't eat" Shade said with a small shrug "don't sleep either, so I could care less."

Minceraft nodded "I'll break out the good wine then."

Within the hour Sierra had arrived home. Her shock at the unexpected guests mixed with the news about the masks created a small fit of spite, but as Minceraft predicted she calmed down as the temperature dropped. Shade took it as her merely keeping up appearances. Minceraft toiled away in the kitchen adjacent to the sitting room. Sierra flitted back and forth between checking on him and keeping an eye on the guests. Shade and Cole took their seats at Minceraft's small dinner table. Cole reached into his pack and produced an emerald green tome.

"Our objective for tomorrow is reaching the lake of dreams," he said as he thumbed through the book.

"It's in the Feywild and is the only stable portal to Aisling'Am. A gate spell can get you there instantly, but due to the nature of the realm you will have no clue where you'll be. The lake offers the ability to enter the realm more securely. Think of the difference between stepping onto a new island from the boat, and dropping onto a random spot from an airship."

He found the page he was looking for and showed it to Shade. It was an illustration of a glittering lake set in a forest of pine trees. In the background a massive dragon slept by the lake.

"The lake is guarded by the dragon Razcoreth. He's an emerald dragon, and the only dragon archfey. He serves the Gloaming Court1. So we'll need to bargain with him, or his master, the Prince of Hearts."

Sierra huffed at the prince's name.

"Not a fan?" Cole looked to her with a knowing smile.

Sierra folded her arms and shook her head. Her face reflected disgust.

"I can understand that."

"Will we need to fight the dragon?" Shade asked. He had tangled with both Archfey and dragons before, both were grueling battles. Having an enemy that was both sounded troublesome.

"It's possible. Even with the Prince's approval we'd need to coax the dragon to let us in. Luckily, my silver tongue has not failed me yet."

Minceraft emerged from the kitchen. He held a large brass pot that was emanating steam and sweet smells. He set it on the table with a ladle.

"Its stew made with remorhaz meat. Lock's brother directed me to a market stall by the wharf that sells juveniles. Apparently it is a popular choice at his bar," he filled a tiny bowl for Sierra first.

Sierra took the bowl and sat at a smaller table set onto the dining table. It was originally part of a play-set for dolls. A well-crafted set to be sure. Minceraft spared no expense when it came to making sure Sierra felt at home.

Minceraft and Cole soon filled their own bowls. Shade read more on the lake of dreams. Its counterpoint in the mortal plane was what was once known as the Lake of Souls, one of a few spots where souls of the dead passed over to the Shadowfell. Shade was not certain how he would operate in the realm of dreams. He did not dream. He physically could not. Even if he wanted to. He had imagination, certainly. But that was an active part of his mind. To close your eyes and let your subliminal thoughts control what you see...it was such a foreign concept to him.

"....And when the dust finally settled we saw that the cannon ball had actually wedged itself between Nosib's horns. Without missing a beat he stared down the dwarf and said 'I believe you've misplaced this.'" Cole was recounting an incident from their time in Mourning.

"I would like to meet Nosib someday. I only ever met Vedek" Minceraft said as he poured himself another glass of wine.

"And Azeroth"

"I try to forget about 'Uncle Azeroth's' training exercises" Minceraft said grimacing at the memory.

"Yes. I still remember the sight of him dropping you off that balcony."

Sierra shot Minceraft a bewildered look.

"I was sixteen. We were on a mountain. Cole saved me with a spell before I reached the ground. According to Azeroth it was a lesson in how I should have faith in others" Minceraft explained with a quick glance to his father.

"I'm going to level with you son. I'm fairly certain that Azeroth was just covering his ass with that answer. Knowing him, he was genuinely curious about what would happen if he threw my son off a very high place."

The whole table laughed at this, save for the still shocked Sierra.

As the moon rose high in the sky, the fireplace's embers began to dim. Sierra flew off to the bedroom. Cole and Shade were preparing to leave.

"It was nice seeing you again" Minceraft said to the two of them.

He had the masks in hand. To Shade they resembled small white towels. They weren't wet, but they glistened in the moonlight. Cole took the masks and carefully stowed them in his traveling bag.

"Don't say goodbye just yet. Like I said I'll probably be back in a week or so to return the Masks" Cole said as he secured his cloak. "Does Sierra ever wish to visit the Summer Court again? I have clout with Queen Tiandra. If you wished to take a few days off, we could meet again when Shade and I are-"

Minceraft held up a hand.

"Sierra has her reasons for leaving the Feywild. I have brought up the idea before and have received cold glares as an answer."

"Still" He said with a glance at the door to his bedroom "As a guest of the queen...I'll see what she thinks."

Cole nodded. He turned to his traveling companion.

"Ready to head out? We'll get a quick rest at the Hall of Champions. At first light we warp to the Gloaming court."

"You'll get a quick rest" Shade corrected him.

"Ah, yes" Cole said as he opened the portal "Still not used to that"

Shade stepped through the portal.

"You take care son" Cole said to Minceraft "really think about my offer."

Minceraft gave a slight smile, the only kind of smile he gave, "It's honestly not mine to think about."

The two men locked eyes once more. If Shade were there he would feel the anxious tension.

"Take care, father." Minceraft finally said.

With a nod Cole passed through the portal. Leaving Minceraft alone in the moonlight.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

325K 9.5K 37
"I know what it's like to be used! ...and so do you. Stay with me, please." A story in which the reader becomes a Technoblade apologist. ===== Cover...
282 31 29
Plunged into an unknown dimension without memory or explanation, a young man struggles to make sense of his surroundings. As he grapples with his pre...
35.3K 1.6K 70
Imagine awakening with amnesia. Most would lose their mind and our Main Character is no different. Though he handles it better than most, his curiosi...
493K 15K 47
Major TW: graphic descriptions of rape George is living a good life with his boyfriend, Cole. Well... maybe "good" isn't the right word... Let me try...