Anthology for weekendwritein

By Aliens8407

500 word shorts from prompts, weekendwritein More

Trip to Paris
Suicide Note
Disclosure
Killer Read
Tomorrow
Unidentified Man
Opportunity
Funeral
Campfire Tales
Challenge
Wizards
Late as Always
The Chase
The Fishing Trip
Baking with a Child
Caesar's Arena
Heart of the Dragon Pt 1
Heart of the Dragon Pt 2
Old Farmhouse A
Afterlife
As the Sun Grows: The Escape
As the Sun Grows: Darkness Creeps In
As the Sun Grows: Fear & Decisions
Surprises
Food Carousel

Stairs

12 2 5
By Aliens8407

A sense of trouble washed over me as I entered this random forest valley. I froze and stared at the trees across a small clearing knowing there was something off about them. Bears and cougars were common in these parts but I hadn't seen a sign from them all day.

Slowly I crouched down and peeled my eyes away from the trees to scan the rest of my surroundings. The large creek I had been hiking along went through the clearing and disappeared into the woods again heading up into the mountains. Everything looked normal but something was wrong about this valley and I couldn't put a finger on it.

It took a few moments of looking everything over to realize it didn't sound normal. I hadn't seen or heard any birds or animals rustling around. Everything was dead quiet in this valley.

A branch snapped somewhere behind me and I whirled around to see whatever danger was there. With my heart pounding I located the source of the noise. A man wearing a hat and trench coat stood on the other side of the creek some fifty yards away.

I let out a sigh of relief that it wasn't a predator of any large size. As I caught my breath and tried calming my heart down I watched the man stand there silently looking at me.

"Hello!" I yelled towards the stranger and listened to it echo along the valley walls.

When the echo faded silence filled the valley again. I watched him stand there looking at me wondering what this guy's problem was. I blinked and suddenly the man was standing in front of me only and inch between us.

He had no face.

"Holy Shit!" I screamed as I jumped backwards tripping and stumbling trying to get distance between us. I tripped over a log and hit the ground hard feeling pain shoot up from my ankle. "I hope it isn't broken," I thought.

Looking up I the saw man staring at me from where I once stood. Where the man's face should be I could only see a smooth ebony surface.

I crawled backwards in a panic to put distance between us until my hand touched something solid and rounded. I glanced back to see my hand resting on a concrete set of stairs that lead nowhere.

I've heard horror stories about stairs in the woods and people disappearing but this was the first set I had ever come across. Panic turned to terror as I looked back at the man just in time to watch his whole image dissolve into a smaller hideous human-like creature with ebony skin, long scrawny arms and legs, and talons instead of fingers.

The creature let out a blood curdling scream with a jaw that opened unnaturally wide just before launching itself at me, talons leading the way.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

979K 38.9K 50
𝐀𝐫𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐛𝐨𝐝𝐲 𝐖𝐡𝐨 𝐬𝐞𝐞𝐬 𝐚 𝐰𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐛𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐤𝐬 𝐢𝐭? 𝐀𝐫𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐲 𝐭𝐨 𝐟𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐭𝐨...
330 25 21
.
674 143 26
Another volume of tales from the Weekend Write-In.