Restricted Magic - Arc 3

By Avaleon

The third and final arc of the Restricted Magic series. Erin and Gerald face old enemies and new challenges... More

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 8

Part 7

751 86 28
By Avaleon

Gerald held his breath as Olivia and Erin walked out to meet him.

Wow.

He had always thought Erin was beautiful, her dark hair and eyes shining with an energy, a strength he could never truly understand. Her every move was graceful, a product of years of practicing fighting. She possessed refined coordination, a fine-tuned control of her body that was beyond most others. He stared at her sometimes during class, hoping to see a hint of a smile that lit up the room, causing his heart to race. What's more, with his Insight ability he could feel her magical strength like a warm light surrounding her.

Just the day to day of being around her still drove him to distraction.

But now...

She was a little uncomfortable, he could tell despite her controlled expression. The slightest furrowing of her forehead, her hands clutching the skirt of her dark red gown just a little too tightly gave it away. But his breath caught in his chest at the sight of her, and he found he couldn't let it out.

She was always beautiful to him, but right now...she shined like the sun.

Erin glared at his silence.

"What?"

He smiled at her harsh tone. "You look amazing."

She relaxed a tiny amount. "Really? I feel ridiculous."

"If that's the case you can wear whatever you want." Gerald shrugged, "I'll go to this dance with you wearing our sparring clothes if you like."

She raised an eyebrow. "You don't mean that?"

"I do." He grinned, grabbing one of her hands in his own. "Not that you don't look so beautiful that I my brain has stopped functioning fully, but this is our romantic date. I want you to be comfortable and happy."

A bright smile formed across her face. "Thanks."

"No problem. You want to change before we go?"

"I would, but unfortunately, that's not an option."

Gerald frowned. "Why not?"

He felt a tap on his shoulder, his face turning pale as he met Olivia's angry expression.

"Do you have any idea how hard I worked on that dress?" She whispered. Gerald felt the hairs on the back of his neck stand up.

"You love the dress, right Erin?"

Erin nodded fervently. "Yes! I love it so much! I'm just not used to looking to great, but of course I would never change out of it."

"..." Olivia stared at them both, Gerald broke out in a cold sweat.

"Okay."

The pair sighed with relief.

Arriving at the ball with the group, Gerald was impressed.

"Wow, they really go all out on these events, huh?"

The room was extravagantly decorated, with elegant magical lights suspended in the air. Musicians hidden behind an illusion spell played soft music in the background, a few couples danced in the center of the room. Tables of every type of imaginable food stood off to the side. Everywhere they looked people were talking, laughing, dancing, all dressed in their finest.

"Yeah, Wilhemina went all out and above budget." Frederick grumbled, tugging at the collar of his formal suit.

Olivia poked him in the side. "You're just mad that the council voted down your idea for the formal."

"It would have been so much fun!"

"Survival-style group battle with food as the grand prize?" Erin raised an eyebrow.

"At least it wouldn't be boring."

"...true."

They moved forward, Olivia, Frederick and Matthias quickly heading for the tables with food on it. Erin started to follow them, but halted as Gerald stood in front of her and formally bowed.

"Please marry me."

Erin laughed. "We're already engaged."

"Oh, right. Sorry." He grinned. "Force of habit. May I have this dance?"

She placed her hand in his, unable to hold back a happy smile. "I'd love to."

Frederick watched with Matthias and Olivia as their friends danced in the center of the room. He felt a small sense of relief as Erin and Gerald moved, seeing only each other. They were smiling brightly, a sight that was fairly rare with everything that had happened recently.

"Those two are so romantic! I hope this night goes well for them. " Olivia sighed.

Shaking his head, Frederick turned to the table and grabbed a glass of punch. "Great, you jinxed it. Now something terrible is going to happen for sure."

"Pessimist."

"I prefer 'negatively oriented realist'."

"You are so..." Olivia's words were interrupted by Matthias, who after being silent the entire evening finally spoke up.

"Who are the two standing beside that girl who hates Erin?"

Olivia paused, turning her head to look in the direction he pointed. "Who, Wilhemina? She's just a bully. I don't recognize those two boys though."

Frederick looked as well, concerned. Matthias didn't typically speak without reason. Two young men, well dressed, wealthy appearing, stood to either side of the blond girl. They were chatting idly, bored frowns on their faces. Frederick shook his head, he didn't recognize them either. "Is there something wrong with them?"

"They're watching Erin too closely."

He didn't hesitate. "Let's move closer than."

The group walked slowly around the room, coming close enough to hear the loud conversation between Wilhemina and her two guests.

"...honored to have two young nobleman from the House of Klien to join us for the yearly formal! I'm just so sorry about the type of trash they let into the party." She sighed, pointedly looking over at the area where Erin and Gerald were dancing. "They just let anyone in these days."

One of the boys stared at Erin, his eyes narrowing.

"Isn't that General Roderick's daughter?"

The other boy scoffed. "Heard she was a useless cast off."

"One of the worst in our school." Wilhemina confirmed with a smirk.

The first paused at that. "That wasn't what I heard. I thought she was part of the winning team at the international competition. She took first place in the individual fighting category. Can't be that weak."

"Well, umm..." Wilhemina looked uncomfortable. "By 'worst' I don't mean strength. Of course she can fight, like the brutish low-brow person she is. We call her that because she's cheating on her fiancé."

That got their attention. "Really now?"

"Yeah!" Wilhemina pointed to the corner of the room, where Christopher stood, surrounded by a group of people. "Her fiancé is an ambassador from Merion, but she ignores that and flaunts her relationship with another boy publically."

"Wow, how unexpected." The way the two boys were looking at Erin changed, making Frederick's skin crawl. He and Olivia exchanged concerned glances, moving closer.

"Who knew the daughter of the great general would be so easy?"

"Maybe we should try our luck next?" The boy shrugged. "She's not terrible looking."

"She's not worth your time!" Wilhemina looked slightly regretful now that they were moving towards the dancing couple. They shook off her attempts to restrain them, and walked onto the dance floor.

Olivia grabbed Fredericks' arm. "You have to stop them! They'll get into a fight with Erin!"

Frederick shot her a look. "It's probably a little late for that. They were talking so loudly about her the whole room could hear their insults." He glared at the offending party. "You shouldn't be so worried. If they are dumb enough to provoke her, Erin will wipe the floor with them."

"Of course she will. I don't care about that! But if she fights, she'll get their gross blood on her new dress! " Olivia cried out.

"Oh. THAT is definitely possible." Frederick then looked around, confused. "Where's Matthias?"

Gerald shook his head slowly as the dance with Erin came to an end.

"Want me to take care of them?"

They had heard the group talking, heard the insults the pair had spat out towards her. Gerald felt a rage building up in his chest. A desire to tear them to pieces.

Erin chuckled. "No need. If they come bother us, I can take care of them."

"I don't doubt that." His hand squeezed hers tightly. "But I am really angry right now and have a desire to be helpful. If they bother us, I'd like to be the one to stomp their heads in."

Studying him closely, Erin finally nodded in agreement "Fine. Just don't kill them."

Gerald's smile turned vicious. "Thanks for the reminder."

"Hey buddy." A hand dropped onto his shoulder. "Can we have a turn with her?"

Gerald turned slowly to look at the young nobleman who was eyeing Erin up and down suggestively. Erin rolled her eyes, mouthing the words. "Don't kill them" as she stepped back. Gerald smiled pleasantly at the two intruders, the expression odd as his eyes were cold and angry.

"I would advice you to turn around and walk away."

The one who had spoken before widened his eyes at these words, shocked.

"You don't know who I am?"

"Doesn't matter."

"DOESN'T MATTER?" He scoffed. "I am Lieutenant Greillan, second son to the Noble House of Klein. I was trained by General Roderick himself. I kill weaklings like you every morning."

He studied Gerald's expression, seeming confused when he didn't react. Finally, after a long silence, Gerald spoke quietly.

"General Roderick trained you?"

Greillan smiled, "Yeah, so only a fool would challenge me."

BAM!

Gerald's fist struck the young man's face, knocking him back a few steps.

"Good." Gerald loosened his collar, looking pleased. "That should make this fight a little more entertaining."

The nobleman clutched his face, "YOU STRUCK ME."

"Yes."

"YOU DARE?"

"Obviously."

"GUARDS!" He called out in a loud voice. "ARREST HIM!"

"..." There was a long pause as no one stood out. From the corner of his eye he saw Matthias tying up an unconscious personal guard wearing the colors of the House of Klein. Seeing Gerald looking his way, he gave him a thumbs up without changing his expression. Gerald returned the gesture, stepping away from his opponent.

"Let's fight."

Greillan frowned. "Why would we fight over a trash woman like her."

Gerald heard a ringing in his ears. He didn't remember striking the man again, but saw him reel back, clutching his face, his lip cut and bleeding.

"The only trash here is you." His smile widened, as the other man paled with anger.

"Fine." He spat out. "Don't regret it. This is the power of the nobility." He took a stance, a burning flame forming around his hand.

Gerald let out a quiet sigh, ignoring his surroundings, focusing his power, his insight only on his opponent. Everything came into focus.

Level 3 fire. Level 2 water.Level 3 earth.

Information about his opponent's powers flooded his mind. As he continued to hold his magic on his, more than just the basics, crossed over.

/Activation time 4.3 seconds. Frequently uses fire. Weak at water magic.

He was activating a spell that would send a single ball of fire at him. Gerald's ability judged the exact amount of power being used in the spell, and nullified it with a water spell of the exact same level.

HISS.

Steam rose up from the surprised nobleman's hand as his fire spell fizzled out. Confused, he tried the same spell again.

Gerald waved a hand casually.

It was nullified.

"What are you...?!" Greillan bit his lip, and leapt closer, causing the floor underneath Gerald's feet to shift with earth magic.

"Weak." Gerald stilled the movement with a thought, the ground below his opponent's feet reaching up and snagging his legs, stopping him mid-air.

Desperate, Greillan shot out water and fire magic and random, over and over until he had to stop from exhaustion. He panted heavily, staring in disbelief at the calm Gerald who hadn't taken a single step forward.

Fire magic had been nullified with similarly powered water magic. Water magic had been overpowered with the exact same spell shot back. Gerald could use the exact same amount of magic as the nobleman, but his control was finer, his spells more effective. Each use of magic blew up in the Greillan's face, until he couldn't move from exhaustion and pain.

"..." Greillan gritted his teeth, ready to surrender despite his pride.

But Gerald didn't give him the chance.

"My turn."

With a slight smile, he moved forward, walking slowly, knowing his opponent couldn't run away. He patted the man's cheek, and then reared back, punching him in the face.

BAM!

"That's for spreading rumors about my fiancé."

The man's head snapped back, but Gerald's earth magic kept him from falling.

BAM!

"That's for calling her trash."

Greillan tried to hold up his hands to surrender, but Gerald ignored it.

BAM!

"And that's for interrupting the date I've looked forward to."

The room was silent.

He hadn't shouted. Hadn't lost his temper. But everyone stepped further back with fear anyways.

With a wave of his hand, he cancelled his earth magic, letting the unconscious nobleman fall to the ground. He then turned to the other nobleman at his side.

"Would you like to be next?"

"..." The man's face was pale. Gerald smiled gently, his eyes still cold.

"That reminds me, I haven't introduced myself." He bowed mockingly.

"Prince Geraldo de Riciancia of the Ellurine Alliance."

The other nobleman's eyes were wide with fear as he glanced between Gerald and his unconscious friend on the floor.

"Did you have anything to say about my fiancé, Erin?" Gerald probed.

"AHH!" The man screamed, turned around and ran away.

Gerald turned towards Erin and bowed before her again. "I'm sorry for the interruption."

Erin shook her head, a helpless smile on her face. "Couldn't be helped."

"May I have the next dance?"

"Sure."

They started dancing, the music from the hidden musicians resuming once more.

"Are you okay?" Erin asked, a hand brushing his face. Gerald closed his eyes, trying to swallow down the rage the had built up within him.

"I will be."

"They aren't worth it."

"No. But you are."

The couple danced on, enjoying the night as if they had never been interrupted.

"Interesting."

Christopher stood in the shadows, having escaped his crowd of admirers, and watched as the two brash, slightly intoxicated young noblemen approached the dancing couple. He leaned against a pillar, studying closely as the troublemaker was beaten into the ground. Throughout the fight his face remained expressionless, although the slightest hint of a grimace of sympathy appeared at the moment when the man's face was struck with a fist. He remembered all too well how much pain that fist could inflict.

With one assailant down, the second ran away from the couple, who ignored his fleeing.

Well this won't do.

With a quiet sigh, Christopher reached out and gently grasped the man's neck as he ran by. At the moment his fingers made contact, the man dropped to the ground like a puppet with its strings cut. Christopher rolled him onto his back, smiling at the startled young nobleman.

"You and your brother made some poor choices tonight."

The man whimpered with fear, and seemed to reach out as if trying to attack. Christopher simply watched, waiting until the horror completely dawned on the young man's face. Raising a finger, a ball of revolving wind magic appeared, and then flattened itself into a blade.

"Perhaps you were trying to do this?" He chuckled, holding the magic blade right at the man's neck.

"Forget what happened tonight." Christopher whispered. "I'll send your brother home safely, but if anyone asks, you two got drunk and fought at a bar. No one mentions this school, or that woman to anyone."

"..." The young nobleman seemed too terrified to answer.

"You have meddled in things far beyond your limited understanding." Christopher canceled the wind magic, suppressing the urge to shudder at the crawling sensation of the power draining from hands.

"I need her to save the world, so if you get in my way, I'm afraid I'll have to kill you." His face was serious, leaving no doubt that he was telling the truth. "Understood?"

After a long hesitation, the young man nodded his head slowly.

"Then go." Christopher sent him out, watching as his limping form exited the building. He then shrugged, speaking the shadows nearby.

"Having fun watching?"

"..." There was no answer.

"Not much of a talker are you?" Christopher shook his head. "Can we at least call a truce during the trip to Merion? As much as I enjoy the thrill of evading constant assassination attempts, I deserve a break every once and a while."

"..."

Frustrated, Christopher tried a new tactic. "What if I promise not to hurt her?"

"What do you want?" Matthias stepped out of the shadows, his face carefully blank.

"To save the world." Christopher tried to smile, but it came out as more of a grimace. "Is that such a bad thing?"

Matthias frowned. "Saving the world doesn't mean she won't get hurt."

"If I don't succeed everyone gets hurt."

"If you sacrifice her to do it, then everyone should."

"..." Christopher was shocked. "So you're a psychopath, huh?" He sighed. "Should have guessed, since you've been trying to kill me for just being engaged to her."

"That's not why. Or I would have killed Gerald too."

His brows knitted. "Then why?"

"Because when you look at her you see a tool, not a person."

Christopher was impressed at the young man's clear perception."Wow you much watch her a lot. Does Erin know you're a paranoid stalker?"

Matthias shrugged. "Yes."

"Well you're coming along to Merion anyways. If I hurt her, you can kill me." Christopher suggested this nonchalantly, as if his death meant little to him.

"No. If you even think of trying to hurt her, I'll kill you." Matthias stepped closer, his voice pitched at a whisper. "If you hurt her...I won't just kill you. I'll kill everyone, and everything you care about."

"You nutjob..."

"Even if that's this world you so desperately want to save."

With that, he was gone.

Christopher stared after him, his fists clenched tightly.

What have I gotten myself into?

There was less than a week left before they would leave for Merion.

I cannot fail.

He thought of Matthias' words, and shuddered.

Even if they all have to die.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2K 51 34
Rebecca had defended her life with deadly force. Accused of two murders and now on the run with an infamous smuggler and a child witch, She cannot re...
269 30 16
Third book! It's been a year since everything happened. It's a new year, and Sophia ready to live it. Her and Anya have discovered many things with...
9.4K 237 17
In the third instalment of this series, the Cimorelli witches are faced with an unexpected foe. They must fight their own kind to survive and keep th...