City of Levels

By TheMasterpieceDP

The Great War in the year 2030 caused everything to fall apart, but humans were able to survive. The rising o... More

Author's Note
Prologue
1: A Bad Morning
2: The Psychic
4: The Threat
5: The Culprit

3: The Way Home

17 1 0
By TheMasterpieceDP

The lady went out, leaving me alone at last. I let out a big sigh, that relaxed my fist that was hurting my palm. Well, my nails are sharp and long. Then I looked at the people outside. They were still screaming and chattering, their words jumbling in the air just making a loud disturbing noise. I suddenly got annoyed for the view was exhausting me, I rolled my eyes as I looked away and I wondered into silence. The lady's voice suddenly echoed in my ears while the psychic's pale white face suddenly appeared in my mind, I was daydreaming about him. It was weird. The face who saved me that I will never forget was the cause of this awful morning. Realizing this, I chuckled out of nowhere, making me look crazy. For me, I still can't even believe that happened. Ugh, I want to go home now.

~~~

I slightly stood up, my head almost hitting the roof from where the seat was pinned beside the ambulance. I jumped out and immediately hid at the side and peeked my eyes near the side mirror, playing hide and seek on my own. My only problem of getting out from their sight was the line and the road barriers put across the highway, blocking every people to pass. The police were there too, trying to calm, explain and push the people from passing through. I curled my lip into disdain and frowned, looking so problematic and gloomy at the same time.

Why am I doing this anyway?

I tried to figure a way out as I peeked, then I was astounded when my mind suddenly pointed me somewhere like an arrow in a game appeared my sight. At the very edge of the blockage beside a small building, few people mustered each other and gave me an exciting chance to get through. Yet, I hesitated and got confused for people didn't think about going to the sides where chances of getting through was big. So, I shrugged my own thoughts. Then, I tried turning my head but I couldn't move it on my own like I suddenly have paralysis. But there I realize, my mind was not with me, like it was acting on its own. I got confused again. This is not the way I think. If it was me, I would stay and rest, telling bunch of stories to the police and maybe helping out, but instead, I was uncooperative and arrogant to them. And right now, I am urging to go home. But why do I really want to go home when the intersection was blocked and the shortcut was unsafe? This is an unusual thing to do. This is not me. As I realized my actions, I decided to go out from my hiding, revealing myself to no one. I walked towards the police who was the one who talked to me a while ago, but my legs suddenly felt gravity and stopped. My heart started to throb nervously. I was panting heavily. Instead, I walked towards the way my mind was pointing to, but I fought myself, and instantly felt tired and heavy. My eyes suddenly sweat, blurring my sight while my head cannot turn to where I want to go. I was sweating bullets as I clenched my teeth and fought myself. I reached out my hand, but I pulled it back involuntarily.

I want to talk to the police!

"H-Help," a fading voice escaped my breath, my own throat was also holding me back.

I didn't understand what was happening to my body. I couldn't control myself and couldn't move on my own. I could no longer command my body. All I have now is my thoughts, lingering inside me. I was frightened. Until, I got weak from fear. It was instantly tiring. Fighting the pull of gravity was drooping my energy. Then my feet shoved on its own, I was ready to give up my body. Until... I let go.... My eyes felt heavy.

I finally fell into darkness.

•°•°•

I woke up and realized the large crowd was gone. How did I escape that? I don't even remember at all. I got frightened yet I gained a sudden confidence for I realized someone just manipulated my mind. Only a psychic can do that to me. I wonder who it was until a hint had made me realize...

It was Neon...

I squeezed my hands into an angry fist as I realized it was all because of him. My straight upward body hardened from anger as I recalled what happened to me. My eyes glared on the peaceful blue sky, my brows met each other, my face all wrinkled in disarray and my hair blew when a refreshing wind thrust in front of me. While acting like a dragon, I looked around and observed to know where I was.

I was already far away from the main plaza.

My anger all faded when I realized the usual view of the city, where different kind of stores and restaurants lined up so colorful along both sides of the eight-laned highway. Lamp posts stood beautifully along the sides, lining up on the sidewalk, it has a CCTV attached. All buildings has the same height and structure, a long line of glass windows with different posters of their names on it, and all were eye-catching, aiming for the people to come in. Meanwhile, cars are still stuck in the heavy traffic, their horns roaring each other loudly. Scrolling my eyes along, a familiar family restaurant suddenly caught my attention and it was the usual orange and red-themed fast food chain that was a small branch in the plaza. Since it's my favorite, I didn't hesitate to jaywalk across the road since no car was moving. But suddenly, a black two-seat car horned and startled me then I stumbled. I slapped the hood of the car who honked too loudly against me. Admittedly, I got jealous of the car. It was handsome for it was the latest model of the famous brand. This person means he's rich and why is he here in Level C City?

"Shut it! This traffic is never gonna move, dumbass!" I shouted as my eyes gave a harsh glare to let out a scary warning look to the driver.

I shifted my sight and walked away from the car, relaxing my eyes. Though, I was still angry by what happened to me. I went into the fast food restaurant, accidentally opening the door too grand that caught the attention of every people inside it. I was embarrassed, so I covered my face with my palm, not sticking it too much on my face. For a moment, I devoured myself into embarrassment. I wanted to dig a hole and bury myself in it.

"Damn it." I shrugged.

I went to the cashier and immediately ordered their famous regular fries. My mouth cheered as the cashier personnel immediately assembled my order in front of me. When she was done, a tray of fries and soda float melted my eyes into excitement. I was that hungry. Then the cashier personnel took my student I.D number to pay for my meal. Well, the school gives us allowance every month. I think that's the only thing good in our school.

After that, I immediately took my order from the tray, ignoring all the people who was still looking at me and walked away happily.

~♧~

The shortcut to my village was not too far from where I am. This was still the highway going to the main plaza. The highway is called "Zhao Plaza Main Road" and my village near the main plaza is called "Macau Highlands" that actually sounds like a subdivision in Level A City, the richest of all the three city of levels.

Level C is full of districts, and according to history, these districts were called "countries" before, and all of them were run by a president. Now, all of the countries, that are now districts, are ran single-handedly by a mayor because the great war caused the former governments fell. Well, they caused the war. I actually hate history because the main cause of the war is full of conspiring theories. Sometimes, I also like to make silly theories about it. But right now, I don't really care about it too much for school was a burden. Many problems already linger my life and it would be troublesome to add another problem. So I'm fine not knowing the truth as long as it's peaceful.

But the psychics, they are the big trouble in the society when they appeared. I know they built these walls and provided a protection from the radiation, but people think they are unruly. Well just like now, a psychic caused a chaotic morning against normal people. In my opinion, they are quite abusive because they all have the capabilities to destroy Earth and they also have the power to power everything. Then we pay them because they are miracle workers, and since when did miracle became a profit? Sometimes I like to think and realize that the world is full of questions and it is tiring. I hate the society and I wonder what it was like before the great war. Even my life is ruined by this freaking society. I lost my father when he died going to Level B, and I lost my friends because they transferred cities. Gladly, Cathy stayed with me until the end. Well, communication is hard between the cities because of the force field invisibly covering us from the radiation. Signals cannot pass so writing letters to each other was necessary. It became modern yet classic. But, I still hate it.

As I walked while eating my fries, familiar frightened faces suddenly passed by the side walk, bumping me. I think the ruckus is finally done from where the shouting and chattering was held. This only means I am near from the big crowd, going to the main plaza. I slurped my float as I stopped to observe around, checking if an alley would finally appear before me. The shortcut was unusually hard to find. I was really sure it was near here. I walked slowly, turning my look to the layers of familiar stores along both sides of the highway, until a small dark edge straight ahead showed up.

I ran excitedly as it appears. It was between two buildings with the same height, both a convenience store and standing between them was a lamp post. The alley was dark and dirty, has full of trashes, and the smell of the cement was bold, mixing with the foul trash. I hesitated to go in yet I wondered what's beyond. I don't even remember when I last came in here. I went out safely I guess. I took a deep breath to gain some bravery and to store enough oxygen for I was to dive in a trench. Then I held my fries with my left hand and squeezed the float between my left armpit. I gave a single step entering the alley and covered my nose with my right hand, squeezing vigorously. I wanted to shout from disgust but a single release of breath would be as if deadly. I gave another step, observing both walls and saw the sunlight above slightly angling across the walls, making me see some graffiti. As I read one of the graffiti on my left, bold overlapping letters said these words loudly:

"FREEDOMforNORMALHUMANS!!!".

It has an unusual beautiful bright contrasting colors categorized by the lights and shadows where the playful strokes was intensely lifting.

The message was crystal clear as I memorized the beautiful letters. Well, all we heard from the news was the everyday ruckus held inside Level B City, the psychic's den. From that, I do realize that normal people should not pay them because all they do is trouble. That was the freedom we wanted in the first place. People are paying for troublemakers not miracle workers. As an artist such as myself, these covert people should come out and express their feelings to the current government. They may be normal people but they are not powerless. Art could be their weapon.

I looked at the wall one last time and smiled behind my hand until I was satisfied. After being a critic in a moment, I shrugged off my shoulders and walked, still holding my breath intently.

~♧~

Straight ahead was still an aisle of walls. I got nervous. A bright exit still hasn't appeared yet. When my breath was out of oxygen, my throat let out a big cough for the foul smell suddenly hit my nose. The smell was terrible. I cannot suck in another air for the smell was indeed deadly.

Then for a few moments, my stomach felt butterflies as my chest felt heavy. My head was floating whereas my sight turned blurry. I felt this gas in my chest that I almost burped with some food out. I felt weak that I fell onto my knees, my hands slapping the dirty cement. I was about to give up when suddenly--

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!"

*Coughs*

I panted. I swallowed everything that was about to go out. I felt heavy and my stomach felt punched. I think my body thrusted in the air, now I am floating. For a moment, I thought I was thrown away to space for the sky felt near me. My breath is heavy, I am currently trembling as the sunlight straight above is hitting my blank yet shook face. I was blinded.

"HAHAHAHAHA! You should've seen your face! HAHAHAHAHA!" A familiar voice suddenly startled me into my senses.

"Neon..." I whispered...

"Wait... Neon?!" Then I shouted.

My face turned all wrinkled as I looked at his pale face, I was mad. Though he was still glittering against the sunlight that was hitting his bright white skin and it was a little scary. He was sitting on the edge of the wall, above the roof while I still floated in front of him, he was still laughing about my face.

"You freak! PUT ME DOWN THIS INSTANT!" I demanded.

"Okay."

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!"

*Coughs*

I panted again. I trembled like I was in the middle of the cold. Well, he just literally let me fall. I almost hit the ground, but gladly, he caught me by his psychic powers and I floated. Now, I am facing the dusty ground that is just a few inches below my face. My body is horizontally straight on the air. In an instant, I felt the gravity hitting my stomach. I couldn't handle the thought. It was too extreme and I know I'm just a weak person.

"Will you stop! Please..." My voice faded as my tears fell down on its own.

I couldn't understand, but I am afraid. I think he is going to kill me like the others. He did that awful view in front of me and I thought I can face him confidently, but I was wrong.

I am really just no one.

~End of Chapter 3~
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
*Author's Note:

(I'm not going to say something too much but a thank you! And please do leave a vote if you liked this Chapter😁😘😉 That's all!)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

249K 48.2K 128
Title - Dangerous Personality Author - Mu Gua Huang MC- Xie Lin x Chi Qing Chapter 161 + 2 extras ထူးဆန်းသည့် ပြန်ပေးဆွဲမှုတစ်ခုအပြီးတွင် ချီချင်းတစ်...
88.1K 83.1K 100
☀【졸업증명서위조】 #고등학교졸업증명서위조 #성적증명서위조 [최종학력증명서위조] #대학졸업증명서위조▷ㅋㅏ_톡:bmw8540 ▷텔레:bmw8972
129K 4.6K 73
After his first year at the Advanced Nurturing High School, Fukazawa Yato is about to start his second year as a student. With a better understanding...
16.9K 452 21
ဒီကောင်မလေးကို ပြန်ပေးဆွဲထားတာဘာအတွက်လဲ ချစ်လို့လား ကြိုက်လို့လား လိင်ကိစ္စကြောင့်လား မဖြစ်နိုင်ဘူးလေ မင်းက Asexualတစ်ယောက်လေ.... possessive type, Re...