Things Change

mrsmalfoy818 द्वारा

Hermione and Draco are forced into close proximity when they are made Head Prefects that share a common room... अधिक

Prologue
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Epilogue

Chapter 1

15.8K 302 72
mrsmalfoy818 द्वारा

Hermione's POV

It's been four months since The Battle of Hogwarts. Things haven't changed much. It took the Ministry most of the summer to track down my parents. They managed to restore most of their memories, but pieces of them will never be the same. There are just some details that they couldn't get back. They know who I am and everything. They love me and know I'm their daughter. They know my birthday and about Hogwarts, but the smaller stuff gets fuzzy. If they have to think about my favorite color, the names of my old imaginary friends, or what foods I like, their eyes will glaze over while they get lost in their heads. I keep reminding myself that it just leaves more room for us to make new memories.

Things at home are about the same as before the war, but that's probably because my parents are muggles. They weren't as affected by Voldemort as the other Wizarding families.  I try to keep myself busy around the house and helping my parents or planning mundane things for us to do together. When I'm left alone to my thoughts, the sadness and loneliness consumes me. I should be grateful that I only lost Ron and that I have Harry and Ginny still, but I'm not. Seeing them doesn't bring me the cheer it should. I think it's the same for them. Seeing each other is nothing but another reminder of what was lost.

Nothing seems the same anymore. Nothing will be the same anymore. No matter how hard we try, there are things that you just can't change.

Tomorrow we'll be returning to Hogwarts to finish our seventh year. It will be weird going back since I thought I said goodbye to my school days when we left to hunt horcruxes. I'm also nervous that I might break down the instant I see something that reminds me of Ron. 

I still think about him a lot. I keep trying to sort out my feelings for him. I love him of course, but was it more than the love I have for my other friends? I believed it to be but maybe it wasn't. The more I think about it, the more I get lost in my thoughts and I end up thinking of all the ways he had hurt me in the past. I can't help but think my brain is doing it to lessen the hurt of loosing him by reminding me of the bad. 

Everyone thinks it's best for me to come to terms with it for what it was — the loss of a loved one—so I can properly grieve. I've tried and it's too hard. The wound is still fresh and I'm not ready to accept it.

As I finished packing my trunk, Crookshanks jumped on my bed. He found the one patch of sun and curled up on the bed. I plopped down next to him and stroked his back. I started thinking about Hogwarts. I just wonder who else will be making the trip to Platform 9 3/4 tomorrow. 

***

I sat down across from Harry and Ginny on the train. I already knew this day was going to be tough, but it was made worse by the decision from Harry and Ginny to take a break. I guess I can see where they're coming from, but it pains me to see the way Ginny watches him when he's not looking. From what I know, Ginny said Harry was having a hard time coping and kept blaming himself. No matter what any of us told him, it didn't help. 

I guess I must have been staring because Ginny lifted her hand in front of my face and waved it. 

"Hello," she said jokingly. "Is anyone in there."

I smiled and quickly apologized. I couldn't shake the guilt of sitting here with all of my friends except Ron. I glanced down at the table to avoid them seeing the tears in my eyes. I was thinking about the first time I met Harry and Ron on this train. 

"Hermione, this isn't right." Ginny sighed as she watched me. "You need to get past this and put Ron to rest. He's not coming back." 

I was so stunned I didn't know how to answer. I tried to hold back the tears that were in my eyes because I knew why Ginny was lashing out. She couldn't come to terms with everything and that made her angry.

"Do you think you're the only one suffering?"

Suddenly I couldn't hold back the tears as I heard Ginny mutter those words. I got up and ran from the compartment before anyone could say anything else. Her words stung more than I'd like to admit. They made me feel selfish. Of course they were suffering too. I've been so wrapped up in my own feelings I hadn't even checked in on them. 

I didn't know where I was walking, but I kept my head down. I eventually reached the end of the train and ducked inside of the only empty compartment.

As we started to near Hogwarts, I quickly undressed and threw on my robes. Just as I finished putting on my robes on, the door flung open. I was first met by his unmistakably blonde hair. It fell loosely over his forehead and partially covered his eyes. The blue orbs were quickly darting from side to side as he examined the compartment and then me. I didn't know whether to be angry or upset that he was here. 

What right did he have to come back here?

"What do you want, Malfoy?" I asked him as I folded my arms across my chest. I didn't want to let him know how uneasy I was feeling so I stared him down. 

"Calm down, Granger." He shifted awkwardly from one foot to the other, trying to hide what looked like a book behind his back. For once, he seemed lost for words. "I didn't think anyone was in here."

"Well, now you do. So you can leave."

I didn't move and continued to glare at him. Everything about Malfoy made no sense. He was a Death Eater who had voluntarily helped Harry. Twice now, actually. Back at Malfoy Manor when Harry had that stinging hex and at the battle when he gave Harry a wand. 

"Fine, I will." He eventually answered. He started to turn to leave when a voice called out.

"Actually," the woman interjected, "neither of you will be going anywhere." Professor McGonagall stepped into the door way. "Miss Granger, will you please follow me. Mister Malfoy, quickly change into your robes and meet us in my compartment. Understand?"

"Er, yes Professor," he said nervously before we left him to get dressed.

McGonagall led me to her compartment. She offered me some pumpkin juice while we waited but I declined. I was too nauseous as I thought about why McGonagall would need to see me and Malfoy together. After a few moments, Malfoy walked in. His eyes scanned my face looking to see if I had more information than he did. 

"Mister Malfoy, glad you could make it!"

Draco's POV

I was simply trying to find a compartment where I could be alone and there weren't eyes judging me from every direction. When I opened that door, Granger was the last thing I had expected to see. It honestly took me a minute to even recognize her. Her hair was shorter from the last time I saw her and it didn't seem as unruly as it used to.

I walked in just in time to see her fixing her skirt under her robes. There was a brief moment where he leg was exposed and I was immediately drawn to the exposed skin. I had to quickly avert my gaze before she saw me staring. 

I had to admit that it was comforting to see a familiar face for a second. Then I remembered that she was one of the most annoying people I'd ever met and suddenly that comfort disappeared. Instead, I was just angry. Throughout the last few months, there had been nothing but praise for her and her friends whereas all they did was ridicule my family. 

After the intrusion from McGonagall, I quickly got dressed in my robes and raced to the Head Mistress's compartment. I wondered what trouble I could have possibly gotten into already. 

"Mister Malfoy, glad you could make it!"

I glanced at Granger and tried to scan her face for any clues about what this meeting would entail. I found nothing but a blank stare in return. 

"Now take a seat right here, yes, next to Miss Granger."

I sat down next to her and took one more glance. Granger didn't react. If she were hiding something, she was doing a good job. 

"Now I bet you're wondering why you're here." McGonagall paused and gave us a chance to nod in return. "Well it is my honor to announce that you, both, have been selected to be this years Head Prefects." 

Hermione's jaw literally dropped and she immediately started to protest. "But, Professor-"

"Miss Granger," she cut Granger off sternly. "Mister Malfoy is Head Boy and that's final. No ifs, ands or buts."

I didn't know what to say. How in the world was I chosen to be Head Boy? I thought it had to be some kind of joke or maybe my family had pulled some strings hoping this would help things.

She nodded and mumbled, "Yes, Professor."

McGonagall eyed me carefully before continuing. "Now," she started, "you may go. I'll meet you at the castle this evening." She clapped, "Off you go!"

I stood up, along with Hermione, and left the compartment. I realized that I hadn't said a word the entire time. I don't know why, but I began to follow Granger as she walked back to the compartment. People eyed me suspiciously through the windows as I walked by. Scenarios started popping into my head. One in particular came to mind. Surely Granger didn't know about our living quarters or else she would have fought harder. 

She arrived in her compartment and went to shut the door, but I stuck my foot in the way. "Malfoy," she opened the door so that we were face to face, "what do you think you're doing?"

"Just came to say farewell, but I suppose it's not necessary." I could feel my lips curving into a smirk at her confusion.

"Wha-What do you mean?" She raised an eyebrow.

"Oh, you haven't heard?" My suspicions were confirmed. "I just figured you, the brightest witch of our age, would know that Head Prefects share a common room. But I guess not."

Her face was riddled with confusion. "What are you talking about?"

"You didn't know that, did you?" I found it quite amusing how much I could irritate her merely by talking. I wondered how much I could manage to get under her skin. I was starting about the possibility of making her year miserable and then I was reminded that I'd have no choice but to be constantly in such close proximity of the Mudblood. 

"Well, no, but-"

"Leave her alone, Malfoy." Potter. "No one want you here." I half expected things to be different, but I should have known better. Of course Potter thought he was still better than everyone. At least I could do my best to take full advantage of the situation. 

"You better keep your toes in line, Potter." I watched his face closely for a reaction. 

"Why is-"

"Well, if you'd like to know-" I started to explain, but was interrupted by Granger.

"Harry, can you believe McGonagall made him Head Boy."

I really didn't want to stick around and see where this was heading. "Well as I was saying Granger, see you around." I remarked with a smirk knowing how much it would annoy Potter.

"You," Potter hissed at me, his voice full of venom. "You just leave her alone."

"Don't flatter yourselves," I told them. "It's not like we have a choice. Why would I volunteer to be around a filthy mudblood anyways." 

The door slammed and then I went to find another compartment.

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

82 10 13
Ella has known Draco her entire life, as her parents were quite close to the Malfoy family. The thing is, Ella would hardly call Draco an acquaintanc...
8.4K 148 16
*Complete*Draco Malfoy and Hermione Granger loathe each other. They will be civil to each other when the hell freezes over. But will a simple game ch...
77.2K 2.4K 31
Five years into to the war, the Order is pulling ahead after ages of drastically losing. Draco Malfoy notices. He wants in. He offers himself as a do...