Cherry Wine {lex luthor}

Από angelicivory

How do you repay someone who has given you everything? {will contain violence, mental health issues, and stro... Περισσότερα

photobook and playlists
prologue
chapter one
chapter two
chapter three
chapter four
chapter five
chapter six
chapter seven
chapter eight
chapter nine
chapter ten
chapter eleven
chapter twelve
chapter thirteen
chapter fourteen
chapter fifteen
chapter sixteen
chapter seventeen
chapter eighteen
chapter nineteen
chapter twenty
chapter twenty one
chapter twenty two
chapter twenty four
chapter twenty five
chapter twenty six
chapter twenty seven
chapter twenty eight
chapter twenty nine
chapter thirty
chapter thirty one
chapter thirty two
chapter thirty three
chapter thirty four
christmas eve
christmas day
chapter thirty five
chapter thirty six
chapter thirty seven
chapter thirty eight
chapter thirty nine
chapter forty
chapter forty one
chapter forty two
chapter forty three
chapter forty four
chapter forty five
chapter forty six
chapter forty seven
chapter forty eight
chapter forty nine
chapter fifty
chapter fifty one
chapter fifty two
chapter fifty three
epilogue
ART DECO

chapter twenty three

1.3K 46 1
Από angelicivory

My cold stuck around for another week-a week where I was on strictly enforced bedrest. The doctor that visited the mansion said my body had been under extreme stress; the wound in my leg, my first ever exposure to alcohol, sitting outside in freezing temperatures had all culminated in, for lack of better words, my system melting down. He explained that for some it resulting in ulcers, some in migraines, and in my case, I had passed out. It was my body's way of telling me to slow down, take it easy.

Which meant, to Lex, that I was not to leave the bedroom. I slept through most days, waking long enough to eat or shower. On the plus side, it gave my body time to heal properly, something I hadn't been letting it do. On the downside, it meant that by the time my week was up, I was stir crazy, but Lex, as overprotective as ever, would not leave me alone for even a second. I knew my episode on the driveway had shaken him up, but his insisting that I stay within sight at every moment seemed like overkill. 

His office had become my second bedroom, with a nest of blankets on the couch and a stack of books on the side table. While he worked, I read, or wrote, or doodled little flowers onto his letterhead. I knew for a fact he sent memos on the papers I had drawn on, and more than once his employees had commented on the tiny gardens at the top of the page.

"Please." I begged from my spot on his couch. "Just for five minutes I need some air."

Lex looked up at me from his desk, a pen between his teeth. There was ink smudged on both his forearms, and on his left cheek.

"No, Ruth." He said. "For the hundredth time. You can't go outside alone. You've barely gotten better. You still cough at night!"

I pouted, and in my pettiness, decided not to tell him about the pen marks on his face. The heat of the room felt stifling.

"The fresh air will be good for me!" I protested, standing up from the couch and making my way over to his desk. "Only a few minutes, I swear."

Lex sighed, and I sat on his desk, swinging my feet. He pushed his chair back, looking at me. I tried to make my chin wobble, or muster up some convincing tears, but only succeeded in making him laugh.

"You are a terrible actress." He said. "Simply awful. I'll tell you what. The senator will be here in a few moments. If you're good, and don't cause distractions, we can go for a walk once she leaves."

I grinned and kissed his cheek.

"You have pen on your face." I giggled, and made my way to the door. "Should I wait in the bedroom?"

Lex wiped at his face.
"No, why don't you go put your shoes on? This shouldn't take long."

I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Oh, so I can walk downstairs by myself now?" I teased. Lex rolled his eyes at me, and made shooing motions with his hands.

"Off you go, you nuisance. Wait for me at the bottom of the stairs."

I scampered off, breathing a sigh of relief when his office door closed behind me. It felt good to be alone for a moment. Even though there was barely feet from where Lex sat and where I stood, it felt like miles. I was excited, too, to see the senator. She had been kind to me, and out here in the country, I didn't meet many new people. Or kind people, for that matter. The staff all whispered behind my back, and the businessmen mostly ignored me.

I coughed a little as I made it to the bottom stair, my throat sore and my lungs unused to so much exercise after a week in bed. I sat, trying to catch my breath, when the door swung open, and the senator entered. She jumped when she saw me sitting in the foyer, but smiled warmly as she made her way over to me.

"Ruth, it's so nice to see you." She said. I stood up and went to shake her hand, but she pulled me in for a hug instead. I was startled by it, and even more shocked when I smelled a familiar perfume. It was the same as the one my mother wore. Something Chanel, rich and dark. My throat closed up a little, and I closed my eyes, forcing the thought from my head.

"You too." I pulled away.  "Did you drive all the way out here? It's pretty far."

The senator shook her head, and squeezed my shoulder.

"No, sweet girl. I have a driver. Has Lex talked to you about the upcoming trials?" She asked suddenly. I frowned, taken aback.

"I've been sick, Senator Finch, and he tries to shield me as much as possible from what happens in the news. Why?"

"I asked him if you would testify. Think about it, Ruth, please, and let me know. It would be a great help. Now, if you'll excuse me."

She patted my hand, and went up the stairs. I stared after her for a moment, upset. Lex hadn't mentioned any trials or testifying. He rarely told me about his work or his projects, but this was different-it was something that directly affected me.

The old suspicions that Lex was up to something less than clean were beginning to rise up again. I didn't want to question him. He was indubitably smarter than I was, and I was sure he knew what he was doing-but it didn't sit right with me.

I made my way into the ballroom, and sat down on the white floor. The glass ceiling revealed a blazingly bright day, the sky a cold blue. I remembered cool fall days back home, before everything happened. Apple orchards, pumpkin patches, watching horror films in my basement with my friends. I wondered briefly if my friends were worried about me, or of they had already forgotten me and moved on. I wondered, too, if my house was sitting empty, or if the bank had repossessed it.

My sneakers squeaked against the pristine floor as I stood up. There were voices coming from upstairs, low, angry voices. I hid by the door frame as the senator stormed out of the mansion, her coat flying behind her. Lex threw a glass off the balcony, and it smashed on the marble floor, sending shards flying. I yelped and leapt back as a few flew by my head, pressing my back to the wall.

"Ruth?" Lex called.

I remained silent. The smell of expensive alcohol rose from the shattered glass, irritating my throat. I tried to stifle a cough, but failed. Immediately, Lex came around the corner, grabbing my arm.

"Are you hurt?" He asked. I shook my head mutely. "I'm sorry, my love. I didn't realize you were so close."

"It's okay." I said shakily. "I'm fine. What happened?"

Lex made an angry face, his lips tightening.

"None of your concern." He said tightly.

"Just like how the trials are none of my concern?" I blurted. "Senator Finch said she wanted me to testify."

Lex's grip on my arm tightened, and I whimpered, sure it was going to bruise. His eyes flashed dangerously.

"You're right. The trial is none of your concern. And senator Finch is a corrupt old windbag. You're not to talk to her again."

"I want to testify." I said, and tried to pull my arm away. Lex only yanked my closer to him, so I was pressed against his chest, staring up at him. I felt frustratingly out of control.

"You're not going to testify, Ruth, and that's final." He said firmly. "Don't ask again."

"Then at least let me go to the courthouse." I begged. "Please."

Lex closed his eyes, but nodded, letting out a sigh.

"Fine. But only if you're with me every second." He relented. "You hear me? You stay within arm's reach at all times."

I smiled up at him, thrilled to have gotten my way for once.

"I promise." I batted my lashes. "Now, you did promise me a walk outside."

***
The air was crisp, but the sun was warm. The trees had mostly shed their leaves, and I kicked at the piles the gardener had raked, enjoying the sound under my shoes. Lex stood and laughed as I jumped into each one, sending plumes of leaves into the air.

"You are such a child." He chided, as I made my way back to him. I scrunched my nose, and giggled at little, before a shiver wracked my frame.

"Are you cold?" Lex asked, rubbing my arms.

"No." I said. "I'm having fun."

"That wasn't the question." Lex rolled his eyes skywards. "Like I said. A child."

I squinted my eyes at him. Lex reached out, and took my hand, pulling our intertwined fingers into his jacket pocket.

"Don't pout, it doesn't suit you." He said, and we began walking back towards the house. "Come on. If you're good, I'll make you hot chocolate when we get inside."

Συνέχεια Ανάγνωσης

Θα σας αρέσει επίσης

4K 231 6
𝐓𝐞𝐞𝐧𝐚𝐠𝐞 𝐃𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐛𝐚𝐠 | ❝ 𝑯𝒆𝒓𝒐𝒆𝒔 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒎𝒂𝒅𝒆 𝒃𝒚 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒑𝒂𝒕𝒉 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒚 𝒄𝒉𝒐𝒐𝒔𝒆, 𝒏𝒐𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒑𝒐𝒘𝒆𝒓𝒔 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒚 𝒂𝒓𝒆...
539 19 8
Lucy Westenra meets Kara Danvers/Supergirl Kara gets a little to comfortable with the towns vampire Very explicit sexual content and violence please...
719 139 20
The girl who lost everything, went through the most horrible events and decided to survive. How will her life change? Fanfiction made by @Argy_Si & @...
171K 6.5K 22
Supergirl. She was brave, selfless, kind, beautiful, and more powerful than any human could ever dream of being. Lena Luthor had always had a weaknes...