Macabre: the Gothic Boutique...

Od gossamersilverglow

[Original] Simon, a nerdy, agoraphobic wolf-shifter falls in love with a human named Annabelle who's more int... Více

Chapter 01
Chapter 02
Chapter 03
Chapter 04
Chapter 05
Chapter 06
Chapter 07
Chapter 09

Chapter 08

172 9 14
Od gossamersilverglow

My oxygen was depleted and my lungs were burning with every breath I managed. It was cold up here too. It was as if I was experiencing hot flashes, burning up one minute and cold the next. It felt like I was on top of the mountain instead of at the bottom of one, like the altitude had shifted completely. I shivered and puffed out a white cloud of hot air.

Hmm, maybe we were more at the top than I thought.

I scrubbed my hands over my dripping face and watched helplessly as Arden continued on the trail that seemed to never end, going straight up. I would be dead before I reached the top if I couldn't catch my breath. But I didn't want to be lost, so with a burst of energy, I scrambled after her, barely managing to bend forward and tug at her shirt, pleading with her through body language to stop.

"We're almost there," she said with a whine in her voice.

I held up two fingers. Two minutes. It was all I needed, just two minutes.

"The Fae are closer. If we don't run, we won't make it. Can't you feel it?" she asked, raising her hands in the air, palms up, like she was expecting rain, "the electricity in the air?"

Arden lifted her face towards the sky, her shoulders lifting with a deep sigh, before she dropped her gaze back to me. The worry line in her forehead disappeared and her eyes seemed to harden. They almost looked vacant.

"I'm obligated to fight for you," she said as she bent down to my level, making certain she held my gaze. "But I will not die for you. I'm strong, but I haven't gone through my transition yet. I can't beat a Fae. Do you understand?"

I'm not all together sure the shiver that shot through me this time was from the lowering temperature. It was the second time I almost believed that everything happening could be real. But that was ridiculous. Wasn't it? I could see the real fear in Arden's eyes though. Whatever it was, it was real to her. And just because it isn't real to me, doesn't mean it isn't for her. Maybe that's why she was doing this job, because it was the only one she could hold down.

"Okay, I'll do my best," I said, suddenly worried about Arden's mental state.

The idea of her staying with me for a week didn't seem too bad now. It was clear the girl needed my help. There was probably even a reason I had to meet her 'Alpha'. The list of her medications must be lengthy.

She gave a hiccupping laugh, her face transforming to showcase the relief she felt, and she nodded, turning to start the run once again. I licked my lips and nodded to myself. I would have to treat her like she was a patient and stop ragging on her. Goodbye Oompa, it would have to be Arden now.

Arden was right about them being almost there. Within five minutes the steep hill leveled off and a flat clearing of land came into view. Frost tipped twigs and brown leaves littered the ground and the path forked. One path continuing straight up and the other, slightly beaten down, led to the flat lands with grass that looked more like patches of moss glued together. Once we continued down the battered path that, thankfully, didn't go up hill, I noticed within minutes a set of moss covered stairs spiraling up towards a large gray stoned cottage. Had I already not been lacking oxygen, it would've taken my breath away.

"Simon!" Arden started yelling as she took the steps two at a time.

When I reached the top and saw the front door, I'd decided that was enough. My legs crumbled beneath me as I dropped to the ground and laid back, spread eagle, heaving. I closed my eyes and focused on the blood thumping through my neck.

"Simon, we're here." Arden hollered again. "Si-" She stopped mid-yell and the banging of the front door swinging open and knocking against the side of the wall seemed to bounce off the trees... trees that surprisingly did not have frost on them.

I popped an eye open to confirm it. "What the hell?" I asked out loud between puffs of breath that I could no longer see. It even seemed a little warmer.

A shadow fell over me. "Hello."

I blinked with confusion as I took in the man bowing over me. No way did they choose this goof ball to play an Alpha werewolf. He was hot, even with his dorky rimmed glasses, but he had only a little more muscle than I did. Rubbing my fists into my eyes, hoping to clear the haze, I stared again. All I could manage in the moment was to push myself up on to my elbows and look up. "Mr. Alpha?" I asked.

The quick lifting at the corner of his mouth as he let out a chuckle confirmed what I'd thought. So he was gorgeous... he looked like one of those golden haired sexy computer geeks with glasses that had dirty sexual fetishes maybe, but definitely not an Alpha werewolf.

I wonder how they suckered him into this.

"Simon Hunter," he said, offering me a hand up.

The snort slipped out before I could even think to stop it when I reached for his hand. He lifted an eyebrow at my response, but didn't comment as he easily pulled me to my feet a little too quickly. The minute I was upright, a dizzy spell blurred my vision and I bent over my knees again.

I let out a pained groan. "I need to work out more," I said, mumbling it to the ground.

"While it really accentuates your face, you shouldn't have plucked that flower. You have no idea the trouble you've brought on me."

I lifted my face. "What are we talkin' about?"

"That Magnolia flower you decided to put behind your ear," he said, gesturing towards it. My hand shot to my head, dislodging the flower, causing it to fall into my hand.

Arden heaved a troubled sigh. "I told her not to do it."

"What's really important is how there isn't frost on these trees. That's what I want to know," I said, thinking it wasn't really the most opportunistic time, but if curiosity got me up that monster hill, it would at least get me an answer here.

Simon cocked his head, his mouth tilting into a frown. "This area is temperature controlled." He pushed his glasses up his nose and continued to stare at me curiously. "You're going to have to make this up to me." He paused before continuing, "Isabelle."

Scowling, I shook my head. "Annabelle," I said with emphasis. He shrugged casually, not seeming to care.

It was then I felt the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. A slight pop behind me startled me enough that I swiveled around and just at the bottom of the stairs was the creepiest, yet eerily gorgeous man I'd seen since James.

A current breeze, that hadn't been there before, fluffed his dark silver-gray hair. The sunlight reflected against each strand giving it a dull sparkle, if that was possible. His cerulean blue eyes were ringed with black, making them pop out enough that I could see it clearly. Even from here. I rubbed at the hairs on my arms and swallowed. I had an asinine need to run away, to hide behind Simon, who was probably as dangerous as a worm.

The last fifteen hours, I'd been surrounded by hotties, two creepy and one geeky. This wasn't something I'd mind getting used to, but right now I wasn't experiencing the good kind of scare I enjoyed. It was beyond the fiasco with James and Dr. Sutter yesterday.

I knew what Arden had been talking about now when she'd commented about the electricity in the air. There was something very wrong with this guy. My serial killer vibes were blinking the warning sign of danger. The definition of danger if ever there was one.

My flight response activated and I took three quick steps back, before colliding into Simon's warm chest. His hands immediately settled against my shoulders, steadying me. His cheek stubble brushed against the tip of my ear as he pulled away, but not before whispering in my ear.

"You will owe me for this, Annabelle," he said, repeating himself.

My heart thumped in my chest and I curled my fingers into the palms of my hand, digging my nails in. I turned my head to glance at him. "For what?"

"As of this moment, Cypress owns you. By Fae law he can take you with him," Simon said, pausing as he let his hands slide down my arms, "and do whatever he wants with you."

"Well, by the United States of America law that's kidnapping buddy," I said, my eyes darting towards the man at the bottom of the steps again.

What have I gotten myself into? I felt like running away... or kicking something.

My retort seemed to amuse Simon enough that, instead of continuing to move away, he came closer, and dropped his chin on my shoulder. I watched from my peripheral view as his peach colored lips curled into a smile. A piece of his multi-shaded brown hair fell into his golden speckled green eyes. If I didn't know any better those very eyes were twinkling with amusement. It was almost a shame that green eyes didn't do it for me the way blue eyes did.

"You're welcome to go speak with him about it," Simon said, making a hand gesture.

I looked the silver haired man up and down. "I don't think so."

"Then you owe me." Simon seemed to conclude gleefully as he wrapped his arms around my stomach, all the while keeping his chin tucked into my shoulder.

It was like he was trying to coax a verbal agreement out of me. My hands dropped to the tops of his, wanting to claw them away from me, but something stopped me. I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it was why his early touches hadn't bothered me either. Or maybe it was my gut telling me this was the only way to get out of talking to the freak at the bottom of the stairs.

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

1M 35.3K 56
Edited Version Available on Amazon!!! ☺️👍🏻 Shift - A Vampire Romance by Kayla Jordan 1 in Shapeshifter 3 in Vampire 22 in Fantasy 4 in Werewolf ~...
23.1K 439 30
"Who are you and how did you get in my house?" By this point, I looked more human than ghostly. "I'm a ghost." I spoke. "Oh really? Then, if you're a...
150K 7.1K 26
*ORIGINAL STORY, WRITTEN IN 2015, COMPLETED & EDITED IN 2016.* BOOK I of the "Making her" Series "The Wolf, the Human & the Vampire" I, Daciana Lupu...
226K 17.6K 33
Timothy, a vampire turned no nonsense bounty hunter who keeps peace among supernaturals, has his world turned upside down when he meets a mysterious...