Evan's Rose [18+]

נכתב על ידי MissR12

"...she was my obsession and my most beloved possession..." -Evan "I truly, deeply loved him but sometimes lo... עוד

Description
Cast..
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Bonus Chapter
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34

Chapter 12

102K 3.1K 261
נכתב על ידי MissR12

"Coffee"

After a three-day hiatus, Evan stormed back into the office, setting a frenetic pace that had the entire team scrambling. As his assistant, I was at the epicenter of this whirlwind. I hastily jotted down his dictations, rescheduled his appointments, and even offered to stand in for him in less critical meetings.

Despite the madness, I found myself not complaining. The memory of the past three days, spent blissfully lounging on the beach, was still fresh in my mind. I would do anything to relive those tranquil moments. But for now, it was back to the grind, catering to Evan's demands and fetching his coffee. The day was nothing short of a whirlwind, but it was all part of the job.

Amidst this chaos, my phone buzzed flashing a familiar name. He gestured for me to answer.

"Hi, Rose. I heard you and Evan had a mini honeymoon?" Jake's cheerful voice echoed through the phone.

"Yes, we had a fantastic time and returned just yesterday. How have you been?" I responded.

"I'm doing great. Guess what?" Jake's question was open-ended, but riding the wave of my recent anniversary celebration, I ventured a guess.

"Are you getting married?" There was a pause on the other end, and my smile widened in anticipation.

"Well, I might have popped the question, and she said yes." I couldn't contain my excitement.

"Really? That's wonderful! Congratulations, Jake! You have to tell me all the details." Jake and his girlfriend, Diana, had been dating even before I met Evan. They were a perfect pair, always radiating love. Diana was like a sister to me, and we were so close that we had asked her and Jake to be witnesses at our wedding.

"Yeah, it happened just yesterday. I took her out on a date and kind of just blurted it out," Jake confessed, and I could almost visualize him nervously running a hand through his hair. He went on to describe how he had nervously gotten down on one knee and proposed. Their story was simply adorable.

Evan shot me a questioning look and took the phone from me, switching it to speaker mode.

"Why have you called my wife?" He asked Jake.

"Brother! I just got engaged." Jake announced.

"Am I supposed to congratulate you or offer my condolences to Diana?" Evan replied dryly but I could see him proud and happy for his brother.

"Thanks, bro. I knew you'd be thrilled." Jake said sarcastically. Their brotherly bond was always sarcastic and amusing to watch.

"Anyway, I called to let you know that Mom has invited Diana's parents for dinner tonight. I want you to come too." I glanced at the piles of files in front of us and then at Evan. It wasn't just work but Evan preferred to spend as little time as possible with family and I wouldn't go anywhere my husband was uncomfortable.

Evan sighed and pressed his lips into a thin line. "I can't promise if I'll make it so don't count on it."

"Aw man, I knew you would say that." The disappointment was evident in Jake's voice.

"I'm sure Rose will enjoy celebrating with you and Diana." I stared at him for a moment unblinking. My possessive husband often expressed his disapproval of me spending time away from him, which was something I loved and found annoying at the same time.

"Rose, you'll come, right?" Jake asked. I double checked with Evan to make sure he was fine with letting me go alone. He agreed with nod.

"Of course. I'll see you in the evening." I hung up and looked at Evan.

"What?" He asked.

"Are you sure you're okay about that? I don't want you sulking when I get back home." He shot me an offended look but found it amusing enough to manage a smile.

"You won't be alone. Harry will drop you off. I'm not going to stop you if you really want to spend time with them." The driver wasn't the issue, but I was glad he trusted me enough.

****

I donned a cream dress that cascaded down to my knees and applied some subtle makeup. Harry drove me to my in-laws' place while Evan was still tied up at work.

I was greeted at the door by Laura Carter, Evan's stepmother and my stepmother in-law. Anyone could tell jake was a splitting image of his mother, yet she exuded all things feminine and elegant. She wore a navy hued blouse and tight-fitting pants showing off her well-maintained figure.

"Where's your husband, honey? I thought he'd want to share joy on his brother's big day." She scanned the door behind me. Evan had never gotten along well with his stepmother and by extension I had maintained my distance. She had come into his life when he was a little boy and stuck to her evil stepmom trope.

"He got held up at work." I was glad that I didn't have to completely lie. I wondered if he was still in his office.

"Yeah, Mom, I really wanted him here today," Jake said, whining like a five-year-old. His eyes were bright and brown like his mom. A tousle of dark blond hair fell against his forehead making him look so charming and younger than his twenty-four years of age. Like Evan, Jake too worked out but was much leaner and shorter.

"Aw, it's okay, baby. Evan doesn't care for the family. We were all surprised when he came home with a wife none of us knew about." Her words didn't sit well with me, and I was suddenly hit with an urge to defend my husband from cruel accusations.

"Evan has never considered Jake as anything less than a real brother. He loves him no matter what." I had witnessed Evan's caring side for his brother. His brother was his best buddy.

"Aren't you the perfect wife, defending your husband? Anyway, let's get inside. The Wilkins will be arriving soon. It's not every day that you get to meet your daughter in-law's family. I am so happy that my son did the right thing by asking Mr. Wilkins for Diana's hand before he proposed. It just goes on to show well-raised my baby is." Laura's taunts stung, but they were true, no matter how much they hurt.

"Mom, give it a rest, will you?"

I didn't want to spoil the special night for Jake, so I didn't fight it.

The Wilkins arrived, not much later. Diana looked stunning in her emerald-green dress. We exchanged hugs and pleasantries. Mrs. Wilkins and Laura Carter had been good friends ever since their kids began dating. Over time, my father-in-law and Mr. Wilkins ventured into business together. Their families were bonding, and it was all that Diana had ever wished for. Not everyone was fortunate enough to have both their parents and in-laws get along and that was something I always regretted on missing out.

I congratulated Diana and she beamed with joy while showing off her stunning solitaire.

"Rose, you look lovely," Henry Carter came up to me holding a drink in his hand. Evan's dad was a handsome man, and I could tell Evan had inherited those genes from his father. A trait he often disliked about his appearance.

I smiled and thanked him.

"Our family would be complete if we had Evan here tonight." He sighed with longing.

"I haven't had a real conversation with him in years. I wish he didn't hate me." He looked away with a sad expression that made me feel sorry for him, but even more for Evan. I understood how hard it was to be alienated from your parents and I hoped they could bridge the gap between them.

"He doesn't hate you, Mr. Carter. He's angry with you. I hope you realize he's not very forgiving." But who could blame Evan? His parents had failed him and abandoned him.

"I let him down as a father. I learned from my mistakes and tried to be a better father to Jake than I was to Evan. Sometimes I wonder if I am the reason he is so complicated . . . so distant and so unforgiving. Evan was my first child. He deserved to be loved by both his parents. When his mother left us, I should have been there for him, but I was too self-absorbed to care for him." He spoke with pain, regret, and agony in his eyes. But it was too late to change the past. I didn't hate his parents with the same passion as he did, but I couldn't forgive them for the pain they had inflicted on my husband. Evan was just a little boy. I could only imagine the confusion and disappointment he must have felt after his parents' abandonment.

Dinner is ready, come on everyone," Laura announced. I followed them to the dining hall after checking for any calls or messages from Evan. I hoped he would come tonight, but it was already time for dinner, so it seemed unlikely. Diana sat next to me while her mother occupied the chair on the other side.

"It would be so nice if Evan were here. The whole family would look good, right Laura?" Mrs. Wilkin said.

"If I'd known my presence was so vital to this gathering I'd have come sooner."

All heads turned around to see my husband standing there, looking dark and dangerous with a devilish smirk on his face. He was still in his work suit, and his eyes were a bit tired, indicating that he had come directly from the office. My heart soared seeing him. I was so happy that he was here with me. Without him, I had been feeling so lonely and left out, but now he was here.

"Brother!" Jake went over to him to give him a bro hug. Evan returned the hug, and both men came towards us.

"You came," I said softly, just loud enough for him to hear.

"I didn't think I could manage the time, but looking at the smile on your face, I'm glad I could make it," he said, bending down to softly kiss me on my lips, fully aware of the fact that we were standing in the dining room of his parents' home.

"Umm... We were just about to start dinner," Laura said, breaking our kiss. We smiled and joined the others. Since there was no place beside me, Evan occupied the empty seat beside his father. They both exchanged small talk, and I wasn't surprised to see that Evan talked to everyone except his father. His father was looking hopefully at his son to start a conversation, but no one spoke a word.

"If I had known my presence was so important for this gathering, I would have come sooner."

Everyone turned to see my husband standing there, looking dark and dangerous with a devilish smirk on his face. He was still in his work suit, and his eyes were slightly tired, showing that he had come straight from the office. My heart leaped seeing him. I was so happy that he was here with me. Without him, I had felt so lonely and left out, but now he was here.

"Brother!" Jake went over to him and gave him a bro hug. Evan hugged him back, and both men came towards us.

"You came," I said softly, loud enough for him to hear.

"I didn't think I could make time, but seeing the smile on your face, I'm glad I did," he said, bending down to kiss me gently on my lips, fully aware that we were standing in the dining room of his parents' home with watchful eyes surrounding us. "You may not admit, Rose but you couldn't bear to be away from me either." I didn't realize how true it was until he said it. I needed my husband more than I ever let myself believe.

"Umm... We were just about to start dinner," Laura said, interrupting our kiss. We smiled and joined the others. Since there was no place next to me, Evan took the empty seat next to his father. They both exchanged small talk, and I wasn't surprised to see that Evan talked to everyone else freely, going as far laughing with them. His father's hopeful eyes looked at his son, hoping to start a conversation but not once did Evan speak to him. Instead, he kept glancing my way. I knew it was killing him to not be by my side.

"Rose, darling, ... " Mrs. Wilkins grabbed my attention.

"Evan can't keep his eyes off you and as we saw earlier neither his hands. How long have you been married?" The question was meant in a playful teasing manner, but I could tell Evan's focus was entirely on our conversation even as he spoke to Diana's dad.

"We just celebrated our second anniversary in Miami," I told her proudly.

"Oh, that's lovely, dear. Do you have kids yet?" She asked. The question made me uncomfortable.

"Not yet. It's just the two of us," I replied, my voice suddenly much softer to keep Evan from hearing our conversation.

"I'm sure Evan wants to keep you to himself for little while longer. But as a woman nothing is more fulfilling than seeing a child in your arms. I'm telling you if you...."

"Mom!" Diana cut off her mother before she could say more.

Mrs. Wilkins looked annoyed but said nothing, and everyone continued to eat.

I couldn't stop thinking about what she said. To be honest, we never talked about starting a family, but I loved kids and would love to have my own. I wasn't sure how my husband felt about them, and I shuddered to think of him having different ideas.

Dinner passed smoothly and everyone bid their goodbyes. I couldn't help but replay the conversation I had with Laura earlier in my mind. Seeing Diana's family and the Carter's mingle so well filled me with sadness and envy.

I took a deep breath and knocked on Evan's office door, feeling the tears sting in my eyes. He sounded irritated as he told me to come in. I stepped inside, keeping my eyes down. My face was wet and sticky from crying, and I knew my nose was red.

He glanced at me from his laptop and his expression softened when he saw me. He was on his feet when he saw the state of me and came over to my side. Gently tilting my chin up, he wiped my tears with the pad of his thumb.

"Hey, hey, what's wrong, sweetheart?" he asked softly, as if he was trying to soothe a crying child.

"Evan..." I couldn't say it, so I just hugged him and cried into his chest. He wrapped his arms around me, stroked my hair, and kissed the top of my head. I held on knowing this was the last time I would ever feel his touch.

"What's this?" he asked taking the white office envelope I clutched in my hand. I could've sent an email but handing it over in person gave me an excuse to see him once more.

"My resignation. I'm quitting," I said, barely audible to my own ears but he heard me.

He looked at me with shock.

"What did you say?" I saw fury pass across his eyes. He was angry.

"I'm leaving, Evan. I can't work with you anymore. My parents don't want us to be together. They want me to . . . marry someone else. There's a guy from church, they said." My voice broke and skin crawled when I repeated the words to him. This was the most painful thing I ever had to do.

Evan's jaw clenched. I saw him seething with anger and wanted to cry for hurting him.

"No! No, you can't do this. You can't leave me. I need you. You're mine, Rose. Only mine. No!" He pulled me back into his embrace and held me tightly. His grip was fierce, almost crushing me into him. I understood his possessive nature and how the thought of me starting a new life without me scared him. He sounded desperate and terrified.

"I don't want to leave you either. I love you more than anything. I can't live without you. But I have no choice."

*****

We had been cuddling on the couch in his office for over half an hour. I rested my head on his chest and felt his arms around me. I knew this could be our final moment together, so I wanted to cherish every second of it.

"Kiss me Evan. I won't hold you back this time. Kiss me." He didn't need to be told twice. His lips were on mine caressing my lips with his tongue and then he softly bit on my lips. I gasped and he took that as an opportunity to push his tongue inside tasting every corner of my mouth, making me lose my mind. Why did I hold myself back all the other times? Sure, we had kissed but it would be a peck on the lips, nothing like what we were doing now. He had respected my wishes to refrain from doing anything that I wasn't comfortable with even if it meant pulling away from me because I wasn't ready.

We pulled away breathless and panting.

"Come with me." He spoke. My eyes snapped open.

"What?"

"Come with me. Leave your parents' home and come stay with me. I won't let anyone take you away from me." He said resting his forehead on mine. The pain in his voice told me he was hurting from inside. I felt the same. I knife in the heart would be less painful than separation from the person I loved.

"I can't do that to them. They would be so hurt and disappointed in me. They'll be shattered if I break their hearts by living in sin with you."

"Be my wife. Marry me."

Every word of caution from my family was forgotten, everything they said growing up was left behind. I loved the man in front of me and even though there was a screaming inside my head to not hurt my family I found myself saying,

"Yes."

. . .

Some glimpses of Rose & Evan's past relationship. You'll be getting more such glimpses in the upcoming chapters. Find me on Instagram #authoreval for more. Also don't forget to show some love to my new story Dangerous Illusion.

Vote 
Comment
& Share

המשך קריאה

You'll Also Like

53.9K 1.8K 23
[BOOK ONE.] "I'm straight!" I snapped bitterly, my face burning with embarrassment. Ace chuckled softly. "Your body tells me another story." He tease...
8.8M 213K 52
• 𝗚𝗼𝗼𝗱 𝗴𝗶𝗿𝗹𝘀 𝗴𝗼 𝘁𝗼 𝗵𝗲𝗮𝘃𝗲𝗻, 𝗯𝗮𝗱 𝗴𝗶𝗿𝗹𝘀 𝘄𝗶𝗹𝗹 𝗯𝗿𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗵𝗲𝗮𝘃𝗲𝗻 𝘁𝗼 𝘆𝗼𝘂• || MATURE CONTENT 18+|| In which a twen...
68.4K 2.5K 46
❦ The Billionaire and His Flower❦ Book 1 Of The Ecstasy Series ❝Death is our forever because I want you to be mine, till eternity❞ . . . ''She was Hi...
224K 12.5K 42
~The story revolves around a tale as old as time. The beauty and the beast, pain and passion~ ~Raizel Deluca~ ~Coral Thompson~ Two very different an...