Damn Good Reasons **DISCONTIN...

由 Entangler

**OLD** **2023 VERSION AVAILABLE** Drug dealing, car conversion, money laundering are just part of Ace's eve... 更多

Prologue
1 Dear Diary
Chapter 2 - The Chambers Kid
Chapter 3 - One for Justice
Chapter 4 - Skeletons
Chapter 5 - Blackout
Chapter 6 - Essential Sentimentals
Chapter 7 - On the Road Again
Chapter 8 - Unfinished Business
Chapter 8 - Unfinished Business (Part 2)
Chapter 9 - Matter of Trust
Chapter 10 - Breaking Me In
Chapter 11 - Divergence
Chapter 11 - Divergence (Part 2)
Chapter 12 - The Whole Package
Chapter 12 - The Whole Package (Part 2)
Chapter 13 - The Grand Plan
Chapter 14 - Life After Death
Chapter 15 - All Bets Are On
Chapter 17 - Defiance
Chapter 18 - Fuel Fire Desire
Chapter 19 - Caged Bird
Chapter 20 - Once Bitten
Chapter 21 - Bitter Reunion
Chapter 22 - The Next Chapter
Chapter 23 - Rivalry
Chapter 24 - Interference
Chapter 25 - Two Solid Blows
Chapter 26 - Brothers For Life
Chapter 27 - The Lament
Chapter 28 - Dream Big Dreams
Chapter 29 - Freeing the Bird
30 Damaged Goods
31 On Thin Ice
32 The Ice Cracks
33 Dreaming Memories
34 Burning For Revenge
35 Beyond Words
36 Outrageous Greed
37 Backs to the Wall
38 Desperate Calls...
39 Sukey's
40 On a Knife Edge
41 Revelations
42 The Big Old Elm
43 We All Fall Down
44 The Road to Somewhere
45 Hopelessly Devoted

Chapter 16 - Secret of Success

449 18 8
由 Entangler

It was the perfect spot. I was standing outside Lewiston High School, looking in at the main hall where music from a live band was pouring out of every crack and window. Saxophones, stand-up bass and guitar were covering Rock Around the Clock, and I could see teens inside, bopping the night away in their suits and poodle skirts. It looked like a school dance – everyone was inside having fun, and nobody was in the parking lot out front.

I had to hurry. There was no time to think. I walked through the gates and straight up to the one that I had picked out from the roadside. It was a '38 Ford Coupe - I knew that because I once had a boyfriend who had one just the same but his was dark blue. This one was gleaming red with whitewalls, a split windshield and an ass to die for. Quite frankly, it was the hottest thing in the parking lot. I couldn't wait to see the look on Vince's face when I rolled up in this beauty.

It was on the left-edge of the lot, three rows from the front, and I was not in the direct line of sight of the people in the hall. I whipped my tension wrench and pick from my back pocket and poked them both into the keyhole.

Adrenaline surged through my system. It was pouring through me so thick I could taste it. It made my head so clear and focused that I picked the lock in under five seconds flat. I opened the door and slid into the incredibly comfortable leather interior before sticking my tools into the ignition. After another few seconds, my tension wrench turned all the way and the red beast purred. Excitement leaped up within me, and my grin was wide.

And then I put my foot on the gas.

It was just a touch, and the V8 spat out a roar as loud as a hot rod on a drag strip. Any coolness I'd had about me evaporated as quick as an ice-cube being thrown on a flame grill. I panicked. I threw the car into reverse and frantically snaked backward out of the parking lot, all the way out onto the street. Lucky there weren't any cars coming, because I sure as hell didn't stop to look. I threw the car into gear and peeled out, praying that the music was loud enough to drown out the commotion outside.

I flew past the 'Now leaving Lewiston' sign with one eye on the road and the other on my rearview mirror. No angry people were chasing me and - more importantly - no cops. It seemed that the hard part was done.

Up until then, I thought I would feel a terrible guilt for doing it, but I didn't. I blamed Diego. I blamed Lewis. I did these things because of their greed, not my own. I began to think that maybe it was for the best that 'what's her name' showed up and stole Ace away. Afterall, he was in the same 'greedy' category as the rest.

As for me, as far as I was concerned, I was a saint compared to any of them. But apparently, me and Karma didn't see eye to eye. Just as I passed the '15 miles to Castle Rock' sign, the engine began to judder every few seconds, shaking the entire car.

"Oh no... don't you dare..." I said as everything vibrated around me. "Just another few miles, I beg you."

If it heard my pleas, it still showed me no mercy. It just spat and coughed for a while before slowing to a roll and then dying on the side of the road.

"Shit!" I said, pounding both fists on the wheel. I jammed my picks in the ignition again and tried the starter, but it blatantly refused me. "Come on, this isn't fair!"

I looked down at the dashboard and quickly realized my mistake. The needle of the gas gauge pointed to 'E'.

-2-

I blamed Ace entirely. He was supposed to warn me about these things.

It took me about a second to decide that I had no choice but to abandon it. It was a loss that I couldn't afford, but the other guys might have been and gone, and I couldn't risk hanging around in case it had already been reported stolen.

I wiped my prints with a small cloth that I had brought with me for that exact purpose and then started the hike back to town along the side of the desolate highway. I hadn't walked even ten paces when I heard a vehicle coming up behind me in the distance. I turned to see two headlights growing larger by the second - this car was moving fast, and it could've been anybody. I was in open country with nowhere safe to hide and no time to run. All I could do was duck. I got down low on the passenger's side and crossed every finger that the car would continue on its way without stopping to investigate.

But Karma still had it in for me, I'm sure.

A dark blue Dodge pulled up behind me, and the driver got out but left the engine running. I heard boots clomp on the road as they paced towards the front of my vehicle on the driver's side. I quietly crept towards the trunk, staying as low as I could.

It was then that I had a lightbulb moment. I could steal his car. It was a genius idea, really. After all, he wouldn't exactly be able to chase me.

As I saw a shadow of the guy walk around to the passenger's side, I nipped between the two vehicles and around to the open driver's door. I felt my stomach do a little jump for joy...

"Cass?" a voice said with a hint of a snigger.

"Shit..." I said, recognizing that snigger.

"What the fuck are you doin', O'Connor?" Vince said, strutting over to me with his thumbs jammed in the front pockets of his Levi's.

"Stealing your car, asshole..." I nipped into the driver's seat and went to pull the door closed, but he held it open and jammed himself in the way.

"Oh no, you ain't." He grabbed me by the scruff of my shirt and hoisted me back out again with ease. "What's the problem? Engine troubles?"

I sighed and stared at the ground. "Something like that."

"Did you run outta gas?"

I gave the front tire of his vehicle a swift, hard boot.

"Aha-ha-ha!" he cackled. "What did I tell you, huh? What did I fuckin' tell you? Was I right or was I right?"

"Look, can you help me get outta this or what?"

"Do I look like a walking gas canister to you? I ain't got none to spare. Maybe you'll just have to push it back."

"Vince, come on. We've got no time to mess around. Is there any way we can rescue this or are we leaving it here?"

Vince seemed to think about it for a bit and then snapped into action. "Let's check the trunks." He rushed to the rear of his vehicle and found his trunk locked tight.

"I can get that," I said, taking out my lock picks. It must have been the pressure of having Vince watching me because somehow I raked my pick across the pins a couple of times and beat my five-second record hands down.

I saw an impressed smirk rise to the corner of his lips, but he quickly wiped it off. Even I couldn't believe it.

I moved to my trunk next and tested my newly found raking technique. Again, I got it done in a couple of seconds, and I couldn't stop beaming about it.

My luck seemed to be changing. I opened my trunk, and what I saw made me literally jump for joy. "I've got a tow rope!"

"I got something better," Vince called out, uncoiling a garden hose through his hands.

"A garden hose?" I asked, carrying my rope to him, still convinced that my find was better.

"God Cassie, you've got a lot to learn." He pulled his knife from the leather sheath that hung from his belt and cut the hose off at a decent length before tossing the rest aside. He then drove his Dodge forwards to park it alongside my car so the fuel tanks were close. He pushed one end of the hose down into his fuel tank and put the other end between his lips to suck the fuel through. Just as it reached the top, he quickly shoved it into my tank to let it drain out of his.

"Wow, that's clever," I blurted out before I could bite it back.

Great. That'll go straight to his ego...

Vince raised his eyebrows at the compliment. "Well, now you know how to siphon gas."

I had to admit, Vince was proving that he's not as dumb as he looks.

He leaned back against his vehicle with his arms tightly folded as we waited for the fuel to drain. "So," he smirked. "Cassie broke the number one rule. Surprise, surprise."

"That may be, but I think leaving behind a decent car just because it's low on gas is a complete waste. I mean, finding one with a full tank could take all night."

"Yeah... you think this is the first car I got into? This was my third."

"But that's stupid! It's all risk and no gain. Hey... what if we hide some gas cannisters along the highway on our way out of town? One for you, one for me and one for Eyeball. And then on the way back, whether we need the gas or not, we pick up our canister and bring it home."

Vince frowned at me as the idea ticked over in his mind. Maybe he was beginning to realize that I'm not as dumb as I look.

"Don't you think that'll be enough?" I asked, gesturing at the tanks.

"Yeah, that oughta save you." He pulled out the hose and carelessly tossed it onto the grass. "Hey, another hundred bucks says I can beat you back to the garage."

"No... you go on ahead. I'll meet you there." I couldn't afford to lose even more money.

I headed back to my car, and Vince wasted no time in peeling out behind me and taking off into the distance. I picked the ignition once again, but this time the roar of the engine was music to my ears.

----

I parked next to Vince's Dodge in the die-out garage. His was nice, but if we'd bet on value, I would have beaten him hands down. There was no sign that Eyeball had been back yet. I bet I knew what he would be doing. I walked through into the trailer, and the lights almost blinded me after being in darkness for so long. I squinted to see Vince sitting on one of the sofa arms, beer in hand.

"More in the fridge," he said.

I went to the bench and ran my fingers over the stockpile of other liquor bottles that were cluttered together.

"Just don't drink the scotch. Ace'll have a fit."

I had to restrain myself from grabbing the scotch and pouring it down the sink.

"Where is he, anyway?"

"He won't be back tonight," I muttered as I poured myself a shot of something from a glass decanter. I couldn't tell what it was, but it smelt potent and that was all that mattered.

"Why?"

"Because he's busy."

"With what?"

"More like... with who?"

"Oh, yeah? Who?"

I shook my head - I wasn't going to answer that - and then tossed back a shot.

"You jealous?" he asked.

I shook my head again, and I wouldn't look at him.

"You are!" he laughed.

"No, I'm not," I said sternly. "She can have the bastard." I tossed back a second shot and then poured another.

Vince sniggered. "Ace is playing a dangerous game. If Antonia finds out he's been screwing around on her, she'll probably kill the chick."

"What... literally?"

"You know who I'm taking about?" he said, surprised.

"Yeah, that's who he's with."

"Oh. Then, I guess, everyone lives."

I had never thought of beautiful, softly-spoken, manicured hands Ants as dangerous before. But, she was from a mob family, so I couldn't doubt she was. I wondered if she'd seen my arm around Ace earlier and, if so, if I should be concerned. I had enough people out to get me already.

"So, when am I gonna get my money?" Vince asked.

"When I get mine, Vince," I said before throwing back another shot.

"But you can take care of the feet kissing now, right?"

I glared at him wide-eyed. "You don't really expect me to... I mean, I didn't mean it like that. I just meant... figuratively speaking."

"Oh, Cassie," he said, his smile growing, "you know what you meant. And I know why you said it. You thought because Ace was going with you, you couldn't lose. But you did. And now you have to pay up."

I lowered my gaze to his boots. They were dirty workman's boots which were so old that the leather on the toes had been worn away and the steel caps were showing through. My stomach felt squeamish at the thought of putting my lips anywhere near them.

"Those things are filthy..." I said.

Vince stood from his sofa arm and took a couple of commanding steps closer to me. "Feet Cassie. You have to kiss my feet. That means lips on skin."

"Eww!"

"Get on your knees and do it."

I stared down at his boots. I couldn't see a way out of it – I was sure he would hound me about it day and night, even embarrassing me in front of the other guys for as long as it took to make me succumb.

"Alright. Take off your boots." My face twisted in revulsion at hearing myself agree to it.

"You take 'em off."

"I'm not touching those things."

"You'll do whatever I say, however I say to do it."

"Don't push it, Vince. Now, take off your boots."

Vince could barely contain himself as he grasped the heel of each boot and pulled them off to reveal two sweaty socks.

"Oh man... that stinks!" I had to squint to see through the stench that was burning my eyes.

He then peeled off his socks only to increase the stench to barfing level.

I dry retched, strapping my hand over my mouth and holding my nose. "Jesus, don't you wash?" I mumbled under my hand.

"Course I do. Stop over exaggerating and do it."

I wasn't over exaggerating. That guy has serious toe jam. I kept the bridge of my nose pinched and got down on my knees in front of him.

"Come on Cassie, kiss 'em. And remember, it's feet – plural. And I don't mind if you wanna use tongue."

My stomach heaved as I dry retched again, doing my best to keep my shots down.

"This is so disgusting..." I bent forwards, trying to ignore the sight of his hairy ankles and toes and all the protruding veins. Why do some guys have such ugly feet? I finally decided that the quicker I did it, the faster I could run outside for some air.

I promptly pecked the ridge of each sweaty foot and then bolted to the kitchen sink to wash my mouth out with soap.

Vince erupted with laughter, holding his stomach in hysterics. "That was fucking classic, Cass. Damn, we should do this every week!"

My cheeks boiled from humiliation. "Don't you dare tell anyone about this," I said before wiping my mouth dry with the shoulder of my shirt.

Vince composed himself and wiped the tears from his eyes. "Yeah, I can keep it quiet. But it'll cost you."

"What!?"

"Cass, I'm an opportunist. And if you want my silence, you gotta pay for it."

I huffed with an eye roll. This guy was just something else. "Alight, fine. How much do you want?"

Vince gave me a smile so sly it was almost evil. "Hmm... you know, I might just think about it for a while. How about this: whenever I want something, I'll ask. That'll work, right?"

I gaped at him in sheer outrage. I couldn't believe him. I wanted to slap him. I wanted to raise my hand and swat it so hard across his face he'd have my red hand print stamped on the side of his cheek for a week. But I restrained myself in fear of making matters worse.

As Vince put his boots back on, I went out the front door and let it lock behind me. It sure was a relief to be breathing clean, fresh air again. The walk home would be a long one, but I couldn't bear to stay there. So, I sucked it up, put my head down and started putting one foot in front of the other.

I made it down the road a little before Vince's Studebaker sped through the gate and after me. He slowed to roll alongside me and leaned out his window.

"Damn, Cassie – you're gonna walk back?"

"Yeah... I have to get home somehow. Ace ditched me, remember?"

"But if someone sees you they'll wanna know where you came from and what you're doin' all the way out here."

"It's nearly two in the morning. How 'bout we double all bets that I don't see a single soul?"

"Look... get in the car."

"No thanks. How do I know you won't drive me out further and dump me somewhere?"

"I won't, alright? I'll take you home."

I cocked an eyebrow at him. "I don't believe you."

"Just get in the car," he said firmly. "We can't risk being found out here."

I huffed in annoyance because I knew he was right.

"Hurry up!"

"OK, OK..." I ran around to the passenger's side.

We drove into town and started down Main Street. To get to my place, you continued for a quarter mile further and then took a right turn, but Vince took an immediate left.

"Hey, where are you going? You said you'd take me home."

"Yeah..." he said snidely. We soon pulled into Vince's driveway, and he parked up next to his house. "I'm home."

I did slam the car door... but I was coming to expect that sort of thing from Vince. Just like I should have expected Ace to do what he did. Bloody Eyeball. I made a mental note never to trust anything he says ever again.

It was then that I realized I was in close proximity to a certain someone who I owed a date. It was nearing 2 am, but I felt my chances of him still being up on a Friday night were pretty good.

继续阅读

You'll Also Like

996K 32.9K 60
𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐆𝐈𝐑𝐋 ──── ❝i just wanna see you shine, 'cause i know you are a stargirl!❞ 𝐈𝐍 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐇 jude bellingham finally manages to shoot...
166K 6.8K 49
𝗜𝗡 𝗪𝗛𝗜𝗖𝗛 noura denoire is the first female f1 driver in 𝗗𝗘𝗖𝗔𝗗𝗘𝗦 OR 𝗜𝗡 𝗪𝗛𝗜𝗖𝗛 noura denoire and charle...
1M 17.5K 43
What if Aaron Warner's sunshine daughter fell for Kenji Kishimoto's grumpy son? - This fanfic takes place almost 20 years after Believe me. Aaron and...
728K 9.3K 43
You're rafe Cameron's girlfriend. He's controlling, manipulative, and insanely jealous over you. (13/01/24) #1-Rafecameron (12/03/24) #1-Outerbanks ...