Rain

Bởi Confidence97

Seeking to escape the pain she ran. She thought she was running from everything instead she found everything... Xem Thêm

Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Epilogue
Authors Note

Chapter 8

105 24 68
Bởi Confidence97

Chapter 8

Daniel walked into the living room closing the door after him. He had just gotten back from work. The living room was empty and the house he could tell was so quiet it seemed there was nobody home. That probably meant Doreen wasn't home yet.

Moving to climb the stairs, he smelt it.

Fried chicken.

He backtracked then headed for the kitchen to find the source of the mouth watering aroma and perhaps get to taste it to see if it tasted just the same as it smelled.

As he drew near he could hear someone humming a song. It sounded familiar. He entered the kitchen to find Rhoda and Sophia. He was still trying to get used to that name, even after the Sunday's naming ceremony Doreen had made for her.

He entered the kitchen, "Something is smelling so good"

Rhoda turned to look at him, "And someone wants some chicken which he won't get"

"Can't you make an excuse this time and just get me one?"

"You didn't greet first" Sophia stopped her humming to ask.

Daniel turned to look at her but she had already turned her direction to the onion she was chopping. Her sling had been removed two days earlier leaving her arm in its bandage. She was chopping it slowly as though someone doing it for the first time. So lazy like.

Don't blame her. The doctor did say she's got to take care and not do too much work that would put a strain on the injured arm. His conscience reprimanded him.

"Good evening" he finally greeted

Rhoda smiled, "Good evening but you are still not getting any chicken. And mom will be home soon with Doreen then you can help her with her homework"
With that smile he could see the resemblance between his mom and sister. Doreen already took after her mom in looks. Looked like all the females in the family took after each other.

"Yes mom" He turned to leave but Rhoda had another information for him.

"Adam is coming home today"

Ahhh, He finally realized the reason why she was preparing such a feast. It was all for her husband. And he had been thinking it was because she just wanted to change the menu to spice it up.

"Why are you smiling like that?"

"Because you are acting like it's the first day Adam is visiting but you should know he is is no stranger and you are married to him so no need to try so hard. After all you learnt from the best"

"I know. Get out now, I've got food to perfect"

He scoffed,"As if it isn't perfect already. Don't worry, I'm leaving now"

He said already running away as he knew just how his sister might just turn on him.

"You know you better!" Rhoda yelled from the kitchen.

Just as he stepped into the hall he was met with the door opening as his mom and niece entered. Doreen ran towards him just when she entered. Scooping her in his arms he placed her on his hip.

"How was school today D?"

"It was duper good" she chirped.

He walked towards the dining table placing her on a chair and sat on one next to her.
"You mean super"

"Madam Angie said I did super duper good today in my math. See so I did do duper good today"

He laughed at that, "I can tell that, my niece is duper good. Lets see if she can do duper well in her homework. Can she?"

She smiled opening her Dora the Explorer bag to remove her book, "Yes!"

Half an hour later, they were done with one homework and two trial tests. The second trial test had Daniel placing a night out with ice cream on it. And with just the right motivation placed on it, Doreen had a perfect score: she got it all right.

She's a genius, he thought. But then he couldn't wait for a night out with his favourite niece and enjoy some ice cream. After all it was Friday and they could relax through it because the weekend was just beginning.

But now he looked forward to the fried chicken that Sophia was carrying into the dining room.

*******************************

Sophia carried the tray of fried chicken to the table. Rhoda had warned her that Daniel might eye the chicken so it was best to keep him busy. She saw his eyes trailing towards the chicken she had just placed on the table.

"Rhoda said to tell you to get her some black pepper and some fruit juice from the supermarket" she told him.

He looked at her, "Typical of her to keep me busy and you ran her errands now?"

She opened her mouth to answer but Doreen spoke first.

"Sophia I got all my math correct today!" She said a bright smile on her face.

"Thats wonderful dear, mummy says you have to go and bath now because dinner will be ready soon. Plus she says she has got a special surprise for you so I think you better hurry" she whispered the last part quietly.

Doreen jumped off the chair squealing as she headed for her room with her school bag.

Daniel stood up his chair scraping the floor loudly mumuring loudly as he left, "A surprise for my niece. When will anyone surprise me with chicken?"

Sophia stared after him, even after the door closed after him.

"He can be childish at times. Dont let him get to you with his childish antics" Rhoda said from behind her

She shrugged, "I'm not bothered by him"

"That's good. Now all I'm praying for is for that woman who is going to keep him in line and change him for the better"

She turned to look at Rhoda whose hands were supporting her back.

"I know he looks okay but you've seen the way he is with Doreen. He is going to be a great father one day if only he will stop running around busying himself with work and settle down and start a family. I can tell he wishes for that too. Just can't figure out the problem that's holding him back"

Rhoda now sounded worried.

"Well I'm sure when he's ready he will settle down and begin his family" Sophia said.

Rhoda smiled, "Let's pray so and that it happens soon. Very soon in fact"

Sophia smiled knowing she was just about launching into another tirade.

"And if he has problems finding the right woman I can help him out, I have a lot of female friends that are really interested in him and there is this friend of his that has really liked him from their high school days. I'm sure..."

A smell of burning onions wafted into the room. "Something is burning" Sophia said thoughtfully which immediately drew Rhodas attention.

"Oh no"she moved as fast as she could into the kitchen with Sophia following her. The rest of the food was done in one hour. By which the rest of the family were already seated in the living room. Just as the last dish was placed on the table, a knock came which was exactly what Rhoda was expecting seeing as how her face brightened with a small smile.

Daniel was the one who opened the door, allowing a tall man dressed in a dark suit. The man seemed uncomfortable as he stared at Daniel.

"He...Hello"

"Good evening to you too. How was your flight?"

"It was good. Thank you"

Doreen must have just recognized her dad because she ran towards him tackling his legs in a hug.

"Daddy!"

He scooped her up into an embrace holding her tight, "Baby girl, how is my little princess?"

"Good. I got all my math correct today"

"That's amazing. Well done and for that you get a present from me"

"Which she will get after supper, I'm sure it's some sugary stuff, you know how that makes her hyper. Come on Doreen" Mrs. Asamoah said. "Welcome home Adam"

Adam smiled, "Its good to be home mom"

Daniel tapped Adam on his shoulder making him flinch, "Relax I'm not going to punch you or anything, welcome home bro" he chuckled at him whiles following Mrs. Asamoah and Doreen to the Dining table.

Adam smiled all traces of nervousness disappearing, "Thank you"

From the living room, Sophia saw Adam's eyes fall on Rhoda who stood staring back at him with a smile. In three strides he was standing in front of her holding her in his arms.

No words were said just a silent hug and the sniffing sounds of Rhoda.

Sophia decided to give them space by moving to the dining room where the others were already seated. There were three free chairs one directly opposite Mrs. Asamoah and the other two were opposite Daniel and Doreen. She finally opted for the one directly accross Mrs. Asamoah.

Finally the couple joined them at the table and grace was said even through the grace they could still hear Rhoda sniffing.

Everyone had just begun to eat when Daniel decided it was time to go overprotective mode.

"Adam what did you tell my sister?"

Adam looked scared, if that defined it, "I didn't do anything"

"Danny, what is it now?" Mrs. Asamoah asked.

"Look at her she is still sniffing"

"They are happy tears come on" his mom said with a frown.

Rhoda came in, "I'm sorry, its just that I can't seem to stop. I'm sure my eyes are all swollen right now"

"You look beautiful" Adam said quietly wiping the tears that had started again on his wife's face.

"Mommy why are you crying?"

"It's nothing, mummy is fine honey"

"Is baby brother having a match again?"

That seemed to be the trick, as it made Rhoda laugh and it settled the tense and awkward atmosphere. Everyone turned back to their foods.

Once they were done, Sophia and Rhoda took the dishes to the kitchen to take care of. As they started, Adam came in excusing Sophia as he wanted to do the dishes with his wife. Sophia knew she couldn't deny him that. She nodded and moved to leave the kitchen.

"I don't think I've ever seen you. But it's nice to meet you....." Adam extended his hand for a shake.

"Sophia" she shook the offered hand.

"I think it's great Daniel is finally settling down"

Rhoda laughed, "Oh no its nothing like that. Sophia, why don't you join Doreen and Daniel with their ice cream night out. You havent really been to the town since you came here"

"Oh no, I don't want to intrude I think I'll spend my night in the house, in my room"

"No that won't do, come with me, you have to change into something else. You go on and I'll speak to Daniel"

There was a tone of finality to her voice so Sophia didn't speak again but just bided by Rhoda's words and went into her room to change into a casual t-shirtand jeans paired with sandals. Rhoda had taken her shopping the day before and got her new clothes and shoes.

When she came downstairs, Daniel stood arms folded at the bottom of the stairs, face etched with a small smile as he stared at Doreen who was jumping up and down talking about something one of her friends did in school. Mrs. Asamoah was nowhere to be found, she probably was in the kitchen, she guessed.

He turned to look at her when he heard her approach, "We've got to go now, we haven't got all night" he ended his command and turned headed for the door with Doreen dressed in a yellow t-shirt with jeans skirt and a topped with a blue cap in tow.

"Make sure you have fun Sophia" Rhoda yelled from the kitchen.

Oh I doubt it, she thought.

A/N
Good afternoon folks, Confidence here.I just finished writing my first exams. I think it was okay so five more to go. And because I'm grateful to you guys for your support. I made this longer. Its a total of 1903 words excluding A/N. Do enjoy it. And please dont forget to vote or comment.

Thank you guys.

Ko si se me te monka......stay blessed

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

480K 13.4K 22
A widower. A runner. An ex sister-in-law who won't let go.
1.6M 42.9K 57
(WARNING: This is my first story btw. Some parts may be cringe or toxic, but I don't feel like changing anything) I watched as he frustratingly ran h...
1.2K 24 17
A young girl finds herself trapped in a life that she considers hell. She deals with this everyday of her life as she goes through the hurt,.the pain...
11.2K 357 20
She stood at the end of the cliff debating if she would jump, and that's when she made up her mind and took a step into the darkness. What happens wh...