Already Dead

By AbsenceOfTheMind

There are so many ways a world can come toppling down. I always knew it could happen, but I never expected it... More

1
2
3
4
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
1

5

91 4 3
By AbsenceOfTheMind

Part 1:In a Darker Forest
Chapter 4

All three of us spoke at once; Leena was embarrassed and trying to brush away her tears as she said, "How long have you been out there?" while I, not wanting to deal asked, "What the hell are you doing here?" in contrast to both Lentil and I, Jen calmly asked if he wanted a soda.

Conner raised an eyebrow. "I fancied a walk and got lost, heard the sound of you three and came here for directions. I'm not a stalker, don't worry and yeah, a soda would be great."

Jen reached over and grabbed a Sprite. "You give it to him," she hissed.

"What? No!" I hissed back, outraged at being moved about like a pawn in Jen's game of romance. I refused to be set up with every hot guy in Heathers, which she would totally try if I let her. Which is not to say that, if Conner asked me out, I wouldn't say yes.

"Do you really want to cause a scene?" Jen smirked softly, knowing I had no choice.

I shook my head, grabbed the Sprite with excessive force and vaulted over the side of the truck, landing neatly on my feet. "Here," I said thrusting it at him.

"Did I do something to offend you, Avery?" Conner asked, a tad bit coolly.

"What?"

"Did I do something you found offensive?"

"No, why?"

"You just cussed me out."

I laughed. "Where are you from? Because around here, that kinda thing is just a way of saying hi!"

"Oh sorry," he said, sheepishly. "Can one of you show me back?"

"I'll do it!" Leena exclaimed.

"Oh, Leena, that is just like you, trying to help others out! But, darling, you're a mess from all that running! We'll go inside and fix up your make-up, while Avery shows him the way out. She is, after all, already up," Jen said slyly, knowing that Lentil's hands were tied; she couldn't fight the arrangement without revealing her crush. And I couldn't back out without offending him.

"That'd be great!" Conner said cheerfully, seemingly oblivious to the chess game masterfully played by Jen right before his icy blue eyes, "Which way is out?"

"This way," I said, gesturing at the medium-sized path behind our cars. I walked towards it and he followed.

A little ways down, Conner cleared his throat. "Yes?" I asked.

"Thank you for helping me," he said softly, slowing his pace.

"No prob, no prob," I murmured, following suit, "I honestly like helping people."

"I can tell. You've helped me more today than I ever expected to be helped." I blush. "But you don't date much, do you?"

"No, why?"

"Do you go on dates?" Was he hitting on me?

"Yes, what's going on in your head?" We had both completely stopped and turned to face each other.

"You want to go to the movies sometime, Avery?" He asked, taking a step towards me. I guess he was hitting on me.

"Sure," I said, reaching for the back pocket of my ripped jeans for my knife. I pulled it out.

"Whoa! What's that for? Is this why you don't have a boyfriend?" Conner asked, baffled and shocked.

I laughed; his expression was hilarious. "There's a small shortcut coming up, but it's over grown with thorny vines, so unless you fancy being cut up by briars, I'm gonna keep the knife."

"Oh. Carry on."

I smirked and cut down a few vines, revealing what seems like a natural hallway. "So, about that date?"

"Well, I really like horror, what about you?"

"Can get enough of it, but it scares Lentil stiff so I can never watch it." We went walking down the path, talking as we went.

"What's with all the nicknames?"

"Oh, it's kinda our thing. I'll respond to Asia, Autumn, Ghetto Girl, Brown, and Eye Shadow."

He raised an eyebrow. "All that?"

I shrugged. "Why not?"

He shook his head slightly, giving it up. "Anyways, David told me they do midnight showings?"

"I love those, it's been forever since I saw one."

"You think your parents will let you with me?"

"Why not? As long as I sleep in the tree house so I don't wake them up, bring weapons and don't drink, they're cool."

"Tree house?" he inquired.

"That one back there," I replied, pointing behind me, "and make sure you stay friends with David."

"Sure, why?"

"He's Jenny's brother."

"He said his sister was named Jennifer..."

I laughed. "She is but she doesn't much like it."

"Ok."

I cut another vine; it was blocking the "exit". "Here we are," I stated, "On the beaten path."

"Thank you so much," Conner replied, walking off. I turned away ready to go back to my friends. "Oh and Avery," he called, drawing my eyes, "I'll pick you up at 11:45 this Friday."

"Fine by me!" I affirmed and we parted.

***

"You're going out with him? On a date?" Leena exclaimed in horror.

"Yeah, but we're just going to see a horror movie." I said, confused at why she was making a fuss.

"At midnight?"

"So?"

"So? So? So, why not just wear matching T-shirts that say, 'We're a couple!' because that's what couples do!" she boomed.

"We're just going as friends... I think?" He hadn't actually mentioned if it was a real date, so I wasn't really lying to her.

Leena stuttered, outraged.

"Now, now Lentil, let's be happy for our friend who finally has a date," Jen smirked, "because someone needs to do her make-up and help her get dressed."

Leena brighten considerably at the chance to play doll with me, "Okay!" was the instant perky reply.

They laughed. "You do that," Jen said.

"Okay, I'm going to pretend I'm totally okay with becoming a glorified Barbie. Bye!" I got into my car as they yelled their goodbyes back.

})i({
I have to admit, I'm getting tired of writing Part 1:In a Darker Forest at the top of each chapter. From now on, I'm just going to assume that you are smart enough to know that it's Part 1. I'll give you notice when it's not. Perhaps, "IT'S FINALLY PART TWO!!!! YEAH, PARTY!" would do nicely?
Anyways, what y'all thinking? Let me know by commenting, voting, and eating cookies!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

94.5K 3.4K 29
𝗠𝗮𝗴𝗶𝗰𝗹𝗲𝘀𝘀. Yup that was how everyone in NRC describes you as. But one thing about you is that, you are quite lucky. How? well your parents a...
32.2K 1K 46
Get ready for an intense story about Colleen Ballinger and when her world gets turned upside down. **** I have no intention of this happening in r...
322K 7.4K 89
The titles says it all. *COMPLETED!* |#2 in Josh Dun Imagines search by 6.7.17| |#8 in Josh Dun tag by 6.7.17|
158K 2.4K 50
|COMPLETED| Who knew what could happen in two weeks... CURRENTLY EDITING! © all right reserved.