Coming Down ➢ Steve Rogers

Autorstwa -lovegood

"My yesterdays walk with me. They keep step; they are grey faces that peer over my shoulder." [TWS - CW] star... Więcej

preface
prologue
- part one -
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
- part two -
nineteen
twenty
twenty one
twenty two
twenty three
twenty four
twenty five
twenty six
twenty seven
- part three -
twenty eight
twenty nine
thirty
thirty one
thirty two
thirty three
thirty five
thirty six
thirty seven
epilogue

thirty four

5.2K 193 1
Autorstwa -lovegood

Chapter Thirty-Four

Delaney was agitated - she had been ever since Steve contacted her. So much had happened even since the three escaped: it was like that event had been the catalyst for this big, messy explosion.

Because that was what was going on. Everything was being torn to tiny, itty bitty pieces.

Not five minutes after Steve's message, government officials – no doubt part of Ross's team – had arrived on the threshold of her hotel room. They had come to ensure she hadn't followed in the footsteps of the others and had broken the Accords. When they saw quite plainly she still resided in the hotel room, she was told in plain terms that she was forbidden to join the efforts to find Steve, Bucky, and Sam – and that a guard would be posted nearby until the matter had been cleared up.

Delaney let them know how she felt about that arrangement with a curt acknowledgement, a scowl, and a door slammed in their faces.

Though they hadn't used the term specifically, Delaney knew she was under house arrest – or hotel room arrest – on no other condition other than that she had superhuman ability and she hadn't signed the Accords.

Oh, there was also the matter that she was Steve's girlfriend. That probably didn't work in her favour.

So much for my freedom. Delaney had lashed out by slamming her fist into the wall, and her only reward was scraped and throbbing knuckles.

She'd received another, more welcome visitor later on: Delaney was surprised to see Natasha walk through the doorway, Delaney's bag with extra clothes from London in her hands.

"Thought you'd appreciate this," Nat had said lightly, and chuckled when Delaney hugged her. "You need a change of clothes. And a shower."

Delaney pulled a face. "Don't I know it."

Natasha shook her head. "Tony apologises for the guard, by the way," she said lowly. "He tried, but he couldn't convince Ross otherwise. Being the girlfriend of the elusive Steve Rogers isn't helping your cause very much."

Delaney rolled her eyes.

Natasha briefed Delaney on what was going on before she departed: apparently she, Tony, and Rhodey had been given the task to bring in Steve and the others. The thought left a sour taste in Delaney's mouth. Now things really had started to fracture in earnest, in a way that made Delaney wonder if these wounds could ever be repaired.

She showered, hoping that the hot, steaming water would take her mind off things. Instead, it just gave her room to ponder without distraction.

Steve would contact her soon, with information on Bucky. He'd then have to make a decision how to act once the others came for him.

Would they give him a chance to explain? Would they allow him to give a defence for Bucky, or would they arrest him? Or worse – would they execute him on the spot? What would become of himself and Sam if they were found? Would they be forced to sign the Accords? Or was even that too lenient? Would Ross order them to be imprisoned?

There were far too many variables. She didn't think Steve would let the government find him just yet.

Which meant they'd likely go on the run.

The only question there was what would happen to her.

Delaney let the boiling water cascade down her back as she mulled the thought over. She'd never felt more lost.

She'd just felt settled with the Accords, reassured by Natasha, Sam, and Tony. She'd accepted that despite differences, she could keep both sides of her family without signing the accursed papers. She still had a home to return to; she could still remain on good terms with those who had signed, and those who had not.

For a few brief hours, the turmoil within her had been calmed, and she'd believed everything would settle and work around itself.

Now there was a storm raging once again.

This business with Bucky appeared to have ruined any hope for that future. And it looked like Delaney would end up indirectly having to pick a side if Steve did go on the run.

Option one: she stayed. She would never have to sign the Accords, remain close to Natasha, Tony, and Rhodey; she could still see Clint from time to time and keep her room at the Avenger's Complex.

The only problem was that she'd likely never see Steve and Sam again – or at least not for a few years. And while they could talk, it was no substitute for spending time together face-to-face: those careful touches, soft embraces, gentle kisses on the lips and warmth radiating from each other's skins. It meant not seeing Sam's bright-as-the-sun smile or feel his hand on her shoulder, assuring her that it would be okay without having to use words.

Or there was option two: go on the run with them. It meant serious consequences if caught and the possibility of not seeing the others... But she'd have Steve and Sam. They might be able to fit in visits to Clint... But no Nat. No Tony, no Wanda or Rhodey – Delaney hadn't even heard anything about Wanda since she'd left for London. Her mind drifted on a tangent and briefly wondered how Wanda was coping on her own.

Delaney pursed her lips. Her fears before had only been smoothed when she realised no matter what, she still had a home. With her past, that was all she sought: a place to call home.

That, she knew, would be the ultimate discriminator when she made her choice.

What was her definition of home?

What couldn't she live without?

Delaney asked herself this when she exited the shower, a towel around her body, and another one soaking up the water in her hair. Just as she was considering what to wear, Steve contacted her.

Lane, he said, without greeting. This is what's going on.

He summarised everything Bucky had told him, and what their plan of action was. Delaney didn't respond instantly, and instead chewed on her lip. Super soldier assassins that could destroy the world? Sure, why not?

This turns into going outside the law, Steve said, but it's our only choice.

I understand.

I'd rather you stayed out of this, but I know I can't make decisions for you. Whether or not you join us on this mission is completely up to you. However, you won't have the guaranteed future without the Accords if you do.

What couldn't she live without?

Delaney's chest tightened. She was having to make her decision earlier than she'd wanted to – and it would change her future possibly forever.

What did she define as home?

Was it with the Avengers, or was it with Steve?

Delaney loved all of her friends. They were so quick to accept her, help her. She'd known Natasha since she'd been found by S.H.I.E.L.D. They were the extended family she'd never had. She belonged there. She was accepted, from her power to her love of Harry Potter.

Steve on the other hand... She loved him. But that wasn't all it was. She trusted Steve with every atom in her body. She'd opened up to him first before anyone else, even Clint and Natasha. She'd exposed more of herself to him than anyone else in the Avengers. She didn't just love him. He was a part of her, and she was a part of him. They understood each other. Cared for each other. She always sought his face before anyone else's.

And that was when she found her answer.

She loved the Avengers. But she didn't just love Steve. He was the most important person in her life, literally half of her.

A home, she realised, wasn't just a building. It was where everything most important to you was, where you truly belonged.

A building was a building – but Delaney thought any building could be considered a home. Just as long as Steve was with her.

That was the path she chose.

I'm in, she said, jaw locked. Tell me where to meet.

Steve did so. Delaney used the time to pull on her gear that was casual yet suitable for fighting and belt her knives to her waist, hidden beneath jeans and a thick, long coat. She dried her hair and, as a final action, scribbled out a note to Tony and Natasha.

They would be hurt by her decision, and Delaney would miss them constantly. It would be a constant stab in her heart to remember how he'd thrown everything back in their faces. The note was nowhere near enough to make up for her actions, but she hoped it could at least remove any bitterness.

She held the note and stepped outside. "I'm going to eat," she told her guard, who nodded and trailed after her.

He didn't notice the note she slipped into his pocket.

The foyer was busy, just as Delaney had hoped. She weaved through the crowd and tables, putting distance between herself and her guard as she did so.

That had been her aim.

Delaney darted off and exited the building, waving wildly to hail a taxi. She gasped her destination as she clambered inside, and they were off before her guard ran out of the building. She saw him in the rear view mirror, already pulling out a phone and dialling a number

Delaney breathed deeply

Hang on, Steve. I'm coming.

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

186K 6.4K 80
Sequel to Good At Surviving. 》It's your time to shine now. Don't let the world sleep on you.《 #3 jamesbuchananbarnes (6/10/21) #1 thefalconandthewint...
73.3K 1.5K 40
I put my head on Bucky's shoulder. "Why don't you have a picture of me in your compass ?" I asked. He put his head on mine and took his compass from...
5K 263 56
. Her time running from the law has come to an end. Now it's her chance to prove she's earned it. Sequel of Redemption. #20 in gaurdiansofthegalaxy 0...
380K 9.2K 44
(Completed) ➥ Y/n the adopted daughter of Steve Rogers goes on adventure with both Bucky and Sam.