Father of the Bride

By The_Night_Writer

When Amirah and Ayaaz leave Aston University they decide it's time to speak to their parents and get married... More

Introduction.
Chapter One: The Wait
Chapter Two: Dr Debonair
Chapter Three: The Uninvited
Chapter Four: The Invited
Chapter Five: In the Shadows
Chapter Six: Meet the Parents
Chapter Seven: Rivalry
Chapter Eight: Crimson Kara
Chapter Nine: Turning a Corner.
Chapter 10: Fezophie
Chapter 11: Secret Liaisons
Chapter 13: Fragile Lives
Chapter 14: Night of Revelations.
Chapter 15: Mounting Pressure Part I
Chapter 15: Mounting Pressure Part II
Chapter 16: Taking A Risk
Chapter 17- The 'Date'
Chapter 18: Like Father...
Chapter 19 Part I: Awkward Dinner
Chapter 19 Part II: Awkward Dinner
Chapter 20: Bijli Strikes.
Part II: Chapter One- Truth is Out.
Chapter 2- Fallout
Chapter 3- Consequences
Chapter 4: Leaving it Behind.
Chapter 5- It's a Deal!
Chapter 6- Kintsugi
Chapter 7- At first Sight
Chapter 8: Falling Deep
Chapter 9- Midnight Oasis
Chapter 10: Glorious Morn
Chapter 11: Doubts
Chapter 12: Chrysalis
Chapter 13- Caught
Chapter 14: Consequences
Chapter 15: Unfurled Fears
Chapter 16: Katastrophe
Chapter 17: Spoonful of Regret
Chapter 18: Holding on
Chapter 19: Ayaaz's Mission
Chapter 20: The Arbitration
Chapter 21: Second Thoughts
Chapter 22: The Wedding- Part I
Chapter 22- The Wedding: Part II
Chapter 22: The Wedding- Part III
Chapter 22: The Wedding- Part IV
Chapter 22- The Wedding: Part V
Chapter 22: The Wedding: Part VI
Chapter 23- Fuelled
Chapter 24: Spark
Chapter 25: Flare
Chapter 26: Ignite
Chapter 27: Inferno
Chapter 28: Ashes to ashes.
Chapter 29: The Siren

Chapter 12: Extinguished Flame

4.2K 394 209
By The_Night_Writer

Standing aghast, Amirah couldn't believe what she was seeing. She blinked repeatedly still frozen looking at the sparkling sliver anklet on Kara's ankle that she bought on her trip to Marakech. Dressed in her father's loose white shirt which reached above her thighs, her long silky legs stood exposed. It was clear from Kara's scantily clad state what had happened in the bedroom. Her gasp grabbed Kara and Khizar's attention. The shock. They were caught out.

Khizar shook off Kara and darted out of the room towards Amirah who flinched back with her hands up.

"I can't believe it-" Amirah's voice shivered. "You! And my best friend?" She felt bile rising to her throat. The mere idea made her feel sick. She couldn't even say it out loud. She shook her head unable to get intimate pictures out of her mind. Kara's long sexy legs, her father's large veiny hands. Kara's luscious pink lips and her father's-ugh! No! She lifted her handbag as a barrier between her and her father unable to look at him. She spun on her heel and desperate for a sharp exit.

"Amirah!" Yelled Khizar and grabbed her arm pulling her back. "You've got the wrong idea!"

"Don't!" Amirah raised her finger on the verge of tears. "Don't you dare deny it! She's my friend, dad! She's old as me, 23!" She screwed her nose and shook her arm free.

Kara appeared from the bedroom and leaned against the sofa.

"Look at this-" She gestured to the petals, the candles and romantic meal. "I'm not stupid dad!" She ran her hands over her face wondering if this was just a bad dream.

"Amirah! Just listen to me princess-"

"Don't you dare call me princess!" She pushed him back. "This is twisted. It's disgusting that my friend is in your bedroom with nothing on but your shirt."

He shook his head with frustration. How could explain this extenuating circumstances? Even he was confused.

"How long has this been going on?" Amirah's eyes searched for an answer. 

"For God's sake Princess, give me some credit, I do have some self-respect." He snapped in anger. 

But she couldn't stand in the apartment any longer. The stench of rose oil suffocated her and she needed fresh air.

Amirah made a run for the door and ran along the hallway. She thumped the lift button but it would take too long, instead she made her way to the staircase and ran out of the building.

Sitting in the taxi, the rain beat down the window pane. She pulled the sleeves of her jumper over her hands biting her fingernails. She couldn't go home. If her mum found out, she was sure it would cause mayhem between her parents.

"Alum Rock!" Her quivering voice ordered the driver.

All she could think of was Ayaaz; she needed him.

***
It was quarter to ten when Mahnoor sat at the dining table completing the accounts for the Foundation. She took off her glasses, sipped her cup of chamomile tea and rubbed her eyes turning her attention to the news. But her mind was occupied with the wedding, it took a large chunk of her time and Amirah and Ayaaz hadn't decided on the wedding clothes. However, it was the financial burden that set off the migraine in the corner of her head. Ayaaz had limited funds and she saved a small amount of money. The thought of asking Basharat was out of the question. So, she clicked on the laptop searching for personal loans.

At that moment the door bell rang, making her wonder who it could be at a late hour. When she opened the door, Amirah stood at the door, wet from the rain with a look of distress on her face.

"Beti? What are you doing here?" Mahnoor was surprised and looked behind Amirah for her parents.

Amirah marched straight in and paced the lounge. She continued to bite her nails making Mahnoor concerned.

"Beti, what happened? Is everything okay?" Mahnoor asked.

Amirah couldn't get her words out. There were lodged in her throat like vomit. Mahnoor sat her down and called Ayaaaz from his bedroom.

"Get her a towel and a glass of water." Mahnoor sat beside Amirah stroking her back waiting for the words to come out of her mouth after she sipped a glass of water.

"It's dad!" She shut her eyes. "He's gross!" She pressed the cushioned towel on her lap.

"What has he done?" Ayaaz asked.

Amirah stood up and turned her back on them. She couldn't tell them. It was too much.

"Amirah-you're scaring me. What is it?" Ayaaz pressed urgently.

"I saw them together-" She held her sleeves and wiped her dripping nose and pointed at the door.

"Who?" Ayaaz threw his hands in the air.

"Dad and Kara."

"And?" Ayaaz couldn't understand what made her upset.

"Don't you get it? Kara was in my dad's bedroom! They've been having a sordid affair!" She cried out and fell on the sofa burying her face.

Mahnoor raised her eyebrow meeting Ayaaz's eyes. In silence they looked at each other.

"How could he? She's my friend! He's so selfish! And she's a lying cow!" Amirah cried and sat back down.

Ayaaz kneeled in front of Amirah and stroked her hand calming her down. "He couldn't wait for me to leave and then he invited her. The apartment was covered in petals, candles, music and ugh!" She shuddered. "She was my best friend, and all the time they've been carrying behind my back. I can't even look at him. It's disgusting!"

Once Ayaaz and Mahnoor calmed Amirah calmed down, the door bell rang. She jumped to her feet knowing it was her father.

"I don't want to see him. I don't want anything to do with him." She backed away. "Tell him to go away."

"Amirah darling-" Mahnoor reached out. "Let's listen what he has to say. Give him a chance."

"No auntie. Never!"

Mahnoor opened the front door to find Khizar leaning his hand over the door in a damp tousled mess. Few strands of wet hair fell onto his forehead and the rain dotted his nose. The top two buttons of his shirt were open revealing a glimmering silver chain. His two day old beard gave him a rugged appeal. Mahnoor could see a temptation in him. He was indeed an attractive man, with charm and sophistication. But Kara? A 23 year old stunning young woman? That was a surprise. It was surely a mean feat; he must have done something exceptional to attract a young, successful and independent woman.
Khizar hung his head with his hands in his pockets, his sleeves rolled up revealing his veiny wrists.

"She's inside" Mahnoor stepped back allowing him inside. She looked at him from the corner of her eyes.

With folded arms, face turned away, Amirah couldn't look at him. "Ayaaz, tell him to leave. I have nothing to say to him.

"Amirah listen-" Khizar argued.

"To what?" She threw her hands open. "What can you possibly say to explain what I saw? She was standing in your bedroom in just your shirt. You're repulsive dad."

"Let me explain-"

"I think you better go-"Ayaaz stood between them but Mahnoor pulled him out of the way and whispered to stay out of it. His job was to support Amirah not to take sides. This was between Amirah and her dad.

Khizar Khan folded his arms and stood in silence with his chin tucked into his chest. He rolled his eyes at Mahnoor which allowed her to debunk Amirah's emotionally charged theory.

"Amirah listen-it's not what you think. I promise." Khizar argued. "I have no idea what made her do all that. I'm shocked as you are."

"At least find someone your own age!" She snapped.

"Amirah why don't you listen to what your dad has to say?" Mahnoor sat beside Amirah with her arm over her shoulder. Khizar stepped in front of her and licked his dry lips.

"Now it makes sense. The diamond earrings you gave her, the smell of perfume, the ripped button on your shirt and the lipstick marks." Amirah looked up at him.

He scoffed with a dry chuckle. "You think I would buy her REAL diamond earrings? They were crystal; a fraction of what yours are worth! Someone at the hospital was selling them for charity and I bought them."

"I couldn't believe my eyes when I walked in, the flowers, the candles, the music. The moment I went back to mums he called her over." Amirah wasn't prepared to listen to him. 

Khizar was discombobulated with the events. From friendly text messages and calls, what could have made Kara put on such a display? The moment he stepped into the apartment he demanded an explanation from Kara, but Kara was adamant that he gave her the invitation. 'The text! The text!' She cried out.

Determined to convince him, she took of her fur coat revealing a lacy, thigh length black dress revealing her ample cleavage. The argument spilled into the bedroom where Khizar took out his shirt and placed it over her shoulders to cover her modesty. She was just a kid.

Whilst Khizar attempted to appease Amirah, Ayaaz made his way into the kitchen. Kara wasn't a stupid school girl. She had high standards and most of the lads had a thing for her at University. Yet, not once did she give the boys the time of day. So Khizar must have said, or done something that allowed her to be so bold. Then he thought of her Instagram account. For the past few weeks Kara was sharing pictures of a mysterious wealthy man she was dating. She was clever not to reveal his identity posting teasing pictures of his silver cufflinks, his sport car, poses when she was out dinning with him and text messages. The diamond earrings! It was Khizar!

Ayaaz called Kara. He wanted to hear her side. Surely a woman as smart and stunning as her wasn't mistaken. Unfortunately, she didn't answer her phone. So he rang Jeremiah, their close friend.

"Have you heard from Kara?" Ayaaz slipped into the back garden and sat on the step.

"Nah mate. She barely replies to my text. Why what's up?" Jeremiah sensed a tension in Ayaaz's voice. After years of pursuing Kara, she was a slippery eel and never gave him an opportunity.

"Shit's hit the fan here." Ayaaz stood to his feet now weighing the enormity of the issue.

"You know Kara has a mystery rich man?" Ayaaz asked.

"Yeh. That bastard bought a Maseruti for her. She was all over it."

Ayaaz recalled Khizar's new car. It was him. "Well, guess who Kara's mystery man is?"

"Who? Who?" Jeremiah jumped to his feet eager to find out.

"Amirah's dad."

"Fuck off!" He replied in disbelief.

"Amirah saw them together in his bedroom and shot through and came here. Now her dad is saying due to a misunderstanding she threw herself at him."

Jeremiah paused in reflection allowing a moment for the information to settle and then it clicked. "Nah. He's talking crap 'cos he's been caught with his pants down. Check her Instagram account. She posted a screen shot of a text message. He gave her the green light."

Ayaaz flicked through his phone logging onto his Instagram account. A stream of photos filled his phone of Kara dressed up, shoes, handbags, jewellery, holding man's hand who wore cufflinks and an Rolex watch. The stream of pictures only grew more personal and intimate when she showed the petals sprinkled on the bed, the red candles, the lace stockings and roses with the hashtags: #Romance#MyMan#RosesRRed#ShowHimAGoodTime#InsaneLove#ForeverLove#MysteriousMan

"Fuck man!" Ayaaz chuckled with laughter running his hands through his hair reading the post. Kara was obsessed.

"Give him a high five from me." Jeremiah chuckled. "The blokes a fuckin' legend to pull a chick like Kara!"

It was when Ayaaz's saw a screen shot of Kara's messages with Khizar he learned the truth.

'Lonesome....'

'Is that an offer?'

'When the need arises.'

Ayaaz's eyes dilated in shock. Amirah was right. When Ayaaz joined the family in the lounge, Khizar sternly denied having anything to do with Kara.

"You sent her some texts." Ayaaz announced to Khizar's anger.

"What text?!" Khizar yelled his face reddened with anger. Kara screamed the same words over and over and he couldn't think straight. Ayaaz showed the mobile to Khizar but Khizar couldn't see anything wrong with the message. Amirah snatched the mobile and read the text messages, screwing her nose in disgust.

"That's revolting dad! You invited her for kisses and hugs?!"

"What?!" Khizar turned to Mahnoor in shock. "I didn't send her kisses and hugs!" His eyebrows bunched together in confusion. He took out his phone to check the messages. He read and re-read every text message he sent and checked for grammatical and spelling errors. He made sure he didn't say anything out of the ordinary to her. So how on earth could he have sent hugs and kisses? How on earth could she have misconstrued the message?

"She sent a picture before that! You need to see the full picture" He took out his mobile and showed it to her. "Here!"

But Amirah wasn't convinced. The text's clearly displayed kisses and hugs in the short cut of OXO; her dad simply missed out the first X.

"What, have I said to initiate it? Did I say something wrong here?" Khizar gave his mobile to Mahnoor in hope that she would explain it to him.

Silence fell around her.

They all watched her face waiting for her deliberation as she went through the stream of texts. The judgement was in her hands. Did Kara misinterpret the text? Or did Khizar give her invite her for 'hugs and kisses?'

"Seriously?" Mahnoor raised her eyebrow and looked at Khizar.

He held his breath waiting for her deliberation. "That's a mortal sin." She commented as he his face reddened. "Oxo? I didn't take you as the cheating kind. And I do hope you meant the vegetarian flavour." Her tone dripped with sarcasm.

He sighed with relief that she understood. "Thank you!" He sighed rubbing his temples. "Someone who understands me." He sat down in relief. "And yes, I will take THIS punishment." 

Ayaaz and Amirah looked at their parents like they were talking in tongues; a foreign language. What were they talking about? Why was Mahnoor jibing him?

"Mum! What on earth are you talking about?"

"I'm sorry Ayaaz, but I don't see the hugs and kisses. Where exactly is that written?" Mahnoor handed the mobile to Ayaaz.

"There!" He pointed. "The x's and O's. "They mean hugs and kisses."

Mahnoor looked from Ayaaz's young, modern and short cut language and it was understandable how Kara misinterpreted the text messages. However, Mahnoor interpreted the messages in Khizar's understanding Being the same age and of the same calibre, it was clear as day.

"That picture there-" Mahnoor pointed. "Kara was making a bowl of soup. So Amirah's dad replied, 'someone needs OXO.' " Mahnoor paused waiting for Ayaaz to comprehend. But Ayaaz was none the wiser.

"OXO? Don't you kids know?" Mahnoor turned to Amirah. "It's a brand of stock cubes. Khizar was clearly discussing the contents of Kara's soup and how she required a cube of stock called OXO."

Amirah mulled over the interpretation looking at her dad who sat back allowing Mahnoor to explain.

"Amirah, I am not sure if your dad is coherent with the emojis and text short cuts, but personally to me-" She pressed her hand on her chest. "- he was talking about the brand name OXO, not inviting her for kisses and hugs."

A few letters here and there, mistaken and taken in the wrong light turned everything upside down.

Khizar approached Amirah and sat her down. He kneeled in front of her and explained further. "Kara asked if I was offering her a bowl of soup. I was being chivalrous and said the offer is open when she wants to have some company. That's all. It was a platonic exchange." He stressed. "You know I am against emoticons and letters. I don't reply to Soniya's messages when she types in code and misses out vowels."

Amirah mulled over his version of events. It seemed plausible and there was sincerity in his exchange. "What happened tonight?"

"I returned home to exactly what you saw. I told her to leave and she began to cry and harangued me about the text. That's when you saw us. Princess, I would never do anything to hurt you. You come first." He swallowed holding onto her hands. "For your sake I didn't marry despite the pressure from your daadi-ma. She saw it as a competition with your mum, if Nadiya could get a younger man, why couldn't I? But I am beyond that immature mind frame. For me, you girls take priority. I don't want anyone to come between us. You're all I want and need."

Mahnoor watched in awe as Khizar kneed in front of his daughter and implored for understanding. Holding her hands in his, there was sincerity in his tone. When he brushed her hair back, there was truth in his actions. As he lifted her chin to meet her eyes, there was immense love emanating from his eyes. His white sticky shirt clung to the contour of his shoulder blades. The rain gave his jet black hair a glossy shine. Mahnoor spotted a dimple on his chin. Did he have it before? Or had she noticed just now?

"Mum-" Called Ayaaz. "Mum?"

"Yes?" Mahnoor shook her head prising her eyeS off Khizar. "Your tea. It's gone cold." He held the redundant cup of cold liquid in front of her.

"It's okay. I'll make a fresh pot." She pressed her palm on her burning cheeks shaking off the peculiar feeling that seized her.

"Did you give her a key?" Khizar asked Amirah.

"No dad. I have mine." She fished for the key out of her pocket.

"She must have copied a set."

Finally, Khizar calmed Amirah. "I'm sorry dad. I guess I saw you two and I just-"

Once the confusion cleared, Mahnoor made everyone a cup of tea and they moved swiftly onto the issue of wedding preparations. Leaning her head on her father's chest, she sat beside him left to ponder Kara's actions. How long did Kara have her eye on her father? Amirah thought back to the dinners, sleepovers and trips aboard with Kara and suddenly everything had a new meaning.

Did Kara initiate friendship to get close to dad?

Ayaaz met her distressed eyes whilst they parents talked. He held her gaze and gave her a warm smile, mouthing.

'Don't worry.'

Kara betrayed her. How could she trust her again?

The ping of Ayaaz's mobile snatched the conversation back to Kara. Events took a turn for the worse with Jeremiah text.

Jeremiah: KARA'S TOPPED HERSELF! CHECK HER INSTA! JESUS CHRIST!

There, Kara posted a picture of an empty bottle of pills followed by the hasthtags; #InsaneLove#DieFour#LoveYouForver. It was clear from the pictures that Kara took pills and was attempting suicide. Ayaaz's eyes jolted open

"Amirah where is Kara? I think she's taken a bottle of pills."

Abandoning their hot cups of tea, Khizar shot to his feet and jumped in his car with Amirah and Mahnoor. Ayaaz stayed behind to lock up. From the car, Khizar phoned for an ambulance whilst breaking speed limits and taking advantage of his sports car's top speed.

***
Back in the apartment, Amirah called out to Kara but there was an eerie silence. Flames extinguished, the candles dotted around the apartment like an abandoned pathetic sign of passion. A stuffy smell of candle wax and floral oils stifled the air.

In Khizar's bedroom, Kara lay on the floor beside the bed dressed in Khizar's shirt with her busty cleavage spilling out. Khizar lunged towards her and kneeled on the floor lifting her head.

"Kara!" He shook her. "Kara!" He lightly smacked her cheeks forcing her to wake up. Beside her was an empty bottle of sleeping pills taken from his bathroom cabinet. Khizar held Kara in his arms as she slurred her words, shutting her eyes in and out of conscious.

Around the bedroom, Mahnoor sighted petals scattered on Khizar's king size bed. On the bedside table was a set of smaller silver pots with oil and an extinguished flare. Kara, planned the night of seduction with meticulous detail. The scent of sandalwood which possessed an aphrodisiac property lolled in the air.

"She needs to stay awake! Kara!" Khizar held her face shaking her. Kara threw her arms around him and tilted her head back.

"Don't leave me-" She slurred saliva dripping from the corner of her mouth.

"Get me a glass of water." Khizar called out. "Kara! Listen to me-how much have you taken? Talk to me!" He shook her.

Amirah returned with a glass of water which Khizar threw it on her face making her gasp. "Sort yourself out kid!" He shook her. "Wake up!"

"Amirah-" Mahnoor reached out for her arm. "Go find her a pair of trousers." She sent Amirah away knowing it would be difficult to watch half naked Kara in Khizar's arms. Khizar slipped his arm under her Kara's waist and her knees and placed her on his bed. He couldn't let her fall into slumber.

Moments later, Ayaaz knocked on the front door and Amirah rushed to open holding a pair of grey jogging pants.

"Is she okay?" Ayaaz stepped inside.

"She's taken a bottle of dad's sleeping pills. She's half conscious."

Ayaaz stepped forward to make his way into the bedroom. Amirah held him back, "Don't go into the room. She's hardly got any clothes on." She warned him. "Go outside and wait for the ambulance."

Amirah returned with her grey jogging pants. Both women pulled on the pants covering her legs. Khizar stood back, his hands clasped behind his head astounded how matters went out of hand. The moment was surreal.  

Moments later, Ayaaz returned with paramedics closely behind. The paramedics made their way into the room and Khizar professionally briefed the handover.  

"This is Karimah, aged 23 OD'd. Taken 10-15 Temazepam in last hour or so. Slurred speech, semi conscious. GCS 9." He briefed the paramedics.

"Are you a doctor?" The first paramedic asked.

He shook his head. "OrthopedicConsultant . QE."

"Karimah!" Called out the first paramedic. "My name is Malcom and I'm a paramedic. Can you hear me?"

Kara slurred a reply.

Once the paramedics stabilised her they transferred her onto a stretcher and took her into the ambulance. Amirah jumped into the ambulance without a second thought. Ayaaz and Mahnoor stood watching the ambulance disappear from view as the blue lights flashed. Khizar stood visibly distressed his hands clasped behind his head.

"Go with her please. Make sure she's okay." Khizar told Mahnoor.

"I'll let you know how she is getting on." Mahnoor replied, thinking he was talking about Kara.

"Who?"

"Kara."

"No. I'm talking about my daughter. Take her home." He paused. "Do you blame me?" He stopped her and grabbed her arm "Mahnoor. You think it's my fault she took the pills." 

He was mortified. If something happened to her, it would be his fault. Khizar ran his hand over his face in distress and made his way back inside.

"I didn't say that, Khizar." Mahnoor called out to him.

Khizar shook his head in disbelief and kicked the pebble on the ground.

"Mum! Let's go!" Ayaaz called from the car.

Reluctantly, Mahnoor left distraught Khizar. His defeated face, bowed head troubled her. She worried about Kara. The girl was truly imbalanced. Would she be okay? And why did Khizar take ownership for the tragic turn of events? Kara was of sound mind. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

137K 7.6K 46
A journey of Two people who were broken. Ahil Raza & Hoorain Ahmad Kabhi kabhi humara guzra hua kal humare ane wale kal ko bhi khaa jata he. Hume...
2.3K 282 31
"Do you care anything for me, Maryam?" He asked, his eyes were looking into mine so deeply and earnestly that I just can't bring myself to look away...
361K 7.3K 17
"Ahad please..." I gazed at his eyes. They were the deepest that I had ever found. My emotions scurried away towards a more tightening grip in my thr...