The Miner's Girl

By Angelnico1e

Parker Schnabel. Nicole Forrest. What happens when you move back to where you came from after seven years? Wh... More

Introduction
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Our Cabin Photos
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106

Chapter 40

224 3 2
By Angelnico1e

(((February 7, 2016)))
Nicole's POV
It is now Sunday morning, and we are all ready to get on a plane to go see Grandma and Grandpa in California. Payson is planning on driving there from Vegas tonight. Parker, Hannah, and I are getting on a plane at 1:00.

It is chaotic this morning. We all put off packing until the last minute. Hannah is packing, while she has her phone to her ear talking to Payson. Parker and I can't get much of anything done because we get distracted with playing with each other. The dogs bark and run around the house, playing. I'm almost positive that we're going to forget something.

"You can't take me down, Schnabel." I said as I looked up at Parker. Somehow we had gotten into a conversation of who would win in a fight.

"Yes, I can, Nicole Elizabeth." He smiled down. He's about a foot taller than me; I'm 5'3", he's 6'2". I was standing on my tiptoes trying to make myself taller.

"No, you can't. You can't hit a girl." I said seriously. I was going to win this conversation.

"No....but I can tickle one!" He said as he threw me on the bed and started tickling me.

"Ah! No! Parker! Stop!" I yelled through the laughs.

"Say I win!" He chuckled as he got on top of me and tickled me.

"No!" I laughed. "Hannah! Help!"

Hannah came running into the room, but stopped and laughed at the doorway. "You nuts." She laughed. "I thought something was wrong. Payson, they are laying on the bed and Parker is tickling the life outta her." She said into the phone.

"Hannah! Put the phone down and help me!" I laughed.

"You better not, Hannah. I'll tickle both of you." Parker said.

Hannah snapped a picture of us playing on the bed together with my Polaroid. Then she set the phone down and jumped on Parker's back. He threw her off his back onto the bed, and started tickling us each with one hand. But, he couldn't keep us both down with one hand. I grabbed his arm, and Hannah grabbed his other arm. We threw him off the bed and ran into the living room, laughing. Parker wasn't far behind though. He started tickling me again until I finally gave in and said that he won.

"You did get away, though. You did good, babe." He said, out of breath, as he gave me a hug.

"That wasn't fair. You know where I'm ticklish." I smiled, equally out of breath.

"You weirdos need to finish packing. It's almost time to go." Hannah said as she walked down the hall.

"She's right. We still have to drop the dogs off."
***
We were in sunny California by 4:00, after three and half hours or so of plane riding. Luckily, I seriously doubt that we forgot anything, because Hannah and I checked everything at least ten times before we left. We landed, got all our luggage, and walked out to the rental car that Parker had arranged.

"Okay, so where's the car or truck or whatever?" I asked as we were standing in the parking lot.

"Right here." Parker said as he walked up to a Chevrolet Tahoe.

We drove to the hospital right the start with, after we stopped by a fast food restaurant and got something to eat. We were at the hospital around 5:00.

We all three walked into the San Leandro Hospital, Parker holding my hand as we walked. Parker and I walked up to the desk, while Hannah waited for us.

"John Schnabel's room number, please." Parker said to the desk lady.

"I have to see if he's accepting visitors." She said as she picked up the phone. "Name?"

"Parker Schnabel, his grandson."

The woman talked into the phone for a minute. Then she hung up the phone and said, "Room 54. I'll show you to it."

"Thank you, ma'am." Parker said as we turned and walked away.

"Come on, Hannah." I said as we walked by. Hannah walked behind us while sipping on her drink.

We started walking down the hallway, passing doctors, nurses, and patients. We finally found the room and walked in to see Grandpa laying in the hospital bed with Grandma sitting beside him. They both looked up at us and smiled.

"Parker!" Grandpa smiled as Parker walked over with a big smile on his face to hug him.

"Hey, Grandpa." He smiled as he hugged him and kissed him on the cheek.

"Nicole!" He smiled again as he saw me.

I smiled and leaned over to give him a hug. "Hey, Grandpa." I kissed him on the cheek. "How you feeling?"

Grandpa talked as Parker and I hugged Grandma. Grandma was doing a lot better, and now she just stays with Grandpa in his room. "Well, the doctor said that I was going into surgery tomorrow morning. I can't move my leg, however."

"Now or when you get the surgery?" Parker asked as he pulled up a chair for us to sit in.

"Now. It feels numb. And they said that I might not be able to move it for a few days after the surgery." Grandpa explained.

"Well, hopefully you'll be able to walk again soon, huh, Grandpa?" Parker smiled.

"I certainly hope so."

The doctor then came in the room.

"Well, I see you have some visitors, Mr. Schnabel." The doctor said.

"Yes, I certainly do. My grandchildren." Grandpa smiled.

"Doctor, could you tell us what's going on with Grandpa's leg?" I asked.

"Well, there is a series of hardened arteries that are blocking the blood from adequately getting into his foot. The blood can't circulate, therefore it feels numb. Fortunately, the problem can be fixed with surgery in his leg, and we don't have to amputate his foot." The doctor explained.

"Is it a long surgery or...?" I asked.

"Well, we have to cut basically from his thigh down to his foot." The doctor said.

"That much?" Parker asked.

"I'm afraid so." The doctor said. "However, he should be able to move the leg within a few days of the surgery."

"How long until he can walk again?" Parker asked.

"Well, he will probably need some physical therapy for his leg. He'll have to stay somewhere where he can recover."

Parker looked at me. "Thanks for the information, Doctor." Parker said.

The doctor then talked to Grandpa and Grandma for a little while.
***
Payson was at the hospital by 9:00 that night, and he walked in the room while we were all talking. Mom had went back home to Haines by that time; she had to go back to work and would be back for Grandpa's birthday. She trusted the four of us to look after our grandparents.

Payson greeted everyone, he was especially happy to see Grandma and Grandpa. We told him about the surgery, and we talked about Grandpa's birthday. Grandpa told us stories, and we all sat around and listened to every word. We loved hearing his stories and his words of wisdom. Grandma got tired around 9:30, and we all said good night to her as she headed down the hall to her room. Grandpa kissed her good night before she left.

Around 10:30, the nurse came in while Parker was telling Grandpa something about the new mining season.

"Mr. Schnabel, the doctor said that you need some rest before your surgery tomorrow morning."

"Yes, yes. Just let my grandson tell me this before he leaves." Grandpa said.

I smiled as Parker continued talking.

"We're leaving in about five minutes." I said to the nurse.

"That's fine." She smiled as she made sure Grandpa was doing fine.

About ten minutes later, we finally started saying our goodbyes to Grandpa, with hugs, kisses, and "I love you"s.

"Bye bye." Grandpa smiled as we all walked out.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

763K 20.6K 76
မင်းဟာ လူသားတွေကိုကယ်တင်နေတဲ့ဆရာဝန်မလေးပေမယ့်ကိုယ့်အတွက်တော့ အချစ်တွေကုသပေးမယ့် အချစ်ဒေါက်တာမလေးပါ..... #စဝ်ခ...
797K 29.5K 97
𝐀 𝐒𝐌𝐀𝐋𝐋 𝐅𝐀𝐂𝐓: you are going to die. does this worry you? ❪ tua s1 ⎯⎯⎯ 4 ❫ © 𝙵𝙸𝚅𝙴𝙷𝚇𝚁𝙶𝚁𝙴𝙴𝚅𝙴𝚂...
1.5M 35.1K 60
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that. -Completed-
1.4M 32.3K 60
In which Daniel Ricciardo accidentally adds a stranger into his F1 group chat instead of Carlos Sainz.