I Stumble, Then Fall

By AKAASHI

[Sawamura Daichi/Sugawara Koushi] The nightmare Koushi feared the most appeared. It was a slow, painful, real... More

but i can't help falling in love with you
i should've bought you flowers and held your hand
hold me in your arms
acceptance
"daichi"
facing the truth (end)

acquaintance

101 4 4
By AKAASHI

"Done! I'm finally...done..." Suga exhaled in relief, running his hand through his slightly dampened hair. He leaned back against his chair. Why did he decide to finish marking everyone's work today? Is he a masochist? No, he was planning on sleeping early and drinking some warm, delicious tea before going to bed. Oh, and maybe hogging the bathtub for himself.

His mind decided to make himself work instead.

Moniwa pats his back. "You should be really proud of yourself for assessing each and every one of those art-works. How many students do you have again?"

"Around thirty ..."

"Yeah, you deserve a break. Let's go to that ramen place nearby, they put extra seaweed on my ramen because I'm a regular!"

Moniwa pressed a cold drink against his cheek and Suga squawks at the sudden coldness. He took the drink from Moniwa. "Don't do that, it's freezing!"

The black-haired laughed by his side, opening his own drink. "That's the point."

Moniwa has been by Suga's side since they first met at the university. Both had realized that one was from Karasuno and the other one was from Datekou. They recognized each other's faces and sat right beside each other inside the classroom.

Suga was sitting alone that time (even though the whole room was packed and there were barely any seats left, he still considered himself a loner). Moniwa came late for his first class and decided to sneak in, and Sugawara decided to help him out by calling out for him while pointing at the available seat close to him.

Sugawara recognized someone from Johzenji (it's their manager, he thinks) but he chose to ignore her. She was already hanging out with her own group of friends, anyways.

It's been a couple of years since that happened, and the inner rivalry was buried deep in their minds. Well, with the exception of volleyball, of course.

"I was really looking forward to sleeping, you know." Suga complies, but he stands up anyways. He loves teaching and all. He loves seeing his students grow out of their shell, showing off their newfound talents under their skins. Though, when it comes to midterms where everyone is cramming their asses off, it could be hectic.

"But it's the weekend tomorrow and you can sleep in all you want~ and besides! It's my treat!" Moniwa exclaimed.

Suga raised his eyebrows and smirked with other intentions in mind. "You're awfully giddy today. Did something happen?"

Moniwa hummed, thinking. "Hm, nothing, really. You just really, really//, deserve a break after all// of this hard work."

Sugawara eyed him suspiciously, but doesn't pry. If Moniwa wanted to tell him whatever's happening, then he will. Suga can wait. "Okay, then. Let's go."

They arrived at their destination right away. It was really close by the school he teaches at (it feels weird saying that in his head when he's still a student-teacher) that they only had to walk a kilometer.

It looked more of a ramen place instead of a restaurant. It was a small place with four round tables and one long one attached to the wall that sits in front of the cook. They both sat down in front of the chef and ordered.

A phone started to ring. It's Moniwa's. "Hello? Yes, this is Kaname Moniwa speaking... No worries, sir, I understand. I'll come right away."

Moniwa hung up his phone call and looked at Suga, regret in his eyes. "Suga..."

"Don't look at me like that," Suga chuckled, shooing him away. "You stood me up, but that's fine. You'll just have to treat me next time."

Moniwa frowned, his bottom lip caught between his teeth. "Okay. I'll clean our apartment for a week, too. Sorry, Suga, I know that you could've used this time to sleep instead of—"

Suga shook his head. "I'm fine, I'm fine. Just go already! Tell me what's going on later."

This time, Moniwa's frown turned into a smile. His eyebrows were still furrowed, but nonetheless, it was a nice, fond look on his face. He quickly grabbed his stuff and exits the restaurant. "Don't get drunk on sake//!"

Suga ponders if he ordered sake in the first place.

--

Suga orders another bottle of sake. Wait, how many bottles has he drank? Not that it matters. He doesn't consider himself a lightweight.

He remembers using sake as substitute for water. Why did he do that again? He doesn't know.

He feels so groggy that he could sleep right then and there. His tongue feels so heavy against his mouth, and his throat feels like it's on fire. Sugawara poured himself another shot.

Then he remembers about the salty ramen. No ramen has ever tasted so salty in his life. He could complain about it, but he chose not to. He didn't want to offend the cook. Oh, how kind can he get?

A gush of wind passed by and the seat next to him squeaks. Huh, didn't Moniwa—

"Yo, Karasuno's vice-captain!" The voice greeted, poking his cheek. "You're drooling quite a bit right now."

Suga's eyes snapped open, his mouth snapped closed. He wipes his drool from his lips using his sleeves and later regrets what he's done. That was so unsanitary.

He was drooling yet his throat felt so dry...

Hold on a sec. So, the whole sake thing was a dream? Was he dreaming this whole time, what the hell?

Suga forgot all about the ramen in front of him. Aw damn, it's not even steaming hot anymore...

"Ehem," The voice who greeted him a while ago spoke again.

Wha—"Captain Neko!" Suga squints. Why is he here? "Why are you here?"

Kuroo looks offended, his hand raised on his chest. "Am I not allowed in here?"

Sugawara shakes his head, "Uhm, wait, no! I didn't mean the shaking head part—I mean, like! Aren't you supposed to be in Tokyo?"

"Pfft, you're so cute when you're flustered!" Kuroo comments, and Suga gave him his best innocent glare. Kuroo laughs. "The company I work at built another one of their branch here, so I'll be the one managing that."

Suga gapes. "That's impressive! Let's celebrate with some alcohol." Suga calls for two bottles of sake.

Kuroo follows with his other order of ramen. "Hahah, thanks, man. So, what's up? How's life?"

Suga took a mouthful of noodles before answering Kuroo. "Oh, you know, it's almost midterms and everyone in my class are cramming their asses of to get their projects done, making me cram with my studies, too. It's so damn hard to be a teacher sometimes."

This time, Kuroo gapes momentarily. "A teacher? That's so like you."

Suga chuckles, his hand covering his mouth. "What, because I'm charming and, oh, so loving, teacher-material?"

"That's a bonus, yeah," Kuroo smirks, shamelessly flirting now. "But I know that you're one of the biggest support on your former volleyball team, hence being the vice-captain. Even though you're not on the first line-ups, I can tell why you're chosen for the title.

You're good at supporting your juniors. I'm pretty sure it's the same even though your students are, like, twenty years younger than you."

"Oh? And why did it seem like I'm a pre-school teacher?" Suga snaps back, hiding his embarrassed blush using his confident attitude.

"Ah, well, that one was a guess since you're very //dad-material// after all."

Suga turns beat red and chokes on his own spit. Kuroo doubles over, maniacally laughing at his suffering.

"YOU DID NOT JUST—"

"YES, YES I DID."

"—A DADDY JOKE—OUT OF ALL THE THINGS YOU CAN SAY."

"I expected the reaction to be great, but it turns out to be priceless."

"I hate you already."

The laughter dies down and Suga eats is ramen out of annoyance. That choke took a toll on him, and Kuroo didn't even give a single shit to at least get him some water. That jerk.

"Speaking of daddies" Kuroo slyly says, earning a groan from Suga. "How's your love—"

A shatter of glass interrupts Kuroo's sentence, leaving Suga stunned.

The world is finally going along with him. He made peace with the gods. The subject he really doesn't want to talk about has been stopped.

Suga internally praises the gods. He made sure to make a mental of giving more offerings to the most recent temple he went to.

The waitress apologizes for the inconvenience, leaving everyone back to their normal state.

Suga asks a different question, fast. "So, what do you do, exactly?"

Kuroo raises a brow and hesitated, but continues to answer the question anyway. "'M mechanic. Pro at fixing cars," Kuroo raised his hand with a peace sign along with his unamused look on his face.

Suga can't help but imagine Kuroo shirtless and covered in oil mixed with sweat. Suga curses Kuroo inside his head for being too attractive. How can he manage to be so cool with his hair like that//?

"I can tell that you're literally insulting me inside your head right now. With your face like that, 'Mr. Refreshing' doesn't really suit you anymore."

Sugawara perks at the nickname. "Have you been hanging out with Oikawa?"

Kuroo shrugs. "Yeah, we went to the same uni for a year, then he decided to go pro. We're still buddies."

The grey-haired nods. There are probably a lot of students attending Tokyo's universities, he figured.

Two humongous/ bottles of sake that is probably as tall as his forearm and as wide as his hand, was placed in front of them along with Kuroo's ramen. The waitress who dropped those plates earlier smiled, "Enjoy!"

The former volleyball players gave their thanks while eyeing the sake. Kuroo whistled at the sight.

"You chickening out?" Suga grins at Kuroo who returned back the mischievous smile.

"Nah bro, I'm down."

"Transportation?"

"Walking."

"My apartment is close by. You can drop there,"

"I was hoping, because I was supposed to get laid tonight."

"You mean you were here this whole time waiting for your date to come?"

"Hahaha, yeah. They suggested it."

"Welp!" Suga opened his bottle and poured the sake onto their glasses. "Let's cheers."

They both grin, ready to drink these bottles 'til their last drop. "Cheers."

--

Moniwa eyed his apartment door suspiciously. The door was slightly opened, and some awful loud snores were coming from inside. Moniwa pressed his whole back to the wall, carefully walking toward his home.

His heart was beating so fast. What if the burglar was still inside? It's not like he brings a pocket knife every day but he for sure will, now.

Oh, no, no, no, no, no. He cannot kill a man. HE can't even kill an ant without feeling bad.

Humans are unworthy compared to other living species on this planet, yes, but he can't just kill a person.

He wasn't ready for this. He was too young to die. His heart was beating so fast he can feel his breakfast rising up to his throat.

...fuck it.

As soon as he grabbed the handles, he pushed the door open with all his might, earning a loud yelp and strings of cursing from the other side of the door.

"Shit—fuck! That hurts more than a fucking stub on the toe." Suga, Moniwa's roommate, shouted. Moniwa was so relieved he could feel that he was to the point of fainting.

"Suga, you scared me, what the hell! Why was the door open—"

Another man was laid on the floor, carefully standing up. It was slow like he was looking at someone rising from the dead. He now looks at Moniwa, his face completely zombified.

"Shut. Up."

Silence. The whole apartment was silent except of his calming heart. He looked at Suga, who is, for your information, pantsless. He glanced at the other man with black hair and really scary eyes, topless.

He pieced the information together and—

"Oh my god, Sugawara Koushi, why did you get laid on my floor?!"

"We did NOT have sex, damn it!'

--

After a drink of warm tea, a scolding hot bath, and a ton of pain relievers (extra for Suga's overly dramatic leg pain "You're the one who hit me with a frickin' door!" "Well, sorry, I wouldn't be able to hit you if you weren't sleeping on the floor"), they finally have a proper conversation.

He's Kuroo Tetsuro, a mechanic of a car repair shop that recently opened in Miyagi. He was the same age as us. His obnoxious hair is his everyday style. He plays volleyball, and was the captain of his volleyball team. He says "nya" at the very end of his sentences. He's actually a cat.

Moniwa whispered to Suga, "He's tan and has good biceps. His hair is a little weird, but it will do. And, oh, wasn't he the captain of his volleyball team? Oh, I see where you're going, Sug—OW!"

"Don't even think about it, Moniwa. Don't."

***

Just to make things clear:

-there are three terms in japanese school years apparently(?). the first two terms are the ones that only have midterms, so this chapt happens around the first term (April-June) which makes the midterm happen during May!

-I actually don't know if they have student teachers in Japan, especially for extracurriculars like art class. In mangas they're shown as clubs, so it's not a mandatory subject

-but this is totes fiction! I don't know how japan's education system works so bear with me

update:

im scared that im trying to force myself to write this fic since its only supposed to be suga's angsty life? idk,,, lets see how this goes

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.6K 422 12
COMPLETE !!! tadashi develops a young crush on tsukki hoping to get with him and obsessing over him so much until he ends up getting too attached to...
2.1K 27 11
These are some Haikyu one shots and I except request on ships and stories lines! This is one of my first stories, so please tell me how to improve. A...
34.7K 873 13
Hinata is secretly in love with his setter, but Kageyama get's himself a girlfriend after another. So, Hinata has to protect Kageyama from getting h...
29.3K 1.1K 14
After meeting him in the library, Daichi can't help but see this grey haired Slytherin everywhere. And he's kinda cute... Suga is fighting his own de...