The Arkanist

Autorstwa JackPagliante

***Updated on Sundays*** The gods have died and the arkanists have been blamed. Ash and darkness cloak the l... Więcej

Prologue: A Hanging
Chapter One: Dying Light
Chapter Two: Woodhearth
Chapter Three: Beginnings
Chapter Four: The Faey
Chapter Five: Caelum Vinture
Chapter Six: Fury
Chapter Seven: Lessons
Chapter Eight: The Face of Shadow
Chapter Nine: A Place To Think
Chapter Ten: Interlude-White Flame
Chapter Eleven: Root and Flower
Chapter Twelve: Findings
Chapter Thirteen: The Bastard of Riveiar
Chapter Fourteen: The Hall of Lords
Chapter Fifteen: The Road Ahead
Chapter Sixteen: Interlude-Tough Times
Chapter Seventeen: Leaving
Chapter Eighteen: The Dangers of Asking
Chapter Nineteen: Crossing Roads
Chapter Twenty: Unwelcome Guests
Chapter Twenty-One: Interlude- Kingsmen
Chapter Twenty-Two: Interlude-Sleep
Chapter Twenty-Three: A Rift Between
Prologue
The Temple of Qvas
Ice and Fire
The Firesword
The Red Hand
Fire Everywhere
Ald-Rhenar
The Fallen
The Night's Inn
Hardbottle
Captive
The Knights of Night
The Divide
The Moon's Daughter
Ollor
Light
The Ways of Fire
Magic
The Sun King
Caeron
Anor the Great
The Garden of Bones
The Fire Within
The Felling
The City of Serpents
Iurn
The Lord of Spices
The Heart Sea
Names
The Grey Wind
The Broken Blade
The Endless Sea
The Hidden Fortress
Martem
Gallows End
The Black Ring
The Red Sky
The Aden
The Pyre
Black Flame
The Archives
Janos and the Moon
The City of Exiles
The Dream
The World
Thieves, Heretics, and Outlaws
The Arcane
The Son of Dreaher
The Blade That Was Lost
Appendix

Prelude

50.2K 731 161
Autorstwa JackPagliante

***Start of the First Draft...separate story to that of the chapters you may have read before this point***

Prelude

The sky was darkening. It had begun.

         The Ever Winter, the free folk were calling it. Word had spread quickly across the realm, riding on the waves of bitter winds swept cold over grey-grass fields. They spoke in hushed voices within their old granite inns, sharing stories and rumors over horns of ale and mead.

           As they talked, the skies drained grey as stone and the rain hardened into hail, and then snow. The crops shriveled in the frost while the farmers huddled by their roaring fires, cloaked in wool and furs. The lands froze under the dark grey cloud as it crept across the sky and the cities hoarded their provisions deep in their lower vaults and storehouses. The men died.

          It came like a torrent of ice in the height of summer. Down from the frigid reaches of the far north it howled, blanketing the realm in snow. The drifts climbed up stone and wood, blanketing road, wall, and direction. 

          Provisions kept cities alive, while the water made them perish. Lakes, streams, springs, rivers, and ponds had all been frozen solid after the fifth night of the Ever Winter. Seawater was the only other option, but soon, the Magisters, the great scholars of the realm, declared that even the great salt sea would be covered in ice and begin to shiver with the realm.

          Then came the ash. On a grey morning, the first flake trickled with the pearly white snow. It was a grim omen, a shadow amongst the white. More came. The Magisters imprisoned themselves in their studies high in frosted stone towers, reading scroll and lore book, until on the day that the ash fell hard as the snow, and tainted the white blanket grey, they appeared from their solitude. Their answer was more devastating than the Ever Winter itself. The gods were dead.

         From the dawn of time, the gods had held sway over the seasons in their sacred halls high in the clouds. They changed spring to summer, summer to autumn, and autumn to winter. Except winter had stayed. For a year now, the Ever Winter ruled the realm, killing hundreds. Mothers would smother their newborn babes to save them from the harsh life, a life they couldn't even support.

Nobody knew how long the winter would last, or if it would ever end. They feared the worst.

         They feared death.

         They feared life.

 Feel free to comment and VOTE! Or the Ever Winter shall take you too!

P.S. If you don't want it to, it doesn't have to take you. Free will ;)

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

3.3K 92 40
long ago, seven legendary gods of power were sealed away in magical instruments awaiting the day their chosen heirs found them. these gods are known...
123K 7.1K 47
THE DEAD DO NOT SPEAK. For years, I coexisted with the living, but my life has forever known death. As a clairvoyant, I wield a rare gift to communic...
20.9K 388 22
Ash Fault, a fifteen year old, trouble maker. His mother died of cancer, father abusive ever sense, gave up on the world. Eight years after his mot...
11K 121 22
paradox - a seemingly absurd or contradictory statement or proposition which when investigated may prove to be well founded or true "She's a bastard...