For the Best (MakoHaru)

By SakitheChibi

Haru's worst fear of losing Makoto came true when Makoto got a girlfriend. Haru realized that he loved Makoto... More

Chapter 1- Define Love
Chapter 2- Drop the -chan
Chapter 3- Comfort
Chapter 4- Friend-zoned
Chapter 5- Question Mark
Chapter 7- Night At Rin's
Chapter 8- Welcome to Ouran High
Chapter 9- Haru's Depression
Chapter 10- Can't you Understand?
Chapter 11- Heartbroken
Chapter 12- Hospital
Chapter 13- It's Over
Chapter 14- Happily Ever After
Author's Note

Chapter 6- Haru's Memories

3.8K 179 219
By SakitheChibi

I remember every year we'd go to the annual festival at our town. When middle school came around, we started holding hands, despite the many times I told Makoto not to. I remember Nagisa and Rei laughing at us when they saw us holding hands during the festival. Of course, we didn't care. I never put much thought to it, but perhaps Makoto did like me back then?

This year was the very first year I went by myself.

I remember every day, after school, after our swim club, Makoto and I would walk home, together. If it was really late, Makoto would wiggle his hand into mine. It was so comfortable, having Makoto hold my hand, especially when it was cold. And Makoto's voice, was so soothing. It made me so happy hearing it as we walked home together. Makoto loved talking to me, perhaps he loved me as well?

This year was the very first year I walked home myself.

Every year, as the weather abruptly changed from summer to winter, I caught a cold. Mostly because I couldn't understand why I couldn't continue swimming. Makoto was always there, taking care of me. He even skipped school, so he could watch me 24/7. It didn't have to be a cold, if I got a fever or some other sickness, Makoto was always there for me, cooking soup, giving me tissues, and of course, his encouraging words.

This year was the very first year I had to take care of myself.

I remember the hand that reached for me, that guided me upwards. That hand was always there for me, picking me up. The hand that pulled me from the water, back into reality. Everyday, Makoto's hand would give me his hand, helping me up. His hand was so warm and soft. Perhaps Makoto did love me?

This year was the first year I had to pull up myself.

This year, was the very first year I didn't have Makoto.

It made Haru realize how much Makoto meant to him. One year was one year too many, and Haru knew that he couldn't live the rest of his life without him. He had to do something.

He needed Makoto.

--

"Did you and Makoto get into a fight?" Rin snapped Haru out of his thoughts.

Haru opened his eyes, finding himself face to face with Rin, who was squatting next to the bed.

"The last time I saw Rin's bed this wet was when-" Gou remarked.

"NOT NOW." Rin blushed.

Haru touched the bed. This was the first time he had a good cry. Now that the memories were behind him, he felt a bit better.

"Here," Rin got up and tossed Haru a box of tissues.

Gou smiled and placed a hot bowl of soup on the nightstand.

"Th-anks..." Haru's voice cracked.

Haru picked up the tray and began drinking the bowl of soup. It tasted good...really good. Alas, the only thing Haru found delicious was mackerel, so it wasn't a surprise that it was mackerel soup.

"You'll feel better if you just tell me," Rin dabbed the tissues on Haru's cheeks.

Who knew Rin was such a caring person? Must have been influenced by Gou.

"Makoto got a girlfriend."

"What?!"

Haru took a pillow and stuffed it in his face.

"Haru..." Rin took the tray from Haru's lap. "I'm sorry."

Although Rin didn't know that Haru liked Makoto, he did know that relationships ended friendships. Rin knew that Makoto would slowly leave Haru, little by little, and sooner or later, they would no longer be the best friends that could read each other's minds. It must've already taken effect, seeing how Haru was so lonely and upset.

Rin crawled onto his bed, and embraced Haru. "I'll be here for you. You want to go swimming tomorrow?"

Haru didn't respond.

"You want to see Makoto?"

Yes.

Haru shook his head.

"Ignoring Makoto won't bring him back," Rin tried to comfort Haru. But of course, being the cold arrogant man he was, that was quite difficult.

In fact, it was quite frustrating. Rin didn't understand why Haru had to go to him, out of all people, for help. Although Rin and Haru were quite close, Makoto was the closest to him so why couldn't he...

Wait.

Rin WAS the closest person Haru could talk to in this situation. So, it was Rin's duty as a friend to comfort Haru.

"I'll phone Makoto and let him know that you're staying the night with me, okay?" Rin flipped open his phone.

That would make Makoto jealous, Haru thought. But, if he sees that I have other people, that might get him to make a move. I'm only doing this to get his attention, not because I like Rin.

"Hey, Makoto? Busy? It'll only take a minute...It's about Haru," Rin smirked. "Good good. He's staying over tonight."

Rin put the phone on speaker, so Haru could hear the conversation.

"Staying over, why?" Makoto asked.

"He's already comfy on my bed, isn't that right, Haru?"

Haru nodded. But of course,  Makoto couldn't see, or hear, that.

Makoto paused for a moment. "May I speak to Haru?"

"Sure," Rin handed Haru the phone.

"Haru, you're not doing this because you're mad at me, are you?" Makoto's voice had a hint of worry.

Not mad, just jealous, Haru would've said.

"No."

"Then why?"

"Because Haru's my bestie," Rin interrupted.

"Yea..." Haru whispered.

Perhaps Rin was onto something?

"You don't need Haru anymore," Rin continued. "You have a girlfriend, right?"

"Who told you-?"

"Haru isn't important in your life anymore."

Rin was definitely onto something. 

"Haru is VERY important." Makoto defended. "And I'm sorry if I upsetted Haru. Haru, you are my best friend, and nothing will change about that. Please, don't be mad at me."

Some ruffling was heard on the other side of the phone.

Rin raised his eyebrows suggestively. "I'm pretty sure Makoto likes you." 

"Even if he did like me, he wouldn't have the guts to break up with Haruhi. His feelings towards me doesn't matter. It's not fixed until he's single." Haru lowered his voice, since the phone call was still ongoing.

"Don't tell me your ga-"

"Hello?" A voice cried, on the other side of the phone. It wasn't Makoto's voice.

"Who's this?" Rin responded.

"She sounds like a boy to me," Another voice said.

"That's because I am a boy!" Rin growled.

"I just want to tell you one thing," The first voice said, "Don't you dare be worrying my daughter's boyfriend.  He's under enough stress already."

"You're Haruhi's dad?" Haru asked.

"Yes." The voice replied.

"No!" Yelled the few voices in the background.

"Biologically, no." Makoto's voice returned. "I'm sorry for confusing you, Haru, Rin. This is why I didn't want to bring you." 

"Aw! You should've brought them!" A baby-like voice cried.

Makoto chuckled. "I best be going. Bye!"

"Who is Makoto hanging out with," Rin asked, closing his phone. "And why does his girlfriend have a non-blood-related 'daddy'?"

Haru shrugged.

Makoto's obviously better off with me. Haruhi has a 'daddy', and other crazy friends. I don't want Makoto to get badly influenced. I don't want him to turn into something that's not to my liking.

"You're staying tonight, right?"

Haru, with nothing else to do, nodded. Besides, Rin had a pool.

And if you know Haru, he loves pools.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

45.5K 1.7K 23
After graduation, Makoto and Haru move into Tokyo, together. A sequel to the series, Free! Eternal Summer, For the Future is about how Makoto and Har...
8.9K 243 9
When Makoto finds out about Rin's feelings towards Haru, out comes the true Makoto. He gives Rin the challenge to see who can win in a race for Haru...
424K 14.5K 52
(F/N) recently moved to Iwatobi from the USA. She moved there because of her dads job but her dad started living back in America because there was mo...
10.1K 236 20
[DISCONTINUED] A/N: Not y'all still reading this in 2022- New student? Check. Not-so-rich girl? Check. Hates wearing giant yellow dresses? Check. We...