The Voice

By elliejeon

I wake up one day with an ability to hear other people's minds. How will this power change my life? This is... More

The Voice

258 19 6
By elliejeon

I wake up to the familiar but never pleasant sound of my cellphone vibrating on my desk.

It's 7:30am.

I tap on the snooze button and fall into deep sleep again... and again until the screen shows it's 8:40am. Now I really need to get up.

I roll out of my warmed cotton sheets and force my eyes to open, just enough to get a blurry glimpse of the path to the washroom. Jeannie has left for work already. I'm reminded of how lucky I am to have a roommate whom I barely run into. She's gone by the time I get up; she's already deep asleep when I come home at night, as I spend most of my evenings at the climbing gym or my boyfriend's house. Not that I don't want to run into her or anything.

I head out, lock the door, throw the rotten-shrimp-smelling garbage down the chute, and press the button with the arrow pointing down until and wait. Soon, the elevator doors slide open with a ding. I see a man with an old Golden Retriever is standing in the corner. I take a quick glance at him and realize I've seen him several times near the condo entrance, walking his dog. I remember because the dog smelled awful, like he hasn't been given a bath for years. Then sudeenly, I hear a man's voice in my head, "I hope she doesn't notice my dog stinks."

"Sorry?"

I ask as I turn around to see the man, thinking, why is he saying this out loud? Did I unconsciously frown at the smell?

"What? Sorry?"

The man responds with confusion in his eyes.

Then I hear the voice again.

"What is she talking about? Is she talking to me? Is she talking someone on the phone?"

I am startled.

I am looking staight at the man's face and his lips have not moved a bit.

Who is talking to me? Where is this voice coming from?

There is only me and this man in this elevator.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9M 106K 89
Daksh singh chauhan - the crowned prince and future king of Jodhpur is a multi billionaire and the CEO of Ratore group. He is highly honored and resp...
137K 4.3K 39
When Diya was forced into the marriage,she knew she had stepped into the lion's den. ~A 27 year old teacher ,content with anything she gets in life ~...
997K 53.6K 58
𝐒𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐋𝐨𝐯𝐞〢𝐁𝐲 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 〈𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐤 1〉 𝑶𝒑𝒑𝒐𝒔𝒊𝒕𝒆𝒔 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒇𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒐 𝒂𝒕𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒄𝒕 ✰|| 𝑺𝒕𝒆𝒍𝒍𝒂 𝑴�...
773K 21.4K 60
"Real lifeမှာ စကေးကြမ်းလွန်းတဲ့ စနိုက်ကြော်ဆိုတာမရှိဘူး ပျော်ဝင်သွားတဲ့ယောကျာ်းဆိုတာပဲရှိတယ်" "ခေါင်းလေးပဲညိတ်ပေး Bae မင်းငြီးငွေ့ရလောက်အောင်အထိ ငါချ...