Truth Comes Second

By masonfitzzy

A sequel to Family Comes First by Mason FitzGibbon After Carrie telling the detectives about the abuse Tommy... More

A Quick Stop
In The Hospital
The Gas Station
Interview and Tears
A Hideout
A Cigarette and a Beer
An Uncertain Future
Make Or Break Us
Out Of Options
Looking Back
The Photographs
One Step Closer
The Clean Up
The Letters
Sending Him Off
The Visitor
The Move In
Think About It
A Few Secrets
While I Sleep
Released
Home Sweet Home
A Rattle
Reunion
A Little Help
*Author's Note*
Only Gets Worse
Lies
What Is Mine
Be Safe
Pushed Around
Identification
She's Not Home
A Bloody Discovery
More To Know
A Change of Plans
In The Truck
The Walk Over
Author's Note
In The Hotel
Him Before Me
Had To Be Done
The End

In Need of a Plan

120K 5.1K 4.4K
By masonfitzzy

Author's Note: Avoiding the impending doom of midterms by writing instead. Hope you all enjoy!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Julie's POV:

I could barely focus during breakfast. Anytime Carrie got up from the table to retrieve something from the fridge or off of the counter, I panicked that she would be heading to my room. It was irrational, but I couldn't shake the idea from my mind. If she knew that Jimmy was in her apartment, she'd call the police in a heartbeat before she'd give me the chance to explain. Jimmy wasn't the problem, Tommy was.

I tried to help Carrie clean up breakfast, but she didn't let me.

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"Yeah, go rest up," she said. "I know you must be tired."

"Thank you."

I picked Hunter up out of his highchair and slowly made my way over to my room. I opened up my bedroom door a crack before I slipped in. Jimmy was lying across my bed. He had on his jeans, but he hadn't put his sweater on yet. A silver chain was shining around his neck. A key was dangling on the end.

Old habits die hard, I thought

I sank down in the bed next to him. He snaked his arm around my wait and kissed my temple. I shifted Hunter's weight in my arms so that he was resting comfortably. Jimmy pick up a stuffed monkey, one of the many stuffed animals that Carrie bought Hunter, off of my night stand and handed it to Hunter. Hunter's tiny hands reached out and grabbed the plush toy before he let out a giggle.

"I haven't heard him laugh before," Jimmy whispered to me.

"He started last month," I told him. "It's really cute."

"I feel like I've missed so much."

"You don't have to miss anymore."

Jimmy rested his cheek against the top of my head. We sat in silence before he said anything, but I didn't care. I was in bed with my family. I never thought this was going to happen again.

"I honestly don't know what to do, Julie," he said.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"It seems like every cop is looking for Tommy and I. It's too dangerous for us to be together. I don't want you losing Hunter."

"Jimmy, I don't want to lose you either."

"Carrie's going to catch me if I keep coming here."

I bit down onto my cheeks. My stomach felt like it was twisting itself into a knot. It was a miracle that Jimmy found me, and I was not going to let him leave.

"Give this thing a month, two months at the most," I told Jimmy. "Everyone will forget what happened. No one will be looking for you. We would just need to find a place to live."

"I have a place," he said. "That's where Tommy and I are staying."

"I don't want to be near Tommy."

"And I don't want Tommy near you. I'll think of something to do."

"You could kill him."

Jimmy's grip around my waist tightened. I look up at him to see him chewing on his bottom lip. He let out a deep breath through his nose and ran his fingers through his hair. It had grown longer than I was used to and it was almost touching his shoulders.

"I'm going to have to," he said. "He's my brother, but I have to keep my girl and my son safe. I know Dad would agree."

"He's proud of Jimmy," I said.

"You really think so?" He gave me a faint smile.

"Yes."

Jimmy leaned down and gave me a kiss.

"What are we going to do about Carrie?" I asked.

"What about her?"

"She really wanted me to move in. I can't just randomly disappear. She'll send the cops out looking for me."

"You want to kill her?"

"No."

As much as I hated Carrie for tearing apart our family, I didn't want her dead. I can't blame her for being scared of that house. She was Tommy's girl. The thought of that send a shiver up my spine.

"If she gets killed you and Tommy will be the prime suspects," I said. "I need to think of something."

"We have all day to think of something. I can't leave until it's dark out."

"I don't want you to go."

"I'm sorry, sweetheart." He pressed his lips against the top of my head. "I promise I'll be back soon."

There was a faint knock on the door. I jumped out of bed and hissed in pain as soon my foot touched the ground. I looked over my shoulder at Jimmy and he slid off of the side of the bed so that he was hiding behind it. I'm glad he did because before I got over to the door Carrie opened it up.

"Hey," she said. "Sorry, but Detective Cameron is here with Detective Hopkins."

"Why are they here?"

"I'm not sure. They want to talk to both of us."

My heart was pounding in my chest. It was bad enough that Jimmy was in this apartment while Carrie was home, but now two detectives were here. I prayed that they wouldn't search the apartment.

"Let me put Hunter down first," I told her. "I'll be out in a second."

"No problem," Carrie said. "I'll tell them you'll be out soon."

Carrie spun around on her heels and walked down the hallway. I poked my head out of the doorway. I couldn't see anyone, but I could hear them talking. I looked back into my room to see Jimmy peering over the edge of the bed.

"You need to hide," I told him. "I'll tell you when they leave."

"Need this?" Jimmy asked picking up the baby monitor.

I shook my head and he tossed it over to me. "Thanks."

Jimmy smiled before disappearing behind the bed again. I closed my door before I brought Hunter to his crib. I fiddled with the baby monitor in my hands while I walked to the living room.

Cameron was sitting on the edge of a recliner chair with a notebook in his hands. Hopkins was in the chair beside him. Her dark hair was twisted back into a bun, and she had her legs crossed under a grey skirt that made her look even older than she was. Carrie was on the couch across from them. They all looked up at me when they heard me dragging myself into the room.

"Juliet, I thought you had a wheelchair," Cameron said.

"I do, but I don't like it," I said.

"Can you take a seat next to Carrie?" Hopkins asked.

She flipped on the tape recorder and set it down on the glass coffee table between us. I sat down next to Carrie. She flashed me a smile before looking back at Cameron.

"What's this about?" I asked.

"A new issue has possibly arisen in the case and we need to address it," Hopkins said.

"What is it?" Carrie asked.

"Juliet, you did all of the cooking while you were in that house, correct?" Cameron asked.

"Yes."

"We have a few questions about that."

Carrie looked back over at me. Her brows were furrowed together. A wave of nausea hit me. She was confused, but I knew exactly what was going on.

Theyknew about the meat. ab$?Qk

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19K 1K 20
Jin, an Accountant who lost a job and applied to Han Corp. only to find the Man who will ruin his life, who he met at the Bar One night. Taehyung th...
1.6K 651 50
In a land ravaged by war, fairy Aria and enemy soldier Leo are forced into an uneasy alliance. Bound by fate, they must navigate treacherous landscap...
344K 26.5K 104
While being chased by her abusive boyfriend, Lyla turns the tables, shoving him into the path of an oncoming car. But rather than calling the police...
90.7K 8.8K 48
A driverless bus, carrying a group of cursed individuals, journeys to a sinister black villa...   Inside the villa, there's a door stained crimson w...