The Trailokya Trilogy, Book O...

由 KellyWilliams701

My gift to my fellow Wattpaders. The first part of the series will be here indefinitely. Also housing the com... 更多

TTB1:TTS Book Trailer #1
TTB1: TTS Book Trailer #2
Descent
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
More to come...

Chapter 20

61 5 0
由 KellyWilliams701

THE SHRILL RING OF A TELEPHONE woke Dominic from a long black fall. He rolled over and rubbed his eyes. A television babbled on the other side of the room. The late evening light streamed through the window, and though it was pale and weak, it made his eyes squint. He hadn't pulled the curtains over his window and from beyond the panes he could see that the sky was still platinum with rain clouds. The telephone rang again. He fumbled across the nightstand to pick it up. Dragging the receiver to his ear, the television remote fell to the floor. The cord was short and dragged the telephone toward him. It bumped the lamp, nearly toppling it. He quickly sat up and caught the objects before they fell and broke. With a heavy sigh he drawled a tired hello into the mouthpiece.

"Hello there, handsome." The waitress's voice sounded hollow across the line. "Ferries are running. Better hurry up, they said they may shut down again."

"Thank you," Dominic said, trying to sit up.

As he set the receiver back in the cradle, he pushed the blankets the rest of the way off his legs and rose from the bed. He grabbed his pack and looked around the room. Lena was nowhere to be seen. The waitress's words echoed in his ears. He had no time to look for her. Slinging his pack on his shoulder, he left.

Once he'd checked out of the small inn, Dominic made his way toward the ferry docks again. The same woman stared along the cliffs. He asked for a ticket, casting his gaze about for his guardian. She was still absent. The young woman gave him his ticket and returned to her staring contest with the cliffs. Dominic made his way to the docked boat that would carry him to France. He soon stood in line, smashed up with other passengers ready to board. Suddenly he saw the girl standing at his hip, a faint and translucent ghost. With a grimace, he looked over the heads of the other passengers. He wished they were alone so he could warn her.

At last, the passengers boarded. Wandering along the wet deck, he made his way toward the back. Few people appeared interested in the seats still facing the port; they were probably more interested in where they were going than where they'd been. Either way, it made for a chance to explain that he was losing his sight.

"Where have you been?" Dominic asked the girl.

"Right beside you," Lena replied.

"I fell asleep," Dominic said, worried. He looked at the docks and graygreen water.

"I know." Lena sat down.

Lena sounded dismayed. Dominic cast a sidelong glance to see if she looked concerned. He hadn't slept much since his last lifetime. He usually didn't need sleep. Having sent him there in mortal form had had dire consequences, some still yet to manifest themselves. What if he collapsed from exhaustion when Maiel needed him most?

"Your form is becoming stronger—mortal. It's making it harder to reveal myself to you. The sight'll leave you, the more flesh you take on," Lena added.

"So you're saying I'm either getting fat or our time grows thin," Dominic said, turning and sitting down.

Passengers wandered closer. He didn't have much time to clearly understand the consequences.

"You should stay at the front, where the most people are," Lena advised.

"I'd rather stay away from them," Dominic said, taking the atlas back out and looking over the many faces of the Earth over the years.

"I sense a shadow," Lena said, staring at him.

"Even more reason. I want to see the knife coming at me. Can't do that in a crowd."

Lena stared at him hard.

Dominic sighed and put the book back in his bag. She wasn't about to let him ignore her. Her eyes bored into him like hot augers. Dragging his bag after him, he made his way toward the bow of the ferry. The horn blew and the crew made the last preparations for the crossing. He paused a moment, noticing their strange traits: long sallow faces with ragged teeth. One smiled at him and he nodded in return, continuing on. It was a passing thought, paranoia.

The front of the boat wasn't nearly as packed as the line had let on. He supposed that the passengers were spread about different levels. Finding a seat, he put down his bag and tried to relax. Lena joined him, taking the empty seat between him and a mother of four. He felt the girl's stare. Crossing his arms, he shut his eyes, and decided to meditate until they reached the opposite shore. He didn't want to talk, even if it didn't really matter what the other passengers thought of him. The fact that his sight was leaving him worried him a great deal more. A little focus might help keep what was left.

Dominic watched the light play on the inside of his lids. Lena pressed against his arm, her small hand resting on his elbow. Reaching deeper into his own mind, he stretched toward the energy-renewing nothingness. The effort felt slow, inhibited, like swimming in a muddy bog. Slogging through the barrier, he drew on the strength to fill the void growing inside him. The light behind his eyes went dim and slowly faded to black. The next sight he saw was a long corridor. The plaster walls glowed with pale blue light from an open door too many strides away. He pushed toward it, but the door slammed shut. He stood watching it, the light streaming from the cracks. His heart pounded in his ears. A face flashed before his eyes and Dominic jumped back, startled. The hall was empty, but his eyes hunted for it. The air buzzed like electricity. A crackling sound shattered the silence and the face appeared again, this time attached to a full form. It flickered in and out, but he was able to make out most of the features. The long white hair and hollow eyes reminded him of something he was unable to put a name to. The silence returned and the figure glowered at him. The deathly expression shifted. Whoever it was made it clear that he was aware. The figure smiled, then threateningly laughed.

Dominic's body propelled backward, as if he ran from the nightmare. He wondered if he had accidentally fallen asleep again. He tried to open his eyes, but was afraid to turn his gaze from the figure before him. Then he realized he was locked in. His mind and body were paralyzed by sleep or fear.

Finally forcing his eyes open, Dominic drew a long gasping breath. He blinked, trying to focus on his surroundings. Night had fallen and the boat was lit with cold green-white lamps. The other passengers were gone. Coming quickly to his senses he scanned the area, turning this way and that. Suddenly he caught sight of Lena beside the rail. Her black wings were spread wide as she watched the sea. She slowly turned and her gaze went past him.

"I should've gone another way," Dominic said, wiping his face.

Dominic blinked and Lena's gaze was normal once more, but she stood at his knee, having moved rather quickly from the rail to him.

"There was no other way—no safe way," Lena told him.

Dominic watched her, waiting for her eyes to roll over gray. He wiped his mouth, trying to gather his senses. She looked solid again. At least his meditation worked as he had hoped. He wondered how long it would take, though. Lena sat beside him.

"Where'd everyone go?"

"Who?"

Dominic twisted around in his seat to see the empty deck. It should've been obvious who he meant. He laughed a little and returned to his small guardian. She stared ahead at nothing in particular. Her short legs swung back and forth. She reminded him of someone, and not Callidora.

"I can see you better now."

"Oh. What do you see?"

Dominic watched her profile. Something wasn't right, and it was more than just the missing passengers. A light smell wafted across his nose on the breeze, a smell like a blown-out match. The nerves along his spine pulsed. Sitting quite still, he tried to think through his next move.

"In this light?" Dominic said, trying to make a joke to distract whoever it was who sat beside him.

Lena's face slowly turned toward him again, but the wrong way, twisting up her neck like a screw. The flicker of a shadow crossed her features. Her black eyes blinked and the gray washed over them again. Dominic held himself as still as possible. A thousand panicked thoughts scrambled his senses. He swallowed as the flame responded. He clamped it down and stilled his mind, pretending he didn't notice.

"Did you think you could just walk to her?" Lena's voice blasted at him, sounding like three or four very angry people.

Dominic held his position. The sword was in the pack behind him, unreachable. A slow smile spread on the lips of the shadowalker. It was in his head, at least the part that took on flesh, picking at his brain. He shut it out, showing his teeth in a disgusted snarl.

"We can't let that happen. Boats sink. Planes crash," the shadowalker continued.

"I didn't figure you would," Dominic found his voice.

The shadowalker laughed, turning away. Dominic took the chance, snatching up his pack and putting distance between them. When he turned back, no one was in the seats. He stood alone, listening to the sound of the engines. Finding the hilt of his sword, he pulled it free and swung the pack on his back. Tightening the straps, he knew he was about to face a fight. Without the few things they had afforded him, this battle would be too easily won by their enemies.

Dominic examined the space, not so sure he was alone. Carefully stepping toward the center aisle, he felt the air cool and grow heavy. The night sky beyond the windows was clear, with twinkling stars and a slice of moon. The water stretched for miles in any direction. They should have been docked in France by then. Dominic made his way to the last place he had seen Lena. The seats were empty there too. He turned and a crewmember walked by, eyeing him coldly. A twisted grin opened the man's mouth, displaying his gray teeth. A pinpoint of light shone in his dead, black eyes.

"Dominic!" he heard his name cried. It echoed off the metal and fiber boat.

Startled by the sudden sound, he turned back. A leather-clad man with pale skin held the little girl to him. The danava's pasty hand clamped across her mouth so she couldn't speak. Terror rose in his heart. This man was familiar to him. Flashes of his memory bubbled up. The pain in his throat burned like an inferno. He looked to where he'd left the double. A mudeater sat in her place; a mangled torso with chattering teeth.

"Take your time, ape," the man hissed.

"Morgentus," Dominic breathed.

"There now. See. You're not as slow as they think." Morgentus smiled.

"Let her go," Dominic said.

"And have her call her friends?" He shook his head.

"What do you want?"

"What does anyone want? Help accomplishing their ends. I've come for you, because you can help me accomplish my ends."

"I won't help you do anything," Dominic said.

"Accomplish," he repeated the word, disliking Dominic's choice. It didn't emphasize Dominic's failures enough. "You already have. Why stop now?"

He grinned, when the human stood dumbfounded.

Dominic's eyes switched from Morgentus's to Lena and back. The girl trembled with terror, tears streaming from her eyes. He felt her plea in his heart.

"Stop that now, pigeon. I can snap your neck and make things very painful for you," Morgentus warned Lena.

Lena's small hands grasped his arms, trying to pry herself free. She cried, fighting for each breath.

Dominic saw his daughters in the child guide. Her struggle fed the flame in his gut and he embraced it. The flicker ran down his limbs and he grasped his sword at the ready.

"You're nearly there," Morgentus said to him.

The baron's sattva responded in kind, eyes blackening over and dark veins swelling.

Dominic hesitated as red dots formed on his skin. Blood.

"Tricks won't save you from me," Morgentus continued.

The shade cocked his head toward the sea. In the moonlight, a great hulk arched its back just above the waves. Dominic hoped it was a whale trailing the ferry, but something told him that was a foolish idea. How the baron was able to convince the prince of the Domdaniel to serve him was the real trick.

"Poor little monkey. You never should have crawled out of your tree to play with the big kids," Morgentus said, laughing.

"Humans didn't cause your pain, Morgentus. You did this to yourself. You broke laws and you did it to my people."

"Because of you. Had I been given the crimson bride I deserved, none of this would have happened. We each should have been given the mates we deserved. Don't you agree?" Morgentus said, dangerously close to losing his composure.

"I have the only mate I was ever destined for, and you had yours until you betrayed her," Dominic said.

"Really? You think you were destined for her. Don't you ever wonder why she never raised a finger to help you in all the years you tried to rise?"

Dominic raised an eyebrow, fighting the acid fire filling his mouth. Maiel had always struggled to help him. His mind flickered. Or had she struggled for a reason to bother?

"Because she belonged to another," Morgentus said, regaining his attention.

Morgentus gave a slow smile, seeing the tears that glistened in Dominic's eyes. Speaking his suspicions aloud made quick work of the defenses he'd built. It wasn't Morgentus she was destined for. Dominic raised his sword, refusing to think more of it. The baron only meant to weaken him.

"You'll regret saying that. She doesn't belong to him. He doesn't deserve her," Dominic warned.

"Gediel? No, not Gediel, you buffoon. Maiel is my bride," Morgentus said.

They stared at one another and Dominic felt his senses return to him. Morgentus's poison lost its hold. He lied from delusions. Dominic grit his teeth, disgusted he'd dared believe Maiel was hewn from the same stone as the abomination that rested in his decaying core. But it was too late now. He had embraced the fire to defend her and the child. His gut twisted, threatening to empty on the ferry deck.

"She's mine. Her destiny is to fall and reign as the mistress of my labyrinth," Morgentus said.

"And what do you plan for the other mistress?" a voice challenged.

Morgentus's eyes switched from Dominic to the passage behind him.

"Let the child go," Dominic heard as he turned.

Magiel stepped from the shadows, hands twined at her waist. She looked more serious than when he told a joke and she refused to laugh at the punchline. Dominic was never so grateful to see her.

"Lightwalker!" Morgentus hissed.

The shade shoved Lena aside and lunged for the elder erela. She may have been at the height of her incarnation, but she was not easy to wrestle down. Magiel was a svarg and barons were like puppies to her.

Certain the aunt could manage on her own, Dominic lowered his sword and ran to Lena. The child lay on the deck, gasping for breath. Her face was burned where the baron had touched her. Dominic picked her up and backed away from the deadly rivals.

Magiel flapped her great white wings and toppled the danava onto the deck of the ship. Morgentus scrambled backward, hissing and cursing her. Dominic made his way out of the room, hoping to protect Lena from the sight. It wasn't something a child of any kind should witness. In spite of his care, Dominic's back hit a barrier. He darted around to face it. The crew and passengers filled the passage and deck. Their hollow eyes peered at him. Each orb held the telltale point of light which revealed their damnation. Their expressionless faces looked forward, awaiting orders. Dominic held his breath, hoping they were simply possessed by the demon Magiel thrashed. Then the front crewman's expression shifted to a sneer. Corpses.

"Dominic," Lena whispered, clasping his shoulders tight.

"No worries, youngling," a familiar voice spoke from behind them.

Lena was grabbed out of his hands, but before Dominic could react, the horde called out their anger in a deafening chorus. To either side of him, he saw the gold armor of his former regiment. He looked to the leader, Rathiel, and to one of the squad sergeants, Athiel. Their faces had never held such appeal in all the days they'd served. A third from the Order of the Sun protected Lena between his armor and wing. She peered around his leg, unsure their numbers could match those of the corpses.

"Your commander's lost. Unless you want to find yourselves permanently dealt with, you will back down," Rathiel growled at them.

"Look at the canaries—how they sing, but can they sing underwater?" the crewman hissed.

"Have it your way," Athiel said.

The crewman eyed them. Dominic raised his sword. They were not likely to back off and the assault would be fast and wild. The crewman smirked. Then the horde disappeared in a heavy cloud of black smoke—a move he hadn't expected. The glass in the windows burst, cascading across the floor like glitter.

"Stand your ground," Rathiel ordered.

The ferry rocked, nearly jostling him off his feet. The others looked concerned with the sudden motion. Dissipating like fog under sunlight, the smoke took its exit and they each knew whatever struck the vessel was no frail foe. The horde merely provided a distraction until the prince got in place.

"Leviathan," the leader said, surprised.

"That vile shade ran away like a wounded deer," Magiel said, entering the space.

Dominic watched her stoic expression scan each of them.

"Why are you just standing there? Leviathan won't take pity on those who stand down," she said impatiently.

"He'll sink the boat," Lena said.

"Of course he will. I suggest you make your moves quickly. Regroup at the Sun Fortress," Magiel replied. She stood before them.

"You can't take me back. I'll find her," Dominic cried.

"I hadn't planned on it. I was speaking to them," Magiel said with a nod to his friends.

Magiel watched him for a silent moment, then disappeared in a wink of light as tentacles snaked in through the open windows. Rathiel grabbed hold of him. Before he could ask what they were doing, Athiel took his arm and quickly ran his dagger blade across Dominic's exposed forearm, making a deep gash.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Dominic demanded as he struggled against them.

"He'll follow us if he senses you've gone. Your blood will keep him here."

Athiel smiled. Dominic doubted he dealt with his friends any longer. His blood pooled on the deck. The tactic made sense, but what about the rest of the mission? A wound like this could lay him up for days. Rathiel clasped his fist over the wound.

"Let's get out of here before he realizes the trick."

Dominic opened his mouth to ask what they had planned, but was stunned to silence when he saw his wound healed to a mere welt. In the next moment, he gasped for air as he bobbed in the icy, rough water. Land formed a black barrier against the sky behind him, as he splashed about to get his bearings.

"Swim, Dominic," he heard Lena say. She was in the water, wiping her hair from her eyes.

Dominic grabbed her arm and pulled her to him. He told her to hang on and swam toward the lights in the distance. The water sapped the warmth from his body and the current took all his strength to fight. He hoped his blood on the deck of the ship would be enough to distract the greatest terror of Jahannam. Lena whispered in his ear, encouraging him forward. His limbs trembled as he fought against the black water. His eyes stung from the salt water. Memories of a similar beach landing haunted him.

In truth, the beach was too far to reach before Leviathan realized he'd been tricked. The water sloshed in Dominic's face, blotting out the lights that provided direction. He sputtered and blinked, but it made his eyes sting worse. He worked his arms, trying to swim faster. The choppy sea was unforgiving. Waves grew taller and more frequent, slapping him back and forth and making it hard to breathe. Dominic tried to look back to see if the danava found them. Lena whispered for him to keep going and not to look back.

The sound of the surf filled his ears. The beach was close. A flash lit the world before them, coming from where they left the boat. Leviathan held the boat high in the air. Massive tentacles twisted the ferry, trying to tear it apart. He saw three brilliant dots against the sky. The Sun duta still fought the hulking monster, distracting him while they escaped. Dominic turned back and swam harder. His arms burned, but his fear gave him the stamina to keep pushing. From behind, he heard the metal of the ferry's frame break. The ship was torn asunder and Leviathan pitched the two halves back and forth; he was angry at being cheated. Dominic watched the twisted wreck, black against the sky, shaken in all directions. Lights flickered on and off.

"Lena! Slide us now!"

"I can't."

"Do it now!"

"I can't," she cried, watching the beast tear the boat like foil.

"If you don't want to find out what drowning is like, do it now."

"I'm not strong enough to move us both," Lena told him.

"Are you strong enough not to be torn in two?"

A tentacle wavered in the air, then shot toward them.

Lena shut her eyes, squeezing the coat collar at the back of Dominic's neck.

"Do it now. I know you can!" Dominic said, just as he felt himself suddenly thrust forward.

A shrill cry rang in his ears and he felt the ground beneath his feet. He stood in a field just past the sand dunes of the beach. Lena clung to his back, slowly slipping down as she lost her grip. She wept quietly, afraid they had failed in their mission and become prisoners of the Domdaniel for eternity. Dominic stared into the dark, catching his breath. He grabbed her small hands and helped her to her feet. She blinked up at him and he smiled. Her eyes shown with a hot white ring. Kneeling down, he pulled her to him and kissed her head. Crushed against him, he felt her fill him with hope.

"Thank you," he said.

Lena buried her face in his shoulder and wept. Dominic watched the beast struggle in the channel, unable to get close enough to reach them without beaching himself in the shallows. Angry he'd lost his quarry, Leviathan pitched the pieces of the ferry toward the beach. They crashed on the land with a terrible sound.

The dots disappeared, arching across the sky like shooting stars. They were alone again. Dominic grabbed her hand. They couldn't wait around for more shadowalkers to find them. Cresting the dunes, he encouraged Lena with praise for her effort and searched for a road and their way.

* * *

Gediel approached the entrance of Walhall's smith shop. The wolves circled him in streams of light, falling in behind. Luthias stepped from the shadows, giving him a questioning gaze, but the primus was intent on the door. The door opened and Sephr filled the space, hands on hips. His dark gaze reflected the expressions of his visitors, as if he already knew what they were there for. Gediel whispered a few words close to the arms keeper's ear. Sephr's black mien grew even darker. He gave a sharp nod and stepped aside.

"Evocati," Gediel said, facing his new friend.

Luthias looked over his nose.

"Take a squad and be sure that Maxiel no longer haunts his halls. Belial promised he would fall this night. I want to know that he has. Report to me at the kapalanum in Otzar at sunrise."

Luthias looked between the svargs. His blue eyes were cold as stone. He gave a sharp nod and slid off to do as asked. Gediel was sure he would enjoy the assignment; time to avenge a friend's pain. In the meantime, Gediel would speak with Sephr alone.

"Do you need to make a report to Voil?" Sephr asked.

"Not yet. I'm not quite finished," Gediel said.

"If your commander doesn't miss you—come inside and rest for a while," Sephr said.

"I was hoping you would ask." Gediel grinned.

Gediel followed the broad-shouldered dux through the smithy and into the halls of Walhall, trailed by Chiron and his seconds. The larger svarg led the way to the kitchens. A few younglings busily straightened the pantry, with the help of an infant Lung whose blue scales had yet to harden and turn red. The infant was delighted by the wolves and wound about them, rubbing her lengthy body against their fur and nuzzling their muzzles. The pack gently tolerated the caresses, though she was already substantially strong.

Sephr dismissed the younglings to other duties, leaving him and Gediel with a warm fire and the dark room. They complied once they set down bowls of water for the wolves. Gediel sat at the heavy worktable, staring into the shadows. Sephr quietly pulled out two mugs of ale and set the giant cups on the table. Gediel opened and closed his fist, not indicating that he felt Sephr's stare. The other svarg raised his cup and drank. Gediel laughed weakly, coming back to the moment, and emptied the cup set before him.

"What else did you find in the ways?" Sephr asked.

"You said earlier that when you fit the younglings you get a sense of them, their destiny," Gediel said, setting the cup down.

Sephr looked at the empty cups, regretful. This matter would take a little more liquid courage than they were both accustomed to. Taking the cups back to the cask, he refilled them and returned.

"You also said you thought Captain Maiel was destined for a very different ketu," Gediel added, holding onto his cup.

"I did. I said both those things." Sephr smiled.

The watcher drank, but more slowly this time.

Sephr drew a deep breath and spoke again, "I thought she was destined for one ahead of her incarnation. It's an easy mistake to make."

"What if you weren't mistaken?"

"The ketu is made. I could hardly be mistaken." Sephr laughed into his cup.

"Have you ever been wrong before?"

Sephr shook his head.

"Naturally," Gediel said, baring his teeth. Chiron nudged his arm and whined, placing his head in Gediel's lap for comfort.

"The Astral can mess with your head; so can the shadow princes. Don't think on it, watcher. Belial simply read a passing thought and used it against you," Sephr said.

Gediel drank from his cup, then realized he would need the rest to speak again. He emptied the ale and rose to fill his cup. Sephr's gaze stuck to his back, seeing more than Gediel was comfortable with. His mind spun with a thousand questions and they all made him angrier. Chiron barked and cocked his head. He didn't think the drink necessary and Gediel just felt foolish for getting caught idealizing an old friend. If only the alpha leader understood, but he gathered that he did and refused to condemn him any more than his other friends would have.

"He knows your aryika's disgrace haunts you and thinks it a means to bring you to their level. They've wanted you since your birth. I don't blame them. If I had to choose anyone to fight beside, it would be you," Sephr said, trying to soothe him.

That wasn't what bothered him. He hadn't thought of his aryika for some time. It was others who brought him up. It was too dangerous to give that shade a thought. Walking back to the table, he exhaled and sat. He opened his mouth but found words still eluded him. Crossing his ankles under the table, he hunched up and returned to his cup. Between the astrals and Callidora, he forgot how to speak all over again. Chiron placed his paw on his lap. Gediel gave a scratch to his ears and tried to find cheer in the happy expression he got in return.

"This really bothers you. Take your time, lad," Sephr said.

"Belial called me—Grigori," Gediel began, but immediately stopped.

With that, Sephr poured another cup from the cask. When he returned to the table, Gediel finished his third cup. The effects reached his mind. His tongue finally loosened. He looked at Sephr, somewhat reluctant still. What he was about to say could damn him to his aryika's house in moments.

"I've been in love with her since she was a youngling," Gediel blurted. "I thought it would fade with her ketu, but it remained—as strong as the day I brought her Argus to the last time I saw her in the White City."

Sephr stared at him, his expression unchanged.

"That shouldn't be, but I can't right my mind or heart. I'm as treacherous as my aryika," Gediel said gnashing his teeth.

"It's only ever been obvious to those who watch you, watcher. But we're not to judge." Sephr said gently.

"Then why does Adonai not cast me out and get it over with?"

"There are things in the works that even I can't understand. Perhaps your test is to deny your love for her. The attraction will fade when you find the atman that's meant for you," Sephr said.

"I'm svargaduta and my destiny is to face my aryika in the final battle. All of the other svargs my age have found their ketu. I'm the only one."

"Not the only one. One of the few, maybe," Sephr replied with a grin.

"This is no time to make light of the situation. I can't go before the High Council and accuse Maxiel of betraying us when I myself betray Adonai."

"Why didn't you speak up to her sooner?" Sephr asked after a brief pause.

Gediel stared into his empty cup. That was the question that had bothered him since the day he'd left her Argus. A grimace twisted his features. Chiron rejoined his soldiers, sensing the conversation get tense and he would best serve at a distance.

"Who would dare walk up to Maiel and profess their undying devotion? She's known for being quite—protective."

"You were afraid of her? She was just a girl," Sephr asked laughing. He drank the rest of his ale. "A grown svarg afraid of a girl!" Sephr roared.

"Have you ever stood against her in battle? You forget, we were friends. I sparred with that red cat more than once. I feared for my very being if I spoke one wrong word. She'd think I was making fun of her."

"The females are all like that—especially in the Moon Order—but only against those they despise. I thought you were friends? You were scared of her, Gediel! Scared she would laugh at you—foolish boy," Sephr said.

"I can't help but think all this could have been avoided if I'd stayed and let  her catch me spying on her that day."

"It was too late even then. They had given her to him the evening before. Rest assured you're not the only one who struggled with that determination. It was wise of you to go to the wilds. Zion would have been torn asunder once more for breaking the sacred on behalf of the humans," Sephr told him.

"You knew?"

"I had my suspicions, but I was never made privy to the secret until Mikhael briefed me," Sephr said.

"What of Mikhael?"

"Let us say it was the first time he disagreed with the king. He loves that girl as his own child and fought hard to save her this fate—but Maxiel and his council spoke too convincingly and swayed the decision. I think Adonai knew, even then, what we faced, but he doesn't spare us the trials of our incarnations. If it were up to him and Mikhael, this would never have come to pass. Instead, he hoped Maxiel and Dominic could both overcome their shadows," Sephr replied.

"I sometimes wonder if he should allow us to be the arbiters of fate," Gediel said, staring at the table surface.

"It's the only way to find Nirvana. Are you hungry, my friend? You've been working hard and not taken any rest."

"That may be a good idea. I've a feeling this isn't over with Maxiel's exile. I won't leave her in Samsara. Dominic will have his chance, but I'll be there to make sure she does come home."

Sephr offered him a small smile. Gediel feared he had confessed too much. His head swam with the effects of the ale. He was already an outcast among them, due to a grave blemish in his family history. It wouldn't take much for them to banish him to Acheron and make the circle complete. He only hoped it was in fact his destiny to avenge his family line and take down his aryika, the traitor. Sephr set a steak before him with a board of bread. Gediel soon forgot his troubles in the comfort of food.

Gediel made his way back to the White City once he'd finished his meal. The food would keep him going without rest. The time to give his report had come, but it wouldn't be presented to his commander, Voil, or even Alex. Metatron awaited him for their prearranged appointment. A detour to Otzar was in order now that he had new information. He couldn't keep this from Alex any more than he could bar Metatron from examining his thoughts. Both might be dissuaded, but both would be made suspicious. Metatron would likely call off the mission once briefed, and then send Mikhael to fetch the captain, and Luthias to fetch her husband. His future conversation with Callidora and the others would need to be arranged much more carefully.

At least this information would end any bid to convict Maiel of burning. After all, their efforts put her in this situation and his knowing tied their hands. They faced a great embarrassment, in fact.  Regardless, once back in Zion, Maiel faced great hardship, a worse trial than that of the labyrinth or its master. Dominic's soul continued to decline, and at a pace decided by how far Morgentus's poison reached. If they could heal him, the effort would only serve to prolong the inevitable. His atman was created with an inclination to decline. How could they tell her that she was given to him to halt that decline, while her true ketu was thrown aside?

Gediel planned on returning to the borders to hide his shame until the time came to face his aryika. He would not tell Maiel a thing, but he imagined that Magiel or Alex eventually would. Even then, he was certain she wouldn't abandon the man. Despite everything, she somehow still loved him and her eye never strayed.

The walk through Otzar led Gediel not only to the heights where Alex held her vigil near the kapalanum, but closer to an inevitable destiny. The door opened and he entered into the dimness. Their eyes went to him. They looked worn and discouraged, if not accusing. Alex called his name and joined him. She took both his hands in hers and tried to smile.

"What did you find?"

The question dried his mouth and made his tongue stick. He struggled to form a single word. Then her expression shifted. Fear flickered across her eyes. He couldn't leave her wondering.

"Maxiel is burning, as you suspected," Gediel replied.

He ignored Alex's stare and went to the others who kept watch over Dominic's progress in the kapalanum.

"How does he fare?" Gediel asked. He looked in the kapalanum and saw Dominic walking along a dark country road. It was just as they had left him.

"Not much progress, I see."

"He's in France. Morgentus sent Leviathan to stop him, but our efforts are getting the better of them." Joel grinned.

Gediel nodded. The human still had one champion.

"You report to Metatron soon? My khata is about to return. You can go with her. While you wait, perhaps I could have a word," Alex said, recapturing his attention.

Gediel considered the meaning of her features. He wondered how much Alex knew. She'd been work in the background before this even came to pass. Her khata's constant criticism of the human drove her to prove Dominic worthy of her daughter. He read the lines in her face. What she ended up proving wasn't as intended. Dominic was the wrong man, but they were unable to question the king in such a decision. So many lies wove their ketu tighter, all to protect Dominic and delay his fated fall. Though Gediel saw he was caught in the middle of this terrible debacle, and though he wanted to fight those who convinced the king it was wise, something in his heart told him all would be well in the end. Fighting would only serve to exhaust him and waste everyone's time. Somehow inside him there was peace despite his cares. Gediel never witnessed the king and his cohorts acting without reason and he never saw anything turn out so badly, except for the Conflict—and even that was only half played out. Things would be righted, one way or another. He simply needed patience.

"Certainly," Gediel said, going to her.

Alex escorted him through the entrance and out a door that opened on a balcony overlooking the White City. The sky was brightening with the sunrise, a soft gold burning away the cobalt. He watched a Victorian balloon carry a pair of lovers over the city. A biplane disrupted the peace, sputtering into the rosy dawn. Some humans were so inspiring, he thought watching it go. His eyes trailed to the dark blue remaining. The moon was small, but large enough to remind him of what he couldn't get his hands on and why. He tapped the triangles on his left shoulder, finally able to relax for the moment. His armor returned to the penannular until it was needed.

"Was that all you learned? I assume you spoke with Cal," Alex said, stepping to the balustrade and peering over the city.

Gediel carefully approached her, suddenly feeling very boxed in. He wasn't sure how he wanted to answer her.

"You know what else I found, Alex," Gediel finally said.

Alex drew herself up, acknowledging the chastisement. Her hands gripped the balustrade tightly. She looked for her composure on the horizon, having failed to expect this reaction. Gediel hadn't expected to reply in such a manner either. The sight of the moon put him in a bitter temper.

"Why did you stand by and allow this to happen to your own daughter?"

"I accept you being angry with me. You should know this is why Mikhael and I sent you—but you forget our oath," Alex replied.

"Oath?"

Alex shut her eyes and gestured dismissively. That was no excuse and she knew it.

"I'm sorry, Gediel. This decision was made without me. You know I would never agree to such things," Alex said.

"You should've told her the moment you learned of this. You didn't need to mention me, but you should've told her the truth of her role," Gediel said.

"I didn't know until the incident of Acheron. Believe me, I confronted Mikhael on this heresy. He managed to silence my tongue until now," Alex admitted.

"Then you and Gragrafel sent for me?" Alex shook her head.

"Mikhael would do anything for my daughter. This has haunted him since the feast and he sought a way to help her escape the fate, but nothing ever manifested. When Dominic stood in his hall  demanding to be heard, he knew then the time had come," Alex explained.

They hid their plans from her as well. Gediel saw in her eyes that this was the truth. He ground his teeth and turned away. She was in pain after learning the truth and keeping the secret just a few short years. What good would it have done? Thousands of years had passed and Maiel adored her family. It would've only made her miserable and driven her deeper into Morgentus's clutches for having been betrayed by her king and commanders.

"Maiel will never turn her back on Adonai," Gediel breathed, closing his eyes.

"I forbid such thoughts. My daughter is pure," Alex crossly rasped.

A fire raged in his belly. Emotions that had been tamped down for too long now vied for attention all at once. Gediel flexed his fist, gathering his thoughts. He could feel the braid in his pocket,  uncomfortably warm. Settling his hand over it, he tried to focus on the moment and not his desire. He was not angry with Alex, but he was angry with himself for waiting too long to speak his mind.

"My apologies, Alex. In the end this is as much my fault as anyone's. I should've made my feelings known to her before they could do this." Gediel hung his head.

Leaning on the rail of the balcony, he kept his eyes shut and reordered his senses. He only hoped he could be so controlled in the presence of the High Council. He didn't have much time to gather himself before he would have to reveal the details of his journeys. Alex's hand was suddenly on his shoulder. Her soothing touch meant a great deal to him at the moment.

"I only pray I'm not lost for hatred of what they've done," Gediel murmured.

"Things will be put right from this. I only wish they had done something else and didn't create so much wrong in trying to help one wayward assign," Alex said.

"What of the children, Alex?" Gediel asked. Had anyone thought of the younglings in the outcome?

"They'll mend, as we all will."

Gediel straightened and opened his eyes to see the skyline. He held back the tears that he nearly cried for the children. He could feel a thrumming throughout his resonance. It was a sensation he was familiar with in battle, but he never felt it outside the field.

"Don't speak a word of this to them or my daughter. There's still hope and we must work to make that blossom. I'm so sorry, Gediel," Alex said.

Gediel shook his head. He grasped Alex's hand and gave it a squeeze.

"It'll be my honor to protect her family and in that my love will be expressed. I've wanted nothing more than to avenge my aryika's wrong. I'll be fulfilled when that has come to pass. This is all I ask for. Once he's gone from creation, everything else is nothing to me, but the happiness of my friends. May I be raised swiftly."

Alex raised his hand to her lips and kissed his glove. Tears stood in her eyes, for him and his fate. He smiled weakly and pressed her hand to his chest. He had existed this long without a mate and besides, could not envision one. He knew he would rise once he took down his aryika and all of this would be a distant memory. He only hoped it would remain in the past, of little matter to the Power he would eventually become.

The door of the balcony opened and Magiel appeared before them. Her severe expression was a welcome release from the emotions silencing them. Gediel nodded to Magiel. She looked well for one who had just faced the prince of the deep.

"If that'll be all, Alex," Gediel said in a rough voice.

The Wolf leader half bowed. Alex inclined her head and Gediel swiftly turned away. He followed Magiel and together they left the view of the city at dawn. Gediel tucked away his knowledge and the feelings it caused. It would do him no good and was thus useless. His hand slipped into his pocket. He held tightly onto the braid Callidora had lent him.

繼續閱讀

You'll Also Like

167K 10.5K 47
Elizabeth has been ruling her kingdom for 3 years now. She's gone through countless advisors in those 3 years. When she's finally ready to give up on...
29.2K 1.9K 79
Just read the book to know. This book is inspired by the book Enigmatic queen by @SuccessSmile. I have made a lot of changes in the story as then I...
55.1M 1.8M 66
Henley agrees to pretend to date millionaire Bennett Calloway for a fee, falling in love as she wonders - how is he involved in her brother's false c...
90.3M 2.9M 134
He was so close, his breath hit my lips. His eyes darted from my eyes to my lips. I stared intently, awaiting his next move. His lips fell near my ea...