The World Works in Wondrous W...

By xoopsxhi

"There's no such thing as love; it's just a trick of the human brain" Nick Evans is a prodigy. His brain proc... More

I
II
III
V

IV

50 7 6
By xoopsxhi

Alyssa pulled on Nick's arm, dragging him to a small, hole-in-the-wall coffee shop about two blocks from where they were supposed to turn. As he was pulled, he noticed Seaside Coffee Shop written above the door before the door closed softly behind them and Nick was enveloped in warm air, a wonderful contrast to the chilly breeze outside. Inside, soft music was playing quietly, its soft murmur strangely comforting. Nick took a look around as Alyssa released her grip on him.

The walls of the room were wooden and brown, and reminded Nick of the cabin he used to vacation to with his family during the winter. The strong scent of coffee filled his senses as he approached the small counter. Alongside the counter was a glass display of pastries and sandwiches, all looking freshly made and tasty.

He turned his head to the right to find Alyssa casually talking to the girl behind the counter.

"Do you come here often?" Nick asked, his attention turning back to the food.

Alyssa leaned on her arm as she responded, "That is, literally, the most over used pick up line ever." Nick raised an eyebrow, though he didn't turn away from the turkey sandwich he was staring at. He didn't eat lunch that day.

"Pick up line?" Nick asked, "What's that?"

"Well, uh, basically it's this thing guys say - or girls, you know, I'm not being sexist - when they try to ask someone out. But they're usually really bad. Like what you just said, people call it a pick up line, because you, you know, pick people up with it. Although, I never did understand why it's called picking someone up, you don't-" Alyssa explained.

"You're doing the thing again," Nick pointed out. His eyes had moved onto a chocolate croissant. Nick felt his stomach growl.

"What thing?" Alyssa asked, joining Nick in staring at the foods.

"Rambling. You're doing it again." Nick finally decided on his choice, looking up at the blonde girl who worked there. "I'll have one of those," he pointed at one of the precooked roast beef sandwiches, "and a coffee."

The blonde replied in a very chirpy voice, "Of course! Coming right up." Just as Alyssa said, "Oh, I am? Damn, I should really a stop that. Bad habit, sorry."

Nick ignored her as he rounded the corner of the counter, dragging his fingers along the surface, where the cash register was placed. The girl put his sandwich into an oven-like machine  to hear it and began brewing his coffee, before standing on the side of the counter opposite Nick.

"That would be six eighty-three." Nick handed her a ten dollar bill. "Three seventeen is your change, here is your receipt," she gave him his receipt, the change messily placed atop it, "and your order will be ready in about two minutes."

Nick took the sheets of paper and round pieces of metal from the girl, tucking them into his wallet neatly. He had just turned to walk away when he heard the girl clear her throat.

"You're welcome," she snapped from behind him. Nick rolled his eyes to himself and continued walking away, taking a seat the the table in the corner of the room. He saw Alyssa apologize to the girl before trailing after him.

"You know you're supposed to say thank you, right?" Alyssa sighed as she sat at the seat across from him. Nick shuffled through his bag, flicking through the neatly organized binders and folders, in search of his book.

"Supposed to, that doesn't mean it's mandatory. Thank you's are a simple courtesy that I do not need to be bothered with saying," he said, flipping through the pages to find the one he left off at, not bothering to look up at the girl staring down at him.

"But it's only common sense! Hasn't anyone ever taught you manners?" Alyssa protested.

"Just because you were taught something, doesn't mean you have to believe in it," Nick shot back. Alyssa huffed, but dropped the subject, slumping back in her seat with her arms crossed across her chest.

The girl behind the counter called out to them just as the only other couple of people walked out the door, the girl giggling at something her companion said. "Hey, Aly! Your boyfriend's order is ready."

"Oh, he's not-" she began, but Nick cut her off.

"I haven't the faintest interest in her, though I did notice someone who does," he said, still focusing intently on his book. The girl blushed fiercely, heat rising in her cheeks despite Nick not specifying with a name. "Get that for me," he told Alyssa.

It was more of an order than a request, so Alyssa replied with a sarcastic tone and a bow as she stood from her seat, "Why yes, sir, your wish is my command." Nick just rolled his eyes at the girl's childish action. She walked back to the counter and collected Nick's order, mumbling another apology to the store girl.

When she returned to the table and sat down, Nick looked up at her for the first time since he took out his book. "You're different," Nick said, his eyebrows furrowing. He held his book open with his left hand, his right hand keeping the pages from turning.

"What? Why?"Alyssa asked. She didn't seem to be doing anything but staring at him as he read.

"You're not as perky as you were this morning," Nick observed. "But, you're still annoying," he added quickly.

"Noted." Alyssa nodded her head. "And it's because, if you didn't notice, you're kind of a buzzkill."

"I don't mind." Nick shrugged, turning his attention back to his book.

"Yeah, but everyone else does. You're- how do I put this?- incredibly dull," Alyssa retorted.

"Your opinion is completely irrelevant to the entirety of the human race, so I will not make it a point to be offended by your remark," the boy responded to her rude point. Nick took a sip of coffee.

A silence had forced itself between the two teens. For Nick, it was amazing. He could finally read in peace and focus on his book. For Alyssa, it was awkward. Her phone had run out of charge, so she simply sat staring at the boy across from her.

Alyssa's eyes scanned his face as his eyes darted across the papers, eyes squinted through his glasses. The sleeves of Nick's oversized sweater fell just short of his fingertips, though he wasn't bothered by it. Alyssa noticed how a certain strand of hair would fall into his line of vision, and how his fingers would lightly push it back into place with a delicacy she had never seen a male posses.

Nick bit his lower lip, his eyebrows knit together in concentration. Alyssa smiled inwardly, admiring the boy's long lashes and beautiful green eyes, which contrasted, yet matched, hers perfectly. She watched as he took small sips of his coffee, and how he smiled ever so slightly at something that happened on his story.

"So, what book are you reading?" Alyssa asked, leaning forward on her elbows across the round table. Nick continued to read, but pulled the book up so it was vertical from the table. Alyssa was able to catch the title, To Kill A Mockingbird, from that angle before Nick returned it to its previous position. "Really? I read that a long time ago, maybe seventh grade? Why are you reading it now? Should you have read it so long ago?" Alyssa questioned.

"It's my nineteenth time reading it," Nick responded passively, flipping a page. Alyssa made a sound of embarrassment before slumping back into her seat again. Nick's phone rang from his pocket, causing him to sigh in annoyance and shut his book. He glanced at the caller ID before tapping the answer icon. "What do you want?" He asked into the speaker in an exasperated tone.

"We need you," the voice answered from the other end of the line. The man calling's voice sounded silky and deep, but raspy. It was quiet and muffled, like he was whispering.

"What is it?" Nick asked, though he could predict the answer already as he began stuffing his book back into his back. Alyssa was listening intently, eyes wide with curiosity.

"There's been another one; on the corner of 4th and Fremont Street. Come as soon as possible, we're completely stumped, and we have no one else to turn to," the other voice sighed. Nick grinned with excitement.

"I'll be there," Nick replied before he hung up the phone. He slung his bag over his shoulder and began walking out, Alyssa scurrying after him.

"Where are you going? Can I come? What are you doing? What happened?" Alyssa pleaded for answers, but Nick continued to walk out of the coffee shop. He heard Alyssa yell a goodbye to the coffee shop lady, who he found was called Beth, before walking in front of Nick to block his path. "What is happening? Why are you in such a good mood?" Alyssa asked again.

Nick simply smiled.

"Murder."

-

A/N :: I've actually been really excited to write the next part; this part I've been procrastinating on, sorry! I had to update before school starts (tomorrow someone stab me with a fork). Hope you guys enjoyed the chapter!

Thoughts on Alyssa's choice hang out? Thoughts on Nick in general?

Song recommendation :: The Only Difference Between Martyrdom and Suicide Is Press Coverage by Panic! at the Disco

If you enjoyed the chapter, please leave a comment or vote, I appreciate those very much (:

Thanks to everyone! I love al of you :3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

194K 5.3K 98
not you're average mafia brothers and sister story.. This is the story of Natasha Clark, an assassin, mafia boss, and most of all the long lost siste...
40.9K 1.8K 23
โ ๐ˆ ๐Š๐๐Ž๐– ๐‡๐Ž๐– ๐ˆ๐“ ๐…๐„๐„๐‹๐’ ๐๐„๐ˆ๐๐† ๐‹๐„๐…๐“ ๐๐˜ ๐˜๐Ž๐”๐‘๐’๐„๐‹๐… ๐ˆ๐ ๐“๐‡๐„ ๐‘๐€๐ˆ๐.. ๐–๐„ ๐€๐‹๐‹ ๐๐„๐„๐ƒ ๐’๐Ž๐Œ๐„๐Ž๐๐„ ๐“๐Ž ๐’๐“๐€...
98.8K 2.3K 22
๐šƒ๐š‘๐šŽ๐šข ๐šœ๐šŠ๐šข ๐š’๐š'๐šœ ๐š๐šŠ๐šŸ๐š˜๐š›๐š’๐š๐š’๐šœ๐š– , ๐š—๐šŠ๐š‘ ๐š๐š‘๐šŽ๐šœ๐šŽ ๐š๐š‘๐šŽ ๐š˜๐š—๐šŽ๐šœ ๐š’ ๐š•๐š˜๐šŸ๐šŽ ๐š๐š‘๐šŽ ๐š–๐š˜๐šœ๐š .. ๊จ„
65.9K 5.3K 32
๐‘จ๐’ˆ๐’‚๐’“ ๐’•๐’– ๐‘บ๐’‰๐’Š๐’— ๐’•๐’๐’‰ ๐’Ž๐’†๐’Š๐’ ๐‘บ๐’‰๐’‚๐’Œ๐’•๐’Š, ๐‘ป๐’– ๐‘น๐’‚๐’Ž ๐’•๐’๐’‰ ๐’Ž๐’†๐’Š๐’ ๐‘บ๐’Š๐’•๐’‚, ๐‘ป๐’– ๐‘ฒ๐’“๐’–๐’”๐’‰๐’ ๐’•๐’๐’‰ ๐’Ž๐’†๐’Š๐’ ๐‘น๐’‚๐’…๐’‰๐’‚ ๐’ƒ๐’‚๐’ ๐’‹๐’‚๏ฟฝ...