Ice Cold Love

By therubicscube

Talented swimmer Amelia Del Fava and ruthless hockey player Ronan Harding mix like water and oil when they fi... More

Note
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 24.5
Part 26
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29
Part 30
Part 31

Part 25

228 12 19
By therubicscube

warning: language

Ronan's POV

"What are you smiling at?"

I slammed my phone face down onto the bench as Mason leaned over my shoulder, trying to get a glimpse of what I was doing.

"Nothing," I muttered and bent down to undo my skates, beads of sweat sliding down my temple as I did. Today's practice was tough; Coach worked us extra hard, the way he always did before a big game. Tomorrow's game was important, and winning with a good lead was essential to qualify the team through to the next stage.

After Conner's temporary suspension, things had settled down. My teammates finally seemed to accept me as their captain, none of them showed any open opposition to it, and in truth, they had no reason to. Coach Daniels managed almost everything, leaving me to shoulder a lighter than air burden. The boys didn't have anything to complain about since I wasn't doing much to begin with.

The most I'd done was instruct a few practice drills when Coach needed to leave early, and in one game I was left to choose the shifts in the last period while Coach Daniels took an interview; even then I didn't change anything and just gave the players whatever insights and encouragement I could before they skated off.

Mason stepped around me and tried to grab my phone. I already anticipated that he would try something of the likes and snatched it back before he could get a better grip on the device. The grin he shot me was taunting.

"If it was nothing, why'd you react like that?" he questioned, an eyebrow quirked knowingly. I tried to school my features, but my hands twitched, wanting to give him a shove. He knew exactly what I was doing, he just wanted to annoy me for the sake of his entertainment.

"Like what?" I asked and glared, daring him to elaborate.

His returning smirk was somewhat provoking, but he waved a hand in surrender. "Never mind that," he sighed as he took his usual seat on the bench opposite me, "When are you planning on asking her out?"

The sudden question had me at a loss for words, and my hesitation warped Mason's features into incredulity. "Don't even try to tell me you don't like her, you dimwit. You've spent all week doing nothing but text her and smile at your phone like an idiot."

"It's not like-"

"Shut up Ronan, it absolutely is like that. You're an absolute dumbo if you're still in denial. And you wanna know something?" Mason leaned forward, not bothering to wait for me to reply, and whispered, "If you're not going to make your move, someone else will. So, get your head out the bloody gutter and do something, yeah?"

As if the universe wanted to further emphasise Mason's point, my phone vibrated. I didn't need to check it to know that it was a message from Amelia; we'd been in the middle of a conversation before Mason decided to hand out his words of wisdom.

"I can't believe I'm saying this, but he's right," Hunter called from further down the row of lockers. I hadn't even realised that he was there, or that he'd heard anything. "Seriously, you too?!" I asked him and threw my hands up.

"We're doing you a favour, buddy. Thank us later," Hunter claimed solemnly and gave me a small smile as he finished packing his things. I realised then that I, on the other hand, was still in my damp kit and should probably change. Regardless, I picked up my phone to check Amelia's messages.

A: 3 classes down, 1 to go

A: worst til last though, let's see if I kill Professor Gill this time

Today she was having one of her long days, the ones that where she was constantly running around. She had told me all about how much she hated Professor Gill, so I wouldn't be surprised if one of these days, she snapped at him up and down. It was amusing to imagine the scene, and I dwelled on the though a few moments before Mason interrupted. Again.

"You see?!" he burst out, an accusing finger pointed in my direction at he faced Hunter, "You see that?! I've been dealing with his sappy ass all week."

"Oh, can it, will you?" I scoffed at him as I typed out a message.

R: call me when you need to bury the body

I caught the time on the screen and jumped up. I was supposed to pick Isabelle up for a sleepover today, and there was something I wanted to do before I left.

I started peeling off my sweat drenched kit, not wanting to be late. Hunter cleared his throat before saying, "Ah, Ron? Can we talk a minute?"

The smile from his face was gone when I turned around. Mason and Hunter both seemed tense, a doubtful look passing between them, and I immediately knew something was wrong.

"What's wrong?" I asked plainly, not wanting them to beat around the bush. They were both quiet for a few moments as they stared each other down, and I realised they were silently battling on who would tell me. Eventually, Hunter lost and turned back to me with a grimace.

"We thought it would be better not to tell you at first," Hunter scratched his jaw, a sign that he was anxious, "But we realised that that would only do more harm than good."

I was silent as he spoke, unsure of what the problem could be, and waited for him to further elaborate.

"It, ah. It's Siobhan," Hunter finally said, "She texted me the other day-saying that she needed to talk to you and stuff."

Both of my friends watched me carefully, wanting to take in my reaction and see if I was still hurt by the mention of the woman that had broken my heart. I felt a chilling numbness spread through my body, and my features harden.

"About?" The single word came out harsher than I thought it would. Mason winced at the bitterness in my voice.

"Apparently, she has some evidence that she didn't..." Hunter trailed off, unsure of how to say it. I couldn't blame him; last time we discussed this topic, I had ended up so angry I didn't talk to anyone for the remainder of that day. Hunter clearly didn't want a repeat of that.

"Cheat on you," Mason finished for him. Unlike Hunter, Mason was a rip the band aid off kind of guy. He was straight forward and blunt, and while I appreciated it, there were times he caused more damage that he realised. Thankfully, this wasn't one of those times.

"Yeah, that," Hunter added awkwardly, pointing a finger at our friend. Now, both of them looked at me expectantly, waiting for my verdict. My mind whirled as I thought of what to do. Interacting with Siobhan was the last thing I wanted. It had taken me months to snap out of the heart broken daze she'd left me in, and truth be told, too much had happened between us for me to want to get back together with her.

"There's nothing left for her to say," I eventually told my friends, unsure of how else to explain how I felt.

I knew there was a small chance that the evidence she had, whatever it was, might be legit, but it wouldn't change things for me. Not now, not anymore. I had learned long ago not to reopen closed doors.

"I think," Hunter slowly said, "if that was the case, she wouldn't have begged me to ask you."

I narrowed my eyes at Hunter, who seemed to sense my disapproval and took a step back. He didn't, however, back down from his argument.

"Honestly Ron? I think she just needs some closure. It'll help her move on, you know?" he explained, "If you have it out with her, she won't have any excuses left to keep calling for your attention. And you guys were friends for years," Hunter added, "Just think about it, yeah?"

I didn't like a word Hunter said, but deep down, I knew he might be right. What he said made sense. I huffed out a deep sigh and rubbed my temple. I didn't want to think about any of this at the moment.

"I'll think about it later and let you know, eh?" I decidedly told my friends. Hunter looked somewhat relieved that I didn't shut down the idea. Mason looked sour, probably unhappy that I was even considering it. He had never liked Siobhan much to begin with, and after our messy breakup, he didn't want her in my vicinity.

I silently finished changing and packed my bag. Mason's quizzical look stopped me from leaving without another word. "Where are you going? Don't we need to pick Isabelle up?"

I shook my head at him as I shouldered my gym bag. "I have an - errand - that I have to go run before I get Izzy. I'll see you guys at the house later," I quickly explained. Hunter and Mason gave each other the look, but without waiting for either of them to further question me, I made to leave.

"You can just say you're going to meet your girlfriend; you know!" Mason called after me. Damn Mason for being a smartass. I couldn't help rolling my eyes as my friends' laughter bounced off the walls and followed me out of the locker room.

****

I stood outside the Psychology Department, one hand shoved into my jacket pocket, and the other wrapped around a large, iced coffee. An iced white mocha with whipped cream and caramel syrup, to be exact. How Amelia could drink iced anything in this weather was beyond me; holding her coffee was making me shiver.

Just as I was beginning to get impatient and restless, a horde of students made their way out of the building. Amelia was one of the last to leave and, thankfully, she was alone. She was laser focused on her phone and sported a frown, but her head snapped up the moment I called her name.

She didn't see me straight away as she looked around herself, but her wide eyes connected with mine as I made my way towards her. I watched her deep frown morph into a small, surprised smile, and a funny feeling buzzed through me knowing that I was the cause of it.

"Ronan," Amelia said my name in a breathy voice, almost as if she was talking to herself more than me. She cleared her throat, "Since when do you hang around the psych ward?"

"The psych ward?" I asked her, not hiding my amusement.

She grinned. "It's an appropriate name, considering I just spent fifty minutes in there plotting Gill's murder."

I tutted at her, "You should have reminded me to bring a body bag." I loved this teasing, witty banter that we had going.

Amelia waved a dismissive hand, but her smile widened. "I decided to let him see another day, torture a few more students," she said breezily. She coaxed a small chortle out of me before she continued. "But seriously, Ronan, what are you doing here?"

"I came to deliver this monstrosity," I said and stuck my hand out, jutting the coffee cup in her direction. Amelia looked blankly at it for a moment, as if registering my words and their meaning. Then, it was as if her whole being lit up. Her head snapped up to me, her eyes wide with excitement.

"Is that an iced-"

"White mocha with whipped cream and caramel syrup," I cut her off, "Yes, yes, it is. Now take the damn thing before it freezes my hand off."

"You're the best, thank you!" Amelia squeaked at me as she gratefully took her drink. The statement took me by surprise, and I let my head hang, unsure of what else to say. Throughout our text conversations, she mentioned that this was her favourite coffee.

Her expression became mellow as she said, "You're really thoughtful, but you didn't have to do this for me."

I peeked up at her. "I wanted to. I knew you were going to have another long day, so I thought..." I wasn't sure what to tell her. So I thought I should get you a coffee in hopes of making it somewhat better and more bearable? So I thought it would be a nice excuse to see you? How do you explain that someone you've only just befriended?

Befriended. We're friends, I reminded myself. Nothing more, nothing less. Friends.

"So," I started, wanting to distract myself from the bitterness the word brought me, "You have to go swimming now, right? And then a shift at the clinic?"

Amelia bobbed her head along to what I said as she took a sip of her coffee. "Yup. I've been dreading it if I'm to be honest," she confessed. "We started training for nationals this week, and it's like some military man's spirit has possessed my coach."

"Looks like Bondside coaches have something in common then," I joked, "Daniels made to sure to hand us our asses today. Practice was hell."

She groaned loudly, and I couldn't help laughing.  "Laughing at my misery, are we now?" Her words were coated in sarcasm. "Always," I promised, earning a glare.

Amelia flicked her eyes to her phone screen, then turned it around and waved it at me. "The time for my torture has come," she said with a completely straight face, "Wish me luck."

"You don't need it, Mia. It won't be that bad now," I tried telling her, hoping to uplift her spirits a bit before she left. She held up her coffee. "Yeah, but only because of this baby right here. Thank you!" she called over her shoulder as made her way to the sports centre.

I felt my lips tug into another smile as I watched her go, not taking my eyes off her retreating figure until she rounded a corner and was out of my line of sight.

We are friends, a voice in my head reminded me as I left to get Izzy. For now, I wanted to add.

We were friends, for now.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

610K 15K 53
Oil doesn't mix with water, we were taught that when the teacher was ranting about the basic laws of science. It doesn't combine just like how light...
560K 6.6K 72
"You need to stop it with the fighting, Wade! On and off the ice. You can get killed out there!" She yells. She was so worried. His plumped red lip a...
438K 9.6K 41
College is a confusing and exciting place. Between classes, sports, and an attempt at a social life outside of class, it's enough stress to make a pe...
2.6M 75.5K 42
Never in a million years did I think I would cross paths with him again. Michael Woods. The boy who broke my heart. The boy who picked hockey over me...