HOLD MY HEART · santiago gar...

נכתב על ידי _anniette

Pope told himself that he's done. With everything. He tries to find some peace, living alone in his small Mex... עוד

00 | parking lot

01 | breakfast with the heat.

17 4 2
נכתב על ידי _anniette

Hailey found it hard to sleep after what happened.

She was always tossing in her bed, rolling from side to side, unable to wipe off that drunk man from her memory. Everytime she was going back to that night she felt trapped, everything felt so small around her, the walls were getting closer, squeezing her body in anxiety that drew all of the air out of her lungs. She was suffocating at the thought of what could've happened if she weren't saved that night. If that weird but alluring man wouldn't defend her.

She wouldn't be here, that's for sure.

Nuevo Laredo was a small town. Right at the border with the States. So if something changed her mind and made her leave the Mexico, she could always cross the river and start from the beginning once again.

Easy to say, right?

Hailey didn't want to leave. She didn't want to get back to her old life. She wanted to forget about the things she has been through for the past few years and just enjoy her freedom. She made a promise to herself that she will never let her demons take control over her. But as easy as it seemed, no matter what, she was unable to forget. To wipe off the faces of the closest people she had. People she actually called family. The same one she grew up in and the same one being the reason of why she ended up here.

This morning wasn't any different from others. She got out of the bed before the alarm went off and did a quick trip to the bathroom for her morning routine. She brushed her teeth and splashed her face with cold water, just a small trick she picked up from highschool times to wake herself more.

She decided to make an oatmeal for the breakfast but when she reached to the cupboard she was met with an empty jar. It was Saturday. And still too early to go shopping. The outside world was still basking in the mid darkness, her neighbours still sleeping in their beds, the sun awaiting to rise.

Hailey Rikard wasn't a very patient person. So before the clock struck 7.am she was already on her way to the city's market. She didn't had a car, moving here only with a help of a few generous people. She walked by foot practically everywhere -- work, pharmacy, the park, even to the small museum that was opened not so long ago. And she never complained. She choosed to be here and now she had to face the harder part of living here.

She walked and walked until her feet dragged her to the bus stop. Her heart picked up an usteady pace as she tried hard not to look at that direction. Don't think about him. You're safe. You're alright. You're--

"Ay! Chica!"

She turned around, a sigh of relief escaping her.

"Holá, Manny!" she cheered, putting the best smile she could master at that moment. Her friend chuckled before wrapping her in his arms for a quick hug, that quickly washed the anxiety out of her. "What are you doing here? It's still early."

"I wanted to suprise my wife with waffles for breakfast. You know how she likes 'em. But then I looked around and realised there was no syrup or berries. If I don't get them, the whole plan will go to shit."

Her stomach twisted at the thought of warm and crispy waffles with white cream and strawberries on top of it. She really needed to eat something. Now.

"That's very thoughtful of you." she smiled at him. "I'm headed to the market for some oatmeal. Turns out I ran out of it this morning so--"

"Stop with the bullshit, nena. You're gonna eat with us today." he offered, pulling her to his side, a smile playing on his lips. "I don't take no for an answer. I said what I said, now let's go buy those berries, hm?"

She chuckled, nodding her head and following Manny to the market, slowly enveloping herself in the conversation.

* * *

Santiago didn't planned on getting out of the bed that morning. He wasn't really a morning person but due to his...condition he just prefered to lay there and try his best to get some sleep which never actually happened anyways.

Then he would usually sit up on the edge of the bed and stare at the floor, blinking the tiredness away before standing up and going to the bathroom. He looked at his reflection and couldn't help but feel disgust everytime. He took a quick shower, brushed his teeth and skipped breakfast, relying only on his black coffee.

After that he would grab his phone and car keys to leave for a quick ride around the town. To see, if he could do anything or just stay at home and pretend that it was normal to feel this way. His Ford smoothly strolled through the empty streets as he lazily watched the road in front of him. That's when he stopped at the next red light and suddenly felt the urge to go to the market. It pushed him, gnawing at his mind like an annoying fly. He didn't know why but he just had to be there. Now.

He left the car fifty meters away, deciding to cut the rest of the distance on his own. He unzipped his black leather jacket and took a deep breath, inhaling the fresh and frisky air that filled his lungs.

Suprisingly there were a few people that scathered around. Most of them unfamiliar to him. They were talking in hushed voices but he could still hear the spanish accent. He put his hands into the pockets of his jeans and stopped by the vegetable stand.

That's when he heard it -- the sweetest voice that brought him back to that night only few days before. He looked to his right, then to his left and his shoulders dropped at the sight of her in the company of an old cowboy he knew all to well.

She was laughing at something and it made his heart clench in the way he could not explain. Warm spread through his body like a bolt when he caught himself smiling for something as stupid and as beautiful as this.

In the morning light she looked even prettier than he remembered. He finally could see her brown locks, falling over her shoulders and that tiny, curved waist that was just asking for his hands to linger there. To grab her and never let go.
And her face? Sharp jawline, big, brown, doe-eyes hidden under her dark curtain of lashes and finally her small, adorable nose -- things that made him even more interested in her. Especially when she was wearing that short, summer dress that perfectly hugged her petite silhouette.

Santi watched as she started to walk away, holding the basket full of fresh fruits and even some bread. She looked so peaceful and content. He wondered if she was always like this. He wanted to remember her like that. Her smile, her beauty, just her.

After buying some snacks he received a call from Carmen. She asked him to come over for some work at the ranch and of course the dinner. Santi gladly accepted the offer, missing their little talks over the table. Her husband hired him to help around the house and share some duties like fixing the fence or taking care of the garden. They were an old married couple, unfortuantely left with no kids of their own. But that didn't stop them from being open to people. The Fuentes couple was helplessly in love with eachother after 47 years of spending their lives together, on this Mexican soil. He could say he was jealous. They knew eachother for so long, now being in their 70's while he was close to 40's and still didn't have a wife.

Carmen's husband always liked to tell him the story of how he and Carmen met. Just to give him a beautiful but long lecture about love and that everything takes time.

But what if he didn't want to wait? What if he couldn't? What if he didn't have those 47 years to live?

Santi listened to every advice from them, he soaked in every word, trying to follow their instructions but every time he failed and someone got hurt. So he just gave up. He buried the hope for a better life and focused on the moment.

His mustang stopped in front of the house. He got out, immediately being welcomed by Carmen who put hwe arms around him. It almost felt like coming home to his parents. But no matter what Santi had to remind himself that they weren't his family. They were just nice people who needed some help.

"Ay, chico." she tsk' at him. "You lost a few pounds again. Eres mas flaco. (You're more skinny)"

"Estoy bien, Carmen. (I'm okay, Carmen)" he reassured her, putting on a soft smile that haven't convinced her at all.

"No, you're not. Now come on, I left some waffles for you, hijo."

He wanted to protest but she grabbed him by the arm and practically dragged inside the house. He gave up eventually, because there was no point in arguing with her. She sat him by the old, creaking table and gave him a plate full of food.

"Are you kidding? That's enough for a horse--"

"Eat." she ordered in a firm voice, making him shudder. Carmen had a big heart and was literally an angel but don't let it fool you, she could be really tough if she wanted to. "All of it, Santi."

"Yeah, yeah." he mumbled with his mouth full of crispy waffles.

* * *

"Manny it's okay I got it." she repeated for the tenth time that day, receiving a short chuckle from him. "Go back to your work, I promise, I'll be fine."

"Okay, nena. Whatever you say." he rubbed her shoulder and dissapeared inside of the house. Just when she was about to return to folding the clothes, she heard some shuffling coming from the downstairs.

She ignored it, folding one of Manny's flannel shirts. She smoothed the material and quickly grabbed another one, turning her head when someone walked into the bedroom.

"Hey, sweetie. How are we doing, hm?" the woman cheered, looking at her work.

"Actually I just finished, so I could help you with that dinner. Paella was it?"she asked, eyas still glued to her movements.

The woman nodded, a grin spreading around her wrinkled face. She loved to cook together with her as it always brought a little light to her life and helped her relax. She never felt like this in her home, there was always this tension, the fear of not being good enough or making a mistake.

"Are we having guests today? I heard some noises."

"Oh!" Carmen's face lit up. "Don't worry, it's just Santiago. He helps around the ranch. Such a good boy, you would've liked him." the older pinched her side, making Hailey blush at her words.

"Stop it." she hushed her, smile forcing its way to her lips. "You know I don't have time for this."

Carmen chuckled and left the room with a playful expression.

She came down ten minutes later after making sure that all of the clothes were in their place. She washed her hands and met Carmen in the kitchen, carefully looking around for that Santiago guy.

"He's outside with Manny, mija. You can go say hi." she offered but Rikard shook her head and began to chop the vegetables.

* * *

Santi wiped off some of the sweat from his forehead and grabbed the hammer. Fixing the fence was one of the easiest but longest tasks around here. Not to mention the painting process which he hated. That's why he left it to Manny, picking up the hardest part of the job.

"¿Tienes invitados? Escuché a Carmen hablando con alguien. (Are you having guests? I heard Carmen talking to someone)" he turned to the older man, who smoothly brushed the wood with white paint.

"No, es sólo Hailey. A ella le gusta venir y ayudar. (No, that's just Hailey. She likes to come over and help)"

Santiago hummed in response, looking at the house from distance.

"You would've liked her. She's a pure angel."

He scoffed and then grimaced.

"Nah, I don't do relationships."

"Who said anything about relationships? You could at least get to know someone apart from me and Carmen."

"Thanks but I'm fine for now."

"Whatever you say, hijo." he replied, getting back to work.

* * *

Paella was soon to be finished with its delicious smell lingering around the house. They even managed to make a dessert and bake some cookies. Everything only in two hours.

The took a short break after finishing cooking, sipping a lemonade in the backyard. Carmen sat in her rocking chair, telling Hailey a story of how she and her husband met. It was Hailey's favorite one. She found it both beautiful and astonishing of how two people could fall in love in the first sight and be together for so long.

"Gosh, it's past noon." Carmen put a hand to her forehead. "And the boys are still fixing that fence..."

"I'll bring them some lemonade." offered Hailey, raising from her seat. She entered the house and picked two epmty glasses from the cupboard. Then she grabbed the drink and revealed herself to the blazing, Mexican heat.

It didn't take her long. She found them just a couple of meters away, too focused on their job to notice her. She immediately recognised Manny but her eyes stopped at the second male figure. He was crouching on the ground with his back to her, salt and pepper locks covered in sweat as he nailed the nails to the beam.

"Oh, hi chiquita!" Manny straightened up when she finally approached them both. "That for me?"

"Sí, viejo. (Yes, old man)." Hailey send him a smirk before filling his glass. "Drink slowly it's very--"

The words died in her throat when her eyes met with the ones that belonged to the younger man. They both fell silent, tension squeezing in the hot air making it impossible to breathe now.

"You?" she was the first one to break the silence.

Manny narrowed his eyes, his gaze jumping from Hailey to Santiago.

"You two know eachother?"

"Yes."

"No."

What the--

"So, your name's Hailey?" he rosed an eyebrow, taking the glass out of her hands. She could see that smirk, slowly forming on his handsome face but decided to ignore it.

"Oh for fuck's sake." she cursed, turning on her heel.

"Nice to finally meet you!" he called after her, receving a short chuckle from the old man who watched this scene in awe.

'°'

an: gosh, i'm sorry if this is too long. i just had to put two and two together you know?

the next one will be a bit shorter so don't worry ;)

המשך קריאה

You'll Also Like

788K 29.4K 105
The story is about the little girl who has 7 older brothers, honestly, 7 overprotective brothers!! It's a series by the way!!! 😂💜 my first fanfic...
73.3K 1.7K 32
!Uploads daily! Max starts his first year at college. Everything goes well for him and his friends PJ and Bobby until he meets Bradley Uppercrust the...
Doors open. נכתב על ידי ash

ספרות חובבים

582K 8.9K 86
A text story set place in the golden trio era! You are the it girl of Slytherin, the glue holding your deranged friend group together, the girl no...
125K 5.4K 52
❥❥❥ [BNHA x Fem!Reader] ❛❛𝔸𝕝𝕝 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕣𝕚𝕔𝕙𝕖𝕤 𝕓𝕒𝕓𝕪, 𝕎𝕠𝕟'𝕥 𝕞𝕖𝕒𝕟 𝕒𝕟𝕪𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕟𝕘, 𝔸𝕝𝕝 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕣𝕚𝕔𝕙𝕖𝕤 𝕓𝕒𝕓𝕪...