Guarding Hearts' Whimsy

Bởi not_so_sweet_one

( book 1 in #Raveneve series) 🎙️ "So, there I was, Eve Josephine Dale, the heiress to the Dale fortune, tryi... Xem Thêm

Author's note
The Velvet Scandal
Prologue: The Slumbering Heiress
Chapter One: Unseen Shadows
Chapter two -Guardian's Pursuit
Chapter 3 - Velvet-ine maze
Chapter 4: "Digital Threads"
Chapter 5 - Guardian with popcorns
Chapter 6 :Guardian of Shadows
Aesthetics ✨️❣️
Chapter 7: Guardian at service
Chapter 8 : Guarding the secrets
Eve FanClub 💅💫❤️🔥
Chapter 9: Guardian of Garden Mishaps
Chapter 10: Not just a Guardian
chapter 11 :Guardian of book club
Chapter 12 : Guardian of the wardrobe
chapter 13: Guardian choice
Chapter 14: the velvet-ine shadows
Eve FanClub 💅💫❤️🔥
Chapter 15 : Guardian and the shopping list
Chapter 16 : Annoying shadows
Chapter 17: Web of secrets
Chapter 18: Lost away
Chapter 19: The Guardian who failed
Chapter 20: The weight of fallen wings
Chapter 21 : Guardian's tale
Chapter 22 : Where's the Guardian
Chapter 23: Guardian's return
Chapter 24: Guardian of the Poetry
Chapter 25: Guardian in the talks
Eve_the_smartestDale💅💖✨️
Chapter 26: Ghosts of the past
Chapter 27: Gaurdian's secret
Chapter 28: Gaurdian in shinning armour
Chapter 29 Gaurdian's lullaby
chapter 30: Velvet-ine mirrors
wardrobe ✨️💅🔥
Chapter 31 - pieces of the puzzle
Chapter 32: Velvet mastermind
Chapter 33 Guardian's sidekick?
Chapter 34 : Guardian with soup bowl !?
Eve_the_smartestDale 💅💖✨️
Chapter 35: Guardian's dilemma
Chapter 36: Velvet-ine fog
Chapter 37: Eyes of the prey
Chapter 38: Guardian's healer
Chapter 39 : The velvet scandal
Chapter 40: Guardian and the surprises
Chapter 41: Guardian IN the dreams
☆꧁✬◦°˚°◦. ʟօօӄ ɨռȶօ ʍʏ ɛʏɛֆ .◦°˚°◦✬꧂☆
☆꧁✬◦°˚°◦. ɮɛʟɨɛʋɛ ʍʏ ɛʏɛֆ .◦°˚°◦✬꧂☆
Chapter 44: Guardian Shell
Eve FanClub 💅💫❤️🔥
Chapter 45: Guardian of Love
Chapter 46: Velvet-ine roots
❤️🔥#Raveneve starting pack ❤️🔥
Chapter 47: The Crimson past
Chapter 48- Guarding Hearts' whimsy
Chapter 49 : Guarding the truth ahead
Author's Note❣️✨️
🎊Book 2 Announcement 🎊

Chapter 50: Beginning of the Vengeance

25 7 21
Bởi not_so_sweet_one

Mr. Dale stood before the mirror, his reflection a portrait of conflicting emotions. The crisp lines of his suit bespoke of professionalism, yet his eyes betrayed the weight of the decision he was about to make. Today was not just another day; it marked the beginning of a journey fraught with uncertainty and consequences.

Taking a deep breath, Mr. Dale straightened his tie with practiced precision, his movements deliberate as he prepared to face the pivotal moment ahead.

As he gazed into his own eyes, Mr. Dale saw traces of remorse and determination reflected back at him. Today, he would confront the demons of his past, laying bare the truth that had long been shrouded in darkness. It was a moment of reckoning, a chance for redemption, and he was resolved to see it through to the end.

With a final glance in the mirror, Mr. Dale squared his shoulders, steeling himself for the challenges that lay ahead. The time for hesitation had passed; now, it was time to confront the truth and face the consequences, whatever they may be.

As Mr. Dale prepared to depart, a familiar voice called out to him from behind, causing him to pause in his tracks. Turning slowly, he found Eve standing there, her presence a ray of sunshine in the dimly lit room.

"Dad? I thought you would have already left for the office," she remarked, her tone laced with her usual warmth and cheerfulness.

With a soft sigh, Mr. Dale moved closer to Eve, his heart heavy with the weight of the truth he was forced to conceal. He reached out, gently brushing a stray strand of hair from her face, his touch lingering for a moment longer than usual.

"Ah, you know me, Eve," he replied, his voice tinged with a hint of sadness masked by his facade of normalcy. "Just a few last-minute things to take care of before I head out."

Eve studied her father's expression intently, a flicker of concern flitting across her features as she sensed the underlying tension beneath his calm exterior. Yet, she chose not to press the matter further.

"All right, Dad," she said, offering him a reassuring smile. "Just don't forget to take a break and have some lunch, okay?"

Mr. Dale returned her smile, grateful for her unwavering support even in the face of his inner turmoil. "I won't forget," he promised, his voice tinged with gratitude as he turned to leave, his steps heavy with the weight of the secrets he carried.

////

Bartlett sat at the head of the breakfast table, his demeanor calm and collected as he methodically sliced through his meal. The soft clink of cutlery against porcelain echoed in the air, a stark contrast to the tension that simmered beneath the surface.

His phone buzzed, interrupting the tranquil atmosphere of the room. With a casual flick of his wrist, Bartlett answered the call, his tone composed yet tinged with an underlying sense of anticipation.

"Did you give him what he asked for?" he inquired, his voice carrying a hint of amusement.

The response on the other end elicited a chuckle from Bartlett, his lips curling into a sardonic smile. "Your friend always amuses me," he remarked, his tone laced with disdain. "But unfortunately, the show won't last long enough for him to try it."

As the conversation continued, a furrow appeared on Bartlett's brow, his expression darkening with displeasure. "Well, But what's the fun if Raven won't be there to wittness it himself.." he countered, his voice dripping with malice.

With a decisive click, Bartlett ended the call, returning his attention to his breakfast with a sense of grim satisfaction. Despite the unsettling turn of events, he remained unfazed, his mind already calculating the next move in his intricate game of manipulation and deceit.

/////

Raven entered Eve's room, his gaze lingering on her as she sat by the vanity, gently running a comb through her hair. There was a thoughtful expression on his face, a hint of concern in his eyes.

Eve glanced up from her reflection, noticing the intensity of Raven's scrutiny. Sensing that something was amiss, she set the comb down and rose to her feet, crossing the room to stand before him.

"Is everything alright, Raven?" she asked, her voice laced with genuine concern.

Raven nodded, but there was a heaviness in his sigh as he closed his eyes, as if struggling to find the right words. "That's the problem, Eve," he replied, his tone tinged with frustration. "Everything seems to be going too smoothly, almost unnaturally so."

Eve couldn't help but smile at Raven's attempt to articulate his feelings. "Ah, I see. The classic dilemma of everything being too good to be true," she remarked, her tone teasing yet affectionate.

Raven stared at a distance as his thoughts wandered to Mr Dale.

////

Mr. Dale sat in the backseat of his car, engrossed in his own thoughts, when suddenly, another vehicle swerved in front of his, bringing it to an abrupt halt. Peering out the window, Mr. Dale's eyes narrowed as he recognized Bartlett emerging from the other car, a sly grin plastered across his face.

Consciously, Mr. Dale stepped out of his own vehicle, his demeanor composed but his senses on high alert. Bartlett extended his arms in a mocking gesture of welcome. "You appear to be in quite a hurry, Dale," he taunted.

Mr. Dale maintained a steely expression. "I have urgent matters to attend to. Do not impede my path, Bartlett," he retorted, his voice tinged with irritation.

Bartlett simply chuckled and took a few strides closer, his voice lowered to a conspiratorial whisper. "If I wished to obstruct your journey, I would have dismantled every route leading to your destination," he sneered. "But for now, I am merely extending a cordial greeting to my dear friend."

Mr. Dale's glare intensified before he turned on his heel, intending to retreat to the safety of his car. Bartlett's parting words halted him in his tracks. "Best of luck, Dale. I hear courtrooms can be rather unforgiving," Bartlett jeered, his tone dripping with malice, sending a shiver down Mr. Dale's spine.

As Bartlett slid back into his car, his smirk never leaving his face, he revved the engine and peeled away, leaving Mr. Dale standing there, his mind awash with a mixture of apprehension and determination. Watching Bartlett's vehicle disappear into the distance, Mr. Dale's jaw tightened, his resolve only strengthening in the face of his adversary's threats.

///////

Mr. Dale stood before the lawyers and the presiding judge, a solemn atmosphere enveloping the courtroom. The lawyer's voice cut through the tension, his words echoing off the walls as he posed the question once more: "Is this your final statement, Mr. Dale? Do you acknowledge the charges outlined in the letter?"

With a heavy sigh, Mr. Dale nodded in acquiescence. "I, Aiden Dale, hereby confess that the charges detailed in the letter indeed reflect my involvement, alongside William Bartlett, as the primary perpetrator."

The lawyer pressed on, his tone firm. "Mr. Dale, do you possess any evidence implicating William Bartlett in these crimes?"

Before Mr. Dale could respond, a figure among the jury stood, seeking permission to address the court. "I apologize for the interruption, Your Honor, but I have evidence suggesting Mr. Dale's sole culpability in the Velvetine scandal."

____////

"What !?" Raven's voice pierced the room, jolting Eve from her reverie. She startled, a slight tremor coursing through her frame as she turned towards him. Raven was immersed in a phone call, his expression tense.

The voice on the other end of the line prodded, "Wouldn't you like to review the final reports on Aria Noir?"

Raven sneered, his tone tinged with skepticism. "I already have all the information recovered from her files. I don't need to entertain your tricks."

The caller persisted, their words carrying a note of urgency. "Come on, Raven. Even if it means uncovering the truth behind her disappearance. You don't even know what happened to her."

Raven felt his breath catch in his throat at the mention of Aria's fate. In a surge of frustration, he flung the phone across the room. Eve watched him, concern etched on her features as she approached him tentatively.

"Raven," she implored, her voice soft yet firm, "you need to tell me what's going on."

Raven heaved a heavy sigh, his shoulders sagging with the weight of his internal turmoil. "It's nothing, Eve. Nothing you should worry about," he assured her, though his voice betrayed a hint of frustration. "Just..." He trailed off, inhaling deeply in an attempt to steady his racing thoughts, before muttering a curse under his breath.

Sensing Raven's unease, Eve gently probed, "Do you need to go somewhere, Raven?"

Raven's brows furrowed in surprise as he met her gaze. "What? No, Eve, definitely not. I wouldn't leave you alone in danger," he reassured her with a hint of urgency, especially not today."

Eve persisted, her curiosity piqued. "What is it about today? I've noticed you've been on edge since this morning. You need to tell me what the person on the call said."

Raven attempted to maintain his composure. "It was... about Aria. But you don't need to concern yourself with it, Eve."

Just then, Raven's phone buzzed once more. This time, it was Jake calling. Raven answered, his expression grave as he listened intently to Jake's words. "Raven... I think you should be present in court right now," Jake urged.

Raven hesitated, torn between his duty and his concern for Eve's safety. "I can't risk leaving Eve's safety," he responded with a heavy heart.

Eve, overhearing the conversation, frowned in confusion. As Raven ended the call, she pressed him for an explanation. "Who does it concern?" she inquired.

Raven sighed wearily as he met her gaze. "Mr. Dale," he admitted reluctantly.

////

"These... these are absurd," Mr. Dale exclaimed, his voice laced with incredulity, as the man presented evidence directly implicating Mr. Dale as the sole perpetrator in all the crimes he had admitted to, leaving William Bartlett as a mere bystander.

"What do you have to say about these, Mr. Dale? The videos and documents, along with your agreement dated during the scandal, provide clear indication of your involvement. Not to mention one of them is Mrs. Dale's last moments footage. And you yourself admitted to your involvement," the prosecutor pressed.

"I did, but I was merely a source, a provider. The mastermind behind the whole scandal was William. I would request you to consider my evidence," Mr. Dale countered, presenting the evidence Raven had provided, only to have it dismissed by the jury as inconsequential. Mr. Dale knew there had to be manipulation by Bartlett.

Before anyone could speak, Eve and Raven entered the courtroom. The lawyer turned towards them. "No one is allowed here without prior permission from the jury," he stated firmly.

Raven stepped forward. "I apologize for the disrespectful behavior, but I am Detective Raven Noir. I have been investigating the case of the Velvet Scandal, and I would like to highlight and bring to your attention the involvement of Mr. William Bartlett, if you may allow."

The lawyer sneered at him. "This isn't a primary school where any kid can come and speak up; this is a jury-headed court, Mr. Noir."

Raven maintained a stoic demeanor, but before he could respond, the man who had presented the previous evidence spoke up. "Respected jury, I would also like to bring to your notice this Investigatory Report by crime journalist Aria Noir."

Hearing this, Raven froze, standing shocked as he tried to process what he had just heard. The man continued, "Now, if you may have a look at it, Ms. Aria Noir has clearly stated that after all her research and investigations, as detailed in the report, she has come to the conclusion of Mr. Dale's sole and primary involvement in the Velvet Scandal. She has also reported the threats and harassment that she received from Mr. Dale following her report."

Mr. Dale's lawyer spoke up, "Mr. Dawris, this report is one year old. If it was already present along with the proofs, why wasn't it submitted to the court already? Respected jury, I suspect this report to be false."

Hearing what was written in the report, Raven felt his blood run cold, and at the same time, his temper rose. An instinctive protectiveness surged within him, coupled with the pain of failure to protect her.

Eve, on the other hand, looked between Raven and Mr. Dale, shocked and scared simultaneously. She knew her dad could never do such a thing. Her heart pounded in her chest as she didn't want any of this to happen.

Mr. Dawris spoke up, "I agree with your doubt, sir, but what a beautiful coincidence it is. Just when Mr. Dale thought of surrendering, at the same time, my witness, Mr. Alex Ren, Head journalist and anchor of SS News channel, decided to present the proofs and confess. I would like to call him in."

Raven looked at Alex in disbelief. He couldn't believe Alex was hiding it all along. Or was he really hiding everything, or was this just made up? Raven's mind went completely blank. The desperation to find out about his sister, Aria, was clouding his thoughts.

Alex stepped up to the podium, avoiding eye contact with Raven as he began, "All the evidence and the report by one of my journalists, Aria Noir, are real and valid. I take full responsibility. I have been keeping my mouth shut because of the hefty bribes I received from Mr. Dale. I am ashamed of my actions and will accept the court's decision."

As the lawyers and Mr. Dale's defense team continued to argue, Raven, Eve, and Mr. Dale all awaited their fate with bated breath.

Finally, as the jury reached their verdict, they spoke, "The jury has come to the conclusion that Mr. Dale is considered guilty for primary involvement in the Velvet Scandal, Sarah Dale's murder, and the charges implied on him along with bribery. According to all the charges, the jury sentences Aiden Dale to life imprisonment. An orders an investigation on William Bartlett"

Upon hearing the verdict, Eve felt the ground shift beneath her feet. Tears welled up in her eyes as she gazed at Mr. Dale, who stood there with a defeated and pained expression. It was as if her entire world was crumbling around her, leaving her feeling utterly helpless. She looked around desperately, her eyes settling on her last beacon of hope-Raven.

With trembling hands, Eve reached out and grasped Raven's hand, tears streaming down her face. "Raven, do something! They... they're going to take Dad away. Please," she pleaded, her voice choked with emotion.

Raven stared at Mr. Dale for a moment before jerking his hand away from Eve's grasp, his expression one of disbelief. "How can you say that, Eve? We all heard what was said in there. Your father... he's a criminal," he spat out, his anger palpable.

Eve recoiled in shock at Raven's sudden outburst. "But Raven, you know it's Bartlett! My dad wouldn't do something like this," she protested, her voice wavering.

Raven's anger only seemed to intensify at her words. "Then tell me, Eve, what happened to my sister? Where is she? Why did she write in her report that your dad harassed her and threatened her?"

As Eve looked into Raven's eyes, she could sense the turmoil and pain within him. Despite her desperation to defend her father, she couldn't ignore the questions Raven posed. The mention of Aria, Raven's sister, added another layer of complexity to the situation. She knew Raven had been haunted by her disappearance for years, and now, her name was being dragged into this mess.

"Eve, I don't know what to believe anymore," Raven continued, his voice softer now, filled with uncertainty. "I want to trust your father, but there's too much at stake, too many unanswered questions."

Eve felt a knot form in her stomach as she struggled to reconcile her loyalty to her father with the mounting evidence against him. She had always seen him as a pillar of strength and integrity, but now, she couldn't shake the doubts that lingered in her mind.

Mr. Dale stood silently, his shoulders slumped in defeat. He knew that regardless of his innocence, the jury's decision had sealed his fate. The weight of the verdict bore down on him, crushing him under its immense pressure.

As they escorted Mr. Dale away, Eve suddenly felt a familiar presence approach her. It was the person her father once trusted the most - Bartlett. Raven instinctively moved in front of Eve, shielding her from Bartlett's presence.

Bartlett feigned grief as he approached. "Oh, my dear Eve. I heard what happened here. I wish I could have saved your father."

Eve glared at him, her eyes flashing with anger, as she stepped forward. "This all happened because of you, you bastard!"

Bartlett laughed upon hearing Eve's accusation. "Oh, my sweet heavens, you are such a naive little girl," he said, attempting to caress her face with his hands. Raven swiftly intervened, jerking Bartlett's hand away.

Through clenched teeth, Raven warned, "Stay away from Eve, Bartlett."

Bartlett feigned surprise. "Ah, I see you're still playing the bodyguard role," he mocked, striking a bodyguard pose. He then turned to Eve. "But, my dear girl, do you realize that whatever happened wasn't because of me? It was because of your very own bodyguard, Raven."

Eve gazed at Bartlett in astonishment and then turned to Raven, silently questioning him. Bartlett pressed on, his tone dripping with sarcasm. "Oh, did you believe he was merely playing the role of your bodyguard out of genuine concern? Or perhaps to infiltrate the business world for his investigation? No, my dear, he had a more insidious agenda-he was there to uncover your father's secrets. Wasn't that the case, Raven?"

Eve's disbelief intensified as Bartlett continued his accusations. Her breath caught in her throat as Bartlett went on, painting Raven as the mastermind behind her father's confession. Raven stood stoically, his silence fueling Eve's sense of doubt and the sting of betrayal.

Eve turned to Raven, her voice barely a whisper as she pleaded, "Raven, tell me he's lying. He's just trying to manipulate us again, right? He... he couldn't possibly..."

Before she could finish, her voice cracked, and Raven spoke, his gaze averted. "Eve... I did want to uncover Aiden Dale's secrets, but..."

His words were interrupted by Bartlett's taunting voice. "See, he's admitting it! Now, Eve, don't tell me you fell for his act? How could you not see that he used you as a pawn, only to shatter you in the end and bring down the entire house?"

Tears streamed down Eve's cheeks as she looked at Raven, desperately hoping that he would deny Bartlett's accusations. But before Raven could respond, Bartlett continued with his malicious words. "You know, Eve, it's not uncommon for a detective to feign love, to use intimacy with anyone to achieve their goals."

Bartlett laughed, his tone dripping with mockery. "But anyway, don't ever feel lonely. Just come to my villa anytime you need company."

With a mocking pat on Raven's back, Bartlett turned away, smirking in triumph. Raven turned to Eve, his voice trembling. "Eve, don't listen to him. I never used you. I... I never exploited our relationship for my own goals or missions."

Eve clenched her fists, tears of anger streaming down her face. "Then why did you do this to me, Raven? If you loved me, why did you take my dad away from me?"

Raven's eyes darkened suddenly. "Because that criminal deserved it, Eve. I wish he had suffered even more."

"Shut up!" Eve shouted, her voice trembling with fury. "I know my dad wouldn't do anything wrong. Your mind is clouded with hatred."

"What do you expect from me, Eve?" Raven shot back. "That man is the reason my sister isn't with me anymore."

Eve's bitter laughter echoed through the room, her voice now hoarse with emotion. "So that's what it was about? I should have guessed. You wanted revenge, didn't you?"

Raven sighed, his gaze drifting away.

"Never come in front of me ever again, Raven," Eve continued, her tone filled with resentment. "Right now, I might hate you. But by then, perhaps my love for you will have died too."

Raven's heart shattered at her words as Eve turned to leave. As she walked out, the rain started pouring, but she seemed oblivious to it. Her internal turmoil ran deep, threatening to drown her.

Suddenly, someone placed an umbrella over her. "I said I don't need you, Raven." But as she turned, she was met with hazel eyes looking at her with amusement.

End of book 1

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

8.4K 566 72
~ COMPLETED ~ BOOK 1 **** **** Amber, a contract agent, had hit a drought when it came to good fortune. After catching her boyfriend cheating on her...
270K 7.5K 26
*NEW BOOK! * BONUS CHAPTERS OUT NOW! They say he's hotter than sin, colder than ice. The CEO of a Fortune 500 company. Built from the ground up. He...
20.8K 3.3K 38
Could you fall in love with someone you never met, saw or spoke to? Sounds unlikely? *** Ella is an overworke...
202K 5.7K 61
Josephine Pryce will do anything to get out of Lakeville even if it means simply tutoring her arch-nemesis Flynn Cauley. Except when it comes to him...