Shifters - The King of Wolves...

By AnnaMaria_93

Living in a human town, Esmara has little knowledge of the seven kinds of shifters who rule the world outside... More

Author's note
Map
CHAPTER 1 - WHISPERS OF TALES AND RUMOURS
CHAPTER 2 - A NIGHT OF SINISTER PERFORMANCES
CHAPTER 3 - ASHES OF INJUSTICE
CHAPTER 4 - THE WALK OF RESILIENCE
CHAPTER 5 - SHEEP AMONG WOLVES
CHAPTER 6 - A LAMB IN A WOLVES DEN
CHAPTER 7 - A DANCE OF DANGEROUS DESIRES
CHAPTER 8 - ECHOES OF LOYALTY
CHAPTER 9 - AMONG THE VEIL OF COMFORT
CHAPTER 10 - FEAST OF DECEPTIONS
CHAPTER 11 - SEA OF SUFFERING
CHAPTER 12 - BOUND BY DESTINY
CHAPTER 13 - EMBRACING FATE
Update
CHAPTER 15 - BETWEEN ICE AND FIRE
CHAPTER 16 - WHISPERS OF DANGER
CHAPTER 17 - AN APPROACHING STORM
CHAPTER 18 - TRACES OF HOME
CHAPTER 19 - CASTLE BLACKBRIDGE
CHAPTER 20 - MEETINGS IN THE SHADOWS
CHAPTER 21 - WEB OF DOUBT
CHAPTER 22 - PROMISES OF FOREVER
CHAPTER 23 - MESSENGER IN THE DARK
CHAPTER 24 - A LABYRINTH OF LIES
Update 2
CHAPTER 25 - SONG OF THE HEART
CHAPTER 26 - A GIFT FROM THE MOON
CHAPTER 27 - THE HIGH LORD'S OATH
CHAPTER 28 - THE TORMENTING NEEDLE OF PAIN
CHAPTER 29 - FORGIVE ME FATHER FOR I DIDN'T SIN
CHAPTER 30 - WE'LL BE SERVING BLOOD TONIGHT
CHAPTER 31 - CLASH OF STEEL AND BONE
CHAPTER 32 - CHAINS OF SORROW
CHAPTER 33 - A TRIAL OF COURAGE
CHAPTER 34 - MANO VALA
CHAPTER 35 - COVER YOUR EYES AND EARS
CHAPTER 36 - POISONOUS THOUGHTS
CHAPTER 37 - SHADOWS OF THE PAST
CHAPTER 38 - LONG LIVE THE KING
CHAPTER 39 - THE ROAD AHEAD
CHAPTER 40 - WISDOM AND BRAVERY
CHAPTER 41 - THE TEMPLE OF INSEHHAN
CHAPTER 42 - THE PLACE THAT IS CALLED HOME
CHAPTER 43 - NEW BEGINNINGS
CHAPTER 44 - THE LANGUAGE OF FLOWERS

CHAPTER 14 - KISS OF THE SOUL

442 39 45
By AnnaMaria_93

Four strangers stood before me, all greeting me with friendly smiles. They all shared the same dark hair and tanned skin. Their clothing was made of vibrant colours, all marked with fine embroidery. Despite their similar attire, subtle distinctions made each outfit unique in its own way.

The woman who had entered first wore a flowing purple dress that was loosely wrapped around her. The fabric draped off her shoulders, leaving them exposed. The sunlight played upon her long, dark hair that cascaded in soft waves around her. Her emerald green eyes stood out dramatically against her skin tone. She was beautiful, almost to the point that it was impossible to look away.

The girl standing next to her was dressed in a yellow dress, her skirt made of layered ruffles. The fabric on her shoulders was slightly puffed, adding a subtle grace to the attire. Her hair was woven into a single braid that stretched down to her hips. She gazed at me with a wide grin, revealing dimples on either side of her cheeks. 

Beside her stood a young man, he couldn't be much older than the girl. He had a tall and slender build, yet his red robe hugged his figure perfectly as if it was tailored just for him. With his hair neatly styled back, it was evident that he paid close attention to his appearance.

A slightly older woman stood behind them. Her dark hair was bundled up in a large knot on top of her head. The orange dress she was wearing had long sleeves that enveloped her arms completely. Her skirt featured a rippling hemline, the edge adorned with beadwork patterns.

Both their appearances and their choice of clothing indicated their foreign origin clearly.

"Ah, you are awake," the older woman spoke, her voice calm yet friendly. "My name is Amaranta Delmar. I trust you've been briefed on our presence by your mate."

I nodded, struggling to find my words. Egon's words about Naguals repeated continuously in my thoughts, an effort to assure myself that they wouldn't unexpectedly take over my mind.

"You're afraid," a soft voice on my left suddenly spoke. I locked eyes with the woman in purple as her brows furrowed slightly, displaying her concentration. Her eyes remained fixed on me as she continued. "Even with your mate beside you. Odd."

Amaranta nodded approvingly at the woman's observation. "Well sensed, Zafira. What else can you tell?"

The woman, Zafira, took one last intense gaze at me before closing her eyes, "She is confused, almost torn. Trapped between her thoughts and perceptions. But I also detect something else, conflicting with her other feelings. She feels safe and at ease. As if she belongs here."

A wave of astonishment washed over me. I was aware that my face could easily betray my thoughts and emotions, yet this was something unlike anything I'd ever experienced. She didn't just read my emotions, she understood them as if they were her own. I didn't like it. I felt exposed as if my boundaries were erased.

"Enough," Egon's voice cut sharply, showing a hint of annoyance as he addressed the woman. "My mate is not accustomed to our ways, can you please be more considerate?"

"Ah, yes, how foolish of me," Zafira apologized sincerely. Despite Egon's sharp tone, she maintained a friendly expression. "I got carried away for a moment, I am sorry."

"No, I must take the blame for this," Amaranta interjected Zafira, taking responsibility. "I should've been more thoughtful."

She gestured towards the boy and girl who had been watching everything in silence all this time. The boy had a serious expression as he scribbled down notes in the book he carried. "Zafira, Isandro, and Calista here are under my guidance," Amaranta continued. "Humans rarely step through our doors you see. The last time was when I was a young pupil myself, precisely 113 years ago."

My jaw dropped in amazement. I knew shifters had extended lifespans compared to humans, but Amaranta didn't seem a day older than forty-five. I cast a swift glance at Egon, who continued to eye the Naguals in front of us with an irked look. I wondered if he, too, was older than he seemed. The fact that I knew so little about him, despite the weight of expectations placed on us, made me feel dejected once again.

"With your permission," Amaranta interrupted my thoughts as she directed her attention to me. "May one of us ease your emotions? It's best if we settle your nerves before we start with our conversation."

Nervously, I moved closer to Egon, who responded by softly clasping my hand. His touch calmed my nerves tremendously, but I knew she was right. My mind was filled with questions. To understand what had occurred, I needed my undivided focus. I wanted to ease my tension, not continuously monitoring the shifters in the room and assessing their every move.

With a lump in my throat, I opened my mouth to speak. "Will it hurt?"

Amaranta smiled reassuringly, "No need to fear. It will feel like a gentle, warm embrace is caressing your soul."

I nodded, agreeing to her request. "Alright," I murmured.

With a final smile, Amaranta turned her gaze towards Isandro, who immediately straightened his back. "Isandro, I know you almost have your trial, however, as an unmated male, you cannot perform this task." The boy seemed disappointed but nodded his head in understanding and went back to writing in his notebook.

"Calista, please come forward," Amaranta called out to the girl. "This is your chance to apply what you've learned."

Calista immediately stepped forward, her eyes shining bright with anticipation as she waited for further instructions.

"It shouldn't be difficult, most of her emotions are already calmed down by the influence of her mate." Calista nodded vigorously at Amaranta's words, she seemed eager to convey the task she was given. "Just focus on her core and let your spirit guide you further," Amaranta explained.

With a final nod, Calista turned around and faced me with a broad smile. "May I?" She asked cheerfully, closing the gap between us with brisk steps and extending her hand toward me.

I nodded while I gave her my hand.

"Don't worry," she reassured me as she sat down on the stool next to my bed, "it's going to feel really nice."

Suddenly Calista's face turned serious as she closed her eyes. A warm sensation enveloped me immediately, spreading from my toes to the crown of my head. It felt like I submerged myself in soothing water. The anxieties that burdened me faded away, leaving a sense of calmness. It was as if a veil had been lifted, the world around me seemed clearer.

It was odd to have been so anxious when there was nothing to fear. Not only were the Naguals friendly, but Egon was by my side too. Nothing could happen to me.

Opening her eyes, Calista beamed at me. "Better now, isn't it?"

Surprised, but grateful, I nodded my head. "Yes, thank you."

As I glanced up at Egon, I anticipated a change in my feelings toward him, yet everything felt as comforting and familiar as ever. With a smile, I realized that my feelings towards him were genuine. Egon mirrored my smile before lowering himself to press a gentle kiss on my forehead. "I'm proud of you," he whispered softly. My cheeks flushed red in response to his actions and words.

"What happens now?" Egon shifted his focus to Amaranta. "Now that my mate is awake and calm, can you finally share the details you have about the poison?"

"Not just yet," Amaranta responded as she quietly began to pace around the room. "Before anything else, I'd like to know whether Esmara has any recollection of the events of that night."

I shook my head. "No, sorry. The last thing I remember is being at the Ashen Moon Pack party, talking to Rolf. After that, it's nothing more than vague shadows."

"Interesting," Amaranta muttered quietly, almost as if she was speaking to herself. "It seems our abilities might have a stronger effect on you because you're human."

In the corner of my eye, I noticed that Isandro was taking notes fiercely. At this rate, his notebook would soon run out of space. Calista observed everything in silence, her eyes were filled with admiration as she watched Amaranta's every move. Zafira mirrored Amaranta's serious expression, lost in her thoughts and oblivious to her surroundings.

"Maybe we can give her some Desmaleficio?" Zafira suggested to Amaranta. "Perhaps it will speed up the process."

"Good thinking," Amaranta acknowledged vaguely, her attention diverted to the setting sun outside. "However, given her human nature, we're uncertain about the potential effects it might have on her."

"Do we have any other options?" Zafira inquired.

"I was thinking about using Encantalia," Amaranta answered. "It's less strong but it will have the same effect."

Though I couldn't grasp the meaning, I patiently listened to every word both women spoke. However, unlike me, Egon's impatience became increasingly evident as he sighed with growing annoyance.

Oblivious to Egon's mood, the two women proceeded with their conversation.

"Perhaps diluting it in water might offer a positive effect, rather than injecting it directly into her system."

Amaranta nodded her head determinedly. "That could work."

"Enough!" Egon's voice boomed with frustration, his eyes were pitch black once again. "No one is giving anything to my mate if we are not certain about the full effects."

"Egon," I started, but I quickly shut my mouth when his black eyes were focused on me. Even though his expression somehow softened when his gaze fell on me, his eyes remained dark.

"No, Esmara," Egon replied, his tone much softer. "I've witnessed how you're body reacted to unknown stuff before, I won't let it happen again."

"You're well aware that we wouldn't poison your mate, Alpha," Amaranta interjected, a hint of disapproval in her tone. "Our objective is to seek answers, much like yourself. It's crucial that we grasp the complete details of the incident, and Esmara's memories hold immense significance," she continued to explain.

Seeing that Egon remained steadfast, she let out a deep sigh. "It might take weeks for Esmara to retrieve her memories, we wouldn't be around to offer our assistance."

"I couldn't care less," Egon stated plainly.

A thick silence enveloped the room as Egon and Amaranta held their ground, both maintaining a stubborn stare. The smile had vanished from Calista's face and Isandro's gaze had finally lifted from his notes, his legs trembling slightly with fear.

"Fine," Amaranta sighed, defeated. "In that case, could you keep us updated by sending a letter when you've gathered more details?"

Egon nodded in agreement, his expression remained irritated, yet his eyes gradually returned to their familiar blue colour.

"Now, if you don't mind," Egon began. "Could you enlighten us about details of the poison my mate was exposed to? Your curiosity suggests it might not be something you're well acquainted with."

"You are correct," Amaranta replied, her demeanour once again friendly, almost as if the previous disagreement with Egon hadn't occurred. "It is an exceedingly rare toxin. I've only seen it once before. The poison in question is called Tormentum. Its sole purpose is to amplify pain, influencing the nerve system to an excruciating level. Without proper medication, it's impossible to eliminate it from your body completely."

My face drained of colour due to her revelation. It wasn't fear, but sheer disbelief. What possible reason could someone have to do this to me?

Beside me, Egon's eyes shifted back to black, however, it was clear that it was not irritation which caused it this time. His anger was evident as his entire body began to tremble, a low growl seemed to emanate from deep within him. There was a gradual transformation visible in his face, his teeth started to elongate and grow in size, creating a noticeable change. The veins on his face bulged, almost ready to explode, as he battled vigorously against his instincts.

Somewhere in the distance, a cry of fear reached my ears, yet I disregarded it, following my instincts. Without hesitation, I manoeuvred myself onto his lap, holding his face between my hands. "Egon," I called out to him, trying to draw his attention. "It's alright. I'm here, feeling perfectly fine now."

His dark eyes snapped to me, a deep rumble still emanating from within him. Gently, I ran my fingers across his cheek, sensing the sparks between us as I pressed my nose against his.

"It's alright, I'm right here," I kept whispering while maintaining eye contact. After a while, his trembling finally subsided and his eyes returned to their normal state. Exhaling heavily, he buried his face against my neck and wrapped his arms around me, enveloping me in a tight embrace. Our bodies seemed to mould perfectly together as if I belonged here. It felt right, no, it felt like –

"Ah, the mate bond. It's a marvellous thing, isn't it?" Amaranta's voice suddenly resonated throughout the room.

My body froze in fright, I had entirely forgotten about the presence of the others in the room. Noticing the shift in my demeanour, Egon started to chuckle softly. "So innocent," he murmured, placing another affectionate kiss on my forehead. "And thank you," he whispered in my ear before he straightened up. However, instead of relocating me back to the bed, he nestled me firmly on his lap, making it impossible for me to reposition myself elsewhere. But honestly, I didn't wish to.

"Forgive me for my outburst," Egon apologized to the Naguals before us. Except for Amaranta, fear was evident on their faces. "My Lycan was agitated by your news, making it challenging to maintain control," Egon admitted.

"That's precisely why I hesitated to inform you until your mate was awake and composed," Amaranta clarified with a smile. Behind her, Isandro immediately resumed scribbling in his book as soon as she spoke.

"That poison you mentioned sounds horrifying," I began. "Why would someone do this to me?"

"That's the issue. It's not meant to be fatal but to cause excruciating pain. Only someone who seeks personal revenge, but does not wish to kill, would have a motive. I'm guessing you don't have any personal enemies?" Amaranta questioned.

I shook my head, I had never angered someone to the extent for them to take such extreme action.

"That means we're left with only two possibilities," Amaranta stated. "Either someone has indeed discovered that you are mates and as a way to weaken the Alpha, you became a target. Or the poison had accidentally ended up in you, while it was intended for someone else," she remarked, redirecting her gaze to Egon.

I felt as though my heart was lodged in my throat. Egon? It seemed Calista's powers had ceased a bit as sheer terror began to overwhelm me. The thought of someone intending to harm Egon was too distressing for me.

"However, that's purely speculation. We won't know for sure without having more information about that evening," Amaranta continued. "For now, I would like to suggest we call it a day and we all find some rest for the evening. You both have quite a few demanding days ahead as your mate must head back to his pack now that you're feeling better." She added before turning around and making her way towards the door.

"Wait!" I called out. I was desperate for a bath to refresh myself. I felt dirty, like I hadn't washed myself in days. Suddenly, it struck me how I was seated on Egon's lap in this condition, knowing fully well about his sharp sense of smell. What on earth would he think?!

Before I could pose my question, Amaranta beat me to it. "Calista can take you to a bathroom to freshen up."

I nodded enthusiastically and tried to free myself from Egon's firm hold, but I was unable to move. "Egon, I can't move" I commented to him.

"I'll come with," he suggested, rising to his feet and bringing me along before gently setting my feet back on the ground.

"You can't come to the bathroom with me!" I exclaimed, startled.

He rolled his eyes. "I won't come in, I'll wait for you outside."

I took in the dark circles under his eyes. If it's true that we still have days to travel, I'd rather he got as much rest as possible. "No need for that, Calista will accompany me."

"You are afraid of shifters."

"Not of the Naguals anymore."

He arched his eyebrow, giving me a doubtful look.

I sighed, even though we had only known each other for a short time, I knew there was no point in lying. "Alright, perhaps I'm still a bit fearful of them. But I can see how exhausted you are,' I admitted. "I need you to rest, or else I won't be able to relax in the bath," I murmured as I lowered my head.

Following a brief pause, I glanced up at him, noticing doubt in his eyes. However, he relented with a sigh. "Fine, but if you're not back in an hour, I'll come looking for you. I won't care if you're naked in the bath or not."

He did not just say that! With a flushed face, I nodded vigorously before hastily bolting out the door. Egon's laughter echoed as I shut the door behind me.

As I stepped into the hallway, I met Calista. The gleam in her eyes made it evident she had overheard the conversation between Egon and me. Nevertheless, she chose not to mention it and began navigating me through the labyrinth of corridors.

The hallway mirrored the pristine white of my room. Numerous stained glass windows surrounded us, each adorned with a different animal. As I caught sight of the silhouette of a dog, it dawned on me that the shapes on the glass must represent the several shifter forms of the Naguals. I made an effort to observe every animal shape I encountered, intrigued by the range of creatures the Naguals could shift into.

"I've never witnessed such calmness in an Alpha, especially not a Lycan," Calista remarked suddenly. "It's incredible to see the impact a mate can have."

Calm? I found Egon rather tense tonight with his frequent shifts in emotions.

"I've never seen a human as the mate of a shifter either. How did you come to know?" asked Calista.

"I just found out earlier today," I clarified.

"Seriously?" Calista's mouth hung open in amazement. "It's surprising that the Alpha allows you to be on your own."

"What do you mean?" I asked her as we stepped into the bathroom. The tub positioned in the centre of the room was already brimming with warm water, enveloping the room in steam.

"The instincts of an Alpha are stronger than those of any other rank," she explained while she sniffed at several bottles that were neatly arranged in the cupboards, occasionally pouring their contents into the bath.

"Especially with a Lycan. Typically, an Alpha cannot separate from its mate for months. Considering you've just found out you're his mate, I assume you two haven't known each other for months?" she inquired.

I shook my head in disbelief. "No, we only met about a week ago."

The astonishment on Calista's face was magnified. "Your mate must be very strong, to maintain such self-restraint."

I didn't answer. Was Egon suppressing himself and his instincts for my sake? I knew he was saying we'd do everything at my speed, yet I didn't want him to feel compelled to act against his instincts.

"Ah, found it!" Calista exclaimed suddenly, attempting to reach for the top bottle on her tiptoes. However, she was too short to reach it. With a sigh of frustration, Calista stood up straight again. She shrugged her shoulders, and suddenly, with a thud, her dress dropped to the floor.

"What?!" I yelled in surprise. Calista had vanished in an instant, and a tiny brown squirrel emerged from beneath the folds of her dress. The creature swiftly crawled up the cupboard, displaying remarkable agility as it ascended toward the highest shelf. Once there, the squirrel deftly used its tail to nudge the bottle, causing it to tumble and land softly on the fabric of the dress.

Speeding down, the squirrel shifted back once it reached the ground and before I could even blink, Calista stood naked in front of me. She leaned down to grab the bottle that had fallen on her dress and headed to the tub to pour its contents.

When she turned around, she noticed my surprised expression. "Oh, my bad. I keep forgetting you're human. Shifting into my animal form is something I do without thinking. I imagine it must be surprising for you."

I averted my gaze quickly, she appeared unfazed by being naked in front of someone she didn't know.

"Oh yes, I've been informed about that as well," Calista remarked as she noticed my discomfort. "They've told me that humans have more trouble with someone else's nudity. I'll get dressed, you can go into the bath. I promise I won't look."

Rapidly, I slipped out of the lengthy white nightgown I'd been given and stepped into the warm water that had turned into a haven of bubbles in the meantime. As I submerged myself entirely, I heard Calista take a seat behind me. "Would you like me to wash your hair?" she offered.

"That is kind of you, thanks" I responded.

Calista hummed softly while applying some products to my hair, she started to massage my scalp gently. Her touch was exquisite, and as she continued, my eyelids began to grow heavier under the soothing sensation.

To prevent myself from dozing off, I chose to break the silence. "Egon told me that Naguals can transform into different animals. Is that right?"

"Yes, that's correct," Calista replied. "As I had just demonstrated so thoughtlessly, my shifter form is that of a squirrel." Calista chuckled, having a conversation with her was effortless and easy. "However, anyone who is born in a different year can transform into a different animal. Isandro, who is two years older than me, can shift into a peacock. Zafira in a swan and Amaranta in a Gazelle."

She gently tilted my head to rinse my hair in the water, all the while continuing with her narrative. "In time, the animals will cycle through again, but it will take many years. It won't be until Amaranta is very old that the next generation of gazelles will come."

After rinsing thoroughly, she coated my hair with a different product. The fragrance evoked memories of a field of wildflowers, instantly captivating my senses.

"How old can Naguals get?" I asked her as she massaged my head once more.

"The eldest nagual ever lived became 203 years old. However, that is exceedingly rare, our species typically lives for an average of 180 years."

I was taken aback— 180 years, a century older than the average human. "And what about Lycans?" I asked, my throat tightening.

"Hmm, I'm not entirely sure," Calista replied with a hint of doubt. "Lycans, much like that of Kitsunes and Berserkers, differs significantly from most other shifters. It's been said that some of their species have the potential to live for a thousand years."

I paled at the thought. A thousand years?! It took me by surprise. I began to speculate more about Egon's age. Could I come to terms with the idea of him being a thousand years old? I anticipated struggling if he turned out to be as old as someone who could be my grandfather. However, this overshadowed that thought with ease.

To distract myself, I swiftly shifted to another topic. "I wanted to thank you for what you did earlier, you know, with calming my nerves."

"Not at all, I'm just thankful that you allowed me," Calista responded immediately. "I've only been training for a year now, but I'm getting more and more opportunities to engage in practice. My goal is to manage an infirmary like Amaranta one day," Calista expressed, her admiration for the woman was evident in her voice.

"It felt incredible. I think you did an amazing job."

Calista chuckled softly, "That's kind of you, but as Amaranta mentioned, it's not a very complicated procedure. In our language, we refer to it as 'Beso del alma.' It translates to 'Kiss of the soul,' and it's one of the first abilities we learn to control."

"That sounds accurate" I responded, recalling the sensation.

"Indeed, it does," Calista replied. "Yet, the effects are temporary, especially since I'm a beginner at this, it'll likely to wear off quicker than usual. You have to keep in mind that when your memories resurface, as Amaranta pointed out, it might be overwhelming to deal with everything."

I nodded in understanding. I could feel that her powers still had an influence on me, although it was indeed to a lesser extent than before.

"Alright, I'm all done," Calista announced suddenly. "I'll be waiting outside, giving you time to change in peace. I'll take you back to your room afterwards."

As Calista exited the room, I hastened to dry myself using the cloth placed next to the bath. Upon dressing back into a fresh nightgown, I exited the bathroom and quietly trailed behind Calista as she led the way to my room.

"Thank you for everything, It was nice meeting you," I expressed to Calista upon entering my door.

"Of course, and the feeling is mutual," she replied, smiling, before walking away.

As I opened the door, I noticed Egon stretched out on the bed. It was obvious that he was fast asleep, evident from the slow rise and fall of his chest and the faint, gentle snore that escaped from him. As I looked down at him, a smile formed on my face. He was breathtaking. Whether he was a Lycan, a King, or even had lived for a thousand years seemed suddenly so insignificant, and it was at that moment that I realized I was head over heels in love with him.

Without hesitation, I slid into bed next to him. As if he sensed my presence, he immediately turned towards me, wrapping his arms around me and embracing me tightly. He buried his face in my neck once more, and again, it felt like I was precisely where I belonged. Overwhelmed by a feeling of happiness I've never felt before, I drifted off into a serene sleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2M 33.8K 37
A N A M A Z O N B E S T S E L L E R ORIGINALLY 27.2M READS ON WATTPAD! SAMPLE OF DRAFT MANUSCRIPT - 70%. OFFICIALLY PUBLISHED: 20th November...
146K 7.8K 43
*Sequel to CREATURES OF THE NIGHT / Cannot be read as a standalone* It's been three months since Elias' body went missing, and without him, the shift...
12K 1.1K 48
Evie is haunted by her past, and so tangled up with her best friend and room mate she isn't even sure she remembers how to be an independent person a...
71.4K 3.2K 36
{ I n p r o g r e s s } /ˈwerˌwo͝olf/: a human with the ability to shapeshift into a wolf or a therianthropic hybrid wolf-like creature. After the tr...