Sanguine || Astarion x Reader

By retrolokii

HIATUS!! Collection of Astarion one-shots based on my Bard!Tav playthrough!! Content warnings are mentioned... More

A Simple Plan Goes Awry
Handsome, Don't You Think?
To Be Alone
It Will Come Back
In The Basement (We Find The Things We Love)
His Majesty
Bards Being Bards
Excuse Me, Are You a Couple?
Found Myself In You
A Past Life
You're Alive (At Least as Far as I Can Tell You Are)
Loving Him
Would That I - Part 1
Would That I - Part 2
Valentine's Day Drabble!
Run To Me, Lover
Darling, I Thought We Had Someone Special

True Love's Caress

1.6K 37 18
By retrolokii

In which you unknowingly gift Astarion a bonding ring.

.

.

.

.

The darkness of the Shadowlands is unsettling, oppressive. It suffocates and kills every bit of hope a lost wanderer could have. Not because they could get lost or robbed, but because they could get killed. Easily and without a trace, save for a sorry husk of their old self.

They would be lucky if their soul merely got taken to Avernus. But you know that would be an outcome too kind for the likes of the heavy curse Ketheric Thorm had plagued the land with.

You had travelled to Moonrise Towers under the guidance of Kar'niss, the drider that answered when you played the Spider's Lute. He had been incessant that you stayed within the glow of the Moonlantern he carried. And stayed with him you did. Even killing Harpers just to cement your image as a True Soul.

So, when you arrived at the Last Light Inn, a heavy guilt weighed on your shoulders while talking to Jaheira, former savior of Baldur's Gate, present High Harper on a mission to defeat Ketheric Thorm.

Now, as you sit beneath what little moonlight could shine through the dense shadows, you sigh in relief. A temporary reprieve was still a reprieve. Gods know you need one.

"You know I can still see you." You tried to hide a smile when you see a familiar someone try and creep up on you.

Astarion feels your gaze pierce through him despite being "invisible". You see his eyes slightly widen beneath the hood and mask he has his face covered with.

Damn this, he thinks. The hood promised invisibility. It literally says so in an artifact book!

He grumbles some annoyances beneath his breath before taking off the hood petulantly. His pearl white curls bounce briefly before settling back into place.

"You're no fun." Astarion plops himself beside you in front of your tent.

You had been peacefully reading a book when you noticed a not-so-subtle hooded figure creep up on you. Sure, Astarion had been nearly soundless when he took his steps. But, his shiny Drow armor had been anything but stealthy. He also had that Shadow of Menzoberranzan hood on.

He thinks he'd been invisible.

Well, he was.

You just had some... perks.

You try and stifle a laugh at a sudden realization. "Did you forget the Volo Incident?"

Astarion pursed his lips, his eyes gazing everywhere around camp but yours.

"What incident?"

You laugh, full and heartily. It rakes it's way through Astarion's very being, shaking him to his core. It makes him want to laugh with you too. Though, he can't seem to figure out why. Had his chest always been this tight?

"Why are you sneaking up on me anyway?"

Astarion rolls his eyes. "Must that really be asked? If you must know, darling, I'm terribly bored. I thought scaring you would cure me of it."

"Scaring me?" You repeat in a feign offense, a hand fluttering to your chest. "I'm not scared of anything."

Astarion looks at you with deadpanned eyes. The no nonsense, no bullshit, kind of glare. One he seems to do so with such ease.

"What?" You asked. He's immediately taking pleasure in your exasperation. Perhaps, scaring you wouldn't cure him of his boredom, but ruffling your feathers might just be his antidote.

"Darling, you screamed bloody murder when you saw a cricket in the Underdark."

"In my defense," you speak. "I thought it was a tiny but deadly sort of creature. I had every reason to be on my toes."

Astarion scoffs at your excuse.

"And my senses were right!" You retorted. "There was a Hook Horror sleeping just behind it!"

Astarion wistfully remembers when he felt his dagger sink into one of those monstrous creatures. Then, he grimaced when he remembered the taste of its bitter blood. He was sure he had been on an acid trip for a good hour or two. Even when they rested that night, he swore the ceiling of his tent was swirling with color.

"You're an odd one, you know?"

"How so?"

Astarion finally faces you, those crimson red eyes finally meeting yours. You'd never admit you would miss them, but you do. If Astarion felt your pulse race, he doesn't let you know.

"You're always afraid of the most mundane things. Yet, when you face actual aberrations and beasts... you're nothing but fearless. You stood in front of Ketheric Thorm and deceived him like it was nothing."

He almost says it with a sort of... reverence.

Almost.

You smile at his words. There's a hidden complement in it. It's a habit you know he does when he actually means what he says. Every sincere thing he says is often hidden in his words.

"I am a complex leader, Astarion. You'd do well to remember that." You tease and puff up your chest with faux pride.

"That you are, dear. That you are."

"I'm so glad you agree." You absentmindedly place your hand over his forearm to instill your point. You paid it no mind.

But for Astarion?

Your touch burned a mark on his skin, one he was sure he would feel even in his meditations. What is with you and your touch? Why doesn't he feel repulsed? Why does he seek it for gods sake?

"Oh! I almost forgot," you pipe up, reaching for something deep in your pockets, leaving Astarion to silently observe you with a raised silver brow. "I wanted to give this to you."

You pull out a ring with a gold band and a ruby pendant. It glimmered beautifully in the dull moonlight, almost matching Astarion's crimson eyes themselves.

"Cute." He says when he takes it out of your hands. He holds it in his palms delicately, suddenly unable to think of an appropriate response at your unexpected kindness. "Though, I don't think gold suits my pale pallor too much."

Deflect. Deflect. Deflect.

You pout at him. "Wear it. Please?" Astarion looks over at you and instantly regrets looking into your pleading eyes. What was he supposed to do now that his immunity to your— whatever you are— had been waning consistently?

"Gale said I could cast a Warding spell over the person that wore the matching ring." You explain, showing Astarion the other ring already placed around your finger.

Astarion slides the ring over his pointer finger, seemingly out of reluctance. Though, he feels anything but.

"Why would you give this to me out of all of our weird camp of strays and vagabonds? Gods know Gale needs the extra protection." He had asked with a teasing lilt to his voice. He was not prepared with what you were about to say.

"Because I wanted to be able to protect you."

Astarion's dead heart aches. Sure, that had been part of his initial plan: charm you, sleep with you, manipulate you into thinking he cares about you so you would be on his side. So you would protect him.

Now that you actually say it to his face, he can't help but feel the desperate need to reciprocate whatever you were promising him.

"How... sweet."

You sigh deeply. You had gone too far you think. You always do in whatever romantic relationship you got yourself in. Too fast, too raw, too real. That's what your exes said about you. And they were right, you know it yourself.

Astarion examines the ring on his finger, in an attempt to soothe the sudden tension in the air. He notices the engraving on the gold band: True Love's Caress.

"Would you look at that," Astarion says, pleased. "Mine says 'True Love's Caress."

You looked at him, eyebrows knitted, cheeks slowly going red. "What?" You weren't aware of that fact. You hadn't even noticed it.

...What were the chances that Gale noticed the engravings and pushed you to give it to Astarion anyway?

"What does yours say, darling?" Astarion asked, revelling in your sudden sheepishness.

You took off the ring from your finger and traced the faint engravings on the band.

"True Love's Embrace." You say, absolutely mortified. "I'm so sorry, Astarion. If I had known that these were ceremonial bonding rings I wouldn't have even picked them up from the corpses..."

"Well," Astarion says, extending his hand to admire the ruby ring upon his wonderfully manicured hands. You still don't know where he gets the time to pamper himself in between fights. "I'm not giving it back."

He had a teasing smirk on his face, his eyes full of genuine mirth. It's a sight you always crave to see. To see something real flash across his features.

You sigh in relief. "Good. I won't take it back then."

Astarion laughs, light and somewhat content. "Oh, darling," he cooed rather mockingly. "You wouldn't be able to even if you tried."

You squint at him, a knowing smile growing on your face. "Is that a challenge?"

Wordlessly, Astarion stands up, patting himself down to get rid of the dirt that clung onto his breeches. He looks at you. A look you know all too well. His crimson eyes become bloodier, darker, daring you to slight him.

When he knows you got his signal, he takes off in a sprint.

"You little shit!"

.

.

.

.

Hi!! Many of these one-shots are going to be out of order and I apologize in advance for that.

Though, I do plan to write a whole fic when I do my Paladin!Tav Durge playthrough so stay tuned for that!

Anyways, requests are open!!

Feel free to DM or comment if you guys have ideas.

Enjoy!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.5K 266 19
Elysium, a druid sorceress, poisoned by an unknown basilisk. With the lack of ingredients, she and her companions must travel back to Baldurs Gate af...
931 22 14
For Astarion, it's an almost-normal morning at the camp. But his search for a fresh vial of blood will soon turn into an epic adventure with both fri...
14.9K 479 40
As the Ash Settles, is my take on what happens to the group of companions after saving Baldur's Gate. As the ash settles and the drinks are pouring a...